• Published 31st Oct 2021
  • 1,030 Views, 5 Comments

A Lesson in Fear - KingdaKa



Twilight and Sunset are called upon to help host the CHS Halloween party.

  • ...
3
 5
 1,030

A Lesson in Fear

Life had given Pinkie Pie a great number of novel ‘firsts’ in her fairly short life, a veritable surplus of memories worth treasuring. It was a pleasant thing to be aware of, really; how lucky was she to have so many good memories to cling to when the world could be so mean and nasty? Sure, she’d had bad days, but they weren’t really worth remembering when compared to all the good things that had come her way. First friendships, first joys, first crushes- the list was too long for her to easily recall.

With all that in mind, this moment still might be one of the best yet.

“Really?” she asked, trying to hold down her excitement lest she had misheard. “You want me to set up the school Halloween party?”

Principal Celestia, poised in her usual place behind her desk, first gave answer in the form of a warm smile. “It’s been said more than once that the faculty’s attempts at making the school’s Halloween festival have been lackluster at best. After a discussion with Vice-Principal Luna, we’ve come to the conclusion that perhaps there would be better reception if it was a student-led event instead. We could hardly think of anyone more suitable to facing the task than you.”

So it wasn’t a dream! Pinkie wanted to bounce about the room and let her happiness bloom, but the limited space allowed little freedom to frolic- and perhaps it would be a bit too much considering present company. Even still, her excitement revealed itself in the form of a joyous squee and the happy young woman wriggled in her seat. “Ooh, thank you so much! It’ll be so much fun, I promise, I can hardly wait to get started! I’ll have to talk to the Cakes and start getting recipes together- and go to the party store, and maybe the crafts store, too! And- oh, I’m sorry, I got carried away, didn’t I?”

“I told you she’d be perfect.” Sitting beside the frizz-haired girl and sporting so smug a smirk was Sunset Shimmer, clearly having been in-the-know for the coming revelation that had Pinkie so elated. “Nobody else would be so excited about planning a school event than Pinkie Pie. It’ll be the best Halloween party you’ve ever been to, I promise.”

“You bet it will!” Pinkie declared. “It’ll be one of the bestest parties you’ll ever attend, I just know it! Oh gosh, should I make it super scary? Nah, that could be a bit mean to people, I know Fluttershy wouldn’t appreciate it. Maybe we should make it have a bunch of games and offer prizes!”

“Before you get yourself too invested in any particular idea, there’s a few things I just want to make sure you’re aware of,” Principal Celestia said, a hand raised to cool Pinkie’s growing fervor. “Please, have fun putting everything together, and you can come ask me about anything if you’re uncertain. But there is a budget you’ll have to adhere to, and just a few rules. Can you promise me that you’ll stick to them?”

Rules? It was restrictive, but Pinkie knew that Principal Celestia wasn’t going to be any sort of spoilsport if she could help it. “OK,” she answered, her voice now hesitant. “What… umm, what would I need to do?”

“Just a few simple things, I promise,” came the answer. “Nothing violent as part of the festival, so no slasher villains or anything like that. And every food item you have has to be marked for allergies with a sign. OK?”

“Oh, OK! That’s easy, I wouldn’t want anything to be too scary or get anybody hurt cause that’d be no fun!” Pinkie felt relieved; if that was the worst she would have to face in preparations, then this was to be a breeze. “Wait, is that it? Those are the rules?”

“And just be aware that any mess you make of school property will be something you have to clean up yourself,” Celestia added with a smirk. “I know you have a tendency to go all in on entertainment, Pinkie- and that enthusiasm is something I want you to use, I’ll be glad to see it! So don’t think I’m doubting your capability when I’ve asked Sunset to help you run things smoothly and make sure everything’s in order.”

“Wait, Sunset is going to be helping me?” And Principal Celestia had said that like it would be a problem. She turned to her friend and asked, “You’re really going to help me plan everything?”

Sunset shrugged. “More… like I’m going to just help you stay focused and on schedule, that’s all. It’s a lot of work and I didn’t think it’d be fair if you had to do it all alone- oof!

Pinkie took her friend in a backbreaking hug, her enthusiasm clearly undiminished. “Now it’s going to be even more fun cause I’ll be working with one of my bestest friends in the whole world!” she cried. “Can we get started right away, Principal Celestia? There’s going to be so much to do and- oh my gosh, do I need to get the decorations first or meet with the Cakes and start preparing recipes- or wait, we’ll need to give away prizes and set up secret games and everything-”

“I’m sure you and Sunset will do a fine job assembling everything,” Celestia said calmly, cutting through Pinkie’s growing ramblings before they got out of hand. “You have all month to get everything ready, and you are perfectly welcome to ask me for help if you need any assistance. Alright?”

