• Published 31st Oct 2021
  • 7,390 Views, 210 Comments

Ultimate Spiders and Magic: Episode I "New Beginnings" - Maximus_Reborn



Peter Parker transfers to Canterlot High, all while forgings new bonds with friends and enemies. Typical Parker Luck ensues.

  • ...
14
 210
 7,390

Prologue: That's the Parker Luck, Chuck

Ultimate Spiders and Magic: New Beginnings

Prologue: “That’s the Parker Luck, Chuck”

Life in general for the average Joe can be rather hectic, whether it is juggling the lifestyles of a job, marriage, or what to eat for breakfast. However, for a young teenager, Peter Parker, he would've almost paid to be Joe, and it wasn't for reasons an average person would expect. Six months ago, a simple spider bite turned a nerdy, awkward kid into a being with super strength, adhesive touch, speed, durability, and a built-in radar for danger.

Within the first month of developing these ‘super powers’, several events occurred. However, those tales are for another time. This tale begins in the ever-bustling city of New York. In a world of heroes and villains, local newcomer, Spider-Man, was just a tiny blip on the radar. He was some vigilante who stopped small crimes: preventing simple burglaries and scooping kittens from trees.

This was nothing like Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor. However, Spider-Man was not held in high regard in the city. For reasons unknown, the Daily Bugle slandered this rookie relentlessly and labeled him a menace in spite of only being around for a number of months.

Long story short, Spider-Man had a spotty reputation at best, and today things had decided to take a turn for the absolute worst. An armored van sped through the street and bulldozed its way through traffic after leaving the bank, in what was clearly a robbery; as evident by mounds of cash escaping out of its open windows and into the breeze. Spider-Man soared through the sky with a grip on a thread in pursuit of the runaway vehicle before releasing his hold, landing on its hood. He reared his head over the side, sharing a glance with the passenger.

“Holy crap! It’s the Spider-Ling!” he exclaimed, opening fire with a shotgun.

Spider-Man’s bug-like lenses narrowed as he swayed his head out of the assailent’s viewpoint and bullets. “It’s Spider-Man! Where is everyone getting Spider-Ling from?!” he replied with a crack in his voice. “It’s slander, I tell you! Though it is better than Spider-Boy, I’ll give you that much.”

Exasperated, he thrust his hand through the open window. In one swift motion, the passenger was hoisted and hurled out of the vehicle. Spider-Man shot out a thread of webbing onto the nearest street light, latching the other end to the armed man’s chestplate.

As he hung helplessly, Peter cleared his throat. “Seriously, though. It’s Spider-Man. Just Spider-Man. There’s no ‘the’ or anything like--" Peter's correction was forcibly cut short on the account of ducking aside the gunfire from the weapon the driver now brandished. Spider-Man pointed at the aggressor. "Hey! It's really rude to interrupt someone when they are trying to introduce themselves, you know. New Yorkers, am I right?"

Shaddup!” the driver yelled from inside, firing another round through the windshield. “You’re going to be Spider-Dead if you don’t beat it!”

Several more bullets rapidly pierced through the hood of the car, forcing Spider-Man to stumble backwards out of range until his footing was lost. He bounced off the pavement, rolling for several meters before leaping high into the air and landing atop a wooden fruit stand. The object creaked in protest, eventually giving under Spider-Man’s weight. Apples scattered every which direction and spread across the street. Slack-jawed, the owner of the stand stared at his possessions before his face boiled to match an apple-red tone. Spider-Man could only sheepishly shrug as the angered man hurled descriptive expletives in his vicinity before shooting a strand of webbing, resuming his swinging pursuit.

“Spider-Dead? Yeesh, and I thought my jokes were bad,” Peter mumbled, eyeing the vehicle in the distance before glancing back at the many profanities escaping from the fruit-stand owner behind him. “Sir! I’m really sorry, but let’s not bring race into this!”

The armored vehicle swayed past several cans and bystanders, narrowly missing each obstacle with every motion. Eventually, the van left all subtlety by the wayside and rammed its way through traffic, sending cars careening towards the sidewalks. Spider-Man’s lenses widened at the sight as some of the vehicles readied to tumble onto innocent civilians.

