• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,329 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,329

PreviousChapters Next
Arc XXIX Episode I: Casual Chat

At Aidon’s home…

As he and Luna were watching a horror film on TV, it was interrupted by the news which had started to cover the events that had recently transpired at the mall earlier that afternoon.

“It’s amazing how unlikely heroes can come together at any moment,” Sunburst commented from the scene, “As expected of Canterlot City’s defenders.”

A certain great and powerful magician took slight offense to that comment though. “Unlikely?!”

Luna chuckled as she watched the events unfold. “Ah, we really do have nothing to worry about with them around, hm?”

Aidon however, gave a half-hearted smile as he watched the news coverage of the situation. “...You’re right. Still I…” he shook his head. “No…I shouldn’t make a big deal out of it. The fact that they’re safe is what matters most.”

But Luna wasn’t so easily fooled when it came to the emotions of others--especially someone she cared so deeply for. “...Are you sure, Aidon?” she asked gently, “You can tell me if there’s something wrong. I’m more than willing to listen.”

Her words eased his concerns, so he’d go ahead and explain himself.

“Well…I don’t know. Part of me wishes that I could be there for them,” he admitted, “It feels as if I’ve been absent during major events and conflicts such as these. Conflicts that I know for a fact would be over in mere seconds had I been present.”

Luna nodded and started to think of a similar situation that she had found herself in from time to time. “Well…I know how you feel. While it’s not quite the same, there are many times where I feel as though I missed out on an opportunity to assist a student with something that was ailing their mental health. But…” she turned to look at the TV where everyone could be seen on camera. “...as I get older, I slowly start to realize that I can only do so much. Ultimately, they have each other to rely on and they can often do more for each other than I can do for them.”

“I see…” Aidon replied with a sense of understanding, then let off a sarcastic quip. “What? So you’re saying that I should accept my place as a useless old geezer early?”

“W-what? No!” Luna shook her head with a nervous smile…until she realized he was joking by the way he grinned at her expense. “That’s not funny…okay, maybe it was a tad funny,” she admitted while giggling herself, then explained her point further. “But what I mean is that it’s okay for you to not be there all the time, Aidon. You simply can’t be in every place at once when something bad happens. Of course, if you’re in a position in which you can assist, then by all means, do what you can. But don’t think less of yourself because you weren’t present for a scuffle that you weren’t aware of, okay?”

“You have a point,” Aidon replied amicably, “I can’t just mope over what I couldn’t do. I suppose it’s better to focus on what I can do when I’m able. Sorry for bringing the mood down with my…insecure question.”

“Don’t be,” she encouraged him with a hand on his shoulder, “You deserve to let it all out sometimes. Outside of my sister and my therapist, I don’t find myself speaking to people in my age range very often.”

“Tell me about it,” Aidon agreed with a scoff, “Tch--I’ve got this one friend that lives overseas, but we rarely get to speak often due to his job. I really gotta get out more…”

Luna giggled--though not at his expense. It was a small laugh of understanding. “Yes, I agree with you there. But I often find myself perplexed on what to do or where to go…then my mind races and I simply decide to flop back into bed because it’s less work that way.” She blushed and started to fiddle with her ponytail. “...especially when my hair doesn’t agree with me.”

“I can understand that,” he replied as he slicked back his own hair, only for it to end up a wrinkled mess again. “I look absolutely dreadful when I don’t get myself properly done up. Though as far as a place to go, I believe Zephyr Heights might be a good option when we’re both free.”

The way his hair moved caught her attention for a moment.

‘Honestly…you look dashing regardless of style.’

But she was snapped out of her thought process when he mentioned Zephyr Heights. “Oh! I’ve heard of that place. I believe it’s a rather expensive tourist destination though.”

“Don’t worry. Ms. Haven herself invited us,” he turned and retrieved the business card from off of the coffee table in front of them and showed it to Luna. “She said we could go at any time we wished. It might be a good option.”

“Hmmm…” Luna tilted her head, then looked upwards--deep in thought. “Where exactly is it located, though?”

“Ah! That’s right!” Aidon called out as he hopped off the couch and pulled down a roll-out poster map of the country from the ceiling and tapped the landmark in question. It was about 20 miles west of Canterlot City. “It’s on this map that I recently had custom-made in case I ever got lost. I often get turned around in this place…mainly because I’ve only been here for a few years but--”

Luna got up and inspected the map with an intrigued glint in her eye. “...you have a map of the entire country you use for reference?”

“Hm? Yes, I do,” Aidon answered then bit back his tongue with a worried tone. “...That’s not off-putting is it?”

‘Please don’t think I’m strange.’

Fortunately for him, Luna would respond amicably.

“Hm? No! Not at all! I…actually have a map of my own that I use for such things at home,” she admitted with a bashful tone, “I’m actually quite fond of maps. They’re especially useful for hiking.”

Relieved, Aidon would continue the conversation with newfound energy. “Indeed! Oh, did you know that some of these hiking trails used to be trade routes that we’d use in order to make contact with the vikings from Scandinavia?”

“Really?” Luna’s eyes lit up, fully invested by this newfound information. “Tell me more, please!”

PreviousChapters Next