“Thanks so much for letting me help, ma’am!” Pinkie said, leaping up from her seat and latching onto Sunset’s wrist. “Come on, we’ve got a lot to do and I wanna get started!”

Principal Celestia struggled not to laugh out loud as Sunset Shimmer was dragged away in the wake of Pinkie’s enthusiasm, the two girls disappearing out her office door and somewhere out of sight. Poor Sunset had her work cut out for her, trying to reign in Pinkie Pie’s excess gusto. But then again, who else would be more suited to the task? Sunset was patient and loved her friend dearly, and Pinkie’s heart was always in the right place when it came to the happiness of others. “This is going to be the best Halloween in years,” she murmured, turning to a dreaded pile of paperwork that demanded her attentions. “Hopefully they won’t burn down the whole building.”







She had originally intended to keep the news a secret, a timely announcement that would only come when Principal Celestia deemed it necessary. She didn’t want to make it seem like bragging, after all; Pinkie instead made sure to tell half the school in the span of about five minutes, wanting to celebrate this momentous opportunity as much as she could manage. Before she had even spoken to any of her friends beyond Sunset, the news had already reached their ears, and the sweethearted girl found herself greeted with congratulations the moment she sat down at their usual lunch table.

“Thanks, everybody,” she said, a slight flush of pink upon her cheeks as her friends’ good wishes were so willingly given. “I’ll do my best to make sure it’s a ton of fun, I promise.”

“I hardly would expect anything else, darling,” Rarity replied, the first of their company to extend her congratulations. “I’ve no doubt it will be the talk of the town for weeks after.”

“What’re you thinking about doing? You want me to go around the halls with a hockey mask on?” Rainbow inquired. Ever the Halloween prankster, the athletic girl’s face was alight with a devious but playful mischief.

“Principal Celestia forbade slasher villains,” Sunset said, smirking as Rainbow’s countenance promptly fell. “Boy, she guessed you good, didn’t she?”

“Don’t worry, Rainbow, I’ve got a few ideas of how you can help if you’d like,” Pinkie said. “Sunset and I will just have to talk it over and make sure Principal Celestia says it’s OK first.”

“I’m hoping you wouldn’t mind a lady’s touch with the décor,” Rarity offered.

“Like I’d say no! And Applejack, if you’d be able to help me with the snacks-”

“Don’t even have to ask,” Applejack swiftly said-

“So that’s two big things taken care of,” Sunset mused. “I don’t think Principal Celestia would object to either of those ideas, so we’ll think over the rest and see what we can do.”

“And we’ll be happy to help wherever you need us,” Fluttershy added. “I know you must be very excited, Pinkie, but please don’t try to do this all yourself and make yourself exhausted.”

“I won’t, I’ve got Sunset to help remind me!” The cheerful girl countered, “Oh, this is gonna be so much fun! And it’ll look really good for when we graduate and I can try to open my own event planning company, too- hmm…”

It had been her daydream for as long as any of them could recall; Pinkie’s hopes of providing such cheer for a living, and somehow even getting paid to do it. She’d had the good fortune of being able to throw parties for many of her friends, but a school-wide affair crafted by her hand was something special; a means to impress the outside eye with her skills.

The rest of their short time together was well-spent, a time to catch up before the frenetic chaos of school overtook them yet again. Their later periods saw them separate, one class to the other rather than together; it would not be until the final bell rang and dispersal came that they would find one another’s company. For Pinkie, it was all a blur, a mere shifting of the eye away from the coming dream of her next great adventure. She couldn’t have better friends to help her with its formation, either. All so willing to lend a hand and help see her dreams come true! What more could she ask for? A gofer, maybe, but-

“Wait, hold on!” Pinkie screeched to a halt in her walk with Applejack to Physics class before promptly reverting course, charging down the hall and grasping out at the arm of a young girl with spectacles-

Waah!” Twilight Sparkle, unsuspecting focus of the partygirl’s attention, leapt into the air and was left electrified, hairs on end and eyes wide as saucers from the sudden contact. “What in- oh my gosh, Pinkie Pie!”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to be so scary! Do you wanna help me plan the party?”

“It’s alright, I guess, I just didn’t expect you to come up so suddenly a- wait, what did you say?” Twilight paused in soothing her frayed nerves to ensure she hadn’t misheard, staring at her friend with no small measure of confusion.

