• Published 17th Jan 2022
  • 12,054 Views, 1,138 Comments

Forgotten: Sunrise - milesprower06



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to discover everypony she knew is now ancient history.

  • ...
18
 1,138
 12,054

Zephyr Heights

Due to their very early start that morning, well before the sun had come up, Sunset and Pipp were on the final approach to Zephyr Heights.

"Zipp may prefer free-climbing up the southwest face, but I myself prefer the main road into town," Pipp told Sunset as they approached Zephyr Heights' paved section as they came into the city proper, after cutting north joining the road that had been constructed next to the river which flowed south, bypassing the new road that went to Princess Twilight's castle.

"Welcome home, Princess Pipp," one of the gate guards greeted with a bow, as two more guards came out of the adjacent barracks and accompanied the pair into the city as the Princess' escort.

"Actually, if you want, we don't have to go straight to the castle first. We pass right by the Zephyr Heights Museum on the way," Pipp offered.

"Well, can we eat on the way? I don't know about you, but that granola bar from this morning has definitely worn off," Sunset commented.

"Now that you mention it, yeah, I could definitely do some lunch. What are you feeling? ZH has like, almost anything you could want."

"Let's see, I've done pizza, carrot dogs, hay sliders..."

"Cupcakes?" Pipp suggested.

"Yeah, sure. Let's break the rules. Dessert first," Sunset answered with a smirk.

"Private, could you please take Sunset's belongings to the castle's guest suite? We'll be a bit," Pipp asked, turning to the escort on her right. With a curt nod, the guard waited for Sunset to unhitch herself from the cart, and continued on towards the castle while she and Sunset cut off to the east towards the nearest confectionery. After a couple cupcakes each, they were on their way down to the Zephyr Heights Museum.

"Well, that hasn't changed a whole lot, at least on the outside," Sunset commented when she saw the exterior.

"You recognize it?" Pipp asked.

"It used to be Canterlot's public library," Sunset answered as they ascended the steps. They stepped through the doors and were immediately greeted by the receptionist.

"Hello, and welcome to, oh! Princess Pipp, Your Highness. Welcome back to our museum. May I help you with anything?"

Pipp shook her head politely.

"Just showing a new friend around before we head up to the castle," Pipp answered.

"Of course, of course, go right on in," the receptionist replied, waving them through.

"Yep... The walls look the same, but that's pretty much the only thing..." the unicorn commented, taking in her surroundings. Replacing the shelves upon shelves of books on both stories of the structure were now various displays. Artwork, artifacts, and other various displays lined the halls where endless rows of books once were.

Mirroring what had been happening the past few months with Maretime Bay's museum, the two story structure was now far more than pegasus history.

"One of the newest pieces," Pipp said, coming up to a metallic poster of the Wonderbolts. "Zipp was quite adamant about getting it restored and put on display. I think she's really hoping to revive the group. There's just the issue of... Well, mom."

"Not a fan of her doing all those dangerous stunts?" Sunset asked as they looked at more displays.

"More than that. You see, officially, my sister is Heir Apparent, and I know that's not what she wants to do with her life. I mean, maybe I could, but right now I don't want to think about how that would throw my content creation into chaos," Pipp commented.

"Yeah, I suppose if you don't aspire to something like that, it could really upend your life," Sunset commented, before stopping to look down the short corridor they had come to. It was various artwork on both sides, and on the back wall, which had a single large portrait of Cloudsdale.

"Can you imagine? An entire city in the clouds," Pipp commented, taking in the picture, while Sunset slowly stepped closer.

"I think this is the same hall... I wonder..."

Sunset stepped up to the painting, with just a velvet rope between her and the wall, and slowly reached forward, and gently tapped her hoof to the wall.

"What are you doing?" Pipp asked, nervous that the unicorn was disregarding the velvet rope. Sunset leaned over the rope, put her left ear to the wall, and tapped with her hoof again, her ear twitching in response, before standing upright again, and turned to Pipp.

"Pipp... What if I told you there was a secret passage here? Right behind this wall? Do you think the Head Curator would move this painting?"

Pipp's eyes widened at the request, but the princess had to admit that she was intrigued at 'secret passage', and Sunset even recognized the glint in her eye.

"And no streaming, Pipp. If it is still here, nopony was supposed to know about it."

Pipp gave a nod.

"I'll go see if I can find them," the pegasus replied before trotting off, and Sunset returned her attention to the wall, wondering if the mechanism had been removed, had been boarded over, and how hard it would take to get through. She was hoping her memory was serving her well; she didn't want to tear through a wall for nothing, but that tapping definitely sounded a bit hollow.

"Excuse me, miss?" Came a new voice, a well dressed pegasus stallion with Pipp at his side. "May I help you with something? Princess Pipp is saying something about a secret passage?"

