• Published 13th Sep 2012
  • 19,900 Views, 1,758 Comments

Equestrian Earth the MMORPG - Chaotic Note



Twilight has fun playing a virtual reality game with her friends, adventuring across an ancient Equestria, until she learns of players never waking up.

  • ...
63
 1,758
 19,900

*Chapter 09: Canterlot Nights & Morning Headaches

A Chaotic Production presents...

The Adventuring Arc

Chapter 9

~ edited by ultra1437

Second Arc's Theme Song - Code Geass - Opening 1 (HQ)



“So uh, how’s life?”

“Fine,” came a simple reply.

“Okay… beautiful weather we’re having.”

“It’s nice…”

Twilight was panicking that she might have already broken the twig. Why was Trixie being so distant with her? She wouldn’t even look at her. She was just staring at the wall! Why? Why? How was she going to get to the sorry part, if they couldn’t even find common ground?! Twilight moaned a bit, and walked circles in place. It was a bad and embarrassing habit of hers, but she couldn’t help to do so right now. When she finished her tiny tantrum, she looked back at Trixie. The mare was giving her weird looks. It looked like she was trying to comprehend what on earth Twilight was doing. She blushed madly. She didn’t think Trixie would see!

‘Of course she was going to see!’ Twilight angrily scolded to herself. ‘You’re standing right in front of her!’

“You know, it’s kinda funny how I’m here in this room. With you. Just the two of us in Luna’s room.” Twilight chuckled lightly to try to elevate the atmosphere.

It failed. Trixie went back to staring at the wall. She was looking nervous as well. Twilight saw this as strange. Wasn’t Trixie really riled up last night?

“Is everything alright?” Twilight asked sincerely. She then launched into her apology, “I’m sorry if I did something wrong.”

‘Well that was easy,’ Twilight miserably thought.

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” Trixie quietly answered her question. “I’m doing fine.”

Yet, Trixie was looking very guilty and awkward as Twilight herself felt right now. Honestly, Twilight couldn’t help that Trixie should be feeling the same way Twilight did. She had no idea what wrong she did to Trixie.

She could feel her bad side egging her on, You should show that bitch what for! Nopony starts a duel with Twilight and gets away with it! Especially in video games!

Her good side, however, replied with, Don’t listen to the red meanie! She’s everything that stands for bad! If I were you, I would give her a hug! Hugs always make others feel better! You should know, Pinkie Pie gives them all the time!

Those thoughts jockeyed for control in her mind for a few seconds, before the hug thought won out. Nothing more, nothing less. It was just a clear stream of commands telling her body to embrace Trixie. A hug wouldn’t hurt, right? Twilight rushed over to mare, and gave her a comforting squeeze. The magician was taken aback from the sudden embrace, but didn’t make any moves to stop Twilight.

“W-what are you doing?” Trixie asked uneasily, stammering her words somewhat.

“Giving you a hug.” Twilight gave her a quick smile and another squeeze.

Twilight held that hug for a few soothing moments, before she let go. She chuckled awkwardly and sat on the other side of the table. She looked at the cards that were abandoned from the interrupted game.

“So, what were you two doing?” Twilight casually asked.

“Princess Luna was just teaching me in the form of a game. She hid its moral quite well,” Trixie picked up a card with six mares on it before continuing, “The trick was to use everything I had, to win. Be resourceful and all. This card was what made me realize what the lesson was truly about.” She shifted attentively. “Also, it reminded me of a certain mare,” at that, Trixie looked away to the balcony outside.

Twilight’s eyes widened at Trixie’s last statement. She politely brought her hoof out, her body language asking if she could see the card. Trixie passed the card to her. Twilight looked it over with extreme interest. It was just as she thought. The six mares in the picture had somewhat resembled Twilight and her friends. The complete set of the Bearers of Harmony.

“Hey, um, Twilight?”

Twilight looked up from the card to see Trixie rubbed her forehooves nervously. She gave a shaky, but serene, smile.

