• Published 24th Oct 2021
  • 1,461 Views, 18 Comments

The Wolf of Equestria - MrAquino

  • ...
16
 18
 1,461

Work

Another day, another paycheck from rounding up carts. That's what I always say to myself… next to "you're gonna get a new job soon.". Working at Walmart, doing the same job for over 7 years, makes you start wondering what's even the point. Car broke a year ago, so going anywhere without my roommates or family is near impossible, and I'm unsure about Lyft and Uber. But it was near 12, just getting back from lunch, to head back outside to an empty bay, since management, or "team leads" as they call themselves, don't send anyone outside. But I passed through our loading bay, where the store gets their supplies, hearing the beeps of forklifts backing up, chatter about the latest sport event, and some music blasting on a radio.

"Hey! You!" Oh, Team lead. They probably want to tell me the bay is empty. I turned around to face them. Never paid attention to them, since they only stay for a month.

"Yes?" I replied.

"The bay is empty, and we need you back outside immediately."

"Ok… care to tell me what's new?" They took a deep sigh. I love being a smartass with them. My sort of payback for being treated like crap.

"Just get outside."

"Can do." I turned around, getting back to what I was going to do. But… something was off. I can only guess, but during my short chat with the team lead, one of the forklift driver's phones rang… normally no one was allowed to be on their phones, let alone answer calls. But he did just that, went to answer it, but maybe they had butter fingers, because they dropped their phone. Instead of focusing on what's ahead, they reached down to pick up their phone. They drove not only faster, but veered off to the left, crashing into the shelves… the one that I stood by. I stopped as I heard a loud clang, followed by some stuff falling. Because of the sudden jump scare, I looked to the metal shelf and looked up. A huge box fell. I didn't even had time to react, or scream, only darkness.