• Published 12th Nov 2021
  • 614 Views, 11 Comments

The Spread of Sweetness - MistyShadowz



After giving her search a good too many tries, Sugar Moonlight back peddles and takes a short break. While on her short, but not so short, break, she receives a few words of encouragement, helping her achieve her goal in the long run

  • ...
1
 11
 614

The Spread of Sweetness


The sun shone brightly on the small and - now - not-so-secluded, town of Mare Time Bay, illuminating the little city. Ponies of all kinds; Earth Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns, all trotted through the streets, with content smiles. Ever since Sunny’ efforts in bringing back the peace and security had finally been achieved, ponies from all paths of life, wandered over to their little town. A rejoiced time, it was. The festivities had been a blast; parties being thrown in honor of their new comrades, drinks being shared amongst friends and family, happy lessons in other cultures, and more! It had all been dilled up to eleven for this occasion.

Though this was the case for a little while, ponies began spreading themselves back to their own paths and tasks. It was as if a sugar-rush had invaded and engulphed the entire world; all hyper and enthusiastic one second, then the next, everpony’s back to their daily lives, with lingering side-effects. Don’t catch the wrong picture; things didn’t return to the never contacting and always hating on each other, ways, thing just settled down is all. Ponies returned to their families, jobs, chores, and more. Ponies were, of course, welcome in other lands outside their own. Pagasi and Unicorns were free to roam Mare Time Bay at will. This was fun and all, but it also came with a few consequences nopony had bothered to check upon; the extra business. Ponies would go all over, shopping and having a good time.

While the ponies who were shopping were having a great time, Sugar Moonlight was not. She was bombarded with ponies left, right and center, and had not received their forwardness all too well. Working at a Smoothie store, she had been tasked with selling the already-made drinks. She had loved making smoothies and so had got this job, but when she found out the job was for her to merely sell, she was really disappointed. She had no other place to try so this was her last choice.

"Ugh!"

She slumped back down on her seat. After the rush from the afternoon, almost nopony was coming around to buy anything. This was a good thing; she had thought, but now it was seeming to be more of a pain. She adored company, not a whole lot, but a few ponies for her to chat with. She loved showing off in a crowd, hence why she tried out as a model for Phyllis Cloverleaf, but having to mingle with so many ponies all at once, overwhelmed her.

Like mentioned, Sugar Moonlight had attempted to find her fitting in modeling, but that turned out to be a bust. All the ponies overwhelming her with questions about the head piece she was wearing had driven her crazy! She decided that; if ponies in such a workplace, cannons respect boundaries, then she wanted no part in it!

She merely said this to sound official and important but it worked nonetheless. After that fail she declared her never-ending search come to a halt, and here she was, working as an employee at a smoothie bar.
The wind brushed he sparkling pink and white mane into her eyes, earning another groan from the mare. As she sat, removing the mane from her eyes, two Pegasus ponies, one teal and the other sky blue, trotted up to her smoothie bar. The teal one placed a hoof on the counter and cleared her throat. This earned a quick glance over from the earth pony sat behind the counter. She straightened herself back on the chair she sat upon, and cleared her throat.

"How may I be of help on this fine evening?"

She recited the lines given to her by her boss. At this point, she had already byhearted it and so merely spoke in a monotone voice while reciting. This time was no different, she repeated her practices with no energy whatsoever. She wanted nothing more than to go home and collapse on her bed, leaving the tiresome day behind her. The teal, Pegasus mare, removed her hoof from the counter and motioned for the sky-blue stallion to speak up;

"We would like a… um... what do you have?"

He placed a free hoof to his chin eying the menu behind the pink coated mare. It remained quiet between the three, that was until Moonlight decided to start conversation.

"What are you two doing so far away from home?"

If anything, she was a talker, she loved to make small-talk, mainly with a small group though. The teal mare eyed her for a second before giving her a warm smile.

"Well, we're out together, in a sense"

Moonlight merely blinked, nodding when she realized the full meaning of that statement. She returned the gesture with a smile of her own.

"Awesome, hope things go smoothly from here on out, if you know what I'm saying?"

She gave a playful wink before returning to the stallion, who hadn't taken his eyes of the menu. Now instead of a look of pondering, he wore a look of pure thrill. His eyes wide in glee and he licked his lips a few times, blissfully. The teal mare noticed this, and could merely smile at her date's enthusiasm.

"Thunder?'

She called for him. He blinked, snapping himself out of his trance. He shot his head up the teal Pegasus, who had an eyebrow cocked, with a playful smile. He titled his head, trying to figure out what this mare was trying to tell him. When he didn't put two and two together quick enough, Moonlight interrupted the two;

"She's wondering what smoothie you want"

She stated. The stallion automatically, beamed at the mention. He shot his head back at the menu. He ruffled his feathers a bit, before pulling one out of its relaxed form, and pointing a

feather at the menu. He had his wing pointed at the smoothie labeled, Flight-Shake. Moonlight shot her head back at the menu, a smile stretched across her face, not long after.

