• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 1,742 Views, 65 Comments

Pumpkin's Struggle (Part 3): Love is a Lie - AngelShy24



Pumpkin Cake continues with her bi-polar struggles.

  • ...
4
 65
 1,742

Dealing with a Demon

Pumpkin Cake was facing some stressful problems at school thanks to a filly named Ruby Rose. Miss Cheerliee was hoping resolve this problem by having a talk with Ruby’s mother. Unfortunately, her hopes were cut short finding out that the mother didn’t really care about what happens to Pumpkin. Unknown to her and the Cake family however, it’s all a set up! Ruby’s mother, Envy Rose, is actually using her own daughter to try and draw out Pumpkin’s alternate bi-polar side so that she could be out of control again and would have to be taken back to the psychiatric ward. The question was… why was Ruby’s mother against Pumpkin’s freedom and what does she have against her?

Miss Cheerliee made her way down to Sugar Cube Corner to explain the situation to Pumpkin’s parents; and Pinkie Pie was there too to hear everything.

“What, there was another fight;” the pink mare shouted, “that’s like… the 5th time in two weeks!”

Mr. and Mrs. Cake certainly did not feel comfortable about the whole situation of their daughter getting into fights; especially when they know what it could lead into.

“Miss Cheerliee only walked in on the fight,” said Pound, “but I saw the whole thing happen; as did everypony else that was there. It usually takes me and Pumpkin’s friend, Minty, to hold her back and keep her calm; but today, it was too much.”

As Miss Cheerliee was sitting in the main room having the conversation with the parents, she couldn’t help but noticed Pumpkin who was lying on the floor with her back turned from them and her face lying on her hooves; showing eyes of a blank, cold stare. The magenta mare guessed that the majority of her stress hasn’t settled down yet.

“This is terrible;” said Mrs. Cake in a troubled voice, “that naughty little filly is not helping our daughter’s condition with all these… insults; what if Pumpkin ends up seriously hurting her?!”

“But this time… it’s worse,” said Cheerliee in a troubled tone.

Both Cakes got even more worried as they both said, “W-w-worse?!”

“Your daughter told me and actually admitted to me herself that she was almost tempted to… kill that little filly.”

Pumpkin’s parents literally had sweat rolling down their coats; Pumpkin never had a pure intent to kill since she was released from the Health and Care center. Hearing about this made them worried all over again.

“Well… that doesn’t sound good,” said Pinkie.

“She was asking for it,” said Pumpkin suddenly in a lowly voice while she was still facing away from them.

They all suddenly looked over at Pumpkin whose head was tilted towards their direction. Her eyes seemed narrowed and her horn was slightly glowing again.

“But she should count herself lucky; I didn’t get a chance to draw any blood.”

They all got sudden chills upon hearing Pumpkin making that kind of statement. Pumpkin gave them a slight creepy smirk before turning her head back around and resting it again on her hooves.

“Um… Pumpkin,” said Mr. Cake awkwardly, “please, come back to us.”

“Did Ruby Rose make any physical contact with Pumpkin before the fight?” asked Mrs. Cake.

Knowing that their teacher never sees how a fight starts, Pound answered for Cheerliee.

“No, she doesn’t; she never does. She knows that all she has to do to push her button is use her harsh words. She doesn’t faze me at all, but the same can’t be said about Pumpkin.”

Cheerliee didn’t want to think about that dreaded unicorn mother that she spoke to earlier, but she knew that she had to; they had to understand what was going on.

“And the absolute worst thing about all of this…” she said spouting a few tears of worry, “the filly’s mother won’t do anything about it; in fact she hardly even cares!”

They all looked at Cheerliee hoping that she was kidding; but they all knew better.

“She what?!” shouted Pinkie, “Oh it’s on now!”

“She says that she’ll talk to her daughter about the situation,” said Cheerliee in a sarcastic tone, “but something tells me that doing that won’t help Pumpking in any way.”

Pumpkin’s horn was still brightly glowing, but she was still in control; she was trying to focus her anger on something that was not alive.

“This is bad,” said Mrs. Cake, “if this goes on, our little Pumpkin could end up losing it again like she did 9 years ago, and she’ll end up having to go back to that dreaded ward again to make sure she’s still in control!”