“Since you’re in Canterlot and all, how bout we go around for a bit. There’s a festival happening tonight.”

Twilight wanted to say no, and get to her visit's point, but Trixie seemed eager to show her around. Well… as eager as Fluttershy would. She decided to go along with Trixie's plan for now. Twilight felt that they could use a little bonding time. Besides, she could use a little relaxation. Her muscles were all stressed from the journey.

“Sure, why not?” Twilight excitedly replied.

+Ω‡‡¥‡‡Ω+

She could see a whole team of unicorns magically setting up the entire City's canvas. Strings holding up red and green orbs were in the process of being hung from building to scaling building, and some of the beautiful evergreen trees were decorated with bright and colorful ornaments as others had the finishing touches added to them. The lights on the trees were lit up, showing off a vibrant aura of color. Even though it was broad daylight, Twilight had to look away from the blinding wonder. The mare that was assigned to them quickly dimmed them, while a group of stallions and mares were singing a chorus. Twilight mentally knocked herself in the head for her forgetfulness. In her hurry, she forgot that it was almost Hearth Warming’s Eve.

She should probably take a look around, in hopes of finding a proper gift for each of her friends back home. Of course, there was also Shining Armor, she quickly thought he could probably go for a new suit, Cadance, who perhaps wanted a scrapbook? She got a letter from her earlier announcing the soon-to-be newborn, Princess Celestia, whom Twilight never could figure out what she wanted, and Trixie…

“GAH!!” Twilight exclaimed as she broke out of her stupor.

“Is something wrong?” Trixie looked at Twilight with concern.

Twilight quickly wiped the sweat off her brow, “Nothing! Nothing!” She then considered her thoughts, and decided to go for it. There’s no point to beating around the bush anymore. “Actually, no, Trixie. There is something I want to say,” she gently placed a hoof on the showmare’s shoulder. “I really don’t know what I did to hurt you. I don’t know what made you so angry to attack me last night, but if I did something wrong, then I just want to say that I’m sorry.”

Trixie just looked at her befuddled, as if Twilight told her the definition of a complicated word, and that she still didn’t understand it as she replied, “T-that’s why you were acting so weird around me?”

“Y-yeah. Why?”

Trixie shuffled her hooves on the cobblestone road. “W-well. To be honest, you haven’t done anything wrong. I’m the only one that was in the wrong last night.”

It was Twilight’s turn to be confused now and she posed a question, “Then why did you attack me last night?”

The tables seemed to have switched, with Trixie growing anxious while Twilight was looking on confusedly. “Well, the thing is... I was kind of a bit je-“

“Trixie! Is that you?” a voice suddenly interjected.

The two mares turned around to see a cute-looking brown colt, with a green, spiky mane rushing towards them. He had a cutie mark of a golden bowl with a ball of flames lighting the insides of it. The colt pointed at the row of street lamps lining the stone roads.

“We want to give the lights inside of it a really nice glow, but our main decorator caught the sniffles. Think you could lend us a hoof?”

“Sure Passion,” Trixie smiled serenely.

The azure mare wasted no time at all as her horn glowed with magic. A swarm of light blue orbs flew around her, as her horn’s aura grew brighter. The orbs then shot at each lamp’s glass case, bouncing around the insides of it a little before staying still. The stunning effect gave off a nice afterglow to the lamps. An illusion of candy canes and golden bells, was displayed around some lamps. Some others had crescent moons and sparkling stars. The ponies around the square were struck with awe as they appreciated the lighting display. The pony Trixie called Passion, gave her a light shoulder punch.

“That was awesome! Thanks Trixie. You always know how to light up a show,” he looked over to Twilight. “So, who’s your friend?”

Trixie gestured towards her before speaking, “Oh, this is Twilight Sparkle. She’s a fellow apprentice, like me.”