"That's one of my favorites, its a goodie I promise you so!"

She gave them the signal to wait and trotted off to the back. The Flight-Shake was her favorite, not because it tasted the yummiest but because she got to make it. Her favorite thing in the world had been making smoothies and gaining the opportunity that day was a blast to say the least.

The Flight-Shake was a new recipe given to them by the Pegasus princesses, specially designed for Pegasi to enjoy. Since only Pegasi enjoyed it she couldn't make it for any other pony, that and the name; Flight-Shake, isn't the most appealing to a non-Pegasus. That was the only drink not already made before hand, unicorns didn't have any special shakes they liked over the other.

She quickly got to work. collecting all the ingredients, then she added them all into the blender; she preferred it that way, then mixed it all together. She watched as all the little ingredient got swished all over the place by the blender. She could see small blue dots hit against the container as it spun, she could see the milk swirling around gathering any left over slicing of fruit. Then finally it came to neat halt. She picked the blender's container and poured the substance into smoothie cups. As for the final touches, she placed a few extra blueberries on top for the esthetics. Any sort of décor on smoothies were optional and roguery forgotten when ready made, but when Sugar Moonlight makes them, there guaranteed to be extra work put into them. The more work she pours into her smoothie the happier the customer will be. That's how she rolled; making others happy through her drinks, seeing the smiling faces of her customers were all she needed to feel satisfied with her work.

She picked the drinks up and placed the two on a tray, she then balanced it on her back and trotted out, to see the two Pegasi chatting away about something. She made her way over to the counter and placed the drinks on it. She then cleared her throat gaining the two's attention.

"Oh, you're back!"

The stallion cheered, as he went to pick his drink up. The mare was not long after him. Both brought it up to their muzzles and sipped. After a few sips, both wore content, happy smiles.

The stallion's eye lit up in enthusiasm.

"Wow, this is awesome!"

He cheered happily, while taking another sip of his drink. Moonlight could only smile as the looks pure glee took them over. This was what she loved the most, seeing the happy smiles of ponies who have tasted her drinks, the looks of pure amazement, or thrill, or excitement, anything! She loved making others happy with her work, it was just what she adored. No matter who it is, she would try her hardest to make something for them.

"Do you make all the smoothies here?"

Asked the Pegasus mare. Moonlight shook her head;

"Nope, there all ready-made, all except that one, 'cause it’s a Pegasus special, we only got the recipe today"

She explained;

"So, that's a Sugar Special!"

She enthused, gaining confused looks in return.

“’Cause my name’s Sugar Moonlight, I named my work, The Sugar Special!”

She earned nods as a reply,

“Well, whatever it is called, I love it!”

The stallion gave an enthusiastic gasp;

“Could we get another smoothie to-go?”

The pink maned mare, shrugged

“I don’t see why not”

She earned a happy smile from the stallion. Moonlight trotted to the back, made another two and was back at the counter faster than the las time. She placed the two drinks on the counter, yet again, and the Pegasi, were quick to grab them.

“Thanks a lot! Come on Zoom, we gotta go, I’ve got more planned y’know!”

The stallion said rushing off in some general direction. He seemed to be wandering over to the Movie theater, which made sense; the were on a date and all.

“Y’know, you should ask your boss to let you make them, I’m sure once he tastes this he can’t refuse”

The mare said holding up her smoothie in one hoof.

“Well, yea but if he doesn’t like the idea, who knows what he’ll do, I don’t think I want to lose this job too”

She spoke with a fearful frown. The Pegasus placed a hoof on her chin, thinking for a second;

“Well, if he does, then that’s his lose. I mean this is, honestly, better than anything they could make back in Zephyr Heights, I don’t think they could refuse! And if they do start one of your own, it doesn’t have to be a massive thing just somewhere to begin with”

The Pegasus suggested. Moonlight shrugged,

“I guess I’ll give it a thought”

She spoke, waving the other mare goodbye.

“Cool! If you do ever start one of your own, give me a call, I’m pretty sure Thunder would love to hear it!”

A nod was her only reply.


After the two departed, the last hour of her shift had rolled around, taking up Pooped Gum’s shift had really done a number on her.

Should I talk to the boss?

She asked herself. What the Pegasus mare had said was stuck in her mind. Should she give it a try? She had put the idea out of her head out of fear. She didn’t want to lose the only option she had left, even though she had halted on her search she still kept an eye out. Her role in life made no sense to her. She had gotten her Cutie Mark, when she first gave her smoothie to her mother for taste-testing. The look on her mother’s face had made her entire day. She thought that it was her special gift, to make other ponies happy with her drinks, but other ponies didn’t seem to think the same, and so, she figured that it was just her mother trying to be mom – supportive. She gave in to the fear of being hated, she didn’t want to be known as the worst at cooking, or baking or anything of the sort, the mere thought brought a shiver down her spine.

What would boss say? He prides himself in this sort of thing, so would he be okay with it? Would he mind if I take over for the smoothie making part?

She asked herself.

Well, whatever it is called, I love it!