“I think that’s what that mother wants,” said Cheerliee in a tone of voice that sounded like she was sick to her stomach.

The whole room fell deaf in silence upon hearing what Cheerliee said. Pound suddenly gave a huge glare at Cheerliee and spoke with a little anger in his voice, “She what?!”

“She thinks that someone like Pumpkin shouldn’t be allowed in the outside world. Even if she has controlled it, she thinks it’s not worth anything and that she should be forever contained like the psycho she is; saying that she nothing but a lost cause.”

All of a sudden, the built up anger in Pumpkin’s magic burst forth and she let out a loud, enraged yell as a 3-teir cake that was made earlier suddenly puffed up like a balloon and then exploded; sending many bits and pieces of sugar bread and frosting all over the main room. The little filly literally scared the crap out of everyone in that room. Pumpkin slowly rose to her feet while taking deep breaths and trying to keep her angered magic down.

“Um… Pumpkin… dear…” said Mrs. Cake while reaching out for her child.

“I… I need to go meditate,” Pumpkin quickly said while she started to head towards the stairs. She then looked over at her parents and told them, “Sorry about the cake, Mom and Dad.” With that, she slowly walked upstairs leaving the rest of her family alone with her teacher.

“S-s-sooo,” said Pinkie suddenly, “who wants to help clean up this delicious mess, mmmmm!”

They all gave Pinkie a funny look and she just grinned kinda awkwardly, “Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.”

“So what do you think we should do?” asked Mr. Cake to Cheerlie.

“Well… I really don’t want to do it; but if this keeps up, I may have to expel Ruby, whether her sorry excuse of a mother likes it or not. But nonetheless, I will do my best to be there for your daughter when you two can’t; and make sure that nothing devastating happens. Not to mention that she has her brother.”

Pound hovered in the air in a proud stance, “That’s right; Pumpkin won’t go crazy as long as I’m around… um, for the most part.”

Cheerliee got up, gathered her things and then placed on her saddle bag. She gave the family a pleasant smile as she walked towards the door.

“Well… I’ll leave you Cakes to yourselves now; and thank you for a wonderful conversation. You all enjoy the rest of your day. Oh, and please, tell Pumpkin that I said not to worry; for all of these things happening are not her fault.”

“We will,” said both Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

With that, Cheerliee left and the Cakes were going on about their work; mainly to clean up the mess that Pumpkin made.

“Oooh,” growled Mrs. Cake, “I just want to march down to that mare’s house and let her have it! She has no right to talk about our daughter that way!”

“Yes, well we better not do anything too rational; otherwise she just might just make it seem like something else.”

Pound looked up the steps that led upstairs as he was starting to worry about his twin sister, “Do you think I should go and check on Pumpkin?”

“Don’t worry about your sister, Pound,” Mr. Cake replied, “She needs to be alone right now to concentrate in keeping her inner emotions at bay; no distractions.”

Pound understood and nodded his head while wiping a few tears, “Yeah, I suppose you’re right, Dad. It might be safer for me not to bother her while she’s holding back her anger. But…” There was a troubling sound in Pound’s tone, “… I can’t help but feel like she’s dealing with something much bigger than what she’s telling us.”

-----


Upstairs, Pumpkin locked herself in her room and was sitting on a cotton mat with her legs crossed. The lights were off and the window was closed and the entire was partially black with one lit candle in front of her; Pumpkin did need to concentrate to keep herself calm, and no distracting objects to see helped a lot. As her horn glowed slightly and her eyes were closed, she was meditating to herself.

“Okay Pumpkin, you shouldn’t worry about a couple of ponies who don’t care about you; they’re outnumbered by the ones by the ones who actually do. Who cares if that pansy calls me a… f-f-freak, or a monster; and who cares if her mother doesn’t care about my well-being, I sure don’t! They won’t get to me; must think positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive…”

Suddenly she felt a certain sinister presence come into her midst. Not from the hall outside the room door, but from the inside depths of her mind. It was a familiar presence that Pumpkin feared would return to haunt her one day.

“You know this is never going to work. It’s best to just give those bastards exactly what they deserve.”

That voice was all too familiar to her, her inner demon that has been the cause of all her past problems; the same one that once almost made her commit… murder.

