• Published 3rd Nov 2021
  • 3,327 Views, 287 Comments

Family Begins With You - Jmaster49



The Sirens devote themselves to protecting Canterlot City and each other as they come to understand human holidays and traditions.

  • ...
8
 287
 3,327

PreviousChapters Next
Arc XXIV Episode IV: Friendly Competition

“CHECK THIS OUT!”

Keiji yelled at the top of his lungs as he went over one of the larger ramps on the dirt track, landing perfectly and kicking up a dirt cloud as the tires on his ATV churned to a stop. “Aw man that was great! I can’t believe this thing goes so fast!”

Aria stopped on her dirt bike next to him, and stood with one foot on the ground. “Damn straight, kiddo. That’s why we got it for ya. We knew you’d love getting out more with something that simulates humanity’s love of daredevilship.”

“Whatever the case, I love it,” he agreed with a smile, “Thanks a lot, Ari. This is kickass!”

Aria patted him on the head, ruffling his already messy hair. “Hey, anything for you, little bro. Things have been crazy lately and you deserve some time away from the bullshit.”

“...I do, huh?” he sighed and leaned against the handlebars of the ATV. “Thanks…though I wish I had a crowd cheering for me and witnessing how badass I am--”

Aria rolled her eyes with a playful grin. “Don’t push it, buddy-boy.”

“I’m joking--mostly,” Keiji said under his breath, then spoke aloud, “Anyway, how did you get so good at this stuff anyway?”

“Monster Truck Rallies are kinda my jam,” she went on with a smug expression, “At first, I thought it was a coliseum in which humans train actual monsters to fight with.”

Keiji paused for a moment, blinked, then snickered. “Ah…yeah, me too--”

“But in reality they used these big trucks that are ridiculously oversized with tires that shouldn’t even function,” she went on with an ecstatic smile on her face, “They make no sense but they’re so damn badass that I couldn’t help but keep watching.”

“...So you were the one that suggested this gift for me, huh?” Keiji asked as he put the mental pieces together.

Aria rubbed the back of her head with a rare, nervous smile. “Well…yeah. I figured you’d like something like this after all. You…you do like it, right?” she asked with a hint of concern in her voice.

“...Damn. Never seen her get like this before,” Keiji thought to himself then spoke aloud, “Of course I do. This is the best gift I’ve ever gotten. The fact that all three of you guys pitched in to get it for me is something I’ll cherish for as long as I live. Plus, I’m gonna make sure I outdo ya, and get you something even better next Christmas. Just you wait.”

“Heh. I’ll be waiting for that,” Aira replied with a confident smile, “You’re a good kid, ya know that?”

“Yeah, yeah don’t lay it on so thick,” he replied while scrunching up his cheeks. Then, something caught his attention from the corner of his eye. “Hm? Looks like someone decided to join us today.”

Aria tilted her head to look around him. “Huh? Is someone else here?”

Indeed there was. A few moments later, they’d witness someone riding up on a flaming red motorbike of their own, perform a flip and stop next to them with dust flying in the air.

Once the dust cleared, the rider took off their helmet and revealed herself, “Sup,” Sugarcoat said to them both. “You guys come around here often?”

“Sometimes,” Aria replied as she ruffled Keiji’s hair once more, “But I got this little vamp here with me today.”

“That’s right,” he added--ignoring Aria’s gesture. Instead, he approach Sugarcoat’s motorbike. “Sick ride. Did you get it from a dealership or is this custom?”

“Custom,” Sugar replied flatly as per usual, “I’m actually here with a friend of mine--hey Sour. Come on out!”

Sour Sweet appeared moments later on a deep-blue, sparkling electric scooter. “...I was trying to avoid speaking to anyone--I mean…hello, you…Keiji and Aria, right? You were the ones that helped save me that one time.”

Keiji folded his arms with a surefire smile on his face--his overbite fangs protruding from his upper lip. “That’s me--us alright. In the flesh and still standing tall.”

Aria let out a rare giggle and looked at Sour. “Yeah. I’m just glad you’re okay though. Not too many humans can recover from demonic possession like that. You must be pretty strong.”

“...Well I’d like to think that--even if it does come off as pitiful…” she shook her head and smiled, “But I appreciate your kindness.”

Sugarcoat would add her own take, “You guys earned my respect for that too. At the very least, I gained some kinda weird crystal power that I can use to defend us if we get into danger again in the future.”

“Sick,” Keiji replied, then changed the subject. “But anyhow--since we’re all here, why don’t we have some fun with a little race?”

“Think you know your way around this track better than me?” Sugarcoat asked with the slightest hint of competitive smugness in her voice, “I’ve been coming here since before you were born, little man.”

“Oh yeah? Bring it on, four-eyes. I’m so skilled I can run circles around you,” he playfully jested in return, causing Sugarcoat to smile ever so slightly.

“Try me, bloodsucker.”

PreviousChapters Next