• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,331 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,331

PreviousChapters Next
Arc XXIV Episode VII: Tactical Necessity

At Flash Sentry’s house…

Adagio and Applejack explained the situation to him including what they had found out thus far.

“...and that’s where we’re at,” Applejack explained, “I dunno much about the secret world of ‘espionage’ or ‘secret military procedures’” she said with airquotes, “But if you know anythin’, anythin’ at all about who coulda did that to mah folks…”

“Hmm…” Flash stroked his chin, then turned around in his desk chair, starting to type on his computer. “Let’s take a step back for a second and talk motive; If someone really did kill your parents, what reason do you think they might have for it?”

Adagio silently wondered the same thing, though she hadn’t asked because she was unsure how to approach the question in a respectful manner. All she could do was shyly rub her arm as she waited for Applejack to answer--if she wanted to that is.

It took a moment for her to answer. Applejack leaned forward in the chair she sat in with her elbows on her knees as she brought her hands together and took a moment to exhale.

“...If I had’ta make a guess, I’d say it’s because they couldn’t stand seein’ ‘em get together.”

Flash tilted his head. “...care to elaborate? Or is it too touchy of a subject?”

Applejack shook her head and continued, “I ain’t told this’ta too many people, so keep it on the down-low, wouldja mind?”

“Of course--I’m all ears.”

“This goes fer you too, Adagio,” Applejack spoke up to the siren.

“No problem,” she replied, “I won’t speak a word of it to anyone.”

“Alright then. Long story short, my ma was from the Pear Family, and there was a huge uproar over her and pa gettin’ together. In the end, my ma--Pear Butter--would end up defyin’ her whole family just’ta be with my pa--Bright Mac.”

“Yyyyikes--that sounds awful…” Flash muttered after hearing the story and quickly tried to piece things together. “So essentially, what we’re dealing with here is a case of perfected cleanup. Their deaths aren’t marked in any database nor is the cause known--is that right?”

Applejack nodded. “That’s right. Nobody knows. Not even the law enforcement or the coroners.”

“No wounds on their bodies either?”

Applejack shook her head.

“Interesting…just what I was afraid of,” Flash continued typing on his computer.

Adagio spoke up next, “...do you have any idea of who could’ve done such a thing?”

“No…but I have a good idea of what could’ve done it,” Flash pointed at his computer to which the girls both took a look as well. The monitor showed a chemical compound alongside various monochromatic photographs of bombs and missiles. “Zarin is a gas that’s completely odorless and undetectable under normal circumstances. It was created for use during the Second World War, but it wasn’t finished in time. It was then used for other operations such as the Chilled War and various terrorist attacks across the globe.”

“Hrm…I know a bit about history, but I never knew this kinda stuff could still be in circulation,” Applejack muttered as she looked over the text on the screen.

Adagio however, was a tad lost. Given that she was still getting acquainted with how this world worked, she wasn’t entirely up to speed on the historic aspects of warfare. “This…demands more study.” “Also probably shouldn’t have slept through those History classes…”

“Check this out,” Flash continued, “Says here that loads of Japonese soldiers acquired several canisters of this stuff from their allies during the Second World War. Meaning that it’s possible that your yakuza ‘friends’ could have used that on your parents.”

“But when…how??” Applejack shivered in place with her eyes darting back and forth--unable to comprehend the possibility. “We was always together, how could we not be there’ta save ‘em…I can’t…I can’t…”

“L-look, I know this sounds bad, but it’s just my best guess,” Flash tried his best to explain, “There could be any number of potential factors but it’s merely what I think could’ve happened. There’s no guarantee this stuff is even out there.”

Applejack hung her head in shame and wiped tears from her face. “Sorry I just…need a moment. Mind if I use yer bathroom?”

“First door down the hall,” Flash pointed towards the direction of his hallway. “Can’t miss it.”

And with that, Applejack silently left the room, leaving Adagio alone with him.

“...She’s really taking this hard,” Adagio muttered.

“I can relate,” Flash added, “I lost my grandparents in a war, so I can’t exactly blame her.”

Adagio crossed her arms and rubbed each one with the opposite hand. “...my sisters and I never really knew our parents. I suppose it’s a blessing in disguise; you can’t really feel the pain of losing someone if you never had them to begin with.”

“The world can be a pretty painful place, yeah,” Flash replied as he rubbed the back of his head, “But at least we’ve got families and friends who support us, right?”

“Yeah…though I’m curious about this Zarin compound; I want to know what it was originally created for.”

Flash turned back to his computer monitor and read a few more lines of text. “It’s uh--yeah, just like I remember; it was originally created as a pesticide for…farming…” his speech slowed as his eyes went wide from realization. “Farming--farming! That’s it--that’s--the Hishima family must’ve used it to kill AJ’s parents!”

“It’s…a very solid argument indeed,” Adagio bit down on one of her nails as she shuddered to imagine the extent of which that compound was used. “But…we’d need proof before we find anything conclusive.”

“I got this--that’s where I make one of my special calls,” Flash cracked his knuckles and pulled out an old green rotary phone. “Never thought I’d have to use this. But here goes.” He spun the numbers, and picked up the phone--before long, he’d hear someone pick up on the other end…

“Corporal Sentry?”

“Yes sir, I need a favor.”

PreviousChapters Next