He frantically shot dozens of balls of webbing to the underside of each vehicle, causing many threads to expand upon impact. Each car was stopped in its tracks, hanging in place throughout the streets like flies caught in a web. However, the same couldn't be said about the civilians caught in the crosshairs, leaving just as many people as there were cars stuck in place. Like the fruit stand owner prior, the people had many choice words for the fledgling vigilante.

Spider-Man’s masked eyes furrowed while a defeated sigh escaped from his mouth. “This has been a very merry morning. I oversleep, miss breakfast, and I’m two hours late for school!” he exclaimed as a late realization struck his mind like lightning to a rod. Lifting his legs, Spider-Man threw himself forward with greater haste and caught up to the van. “Let’s finish this before things get even worse! Aunt May’s going to kill me if she finds out I’m late again!”

As if on cue, the back of the van swung open with a spray of loose cash to reveal two rough-shaven men, each brandishing a rocket launcher. Before he could even utter a response, both shots were fired. Spider-Man contorted his body, narrowly avoiding the two missiles in midair. The world around Peter slowed while he stared down the projectiles, one speeding towards a busy street while the other’s trajectory shifted in the direction of a public transport bus.

In a panic, Peter once again extended both hands and shot a strand of webbing onto both missiles, keeping his grip. However, the missiles proved chaotic, spinning wildly until both strands were tangled. Spider-Man was snatched from midair and thrown to the ground with a thud, losing his hold of one of the threads in the process while barely hanging onto the second. The ballistic projectile then spiraled uncontrollably through the air, dangerously close to ground level, before it sped across an empty lot, burst through the corner edge of a building and detonated.

This alone was bad, but evident by Peter’s sharp intake of breath, it proved to be a worst-case scenario. An explosion erupted from Midtown High School, sending debris flying about. Soon, a second explosion erupted from the flame, and before long, half of the building collapsed onto itself in a burning heap. The entire world honed in on the area, from fire trucks to news anchors.

Only two things coursed through everyone’s minds. This was clearly Spider-Man’s fault, and ironically (and embarrassingly), thank God it was Saturday.


Several hours passed, but the headlines were ever relentless. Back at his home, Peter could only sit on the couch with his face resting in his palms and listen haplessly as James Jonah Jameson threw in his two cents on the newscast.

“You see?! This right here is why I say the things that I say! Spider-Man is no hero! He’s a menace!” he exclaimed, banging his fist against the desk. “We can’t rely on some half-cocked vigilante to handle our issues. Our local law enforcement can take care of two-bit criminals. Instead, Spider-Man manages to blow up a school!” He paused, inhaling deeply before howling. “Yes, we are fortunate no one was harmed, but what happens otherwise?! Now the stove is hot, and that coward is nowhere to be found! I’ll string him up by his webs and--!”

“Oh, hush,” a soft voice firmly yet gently stated. Before Jameson could finish his colorful description, the television screen dissipated. Suddenly, an older woman with short brown with a few strands of gray mixed in sat next to Peter, offering a smile. “That’s the problem with the news. It is almost never good,” she whispered, placing a hand over Peter’s thigh. “You tried your best, sweetie. The important thing is that you and no one else was injured. Jameson has been harassing you ever since you started.”

Peter inhaled deeply before sighing. “Really feel like I just justified everything with today’s blunder, Aunt May. It’s not everyday a guy manages to destroy an entire school in one blow. Bad gasoline or not, I always seem to hit the bankrupt lottery. That’s the Parker luck, Chuck.”

May paused, arching a brow. “I’m just more amazed that you managed to mix up your days again. Curfews and calendars exist for a reason. The all-nighters have to stop, son.”

Peter opened his mouth, ready to respond, clearing his throat upon spotting May’s firm glare. “So you found out about those, huh?” Letting out a defeated sigh, Peter could only frown and lower his head. “So what is the sentence this time? Are we talking a slap on the wrist or solitary confinement? Maybe no allowance for the next three thousand years? I hear waterboarding is all the rage overseas.”

