• Published 28th Nov 2021
  • 982 Views, 8 Comments

Making the Magic: Friendship Shorts - WaywardSon



A collection of short scenes of developing friendships

  • ...
0
 8
 982

5. Days Gone By

Sunny Starscout sat at the table in Hitch’s kitchen, staring at the picture in her hoof, as the morning sun flooded the room with warmth and light. In her other hoof she held an oblong wooden medallion, the center carved out in the shape of a very familiar double star. A sad smile spread over her lips as she once again traced every contour of her father’s smiling face into her memory.

“We did it, Dad,” she said softly, looking out the window at the view of Maretime Bay. In the distance she could see a few pegasi flying over the seashore, and even the glow of unicorn magic as somepony left a shop followed by a floating array of shopping bags. “Peace with pegasi, unity with unicorns, we did it all, just like you knew we would. Even if the house got a little busted up in the process, it was worth it.” She looked back at the photo, tears welling in her eyes. “I only wish you were here to see it.”

Silence returned, broken only by Sunny’s occasional soft sobs. A few minutes later the door to the spare bedroom opened with a purple glow and Izzy Moonbow trotted out into the living area. “Good morning, Sunny!” she called cheerfully, pushing her messy mane back out of her eyes. “Oh, wow! The mornings are so beautiful with the sun over the water like that! That view makes me extra glad Hitch let me stay here with you while I’m visiting town.”

Izzy stopped when she saw Sunny, still looking at the photo with tears tracing over her cheeks. “Oh! Hey, I didn’t want to interrupt. I can… I can go out and get some breakfast, if you want to be alone.”

Sunny sniffed, wiping away another tear, then smiled at her friend. “No, it’s okay, Izzy. I’m fine.” She turned the photo so Izzy could see it. “I’m just missing him a lot this morning. I’ll be fine.”

Izzy moved close, gasping at the appearance of Argyle. “Is that your Dad? Oh, hi Mr. Starscout!”

“Starshine,” Sunny corrected softly.

“Hi Mr. Starshine!” Izzy continued, unfazed. “I’m sorry I never got to meet you, but I bet you’re really proud of your daughter. She’s become my best friend ever! She’s brave and loyal and kind and generous, and she always wants to help everypony in need.” She paused, then smirked and added, “Oh, and she helped unite all ponykind and brought magic back to the world, too. You really raised a wonderful daughter.”

Sunny couldn’t hold back anymore, tears flowing freely as she jumped up from her seat and pulled Izzy into a hug. “Thank you, Izzy,” she whispered. “You’re a great friend, too.” They held the embrace for a long time before Sunny pulled away. “Now let’s get that breakfast you mentioned before we check on the repairs at the lighthouse. We can go out if you want, or… I can show you how to make my Dad’s famous unicorn pancakes.”

Izzy beamed. “Oh! The pancakes, naturally! How could I pass up an original recipe? Maybe we can even find a way to sparkle them up even further.” She trotted over toward the kitchen area.

Sunny chuckled. “They are already pretty sparkly, but if anypony can add more sparkle, it’s you, Izzy.”

She set the framed photo on the table, then draped the medallion over it. Smiling, she gently touched a hoof to the image of Argyle’s cheek, then drew it back to rest over her own heart. “I love you, Dad.” Sunny turned and joined Izzy in the kitchen, laughing as they assembled the ingredients for their sparkly pancakes.

Author's Note:

This is my last planned update for Making the Magic: Friendship Shorts. More may come, but for now I'm marking it complete.

Comments ( 1 )

Great stories you have here.

Login or register to comment