• Published 17th Jan 2022
  • 12,072 Views, 1,138 Comments

Forgotten: Sunrise - milesprower06



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to discover everypony she knew is now ancient history.

  • ...
18
 1,138
 12,072

Brave New Equestrian World

Sunset looked up at the earth pony mare as she offered a hoof towards her.

"Sunset Shimmer, I have a feeling there is so much we can learn from each other," She said, smiling softly down at her.

Wiping her eyes again, Sunset took a breath, before accepting Sunny Starscout's outstretched hoof, and pulled herself up to her hooves.

"I certainly hope so," the unicorn replied.

Sunny turned and walked out of the open cell, and Sunset followed her out into the corridor, up to Queen Haven.

"I'm sorry for any problems I may have caused, Your Majesty."

The regal pegasus gave an understanding nod.

"Considering your circumstances, I'd say no harm done. I'm glad nopony was hurt. You're welcome back to visit Zephyr Heights anytime, and I hope you and Sunny can help each other get some answers," Haven replied, before turning to the light pink and white pegasi over by Sunny.

"I assume you two are headed back to Maretime Bay with the rest of your friends?"

"It wouldn't really be fair to expect them to unload the hundreds and hundreds of books we gathered up," the white one replied. Her mane was a brilliant hot pink with aqua and pink streaks, and most curiously, her wings were multicolored as well. The pegasus standing at her side was just as much of a curiosity; her wings were unlike any Sunset had seen before, the feathers white, large and fluffy.

"Don't worry, mom, we'll keep in touch. I've got to put together my next episode anyhow," the pink one told them.

"So, princesses, I'm guessing?" Sunset asked.

Sunny nodded.

"Sunset, may I introduce two of my friends, Zipp Storm and Pipp Petals, princesses of Zephyr Heights."

Pipp's smile widened, while Zipp seemed to grimace just a bit at hearing 'Princess'.

"So, shall we? Hitch, Izzy, and Sprout are probably wondering what's happening." Zipp told her.

"Probably a good idea. Come on, Sunset, we've got another half-day's drive ahead of us," Sunny said. The four of them began to make their way upstairs, with Zipp walking next to Sunny and Pipp keeping pace with their new unicorn friend.

Now that she wasn't running from an unfamiliar authority, Sunset now took the time to take in the changes that had happened to Equestria's capital city. They got on the elevator and began to descend. Sunset saw how many screens and billboards were on the sides of buildings now, having to double check that she was standing on hooves to be absolutely sure that she was in Equestria. She heard electronic bleeps, and glanced over to see the pink pegasus poking away at a small hoofheld device.

The pegasus noticed the attention she was receiving from their new visitor.

"Oh, never seen one of these before? It's a smartphone. It's, uh, kinda like this..."

"Oh, I had a phone for years. I've just never seen one in Equestria. That was one of the many things I left behind when I crossed back over. Who's to say it would even work over here." Sunset replied.

The unicorn noticed Pipp's ears twitch and her eyes and smile widened as she got an idea.

"Quick stop downtown when we get down there, girls," She told the others.

"Five bits it isn't quick," Zipp muttered over to Sunny.

"So, Equestria has a queen now?" Sunset asked, looking over to Pipp.

"Well, not all of Equestria, just Zephyr Heights. Why, it didn't used to?" Pipp asked.

"Nope, it was always just Princesses. Come to think of it, the only 'Queen' they encountered was evil," Sunset replied.

"That was Queen Chrysalis, right?" Sunny asked. glancing back to the unicorn.

"Yeah. You've clearly done your homework."

The elevator touched down, and they headed straight to the downtown shopping centers.

Sunset was feeling... Odd for the moment. These downtown streets did nothing but remind her of downtown Everfree, so on one hoof, it was a familiar feeling and helped her feel at home, but on the other hoof, it was far and away from the 'old timey' atmosphere that she had enjoyed about Canterlot.

Plus, in 45 seconds of walking, she had seen a total of three other unicorns, who looked like they were just visiting tourists.

"And here we are! We'll just be a moment, girls. Come on, Sunset," Pipp said, as they came up to a storefront.

"Z Mobile?" Sunset asked, reading the signage above the glass doors.

"Most popular cellular service provider in Zephyr Heights. I've been using them for years," Pipp explained as the pair of ponies went into the store. Inside were a half dozen display stands spread out through the room, along with more cases that ringed the outer walls.

Sunset immediately heard the excited murmurs from the customers who were already in the stores. She was clearly recognized by all of them, as she gave friendly waves.

"Ah, Princess Pipp! Such an unexpected pleasure!" a manager said as he came in from the back office to check on things. "What can we do for you, Your Highness?" he asked, giving a short bow.

"We're in a little bit of a hurry, but I'd like to get my friend Sunset here set up with a phone. Please add the line to my existing plan," Pipp said.

Sunset's eyes widened when she realized what the pegasus was doing.

"P-Pipp, you don't need to do that."

"Nonsense, Sunset. I can tell you're in an unfamiliar, stressful situation. I'm sure you're as eager as Sunny to learn about what has happened between your era and ours, and while you do that, there's no better way to get familiar with our era than with a smartphone! Besides, if you're already familiar with one, I can't imagine a better way to spend the ride down to Maretime Bay."

"Well, alright," the unicorn conceded. "I promise I'll find a way to pay you back."

"Alright, Miss, Sunset was it? Right this way and we can find you the best fit for your case."

The manager guided the unicorn and princess over a display case, and asked for Sunset's hoof. Every case had an indentation for pony hooves, answering Sunset's fleeting question of how Pipp was holding her phone on the elevator ride over here.

"Alright, how does that one feel?" he asked.

"Pretty good," Sunset replied. She was honestly planning on doing most of the scrolling with her magic, anyway. Once she had decided on a holder, the manager got it around a phone.

"Alright, this is our flagship model. 20-hour battery life, great for power users," the manager explained as he gave the phone over to Sunset as he straightened a small stack of paperwork before putting it in a folder.

"Here's your instruction manual, charging cable, and assorted paperwork. Your phone number is right here at the top. If you have any trouble, feel free to come back in at anytime," he finished.

"Thank you, sir," Sunset replied. "And thank you, Pipp. I'll pay you back for this, promise."

Pipp merely waved her promise away.

"Nonsense. That's what friends are for, even new friends. And if you're experienced with it from wherever you came from, maybe we can give each other some tips. But let's get going. It's going to be late as it is by the time we get back to Maretime Bay."

The realization suddenly hit the unicorn as she felt Ray take a few steps on her back.

"Oh! Any chance we can swing back by Twilight's castle to pick up my stuff? I did kinda run off in a hurry."

Author's Note:

So what do you do when you discover a unicorn that has been away for untold centuries?

Easy; give her internet access.

I'll be honest, I don't have a rock solid plan for where this is going, so I'll take any and all suggestions and feedback to heart.

As always, thanks for reading, and more to come!