“Oooh!” he realized. He gave Twilight a knowing wink, “You’re Princess Celestia’s student right? Trixie told me a whole lot about you. Well, allow me to introduce myself and the others.” He quickly turned and pointed at himself and the others as he called out their respective names. “I’m Passionate Light, and these are my friends: Amiable Starstreak, Feather Duster, and Bolt Strike.”

Amiable Starstreak was a confident, yellow pegasus mare, with a blue and orange mane. Her cutie mark was a falling star, with a trailing of smaller stars following it. Feather Duster was a shy, light-brown pegasus mare, whose head wore her simple, white mane beautifully. She grinned a little while showing her cutie mark, a duster with feathers on it. Bolt Strike was an orange pegasus colt, with a showy, yellow mane that looked like it could have been zapped by a lightning bolt. It certainly looked like one. His cutie mark was an outburst of three lightning bolts, all parallel to each other. He looked as gleeful as an athlete who just won the gold medal.

“Say Trixie,” Amiable started with a small grin. “It’s almost getting dark, and we were planning to hit the club tonight. Wanna come with? Twilight can come along too if she wants.”

“Sure,” Trixie quickly answered with glee. She gave Twilight a sly grin. “I don’t know about you, but this night club amazing.”

“Drinks are on me,” Amiable offered.

“Well-l-l,” Twilight droned on.

The thing is, Twilight never went drinking before. If she had the slightest clue of what night clubs offered, which she did, it was alcoholic beverages. Her mom warned that if she wasn’t careful, she could end up on the wrong bed, which, by the way, was how she met her husband met. Good thing it ended beautifully for the both of them. Still, she couldn’t stop there. Trixie was just about to reveal something to her earlier, but she didn’t quite get to finish it. She might as well stick around for the ride.

“Sure,” Twilight accepted Amiable's offer. “Where’s this club at?”

+Ω‡‡¥‡‡Ω+

Twilight found herself at the entrance of Jazz Beau et Techno. She had a slight clue of what beau could stand for, but jazz and techno were clear enough. She never heard of this club before, she never tried to explore Canterlot to find its many hidden gems, but she knew what to expect out of the place. The suave bouncer let them in, nodding to both Amiable and Trixie. It seemed that the two mares were well known in the city. Twilight remembered getting those approving looks from others back then. She still noticed them today as she walked around with the others.


A soul-lifting spell greeted Twilight as she entered the club halls. She could see the small band of ponies playing the tune, with a dark cyan-blue pegasus at the lead, wielding a brass saxophone as her instrument of power. She had a wild blue-and-red mane, and looked like she was enjoying herself immensely. Strangely, the player looked quite familiar to Twilight. As much as she wanted to find out her identity, she had a goal to achieve here. She could always get to that later. Everywhere, ponies were walking up to Trixie and Amiable. They were giving them polite greetings and hoofshakes. They were quite friendly with Twilight and the others as well. The bartender noticed them, and quickly filled with a plate of drinks for the group. He hit every single glass with the utmost of accuracy, making sure not a drop of precious liquid was missed. He placed the platter of the tall glasses onto the glass counter.

“We’re glad to have you here,” the bartender then tipped his white cap to them and headed off to take care to the other clubbers’ needs.

Passionate leaned towards Twilight’s ear and whispered as best he could over the music, “Amiable is one of Canterlot’s more recent social powerhouses. She has strong ties with the great Octavia and DJ-Pon3, which is why we were easily allowed in. She’s also an avid volunteer with many of Canterlot’s events and charities. Amiable was often the co-leader of most of them.”

“How did you get to know her?” Twilight whispered back.

“Childhood friend,” he winked. “We go way back,” he turned and looked at Amiable with a look, as if remembering exactly how far back they went.

“Passion!” Amiable walked up to him with a drink in hoof. “We’re about to hit the dance floors soon,” She downed the entire glass of the crimson liquid in one gulp. She still looked like she could go for more as she offered, “Wanna come?”