In one swift motion, May thrust Peter’s costume into a box before doing the same with his mask and web-shooters. “No more Spider-Man until you learn to balance it with your schooling and housework. Your grades are slipping, your attendance is bad, and your room is always a mess. If you didn’t ace all of your tests, there’s no telling how behind you would be. Are we clear?” May raised an eyebrow as she waited for a response.

“Crystal clear. I still study, but I totally get where you are coming from,” Peter exhaled. In spite of all of his newfound strength, he was just as powerless as any child to a parent, and in his world, May was the law. The young man simply nodded. “It’s probably best I stay off the radar for a while anyway.”

May stood over Peter for what seemed like an eternity before her stern gaze finally softened. “We both know why you’re doing this. I’ve supported your decision since the start, but there has to be a balance. You know he wouldn’t want you to lose out on your education for his sake. You are too brilliant and gifted to let that happen.”

A firm set of knocks were heard at the door, prompting both May and Peter to pause. The young man left his seat, gesturing for his aunt to take his place with a wave. Approaching the door, Peter turned the knob and slowly opened it, revealing a tall and older man clad in dark attire. He glared at the young man with a scowl, narrowing his gaze as Peter stared at his eyepatch.

After an uncomfortable silence, Peter stammered. “Um… Can I help you?”

His posture ever poised, the ebony-skinned man placed his hands over his hips. “No, but I can help you. Nick Fury, director of SHIELD.”

“You’re who from what now?” Peter blurted out, tilting his head to the side with an arched brow.

“Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division. SHIELD. Don’t worry. We’re discreet,” Fury nonchalantly stated, holding out his badge before placing it back in his pocket. He walked his way past Peter, shifting his gaze around the room. Once the door was closed, Fury’s frown deepened. “That was quite the show you put on, kid. It was like a car crash that I couldn’t stop watching.”

Peter tilted his head to the side, furrowing his brow. “What are you talking about?”

Rolling his eyes. Fury exhaled. “Don’t play dumb, kid. I know that you’re Spider-Man.”All of the air in the room grew cold, evident by Peter’s pale demeanor. Just as May opened her mouth to speak, Fury raised a hand. “And I know that you know he’s Spider-Man. It’s my job to know everything that goes in the world. Like that drug sting you busted last night. You didn’t make it back home until four in the morning.It’s no wonder your days are screwed up.”

Four in the morning?! Peter Benjamin Parker! Are you kidding me? You are grounded for life!” Aunt May shouted, throwing a hand over her mouth.

Peter blankly stared at Fury. “Well, thanks. I’ve known you for two minutes, and I already hate you.”

May cleared her throat after an awkward silence, shushing her nephew with a glare. She simply blinked before her eyes widened, as if a thought struck her mind. “So you are a government official? CIA?”

Fury huffed, chuckling under his breath. “CIA? That’s cute. No. CIA doesn’t even know about us. So are you two going to cooperate and hear me out? I can blow the whistle on you two if you aren’t willing to comply.”

Inhaling deeply before letting out a low sigh, May motioned for Peter to take a seat next to her. Once situated, she glared at the man. “No need. Sure. The secret is out. How many know?”

Fury shook his head. “Just me. I’ve known for about three months now. Nothing has been stored in the SHIELD database. Consider this a ‘personal endeavor’.”

“So you’re a spy? Like 007? Prove it! What do you all know about me?” Peter blurted out, leaning forward in his seat.

The corner of Nick Fury’s lips curled as he reached into one of his pockets. “I’m many things, kid.”

He retrieved a small cube device before placing it on the table. Small holographic images materialized and hovered overhead, revealing walls of texts and images of Spider-Man. Fury used his fingers to scroll through the information. May’s mouth fell agape at the bright display of technology.

Peter matched her expression, his eyes practically glowing. “Okay. That’s so cool! It’s like Star Trek in 3D!”

“Super strength, bio-magnetic touch, enhanced agility and durability,” Fury stated, arching a brow at an image of Peter dodging bullets at point blank range. “Fantastic reaction speed, almost as if you knew an attack was coming.”

May and Peter glanced at each other before the young man shifted his gaze back to Fury. “Ever since I got my abilities, all of my senses have been cranked up to eleven, and I can feel everything around me. Like…” he trailed off, swiping his hand to the side. Peter’s fingers held a fly in place by its wings before releasing it, allowing the bug to resume its flight. “I can get the worst migraines at times. So I find ways to help focus.”