“I had a feeling that I was going to see you again,” said Pumpkin Cake, “Go away; I’m trying to get you and my problems out of my head.”

Her presence hadn’t changed a bit; the blood-red eyes, the waviness in her mane, her pointed teeth, and that dreaded cutiemark… it would make any pony shiver with fear. But Pumpkin was being calm; she wasn’t planning to let her corrupt her again.

“Ouch, is that any way to treat somepony who you haven’t seen in a while?” She said with a sinister smile.

“You’re not some-pony,” said Pumpkin, “you’re some evil manifestation that wants to corrupt my life.”

“Me, ruin your life,” the sinister figure stated, “Wasn’t it that skank, Ruby Rose, the one whose ruining your life?”

Pumpkin’s ear seemed to twitch from annoyance, “She’s ruining it verbally; you’re ruining emotionally. So, I guess it’s two for two.”

The evil presence was grinning out of amusement; what happen today, she’s never felt Pumpkin get that angry since she was in the psychological ward. This was her chance to try and provoke her and break through her conscience.

“So… are you planning to get revenge on that little filly?”

Pumpkin remained unmoved by the comment, so the figure tried to get closer and whisper in her ear many temptations.

“Are you planning to kill her… make her suffer? How about ripping her apart… and then bathe in her blood!?”

Pumpkin’s eyes remained closed but felt like she was being grossed out by her doppelganger’s descriptions.

“Are you completely deranged?! What makes you think that I would ever do something like intentionally?!”

“Why; because she makes you feel miserable; she’s messing with your heart! You hate her, loathe her, and despise her! You want to make her pay in a fatal way.”

The evil manifestation loved to mess with Pumpkin’s head making her emotions go out of control so she would eventually get her to go on a rampage and have some sick, twisted fun.

“You know what, you’re right;” said Pumpkin coyly, “I do feel that way; I do want to get revenge.”

“Yes, yes! That’s what I wanted to hear, good ol’ Pumpkin is going to get sweet, sweet revenge, and I get to have fun again.”

Unfortunately, for the inner demon, Pumpkin wasn’t going to let her other side trick her again; not like she did nine years ago.

“So why do you think I’m doing this? I’m trying not to go on a rampage the last time I checked.”

“What,” snarled the demon?

“When I was 1yr old, I could not protect myself from you; you were the only reason I was put in that ward in the first place. Now that I’m older I don’t plan on letting that happen ever again.”

Pumpkin continued to meditate to keep her emotions calm; ignoring the evil demon within her. However, that didn’t stop her from getting angry herself. She literally threw herself in front of Pumpkin’s view trying to get her attention.

“Are you completely stupid!? How can you ignore such action from such… irritable ponies?! They insult you, they mock you, and they call you freak! Your pwecious,” she said sarcastically, “family is even being targeted at by their insults! Are you going to simply ignore your inner feelings, continue with this meditation crap, and pretend that nothing is going on here!? You know what I think… you need to get up off your sorry ass flank, and go teach that filly bitch and her mother a lesson that they will never forget! Who cares if they try to put you in that place again?! If they do, you should…”

Suddenly, Pumpkin opened her eyes and got up off her mat as her magic faded away in her horn, “Well, I think that’s enough for now;” She bent down and blew out the single candle that was in front of her, “I need to eat something sweet.”

As she walked towards the door, her inner demon was glaring at her with fumes shooting out her snout. Pumpkin was completely ignoring her; not listening to a single word she said. Pumpkin then walked out the room and closed the door behind her.

“Just you wait,” the inner demon spoke in a lowly demented voice, “one of these days you’re going to lose it; your mind will slip; your body will falter, and your conscience will weaken. When that happens; when you are at your weakest point, I will be there, and you’ll never escape me… again.”

And with that, the shadowy figure disappeared from her mind.

-----

Back downstairs, Pumpkin’s family was working together to clean up the mess that she accidentally made earlier. But even with all of them working together, it was still a big hassle; the pieces of the cake were everywhere!

Suddenly, the entrance door swung open and a young light-blue earth pony filly with a spiky yellow mane came trotting in. She had a cutiemark that was in the form of a peppermint leaf covered in frost. She was almost out of breath after she came inside and was welcomed by a bouncing pink mare.

“Hiya Minty, are you looking for Pumpkin?!”