“Sure!” they both scampered off to one of the nearby dance floors.

Passionate and Amiable went off to join the others. Trixie stayed behind with Twilight. She magically floated the tall glass towards her.

“Care to try some?” Trixie asked, turning to Twilight.

Twilight hesitatingly went for the glass, and then shook her head. “Is it safe?”

“Don’t worry. I asked the bartender to water it down. Besides, it’s re-e-eally good.” Trixie was lightly rubbing the rim of the glass along Twilight’s cheeks as she gave Twilight an honest grin.

Twilight decided to give in and try it. As the liquid splashed around her mouth, she instantly tasted apples. The crimson spices and flavor were dropping shells of excitement onto her taste buds. Her eyes gave a little happy twitch as they derped a little. The wave of intense zest smacked into her like a sunny Saturday morning. She knew the taste anywhere.

“Is this apple cider from Sweet Apple Acres,” she mused aloud to herself.

“The one and the same,” Trixie confirmed Twilight's thought. “Your friend really knows how to brew a mean drink. This one time, I tried a small glass of the strongest barrel. I was immediately knocked out when the drink touched my-“

“Trixie? Are you gonna get that flank on the dance floor, or what?” Amiable shouted, looking over.

“Coming!” Trixie gave Twilight an awkward smile. “We should talk later.”

Trixie downed the rest of her drink in one gulp before heading back to the others. She made sure to hand the drink over to the bartender before heading off to join the others. Twilight sighed and took a place at one of the counter seats. She heard the mic pitch ring, as a pony adjusted it before speaking.

“Welcome ladies and gentlecolts! How’re we all doing tonight?”

The crowd answered with a cheer.

“Well then, I’m happy to announce that your night is about to get tangy! These two don’t need a long intro, because their presence speaks for themselves. Please welcome, the ever beautiful and musical extraordinaires: DJ-Pon3 and Octavia!”

The chorus of roars was amplified even louder as the denizens of the club rooted for the legendary duos to step up the plate. Octavia had her classical, wooden cello at her disposal, along with her small team of players ready to support her. DJ-Pon3 was rising up from the depths of the stage, her platform lifting her up along with her chosen deck of silver turntables, and a twin pair of night-black sound-blasting basses. A thin curtain of smoke was floating up as well, temporarily shrouding the disc jockey and her purple shades. The two nodded to each other before starting the beat.

The crowds at the tables and lounge chairs applauded for a bit, before nodding their head to the beat. Some of them relaxed a bit as they calmly listened to the gorgeous melody of classical and dubstep being strung together. The dancers were at their best, as they weaved a couple attractive moves together. Twilight felt her soul being lifted up again, but was then dampened as she saw Trixie enjoying herself. She was still racking her brain at trying to figure out the mare. What was she going to say? It was something about ‘je-‘. What did ‘je-‘ stand for? As she thought long and hard about the puzzle, before a hoof tapped on her shoulder. She turned around to see the same cyan pegasus smiling at her. From afar, the familiar musician looked like a mare, but now that she got to see the pegasus up close, the coltish features started to show up. She knew that face anywhere (kind of).

“Sound Wave?” she voiced her thought.

“That’s right!” he gleefully answered. He took a seat next to Twilight. “I was starting to wonder when you’ll take full notice of me, but you wouldn’t give me a second glance,” he shot a sly look at her. “You were just too busy with that marefriend of yours. The one in the purple cape, am I right?”

Twilight warmly blushed red as she stammered, “W-what? No! We’re just friends! That’s all!”

Sound Wave gave a light chuckle before hoof bumping her shoulder. “Relax Twilight, I’m only kidding. It’s great to actually see you in real life.”

Twilight nodded warmly as she agreed. The last time they met, it was in Equestrian Earth, when Twilight and her friends faced against Paperback and his team in the battle arena. After the battle, the two groups of ponies became fast friends. Sound Wave smiled a bit before looking at her curiously.