Fury opened the box containing Peter’s costume, rubbing a thumb over the thick lenses. “That explains a lot. I take it that these keep your senses from overloading?” Peter simply nodded, earning a firm smile from Fury. “That’s pretty impressive, kid. The fact that you created this on your own shows another gift you have that I forgot to mention: you’re smart. Even before your ‘accident’, I checked your school records and saw that you have a brilliant mind. Your grades match Tony Stark’s and Reed Richards when they were your age. Right now, you have the highest GPA in the region and it's not even close.”

Peter tilted his head to the side. “So what do you want from me exactly?”

“To help you,” Fury bluntly declared, closing the holographic device before placing it back into his pocket. “Kid-- No. Peter-- you have probably the most promise and potential of all the heroes I’ve ever studied and met. But right now, you are reckless, sloppy, green, and in dire need of a fresh start. You blowing up that school is a PR nightmare, and you’ve become the poster child for media victimization and why vigilantes need to be reigned in.”

May narrowed her gaze, squeezing Peter’s shoulder firmly yet gently. “How do you plan to help my nephew? I figured you would arrest him or worse, but that’s obviously not your intention.”

Fury folded his arms. “Relocation. I will be moving you to a new revenue and home, and Peter will be transferring to a new school. The city is small and practically sealed off. It will give the kid a chance to lie low until the bad press blows over. Plus, it’s easier for me to monitor your movements there. New York is chock full of heroes and villains. Where I’m sending you will be a welcome change of pace.”

“What does that mean?” Peter questioned, folding his arms.

Fury smirked. “You’ll find out. You’ll help the town as much as it will help you.”

Exhaling loudly, Peter threw up his hands in a frustrated manner. “That answer is just as cryptic!”

Ignoring the teenager, Fury turned his attention back to May. “I will also ensure you are financially provided for until you're able find a new job to maintain yourself, Mrs. Parker.”

May’s eyes widened at the prospect. “That’s… very generous of you.” The older woman let out a relieved sigh, allowing her face to rest in the palms of her hands. “Thank God.”

“From here on, I will be monitoring you, Peter Parker. Don’t call me. I’ll call you. So make sure you don’t blow your cover or any more buildings, okay?” Fury dryly muttered, furrowing his brow.

Blinking, Peter scratched the back of his head. “We can pretend like I have a say in the matter, but I will save us the trouble.”

Fury chuckled under his breath. “I knew you were a smart kid. I think we’ll get along as long as you follow my rules.I just have one more question.” Sobering, Nick stared intently at the costume within the box. “Why are you doing this? You help people then you disappear, and you aren’t getting paid for it… which means you aren’t in this for the glory or money. Call it a hunch, but I want to hear it from you before I help.”

Exhaling softly, Peter glanced off to the side before shifting his gaze to Fury. “Someone has to look out for the little guy. I just want people to know that as long as I’m around, they won’t be ignored. Let’s leave it at that.”

“Is that right?” Fury whispered, staring Peter down as his shoulders dipped. He glanced to the side, noticing May’s similar shift in demeanor. After an awkward silence, Fury huffed before smirking with a nod. “Fair enough, kid. Say goodbye to New York.”

As if on cue, a few people walked into the room dressed in blue movers’ attire, boxing every item in reach. As they repeated the process and readied to move on to the furniture, Fury offered May a small envelope.

“We’ll be flying you out immediately. By the time you land, everything will be in place at the presented address.Take a few days to get familiar with the town and see which of the two schools you’d like to enroll the kid in. I’ve already sent both schools his transcript information.”

Peter stared blankly at Fury, frowning. “There’s planning ahead and then there’s this. It’s like you knew this was going to happen.” The movers were efficient, having completed the house in mere minutes. Life was moving ahead without him. Peter let out a defeat sigh and shrugged. “So just where are we going?”

“Someplace colorful,” Fury muttered offhandedly, allowing the corner of his lips to curl into a smile before he exited the room. “Good luck, kid.”

Prologue: End