• Published 1st Nov 2021
  • 2,115 Views, 110 Comments

We Sing Cover Songs - GaPJaxie



The changeling who impersonated Rarity during To Where and Back Again returns to Ponyville to say she's sorry.

  • ...
6
 110
 2,115

Chapter 2

More than a week passed before Rarity traveled to the bowling alley. In the back, there was a rickety set of stairs, and at their end, a worn wooden door. She knocked firmly, and when there was no answer, she continued to knock as persistently as Novelty had knocked on the door of Carousel Boutique. But still no creature came, and when Rarity put her ear to the door, she could hear no motion or other sounds of inhabitation within.

So she tried the handle and found the door unlocked.

The attic was large but mostly unfinished, being partitioned into a series of spaces which might optimistically be called rooms. These rooms were defined by plain dividing walls that did not quite reach the ceiling and were made accessible by doorways without doors, resulting in a space that offered only marginal privacy. Entering slowly, casting her eyes about as she did, Rarity found that many of the spaces were used for storage, containing bowling alley equipment. Only three were given over to tenants.

There was one common space, which contained little crystals, pockets of moss, ferns, and other things which reminded her of the reformed changeling hive. There was a sleeping space, apparently communal, which contained five waxy pods and little else. Finally, there was a room used to store instruments: a set of drums, a saxophone, a french horn, two guitars, a xylophone, and a triangle.

It was the last room that caught Rarity’s eye, both because it was out of place and because it contained the only thing that might be described as a personal item among the communal, utilitarian furnishings. There was a book resting next to the instruments, and when Rarity flipped it open, she found it to be a journal full of dated entries. Some were common prose, some were sketches, some contained musical compositions. But there wasn’t a name on the cover, or any other way to discern which changeling it belonged to.

The door latch clicked behind her.

Fast as any pegasus, agile as any gymnast, silent as the wind, her heart pounding inside her chest, Rarity darted to the open attic window, swung out onto the roof, and from there leaped down unseen into the bushes beside the building.

Her getaway was clean.