“So, what’s a mare like you doing up in Canterlot? Official business?” he asked.

“Kind of,” Twilight groaned in annoyance.

She quickly explained to Sound Wave the reason why she was in Canterlot. The battle she and Trixie had, the morning her friends found out about her plan, the moment she met with Trixie, all the way up to here at the club. Sound Wave nodded at each and every single detail, giving Twilight his full attention.

After she was done, he pondered for a moment before answering, “Well Twilight, I don’t know what to say except, play it cool. Trixie’s bound to tell you what’s up.”

“I know,” Twilight fumed. “It’s just that these distractions...” she gritted her teeth in annoyance. “They just keep butting in! All I wanted was a quiet conversation with Trixie. Why can’t I have that?!”

“Whoa, calm down Twilight! Your mane is smoking,” Sound Wave pointed at the white wisps flowing from her hair.

Twilight panicked lightly before patting out the tiny sparks. She heavily sighed again, and moped a little on the counter. Sound Wave as about to suggest something, until one of his friends called him over.

“Sorry Twilight, I gotta go. It was nice talking to you.” Sound Wave spoke as he slid off his seat.

“You too,” Twilight slowly answered back.

He gave her a quick nod before trotting off, leaving Twilight to wallow a bit in her wonderings. The lively night droned on for a long time as the ponies around her partied like it was doomsday, Faust forbid. Twilight tried her best to enjoy her time, but her questions still came back to haunt her consciousness. She tried to find Trixie in the crowd, but she found herself lost in a deep sea of light, music, drinks, and ponies. Colorful, colorful ponies. She gave up trying to find Trixie before going back to her spot at the counter. She rubbed her head a little from the tiny headache she was developing. As she moaned in exasperation, she looked up again to see Trixie at the counter all by her lonesome. Twilight saw her window of opportunity, and dived right in.

“Hey Trixie! Listen, we need to talk.” Twilight grabbed Trixie and swiveled her around so that they would be facing each other.

She was met with a mare smelling of strong apple cider.

“Not naww! Can’t cha see am busy?” Trixie drawled drunkenly.

“Trixie? Are you okay?”

“Mmmmhm, Yesh! Twizz is per-fact-ly ffiine.” Trixie slurred and took another swing of cider.

Twilight snatched the glass away from her, “I think you had enough, Trixie.”

She seemed to disagree with Twilight, as the fact was that she desperately tried to get her glass of cider back. The two shared an awkward dance as Trixie quested for her precious drink. Her violet eyes spun circles in a dizzy state. She was giggling as if she was sharing a nice tickle.

“Twalight! Stahp it,” Trixie laughed. “Yuur making the room spin.”

Twilight ended up putting the glass down on the counter discreetly, making sure Trixie didn’t notice. She then tried to have Trixie stand up straight, but that epically failed when she stumbled a bit. The two mares crashed to the ground, with Trixie all sprawled on top of her. She was cuddling up to Twilight now, enjoying Twilight's nice warmth in her drunken state.

“Trixie, how many drinks had you have?” Twilight demanded in a calm tone.

“Ah lost’sh count afta twenie something,” Trixie nuzzled her a bit. “U smell nice.”

“Umm, thanks?”

'Well that escalated quickly,' Twilight thought. She grunted a little as she hoisted the drunken mare onto her back. She searched around for the others.

“Where’s Aimiable and the others?” Twilight asked the tired mare.

“Ah don’t know,” she drawled even more. “I rememba dancin’!”

Twilight looked at the dance floor, but it was hard to spot anypony's distinguishable features. The ponies loved to dance, and they do it fast. It was like watching a bunch of sea currents intertwine at a swirling whirlpool. It was that hard to keep track of one pony in there. She gave up after a few minutes of searching, and decided to find a quiet, soft place to place Trixie.