The words of the stallion repeated in her head. What if he’s not cool with it?

And if they do start one of your own

“Oh, forget it!”

She clammed her hoof on the counter and got up from her seat. She made her way into the back and made the smoothie.


“So, what do you think?”

The dark blue stallion licked his lips, satisfied. He hadn’t made eye contact with his employee just yet.

“You made this?”

He asked incredulously. Moonlight gave a fear-filled nod as a reply. The stallion eyed the drink in his hoof, narrowed them even. The two remained silent for a little while. Moonlight now becoming quite sweaty,

Oh, dear God! He hates it! What have I done!?

“I love it!”

He cheered. Moonlight blinked a few times, and her jaw dropped.

“Y-you do?”

The stallion gave a nod.

“I have no idea why you didn’t tell me, you made such good smoothies! I would have given you that spot ages ago if I knew!”

The mare could do nothing but stare in complete silence as the words of the stallion cut through her barrier of fear. As the words processed in her head, a small light at her back, began glowing brighter than ever. The boss couldn’t quite tell what it was, though he figured she might.

The mare grew an enthusiastic smile, similar to the one, the Pegasus stallion had given her. She bounced on her hooves excitedly!

“Oh, I’m so happy!”

She cheered;

“ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!”

She bounced. The stallion gave her an approving nod,

“Now don’t you have some rest to get doing?”

He asked with a smile. Moonlight nodded, gave her boss one last thank you and wave and trotted away, blissfully, a spring in her step as she trotted.

-=-

She trotted outside, still wearing her smile. She didn’t know why but those little words, I love it, it made her day. She had heard those words twice that day, and both times it brought a happier smile to her face than any other she ever had. Her destiny was to make other ponies happy with her drinks! She had been searching for where she fit in, for so long, and had thought she lost the opportunity long ago. She didn’t know why she was so happy; this could just blow over in a matter of days like the modeling thing, but something in her gut told her other-wise. She had this… this feeling telling her; she was finally on the right path. She didn’t know why it had taken her this long to earn such a thought, but it did and she was happy with where it took her. Now when she goes home, she can fall back in bed, knowing exactly what to do with her life. This wasn't going to blow over anytime soon, not if she had anything to say about it.

While trotting to her home, she didn’t look like she had just undergone, the worst possible thing, she looked like she had won the lottery with how happy her smile looked. She stopped in front of her house, and instinctively, shot her head back at her Cutie Mark; An orange fan, blowing Sugar away. She had always taken it as; she could never be sweet or kind or she never have anything of the sort, but now she could see in a new, unseen, light. Her Cutie Mark didn’t say she could have anything sweet, it meant that; she was going to spread the sweetness all over! Now that was much more satisfying than the last conclusion.

She shot her head back at the door;

“I, Sugar Moonlight, am destined to spread sweetness and cheer across Equestria with my smoothies!”

Anti-Climatic? Sure, but it was the truth and nothing was gonna change that!


The End!

Author's Note:

Hey Folks!:yay:

So, here it is! I have a ton I wanna say about his, but I'll save it for a post later on. Something I will say is, if this thing is liked enough, I'm planning on doing something fun!
Random Statement; Is it just me or does everyone think of Applejack when the words Cocked eyebrow are on scream? Random Statement is Over!
Who else thinks that this background pony deserves more love?
Anyways, you can leave your thoughts, corrections or overall opinions on this fic bellow, and have a great one!:pinkiehappy:

MSz out!:rainbowdetermined2:

Question!

Edit: Oh my Celestia! When I first published this fic something completely slipped my mind, and I have to say a huge sorry for that! The Pegasi we saw in this fic, were the ones that first came across Izzy and Sunny. Them being an item was not my idea, and i didn't think of it on my own. The original creator (or at leas the one I got inspo from) of the ship and the name, Zoom Zephyrwing, was lillytheomegawolf in her story Soaring Hearts
I again am quite sorry for forgetting to credit them, I had it on my list of things to mention but it slipped my mind at the last second!

Comments ( 11 )

they say size matters . especially when it comes to such big chapters . thanks to the author for his efforts .

Comment posted by MistyShadowz deleted Nov 12th, 2021

11047055
it was a Russian joke. Don 't pay attention , I 'm not good at joking .💦

I saw the cover art and was like, 'Is that...? That has to be.'

Dang, we're finally getting some background pony stories in here! Sugar Moonlight, and the Two Guards, nice.

Wow this is actually a pretty good story and having that Pony name sugar moonlight getting a confident from Zoom which that is awesome to hear that those two guards are going out together do sugar really wanted to find her life in purpose but apparently she finally found it making smoothie and making everybody happy for her work this was actually a pretty good story nice to see those three ponies keep up the good work

11090588
Thanks! Glad you liked it:twilightsmile:
Also, wowie! Anyone who wants to read the comments before reading the fic is going in for a spoiler treat:pinkiecrazy:
encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoQ7tfJ2ZM-fod2cofkULTApAO942fnVbYzA&usqp=CAU

Login or register to comment