• Published 8th Nov 2021
  • 1,259 Views, 9 Comments

Worth It - Fable Caster



A weary human returns home to their special somepony after a long and exhausting day at work. Adorable fluff happens.

  • ...
3
 9
 1,259

Chapter 1

The ten minute walk home from the bus stop feels particularly exhausting today, not helped at all by the fact I'm moving with a slight limp. I can't wait to finally get home, hit the shower, eat something and then just be off my feet for the rest of the day... Until the alarm clock will yet again forcibly drag me back into the land of the living in the morning and I must start the daily toil once more.

Almost home, I pause briefly in front of the flower store above which my, or I should say our, apartment lies. “Ruby's Rose Emporium” it says in bright, cheery colors on the sign above the door as well as on the tapes on the windows. It's a little past six pm already, so Ruby has closed shop and the interior is peaceful and dark.

I limp my way to the side entrance and drag my weary carcass up the flight of stairs, grimacing every time I have to put weight on my sore ankle. It's days like these that I envy Ruby, how he can just walk down a flight of stairs to be at his workplace whilst I'm forced to take a forty minute bus ride to get to mine.

...Still cheaper than having a car, I suppose, especially in this economy.

I grab the door handle, take a moment to try and chase away my sour mood and then finally enter the apartment.

As always, the first thing I notice is the smell of the apartment. It always smells so fresh and wonderful thanks to all the flowers and herbs. He grows much of the stock he sells at the downstairs store himself. Heck, we turned the entire fenced-off backyard of the building into a garden and even built an insulated greenhouse there so he can grow things year round.

The fact he can grow the prettiest flowers in town with little more than some fertilizer, his home-brewn organic pesticide (which he claims is a family recipe) and TLC means he can keep his prices very competitive and still pocket a tidy enough sum; all whilst doing something he truly, genuinely loves.

I take a deep breath in the foyer, letting the scent of fresh flowers and whatever delicious thing he's cooking in the kitchen flow through me, tossing my jacket onto the hook before finally calling “I'm home!” whilst trying not to sound as weary as I feel.

Ruby Rose sticks his head out from the kitchen, the earth pony stallion gracing me with a gentle smile. “Welcome home, Lee.”

He trots on over to me just as I finish getting my work boots off, rearing up onto his hind hooves to give me a hug before I can stop him.

“Ruby... I'm all dirty and grimy and sweaty...” I feebly protest but he pays me no heed.

“Don't care!” The light brown pony replies and squeezes me even tighter. I give a resigned sigh and peck a quick kiss on the top of his head, getting a face full of dark rose-red mane in the process.

That satisfies him and he finally eases up the crushing grip he has on my ribs, dropping back down on all fours before gesturing towards the kitchen. “I found a fun-sounding recipe for a pony safe gumbo and decided to give it a spin. It's almost ready, so go wash your hands and then we can sit down for dinner.”

I feel absolutely filthy and disgusting, but I'm famished so I simply nod in acquiescence and start making my way towards the toilet to wash my grubby mitts. Ruby must've noticed my limp because he immediately calls after me. “Did you hurt your leg again at work?”

“No,” I reply with a shake of my head, “I just spent all day on my feet and most of it working the spot welding machine. I'm just sore, that's all.”

“Oh... Okay.” And that's that, though there's still clear concern in his voice and I can tell from the lack of hooves clacking on the floor that he lingers for a while afterwards. That silly, adorable worrywart~


I've never eaten gumbo before so I don't really have a point of comparison, but as always his cooking is downright exquisite. There are many, many reasons why I love this pony and his cooking is definitely in the top three.

With the meal finished, I push back my chair and stretch, feeling already a lot better. I see Ruby's ears splay briefly backwards as he listens to the popping of my joints and my back, but he keeps on smiling.

“So? How was it? Seeing how you took seconds, I'd say it was a hit.” He asks, leaning his chin onto his hooves on the table.

“Definitely a smash hit. If you ever decide to make another round of that, I most certainly won't be complaining.”

Ruby smiles warmly at me, nodding then towards the pot sitting at the middle of the table. “There should still be enough for you to take as lunch at work tomorrow.”

“Thanks. You want some help with the dishes?”

“Nah... I know you're dying to go take a shower, so go right ahead and I'll clear up the table.”

I nod my appreciation at him and head off to the bathroom. I can hardly wait to feel the hot water washing away all the aches and pains...

Our bathroom is nothing to really write home about. Just a fairly spacious tiled room with a shower head, a floor drain, a sink and a mirror. It's days like this that I wish we had a bathtub... God, I'd kill for the ability to have a nice, long, hot soak in a tub right about now.

I toss my dirty clothes onto the little bench we have for just that purpose by the door side, crank on the shower and wait for a bit for the water to warm up before stepping under the spray. My GOD it's like a personal piece of heaven underneath that warm jet of water!

I lean my forehead against the cool tiles and allow myself to relax, letting the water take away all the pains and worries of the day.

My moment of peace is short lived, though, as I hear the door creaking open and then shut once more, a blast of cooler air briefly washing over me and causing a shiver to run down my spine. Wiping the water away from my eyes, I turn to see Ruby standing there with a soft smile on his face.

“Let me help you out, hun,” he says, pushing the small plastic stool we have in the bathroom behind me. “Go on, take a seat.”

