• Published 1st Nov 2021
  • 1,005 Views, 14 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Majesty - Apple Bottoms



Twilight Sparkle has just been crowned the Princess of Friendship; she seeks aid by travelling through time to observe other royals, including Majesty. But things go awry, and Twilight is forced to take up magic against another princess! And Sprout?!

  • ...
1
 14
 1,005

Chapter 2 - The Unicorn Returns

Majesty was certain she would never see the little purple unicorn again; she thought if she would return, it would have to be the next day. But she was notably absent, and instead Majesty had to mediate another argument between Princesses Aquamarine and Tiffany. (“Majesty, tell Princess Aquamarine to stop borrowing my comb!” “Majesty, tell Princess Tiffany to stop borrowing my mirror!”)

When the argument continued into the next day, Majesty was just about ready to alter the timeline herself to ensure she’d never been born. She was about to tell the princesses where they could shove their beauty tools when she caught sight of something purple at the window.

“Figure it out yourselves, girls, you’re supposed to be future heads of state,” Majesty snapped, and took off at a gallop.

“Gosh, why is she like that?” Princess Primrose huffed, adjusting her hennin.

“Gusty says she thinks it’s from the lava monsters, but don’t tell her I told you that,” Princess Aquamarine hissed, and gasped as Tiffany grabbed her comb back.

“I will if you don’t stop borrowing my comb!

Majesty was surprised to see Twilight Sparkle standing there, just outside the castle gates; she had fully expected her to vanish like every other time. Instead the little purple winged unicorn stood there, as bold as ever, waiting for her.

“Alright, what is it now, little princess? Timeline stuff?” Majesty asked, coming to a halt a few feet away from her. She didn’t trust her not to blast her yet, and she wanted to be out of stabbing range. She was small, sure; but she still had wings and a horn. Any princess worth her salt had to know how to defend herself with nothing but her horn and hooves.

“No. Well - not yet, luckily. Everything at home looked okay.” Twilight Sparkle looked nervous, and Majesty didn’t blame her for that; she tended to have that effect on the other little ponies. “I came to ask if … if you had any advice.”

Majesty lifted a brow.

“For me. I’m a princess now. And I have - I have wings.” The little purple princess lifted her wings to demonstrate, lifting her cloak. “I’m still figuring out how they even work, much less the rigors of being royalty!”

Majesty had to give her some credit; she was half their size, but this little princess had more royal concern in one of her hooves than the whole room of bickering princesses had in their whole group.

“I came back here to witness some of your reign. The history books are very sparse on who you were, aside from the fact that you were one of the very first rulers of ponykind.”

Majesty snorted through her nose, but gave a begrudging little nod. She didn’t want to admit it to this tiny princess, but it was flattering to think that she had made it into history books. “Well first off, that’s something they ought to clarify. I may be ‘queen’ but it’s a title in name only; and that’s only because I’m the one who can blast a bushwoolie at a hundred paces.”

The purple unicorn looked alarmed.

“But I never would! Bushwoolies are our friends. I was trying to think of something small, but - well, most of the monsters that attack us are too darn big,” Majesty huffed. “Most ponies don’t think about blasting in the first place. Ponies aren’t meant for that kind of thing. Ponies are - silly, at times,” Majesty whuffed, thinking of the princesses bickering in the castle, “but sweet, gentle, goodhearted. Ponykind is not meant for blasting. So if you’ve been chosen for royal duty, then it means that your job is to protect the others.”

“Oh … well … I’m actually the Princess of Friendship,” Twilight Sparkle explained, a little timidly.

Majesty’s brows shot up. “So … there’s other princesses, then? Who do the blasting?”

“Well, yes - I mean, I do a fair amount of blasting too!” Twilight Sparkle explained, a little defensively. “I defeated Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, and Discord, for starters!”

“Excellent.” Majesty nodded, her concern fading. “Well, then you’ve got the princess thing down, I think.”

“What?”

“Being a ruler means protecting your people. That’s why I’m Queen; that’s why you’re Princess,” Majesty explained a little briskly, touching her chest then gesturing at Twilight Sparkle. “I’m not sure what to do with wings, really; I’d ask Princess Tiffany, but I’m not sure any of those lot will be able to handle a winged unicorn.”

“Oh,” Twilight Sparkle smiled, and the superior little grin made Majesty’s teeth grit, “we’re called alicorns.”

“Actually,” Majesty corrected her, “this is called an alicorn.” And she tapped her horn to demonstrate.

“No, that’s a horn.”

“Of course it is. But rhinos have horns, and narwhals have horns; when a unicorn has a horn, it is called an alicorn.”

“But that’s what I am.”

“No, that’s what you have.

Princess Twilight Sparkle was getting annoyed, which betrayed how young she was; she wasn’t used to having to hide that emotion yet. “You know, I think I’ve gotten all I need to know, thank you for your help! I’m going to talk to some other leaders. Maybe closer to my own time.” She was smiling, but it was through gritted teeth.

“I think that’s a good idea,” Majesty agreed, and it was sincere, even in the face of the purple unicorn’s annoyance. “If I’m one of the earliest pony rulers, then it would stand to reason that a later monarch would know more about ruling; maybe even about being the Princess of Friendship. That’s not a title I’ve ever heard of.”

“Well… alright, then. Thank you. For - thank you.” Twilight Sparkle said, a little clumsily, and gave Majesty a little nod. Majesty returned it, and watched as the little unicorn pulled out a scroll from her cloak. Her horn glowed, and she touched the scroll with it; and before her very eyes, Princess of Friendship Twilight Sparkle vanished.

“Incredible!” Majesty murmured, and stared at the spot she had stood for a long moment; a sharp crash from inside interrupted her thoughts.

Princess Amethyst!!!”

Majesty sighed. Another day, another royal argument to diffuse. This group almost made her miss the dog-beasts.