“Yeah; I would have been here earlier,” she gasped for more air, “but I was held up a bit at home. I wanted to see how Pumpkin was doing after what happened today at school.”

“Don’t worry about her;” said Pound, “she’s upstairs right now meditating; keeping herself calm. I’m sure she’ll be down soon.”

Minty laid down on the ground contemplating over her unicorn friend and a certain other individual.

“You know, Pound, I just don’t understand why Ruby would do this sort a thing to Pumpkin. Before Pumpkin came to our school, Ruby and I were friends, but now our friendship grew apart when she suddenly started to harass Pumpkin. I thought what she was doing was wrong and I eventually befriended Pumpkin to help protect her. However, Ruby didn’t seem to care and dismissed me as her friend! It still bothers me sometimes.”

“Well you did the right thing Minty,” said Pinky, “that’s what really counts. But in the mean time while you wait, care to lend a helping hoof to us?”

Minty looked around and noticed the bits and pieces of cake encrusted all around the main room and almost stumbled over out of shock, “Whoa, I didn’t notice this at first; what happen here?”

“Yes, well about that,” Mrs. Cake said as she walked by, “let’s just say that… Pumpkin had a little… freak-out moment. We’re just lucky that she focused on the three-layered cake that we spent 4 hours to make… no big deal… just a bit of a shame is all.”

“Poor Pumpkin,” Minty thought, “I really hope she’s okay.”

Suddenly, everyone in the room got a complete shock when the rest of the cake mess was being magically lifted up and placed away in the garbage.

“Oh dear Celestia, what just happened,” said Mrs. Cake.

“That looked like… unicorn magic!” Minty exclaimed.

“Is that enough proof that I’m okay, Minty,” said a voice behind them.

They all turn around to see Pumpkin standing at the bottom of the stairs with a nice sunny smile.

“Hey Mom, Dad, what do you think of this?” She took the magic in her horn and used it to create an exact replica of the three-layered cake that she blew up. “I made sure to copy it down to the very last detail and ingediant; it’s like I didn’t blew up your first cake at all!”

Her parents came over and gave her a big hug thanking her for fixing up the problem.

“Oh, Pumpkin,” said Mrs. Cake, “What would your father and I do without you and your brother?”

“Pumpkin!” Minty shouted as she ran over to her gave her a big hug as well, “Oh thank goodness you’re alright!”

“Of course I’m alright Minty; I was just letting off some steam; that’s all.”

“Come on Pumpkin,” Minty continued, “You have an murderous side buried inside you; I’m sure you were doing more than just letting off some steam.”

“Ha ha, don’t be silly,” said Pumpkin laughing slightly awkwardly, “it’s not like I’m battling a completely different evil spirit being inside my head.”

They both started to laugh together constantly; you know, being friends. All Minty did care though that her friend was okay and at home and not on a rampage and back at the hospital ward.

“Aw, that so precious,” said Pinkie to Pound, “your sister and another filly being friends and laughing together at a funny joke.”

“Yeah,” said Pound while looking at Pumpkin suspiciously, “a joke.”

“Well now that I know that you’re okay,” stated Minty, “are you up for coming to the park with me?”

“Gee, I don’t know,” said Pumpkin in an amused tone, “aren’t you worried that I might go on a rampage?”

“Not in the least,” Minty amusingly answered back, “So come on, my friends are already waiting for us!”

Pumpkin became all excited then suddenly paused, “Oh, just a second.” She then faced her parents with pleading eyes, “Mom, Dad, could I go play with Minty and her friends?”

“Of course you can, Sweetheart,” Mr. Cake said with a sincere smile.

“Just make sure that you get back before dark,” Mrs. Cake added.

Pumpkin rolled her eyes and chuckled, “Yes mam, I will; don’t worry.”

Minty suddenly walked up to Pound and bopped him on the nose out of personal amusement, “Sorry Pound, we’d invite you but… fillies only.”

Pound gave her a pouty look and blushed “Yeah, yeah, knock it off.”

Both Pumpkin and Minty were giggling together as they ran out the door; smiling without a care in the world.

Pinkie came over to Pound and gave him a little pat on the head, “Oh well, better luck next time! Ooh, ooh, I have an idea! Maybe you could spy on them just for fun; just don’t get a dirty mind, okay?!”