Pipp took a step forward.

"This is Whirlwind, curator of the Zephyr Heights museum," she announced.

Sunset smiled gently at both of them, before looking at Whirlwind.

"Sir, how much do you know about this building?" Sunset asked, and Whirlwind cleared his throat.

"I do know that it's one of the oldest buildings in the city. Before it was a museum, I'm not sure. Records that far back are notoriously hard to find. I am aware of Sunny Starscout's new revelations on what happened in this city long ago, so I'm inclined to believe that this was a library repurposed as a refuge for homeless pegasi when their city collapsed."

Sunset nodded.

"I don't want to confuse you too much by going into detail about who I am or where I come from, Whirlwind. Suffice to say, I remember this building back when it was a library, and if my memory serves, there is a secret passageway behind this wall that was accessible to only the Princesses of Equestria. I can only assume that they attempted to hide it when things in the city started to go south, so that only ponies that knew it was here would be able to even attempt to get into it. I'm wondering if we can move these paintings and do that right now."

Whirlwind's eyes widened, but he put a hoof to his chin in thought. Pipp saw this and chimed in.

"If it helps, I can promise complete financial coverage on whatever it costs to repair the wall," she said.

"I don't think I'll have to tear down the whole wall," Sunset reassured. "My main concern is if the enchantment is still in place. If the panel mechanism is no longer there, a disenchantment spell is the only way we'll be able to even begin to get through, and those aren't exactly my forte," she confessed.

"Well, first things first," Whirlwind began after clearing his throat. "Yes, I can arrange to have these paintings moved shortly. Apart from those, with Pipp's reassurances, you can proceed once they're out of the way. Please mind your surroundings during your, um, disenchanting," Whirlwind replied, adjusting his glasses.

"I'll be careful, you have my word," Sunset reassured him.

Several minutes later, he had a pair of museum technicians come and carefully remove the paintings, and also moved the velvet rope back to the front of the corridor, safely cordoning off the area.

"Alright, next, if you two could take a step back. I need to make this area as safe as possible in case anything does go sideways," Sunset warned.

Pipp and Whirlwind took several steps back, then saw Sunset's horn light up, a brilliant orange aura surrounding her horn. With a sparkling flash of light, the walls on either side, the floor, the ceiling, as well as the front of the corridor now glowed orange, and the two pegasi saw that Sunset had essentially encased herself in a glowing box of a shield, as she now turned her attention to the back wall where the painting used to be, and her magical aura now turned a sickly green. Whirlwind instinctually backed up almost entirely behind the corner, with Pipp doing the same at the opposite corner. They heard the unicorn take a deep breath, then lower her head so that her horn was pointed directly at the back wall, and a moment later, a green and black beam erupted from the tip of her horn.

Motes of green-tinted light began to emanate from the back wall, floating in midair for several seconds before falling to the floor around Sunset's hooves. The unicorn strained in concentration, maintaining the beam for around fifteen seconds, before it dissipated, and all the motes of light on the floor evaporated into thin air, as Sunset now struggled to stay on her hooves as her glowing transparent box shield faded to nothing.

"Hey, you alright?" Pipp asked, coming up to her, helping her stay up right.

"Yeah... Disenchantment spells are no joke, and neither are magic-induced headaches... Whew, undoing an alicorn-level enchantment... That's one for the books," Sunset commented as she rubbed her forehead.

"So what now?" Whirlwind asked, relieved that there had been no damage so far.

"Now..." Sunset paused to take another deep breath, before beginning to concentrate again, her horn lighting up bright, but this time there was no aura as she approached the wall. "We hopefully hit air and not caved-in boulders..."

Her horn must have been as scorching hot as it looked, because the tip touched the wall, and passed through like a hot knife through butter. There was some smoldering smoke, but little else, thankfully. Over the next thirty seconds, she very carefully cut a nearly perfect circular hole four inches wide.

"That's it?" Pipp asked as Sunset raised her head again and her horn stopped glowing.

"That's all we need," Sunset replied as she dug her smartphone out of her saddlebags, and turned on the flashlight, shining it into the hole as she peered closer.

"Bingo," she said satisfactorily with a smirk. "You two ready?" she asked, turning back to the pair of pegasi.

"Um, I believe I will wait up here, make sure no other patrons see this until you can verify it's safe. Whatever is beyond that wall, you've earned first look, after all." Whirlwind answered.

Pipp, however, stepped forward.

"Again, that's it? How exactly are we going to get through that hole?" the princess asked.

"No sweat. Here," Sunset answered, offering Pipp her left hoof. The pegasus stepped forward and took it, as Sunset turned back towards the wall, and her horn lit up again.

Whirlwind took a short step back as the unicorn's horn lit up again, and in a flash of light, Sunset and Pipp vanished into thin air.

Author's Note: