• ...
5
 26
 1,834

The Storm

Shine Boy found Leo in a little opening not far from the Shroom Lodge where Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were not far playing with a sled. Leo was looking at his damaged gift sadly. Feeling responsible, Shine Boy walked to him.

“I’m sorry I let you down, Leo.” He sighed.

“I don’t blame you, Tony. You were trying to help so we can wrap my gift.”

Shine Boy sat by Leo on the log. “So much for a Merry Christmas, huh?”

“Well, you gotta admit, we made a pretty good team.”

“Yeah, we did.” Shine Boy smiled before pondering. “You know, there is a town just down this hill. If we hurry, we can find a replacement for your secret santa.”

“That’s great!” Leo smiled before realizing something. “But I shouldn’t show myself in that town.”

Shine Boy started to pace back and forth. “Well, the strategist in me suggests I can go with you and get the gift from the store for you, but the scout in me thinks we should get someone, so we use the buddy system. On the other hand, the guilt in me believes I shouldn’t go back at the lodge after the stunt I pulled.” Shine Boy went on and on until a voice spoke up.

“Maybe I could tag along?”

Shine Boy and Leo looked to see Wallflower standing there in her winter apparel.

“Wallflower! How long have you been standing there?” Shine Boy asked sheepishly.

“Sorry if we were ignoring you.” Leo added.

Wallflower smiled. “It’s okay. It’s not as bad as it was before. I came out around when Shine Boy was on about the scout in him. Why do you guys need to head to town?”

Shine Boy explained. “Leo’s gift for our secret santa later tonight got broken at the snowball war back at the lodge.”

“Yeah, Applejack and Raph were telling me about that.” Wallflower mentioned.

“They’re mad at me, aren’t they?” Shine Boy sighed.

“They seemed more bushed than mad.”

“Well, I’m not risking it. Besides, I want to make sure Leo has a gift to give.” Shine Boy stated.

“If we hurry now, we should be back in time for the celebration tonight.” Leo added.

Wallflower nodded. “Count me in.”

“Well then, Let’s go!” Shine Boy declared as the three headed out.

“See you guys later!” Sweetie Belle called.

“Hurry back!” Scootaloo added.

The three waved back and continued to head to town, unaware some dark clouds were closing in.

Meanwhile, back at the Shroom Lodge, everyone from the snowball fight went back inside to help with setting up for the Christmas celebration that night. While others were still practicing for the night’s show, Flash Sentry played a holiday classic with band.

As everyone applauded to the number, Twilight noticed Lancer still looking blue and walked over in hopes to cheer him up.

“Hey. Got room for one more?” she greeted.

“Sure.” Lancer sighed as Twilight sat right beside him.

“So why the long face?”

“It’s nothing.” Lancer tried to deny the unconvinced Twilight.

“Lancer, as long as you’ve helped us, you never have been much of a downer. I know when something is bothering you. It’s not really healthy to keep things bottled up. You can tell me.”

Lancer, knowing Twilight was right, took a deep breath and began to explain. “Okay. You remember when I told you guys why I wanted to be trained as a ninja?”

“Because your dad was in the army? Yes I remember.”

“Well, ever since dad fell in the line of duty, mom had to work twice as hard at her job so she could take care of me and Logan. Sure, Melody’s folks has helped out when we formed the Rock n’beats, it’s just… I really wish we could celebrate the holidays. as a family.”

Twilight gave a comforting smile as she patted Lancer’s shoulder. “Lancer, I understand how you feel.”

“You do?”

Twilight nodded. “When my brother moved out, my family had holidays where he couldn’t join us. I felt bad at first, but my mom told me that even though he couldn’t join us, he still thinks about us. Just sometimes life complicates things. All we can do is give him our best wishes.”

As Twilight talked to Lancer, Logan was nearby and heard the whole thing and smiled at what he heard.

“So, I’m sure your mom wishes she could join you as well. But what she does she does for love. I’m sure she would rather be here than at work. But maybe you should talk to her about how you feel. Okay?”

Lancer smiled a little. “Okay.”

“Good. I gotta go find Leo. Feel free to talk to me if you still feel down.” Twilight patted his arm before getting up and walking away. Lancer felt a little better, but still felt down about his mother not there with him.

Meanwhile, Pinkie and Sonata were helping passing out cookies and Hot cocoa to everyone working hard.

“Thank you both for helping to make those cookies.” Mr. Moochick told them.

“It was our pleasure, Mr. Moochick.” Smiled Pinkie.

“I’m just glad we got done with practice in time so I can help.” Sonata grinned.

“They’re really good!” Cisco said passing by as Sonata blushed.

“Better get them passed out before Cisco eats them all.” Joked Frostee who was behind him.

Over by the almost finished Christmas tree, some of the Ninjas and Rainbooms looked at it.

“It is so magnifico!” Gabby awed.

“Everyone did a great job trimming it.” Rarity added.

“Yes, they did.” Karai nodded.

“It’s just missing one little thing.” The group looked to see Vice Principal Luna walk up with the star. “Who would like to do the honors?”

Karai remembered when Leo let her put the star on the tree last Christmas since it was her first Christmas ever. She then looked over to Sapphire Night, who had recently joined their Hamato Clan, and smiled. “I say Sapphire should do it.”

“Me?” Sapphire blinked.

“It’s your first Christmas with us. So, I believe you should have the privilege.” Karai explained as everyone agreed.

Sapphire smiled as Luna handed her the star. But she then noticed Lancer sitting at a table looking sad at a cup of cocoa. “One sec, guys.” Sapphire said as she walked up to the young guitarist. “Hey. Just the guy I wanted to see. Wanna help me put this on the tree?”

“But how can I help?” Lancer asked.

“I think we can work something out. C’mon!” Sapphire smiled as she led Lancer to the tree. Then Lancer sat on Sapphire’s shoulders as he put the star on the tree as a majority of the groups applauded.

“Good call.” Shini whispered to Sapphire who winked.

Just then, a joyful cry came from the doors.

“We’re here! We’re here! We’re- WHOA!”

Everyone looked to it was Pidgeon Pete, who had fallen on the icy path. As Derpy came and helped him up, the other Mighty Mutanimals who carefully avoided the ice.

“I better go see if I can find some salt.” Gamer sighed as he looked for a bag.

“Hey, Everyone!” Greeted Slash.

“Merry Christmas, Slash!” Fluttershy smiled.

“Leatherhead!” Mikey and Pinkie ran to embrace the mutant alligator.

“Merry Christmas, Michelangelo and Pinkie Pie.” Smiled Leatherhead.

“Apologies on being late.” Rockwell said as Rainbow took his coat.

“We kept getting lost despite Rockwell had the right directions as well as having to make pit stops.” Bandit added as he received a hug from Juniper.

“It wasn’t so bad. We found some others who were really lost.” Mondo motioned to the door. Coming to the door were the former villain duo now friends, Bebop and Rocksteady.

“Happy Holidays, Yo!” Bebop cheered before he slipped on the icy path. Luckily, Rocksteady was able to catch him and the two entered.

“Da! Greetings of Season to all!” Rocksteady chimed.

“We’re glad you all could make it.” Sunset greeted.

Principal Celestia and VP Luna walked up to the group. “Thank you all for coming.”

“We got a couple rooms left so let’s get you all organized so you can all relax and enjoy.” Luna added.

As the mutants follow the sisters, Twilight was looking around a little concerned.

Rarity noticed. “Is everyone alright, Darling?”

“Did you lose something?” Sunset wondered.

Pinkie gasped. “You didn’t lose Spike, did you?”

“I’m right here, you know.”

Everyone looked to Spike glaring where he was playing with Chompy.

“well, that’s a relief.” Sighed Fluttershy.

“I’m looking for Leo. Has anyone seen him?” Twilight wondered.

“Can’t say that I have.” Donnie shrugged.

“Not since the snowball fight.” Applejack stated.

“Yeah. The one Shine Boy had to cheat in.” grumbled Raph, despite Mona Lisa coming to rub his shoulder.

“I don’t know. He had some pretty cool moves.” Frostee shrugged while fixing a couple drones.

“If you would’ve let him and Leo pass, it wouldn’t have happened.” Scolded Layla.

“I’m sure he had his reasons.” Love Shine shrugged.

“Well…” Sunset began to say before Gamer spoke up looking around.

“Speaking of Bro, where is he?”

“He was with Leonardo last time I saw him.” Serenity pondered.

Just then, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo came walking in as Sweetie Belle answered, “Oh! He and Wallflower went with Leo to town to replace his broken present.” The two then went to get some cocoa.

“Oh, is that all? So you see, Twi-” Rainbow started to say before she realized something, “Broken present? Oh no! What have I done? What have I done?”

Sunset, Tony, Layla, and Gabby looked at each other with concern.

“Whatever is the matter, Darling?” Rarity curiously asked.

Before Rainbow could answer, Cranky Doodle called to everyone.

“Everyone piped down! You should hear this!” he turned up the TV in the lounge which got everyone’s attention as they saw the TV reporter.

“This just in. A severe snowstorm warning has been issued near the mountain area. According to our radar, the storm should subside by later this evening. Please remain indoors and to those traveling, be safe and have a happly holiday.”

Everyone looked to the windows to see outside has clouded up and snow was blowing like crazy.

“Holy Chalupa! How’d it get so cloudy all the sudden?” Mikey examined.

“Man! Look at the snow!” gasped Cisco.

“I can barely see the outside.” Shini agreed.

“Dang! It’s a good thing we got here sooner!” Bebop stated.

“Da! Just looking at it makes me think of Mama Russia!” Rocksteady added.

“You’d have to be nuts to be out there.” Frostee pointed out.

“But, Shine Boy’s out there.” Gamer muttered to himself.

Twilight was able to hear him with equal worry. “And Leo. And Wallflower.”

“Tony.” Serenity worried.

Sunset and Spike showed the same worry as they all look out into the snow in hopes to see the three.



To be continued

Author's Note:

Couple facts:
- Shine Boy's pacing is inspired by a scene from 'An American Tail: Fievel Goes West'
- I guess I have a running gag with forgetting Spike.
- Having Sapphire to get Lancer to help her put the star on the tree is based on a scene in the christmas episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I had Karai suggest it as a call back to A Turtle Rainboom Christmas.

Part 3 coming soon