• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,331 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,331

PreviousChapters Next
Arc VII Episode II: Vampires Do What??

As the two sat at the table and waited for their order, Diamond Tiara decided to make some small talk with her mother’s new hire.

“So…KK,” she started off with her arms on the table, “Tell me about yourself.”

“...Me?” He was caught rather off-guard by the question, noted by his hesitation. “...How about you start first?”

Tiara scoffed and rested her chin on her palm--elbow on the table. “Blech. I hate talking about myself ad nauseam. Everyone always wants to ask about my family’s luxury cruises or the crap my dad brings back from his business trips. I’m sick of always being the one to start conversations--nobody ever asks about me. So I’d rather you go first.”

“Seems she’s exhausted all possible topics for conversation. Guess that’s what happens when you’ve already got everything,” Keiji thought about it to himself and decided to play ball. “Alright. Well if we’re talking hobbies, I like to draw and perform experiments.”

“...Experiments? Oh yeah,” she put her hand down, and looked at him while continuing, “My mom mentioned something about that. You always answer the door wearing a labcoat and goggles like you’re a mad scientist or something.”

“I…” As much as he wanted to, he couldn’t exactly refute it, given the romanticized nature of science in popular culture. “...Suppose you have a point. I’m usually performing biology experiments. I like to study what goes on inside of us--what makes us tick--why you huma--er, why we humans can get infections…”

Tiara stared at him with a blank expression. “...Huh. So…you’re trying to cure every disease or something? Or like, make it to where we can’t get sick?”

“...Something like that,” the green boy rubbed his hand against his neck, “But obviously, it’s not an easy task. It’s also not something I like to discuss with others. Talk of blood makes fellow huma--er, classmates rather skittish for some reason.”

“Well duh, you’re talking about blood and guts,” she spoke candidly, “Hardly anyone’s gonna wanna discuss that crap. But…” she paused and formulated her next point, “I think it’s pretty cool. You’re actually trying to do something that benefits others--not just yourself. Guess I had the wrong idea.”

Keiji chuckled, “Hah--well--” but then he stopped and pointed out what she had just said, “Wait a sec, ‘wrong idea’? What sort of ‘idea’ were you having about me in the first place?”

“That you were just some stuck-up pretty boy that just managed to get in my mom’s good graces just because you were cute,” she explained herself as directly as usual, “But I guess I was wrong. You must be pretty intelligent if you’re studying blood and stuff like that. Guess mom was right about something for once.”

“Eh?” Keiji sat back in his seat with his arms folded, “What’s she right about?”

“That you might be worth talking to,” Tiara went on as she rolled her eyes, “She keeps saying that I should get out of my comfort zone and hang out with people other than Silver Spoon. Not like I have a choice since Silver and her family are away on a vacation for Thanksgiving…”

“Ah. So she’s feeling a bit out of her element, huh? Guess that’s one thing Lady Rich did for both of us.” Keiji decided to keep the conversation going. “I see. Well, I guess I may as well strike up another topic: What’s your opinion of vampires?”

“Vampires?” Tiara repeated, “They’re pretty cool, I suppose. Most of them tend to be wealthy and successful--not to mention good-looking. They’re totes better than grody things like werewolves or witches.” She put a finger to the side of her face as she thought about something. “I think I actually dressed up as a vampire for halloween once or twice. Hm…”

The boy breathed a mental sigh of relief. Maybe she would accept him for who he was? “Oh? Ya like ‘em, huh? Same. Though I never bought into that whole stake to the heart crap. That’d kill anybody--know what I mean?”

“Pssh,” Tiara scoffed with a small grin on her face, “I mean, yeah. That’s a bit ridiculous. Being impaled with a wooden stick would suck.”

“Not as much as how they suck,” he said with a toothy smirk.

As soon as she pieced together the joke, Tiara’s eyes went wide as she let out an annoyed groan. “Ugggggh. That’s not funny. You know it’s not funny. Don’t try to be funny.” Despite her protests, she could be heard chuckling under her breath.

Keiji looked at her with a knowing expression. “Mm-hmmmmm.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of the diner…

Pinkie had given the order to the chef, and nudged Sonata when she got near the register. “Psst. Sona.”

“Hm?” Sonata had just finished giving a customer his change, so she was able to speak.

Pinkie pointed over in the direction of the dull-pink girl and dark-green boy. “Look at ‘em. Magic waitin’ to happen.”

Sonata shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Oh, Pinkie. Not every boy and girl is destined to fall in love with each other. That’d make for a pretty awkward situation on Earth.” Once she took a closer look, she realized who was sitting there. “Wait a sec--isn’t that one of your friend’s sister’s friends? A sophomore…right?”

“Yup-yup,” Pinkie replied with a snap of her fingers and confident, half-lidded eyes, “And she’s sitting with one of the new boys. This is a perfect opportunity for--”

But before she could explain herself, she was interrupted when the chef called her from the kitchen. “Pinkie--gonna need your help filling these orders.”

“Coming, sir!” Pinkie frantically waved at the chef and rolled away from Sonata once more. “Just watch and learn, rookie. We’re all about bringing customers together~” And then she disappeared through the double-doors into the kitchen.

“Ugh…Pinkie and her silly theories…” Sonata giggled as she watched her manager take off.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen…

Pinkie had been instructed to help the head chef fulfill several orders that had come in, including the one for Tiara and Keiji.

“Hm-hm-hmmm…gonna make this one unforgettable…” she sang to herself as she grabbed a large glass specifically to serve milkshakes for couples. Yup--she was all-in with this it seemed. There was no stopping her when she was in a rhythm.

Brrrrrring!

The phone at the end of the kitchen had started to ring…

And before Pinkie could properly get started, the chef called out to her once more from the end of the kitchen where the phone on the wall was. “Pinkie! Call for you! Answer quickly then get back to work!”

“Yes, sir!” she rolled on her skates and grasped the phone from the chef who left her alone to resume cooking. “Yello? This is Sweet Snacks Cafe--Pinkie Pie speaking. Wouldja like to know our specials?”

But to her surprise, it wasn’t a customer who was looking for an expert recommendation from the best baker in the city. No--in fact, it was one of her friends.

Twilight to be precise. “Pinkie? Good. You’re there. I don’t have much time, so I’ll make this quick--”

“Twilight?! Ooh! How are you? Where are you? Why don’tcha have much--?!”

“Pinkie!” she shouted over the phone to get her attention.

The pink girl apologized as she idly twirled the phone’s cord on her free hand’s index finger. “Oops. Sorry. What is it you wanted to tell me?”

“I’m suspecting demonic activity in the area where you are,” Twilight explained, “I can’t deal with it myself because I’m stuck knitting ugly Christmas sweaters with my mom and Cadence.”

“Shh! You’re not supposed to say they’re ugly!” an older woman’s voice called out from behind Twilight.

“I agree!” Pinkie chimed in, “Christmas sweaters are always the coolest--”

“Pinkiiiiiie!” Twilight groaned over the phone.

To which, she replied sheepishly once more. “R-right. Sorry--sorry. Demon stuff, right? Any idea what it’s gonna be?”

“No…but what I do know…is that it’ll be big.”

PreviousChapters Next