While she couldn't find a quiet spot, she certainly found a spare couch with fluffy cushions. Nopony was occupying it, so she causally tossed the mare onto the sofa. She was about to take her place on the couch, until Trixie dragged her in close with a giggle. Twilight tried to break free from her grip, but Trixe had a fast hold on her. This mare was freakishly strong! Twilight was about to pull of some telekinesis to solve the issue, but then Trixie whispered softly into her ears.

“Hey! Hey Twalight! Ah have a secret to tell you!” she whispered softly, giggling a little bit at the end.

Twilight’s ears perked up at this notification. She waited so long for this moment, that she wasn't about to let this slide. “Go on.”

“Ookay, but you can’t tell Twalight! She’ll just get mad at me, ookay Twalight?”

‘Twalight’ couldn’t help but grin at Trixie’s statement as she responded, “Okay Trixie, I won’t tell Twilight.”

“You promish?”

Twilight performed the honorary Pinkie Promise. It seemed appropriate. “Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!”

Trixie took a moment before answering. Her words came out in meshes, but the meaning was very clear. “I’m jealous of Twalight.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow at this. Trixie was jealous? Of her? The hug might be tight, but she stayed quiet to let her continue her story..

“It’s just that, ah never knew what made Twalight so talented. She had an aweshome amount of skhills compared to me. When ah was made Luna’s student, I found out that Twalight was takin’ lessons from Celestia. That made me weally jealous, and ah wanted to prove mahshelf to her, so I gave her dah cold shoulders and challenged her again.” Trixie slowly shook her head, and quietly shed a tear. “Ah’m a horrible friend. Ah shouldn’t have done that. Now Twalight ish mad at me.”

Twilight’s heart broke a little when she heard that. She felt Trixie loosen her grip on her. She wanted to break free from the embrace, but she instead turned around and returned Trixie’s hug. She stroke her silver-blue mane.

“Don’t worry Trixie. I’m pretty sure Twilight isn’t mad at you,” Twilight comforted her drunken friend.

“Weally?”

“Really,” Twilight nodded as best she could, given the circumstances.

Trixie yawned a little. “Well, that’sh good. Ah’m gunna shleep fur a bit.”

Twilight gently smiled. “You go ahead and do that.”

She waited until she heard the small snores of the Great and Sleepy Trixie. She attempted to get out, but Trixie regained a tight lock around her. She then yawned a little. Her eyelids drooped a little to the sound of the musical beat of Octavia and DJ-Pon3. Her head nodded a bit before her mind dozed off. Her vision turned black as she slept quietly beside her friend.

+Ω‡‡¥‡‡Ω+

Twilight groaned a for a moment as she woke up. It was a bright morning obviously, from the rays of light that was streaming through the windows. The club seemed dead, as there weren't any melodies filling the air, and most of the ponies from last night had left. Only a couple were left, some of them in lazy states like her. The music however was still banging on her eardrums, leaving a morning headache in her mind. Trixie was lightly snoring beside her, stilling hugging Twilight from last night. It wasn’t as tight as before, so she was easily able to slide out of it. Twilight felt around her mane, only to be met with the texture of dreaded bed hair. She scolded herself for not bring a brush with her. As she tried her best to comb the messy nest to a more appropriate look, she was greeted with a familiar cough from behind. The blood in her veins froze as fear held a tight grip over her throat. With wide eyes, she slowly turned around to be met with a certain prismatic daredevil friend of hers.

“Twilight, you are so screwed,” Rainbow Dash chuckled arrogantly.

Author's Note:

9/16/12

Well, manage to finish it. That was pretty fun to write. Totally worth my parent's complaining as well. Right now, it's 11:50 PM in PST time right now, and I need some well deserved sleep. Also, I would appreciate it if you check out The Pegasus and the Book of Tomes. I think that little adventure deserves a good read. Wink wink.

((My mom just yelled at me. Great. Cya later.))

9/17/12

Okay, there you have it! It's up there now. I totally forgot to publish the chapter yesterday. Sorry!