I turn off the water and sit down as instructed, once more glad to take weight off my aching ankle. Ruby, meanwhile, busies himself by grabbing a loofah sponge -one with a very convenient band for his hoof- and applying some soap onto it.

He knows exactly what to do after I've had an exhausting day at work, putting some proper force into the scrubbing as he thoroughly and meticulously washes me, focusing especially on my shoulders and neck. It's almost like a combined wash and a massage all wrapped into one and I love every second of it. I make my enjoyment known, too, for I'm unable to keep myself from groaning in delight as he massages my aching muscles with the sudsy loofah.

Alas... All good things must come to an end and all too soon for my liking he calls out “There we go! That ought to do it.”

I have half a mind to ask him to keep going, but I refrain, instead simply nodding and standing back up to turn on the shower once more.

With all the soap washed away, I notice he's busily scrubbing himself down with the loofah as well. Well now... That just won't do!

I turn off the shower and, before he can react, snag away the sponge from him. He has enough time to shoot me a curious glance before I get to work on scrubbing him down in turn, his question dying on his lips and coming out as a contented hum instead.

I drop down on one knee to better wash him without having to keep my back all hunched and he obediently turns and moves according to the little pushes and nudges I give him until he's thoroughly soaped up.

Finally I grab the shower head off the holder and rinse him clean, once again using little taps and nudges to make him move and turn. It's a familiar kind of dance for the both of us, one we've worked on perfecting over the years we've spent together.

I let the water keep on running as I return the shower head to the holder and then kneel down just in time for Ruby to whip his wet mane out of his face.

I look deep into those wonderfully sapphire blue eyes of his, reaching up to cup one of his cheeks gently with one hand. He coos in content at that, tilting his head into my palm and nuzzling it gently before closing the distance between us and pressing his lips ever so gently against mine.

The warm water is starting to run out, something I've gotten pretty good at noticing, so I don't want to stay too much longer. Still, I let the tender little kiss linger for just a little bit longer before pulling back, the two of us smiling warmly at one another as we separate.

I turn off the shower for the final time and Ruby shakes himself off before he goes on to grab our towels from the hooks beside the door and just above the little clothes bench.

After drying off we snuggle up on the couch to watch some TV; me wrapped in a bathrobe and him laying next to me on top of a towel, his head on my lap whilst I idly pet his neck and mane.

Tomorrow I must go back to the grind, another day spent at a job that I get no satisfaction from and which I don't find particularly engaging or fulfilling... The only upside is that it pays well enough to cover my half of the bills and I still have a bit left over to put towards savings. If it wasn't for the fact my earmuffs are fancy enough that I can listen to the local radio stations with them whilst I work, I'd probably go completely bonkers.

Ruby probably notices my pensive mood as he cranks himself up into a sitting position and noses my cheek gently. “Penny for your thoughts?”

I shake my head lightly. “Just... Exhausted from work, that's all.”

He gives me a sympathetic smile and reaches up with a hoof to turn my head to face him. With one deft motion he leans in and our lips meet once more, only this time he puts in some more passion into it and I reciprocate by wrapping my arms around him and pulling him close.

Soon enough he pushes me onto my back on the couch, the stallion laying practically on top of me as we continue to kiss, my hands roaming over his withers and my fingers brushing through the locks of his silken mane.

Only once we are both out of breath do we pull apart, the two of us gulping in lungfuls of fresh air whilst still embracing one another, big, dopey smiles plastered all over our faces.

“I love your smile almost as much as I love you, Lee,” he says softly, laying then back down on my chest and snuggling his head under my chin; a great sign of affection among ponies, I've learned.

“I love you too, you big softie,” I reply with a smile, gently scritching him behind one ear which, sure enough, causes one of his hind legs to twitch cutely.

I may not like my job, but moments like this, coming home and spending time with my dearly beloved special somepony, make it all worth it.

Author's Note:

Just some fluff I randomly got the inspiration for during a long walk home. Hope you enjoyed!

Comments are always welcome and greatly appreciated. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 9 )

I love this! It’s cute and fluffy and everything I needed today. I love the dynamic between Lee and Ruby Rose.

Wonderful! I love floofiness like this.

Nice. :)

11043602

11043945

11044014

Glad to hear you all enjoyed it! :twilightsmile:

That's really cute and fluffy. Gave me a smile on a dreary day, thanks for that. :)

Nice contained slice-of-life; relaxing to read.

Put a bit of a smile on my face :)

Hmm... so, fun fact: I honestly don't know Lee's gender even after the reading the whole thing. I mean, it's possible I just missed something that would indicate it and Lee is more common as a male name than a female one, but... I honestly couldn't say.

To be honest, I rather like that. It may or may not have been intentional (or even a welcome interpretation, in which case I apologize), but regardless, I like that it... ultimately doesn't matter what they are, only what they and their partner are to each other and how they interact.

A nice, pleasant bit of fluff with a good heart. Nicely done.

11064963
It was indeed a conscious decision from me to keep Lee's gender unspecified, allowing the reader to decide for themself how they want to view Lee.

I like that it... ultimately doesn't matter what they are, only what they and their partner are to each other and how they interact.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :twilightsmile:

11044059

11045044
It warms my heart to hear I was able to make your day just that little bit better with my writing :heart:

69 likes? Nice!

Login or register to comment