However, Pound didn’t seem to be paying full attention to her as he was staring at his sister with unsure eyes as she went off with her friend.

“Um… Pound, are you okay?” asked Pinkie waving her hoof in front of the, “You seem to be zoning out a bit there.”

Pound suddenly snapped out of his spacing, “Huh, oh yeah, yeah, I’m okay; just thinking things.”

“If you’re worried about your sister, don’t worry about it, she can take care of herself!”

“Something about that fact is exactly what worries me,” said Pound feeling troubled, “I can’t help but think that there’s something she knows that I… I mean, we don’t.”

Pinkie suddenly gave Pound a big hug and kisses on the cheek that made him blush out of embarrassment and was pushing against her, “Pinkie! Come on, stop it!”

“Don’t be such a worry-pants Pound; you need to lighten up and look on the bright side of things and stop letting such matters hinder you from all the wondrous things in life… ooh, like cupcakes, smiles, and friendship, ooh and candy…”

Pinkie seemed to go on and on about her happy matters, but Pound soon turned around to his sister’s direction again; continuing to contemplate on what was on his mind.

“Are you hiding something from us, Pumpkin?”

-----

“Come on, Pumpkin,” shouted Minty as they were running through the streets towards the park, “I’ll race ya! Betcha can’t catch me!”

Pumpkin placed on a serious competitive face and smirked, “Oh yeah?” Her horn suddenly started to glow and she disappeared from behind Minty to in front of her; continuing to run on ahead, “Ha, in your face!”

“Hey, no using magic,” Minty shouted out while laughing.

Both fillies continue to run forward very fast; not looking at where they were going. Just then, Pumpkin accidentally crashed into a larger pony and she fell over. Her mind went off for a second as she yelled out…

“Hey, watch where you’re…”

She suddenly looked up in front of her only to be stared at by an older grayish unicorn mare that seemed to give her an un-amused look. Pumpkin quickly bowed her head at her and apologies.

“I’m sorry mam, I didn’t mean to yell at you like that; and I know it was my fault because I didn’t watch where I was going!”

Her friend Minty came to her aid trying to get the blame off of her, “No mam, it’s mine! I am the one who encouraged her.”

The grayish mare held up her hoof and gave a light smirk at Pumpkin and her friend, “It’s… quite alright dearies; just please watch where you are going next time; somepony could get seriously hurt.”

Pumpkin got up and smiled, “Don’t worry, we will.”

The two fillies then advanced forward; being a little more careful than they were before. Pumpkin looked over at the older mare and yelled out, “Oh, and again… I’m sorry!”

The older mare continued to look in Pumpkin’s direction. Her slight smile turned into an unpleasant frown as she straightened her oversized glasses from the impact against the young filly. She felt rather irritable being yelled at from her earlier; probably little after affects of being what she is.

“Trust me child, one day, you will be sorry.”

-----

“Now off-boarding in Ponyville,” yelled the conductor as the Pony Express rolled to a stop at the Ponyville train station. Many ponies got off, but mainly a family of Pegasi who was there for business; Cloudsdale business. They had a young colt that was about around the same age of the Cake twins. He was white with a wavy lime-green mane sporting a cutiemark of a skateboard riding on a star. He was very ecstatic to be in Ponyvile; it was one the few places in Equestria that he’s never seen before and for a small town, he thought it looked pretty epic. The family was on their way to Cloudsdale when they ran into a certain orange mare with a purple mane. The young colt looked at her cutiemark that was a pair of wings engulfed in fire and shouted out…

“Hey, nice cutiemark miss; it looks so cool!”

The orange mare turned around and smirked and began to flaunt, “Gee, thanks kid; getting this mark wasn’t easy! You have a cool one too by the way!”

He blushed out of embarrassment, “Yeah, thanks.”

“So, are you knew here?” the young mare asked, “If you are, you’re going to love it here!”

“Thanks,” the colt replied, “I’m excited enough already!”

The young mare waved at the family and properly greeted them, “Well, in any case, welcome to Cloudsdale; located above the town of Ponyville. The name is Scootaloo.” She looked down at the young colt and gave him a short noogie, “And what’s your name sport?”

“Acer,” the young colt said proudly, “my name is Acer, mam!”