Pinkie took a small breath; Twilight wasn’t exactly the most confident of people, and hardly had any more assertiveness than Fluttershy. Convincing her that she would actually be of help might be something of a challenge, now that she thought about it. But she certainly wanted to try- Twilight could be just as much of a help as any of her friends. “I just sorta realized that Sunset and I will both be super-duper busy making sure everything gets done,” she began, “and there might be small little things that we’ll need help with, so I hoped you’d be able to help me and Sunset out in places- and the other girls, too, in case they need an extra hand! Pretty please would you do it?”

Twilight’s eyes spoke to understanding, but her expression remained one of befuddlement. “You- you want me to help you?”

“Of course, silly!” Pinkie giggled. “You’re my friend and I know you’d be so much help for me and Sunset. I’d appreciate it a whole bunch!”

Twilight had to mull the thought over, a weak-willed sigh escaping her lips in the hint of her answer. “I mean… if you’re sure..."

“Oh thanks so much, Twilight!” Pinkie said, throwing her arms about her friend in a fierce hug. “We’re gonna have so much fun, I promise. And don’t you worry, you’ll do a great job!” As swiftly as she had arrived, Pinkie was gone, darting off towards where duty obligated her and unable to hear the last lingering sigh that followed after her.







I knew it. Sunset didn’t even blink when she saw Twilight being dragged behind Pinkie by the wrist, barely able to stay on her feet against her frenetic companion’s rapid pace. The newest member of their circle of friends, Twilight had unexpectedly found a fan in Pinkie Pie for reasons she couldn’t have guessed. It wasn’t like she’d ever really met her doppelgänger; Pinkie, however, had greeted Twilight like an old friend- and promptly was met with the fact that this world’s rendition of the young woman was not even made of the same mold. Where there had been the regality and confidence of someone with royal bearing, Twilight was uncertain and anxious about encounters, preferring to be a shut-in and away from prying eyes. Yet that sort of thing wasn’t exactly something that would stop a personality so gregarious as Pinkie Pie, would it?

“Hey, Sunset! Twilight said she’d help us with preparing everything in case we needed an extra hand or one of the girls did, isn’t that great?” Pinkie said in a rush, bobbing up and down on the balls of her feet as she spoke. “So just in case we’re busy and we need Principal Celestia’s help she can go get her for us or maybe we’ll just need someone to think of something you and I wouldn’t think of or one of the girls get hurt or sick and-”

“I think I get the concept,” Sunset said, turning to give Twilight a smile. “Thanks for the offer, Twi. Honestly, we’ll take all the help we can get.”

In return came a nervous grin. “I’ll try not to get in the way, or anything,” Twilight murmured.

“I know you’ll be nothing but helpful!” Pinkie countered, not willing to hear a word of self-deprecation. “We’re going to need someone giving out announcements throughout the party, and another judge for the costume contest! Rarity agreed to help lead that but it’d be nice if we had another person there with her.”

“But I don’t know anything about costumes like she does,” Twilight protested. “I just- she designs her own clothing, who else here does that?”

“You don’t have to be fashion designer to like a costume. It’s just an opinion,” Sunset remarked. “And you’ll be a good foil for Rarity, since she’ll probably want to get super detailed about it like she does with anything fashion.” Sunset’s voice was calm, an attempt at mimicking Celestia’s tranquil tone that seemed to soothe fretting spirits so easily. It was easy for her to understand Twilight’s plight, having once been caught in a similar trap herself. The only difference was she’d progressed a little further along.

“Well, I- I guess,” Twilight said. “But that’s on Halloween night, that’s a ways away…”

“We’ll still have a lot to do until then!” Pinkie said. “We’ve got decorations to hang up, games and prizes to put together, music playlists- Fluttershy even is going to ask the animal shelter she volunteers at if they’ll drop in!”

Twilight was left puzzled. “What for?”

“Black cat adoptions,” Sunset answered. “She’s always bemoaning that people are scared of them for bad luck or something, so having a few here and able to be adopted could be a possibility.”

“But right now, we’ve got decorations to make,” Pinkie declared, again taking Twilight by the hand and preparing to race off towards a new destination. “Let’s make this place spooky!”

Sunset’s next reaction was both laughter and exasperation, amazed poor Twilight was able to even keep up- or that Pinkie’s infectious exuberance hadn’t taken hold of her as well. Pinkie was so intent on helping the poor girl come out of her shell and bloom, whether the uncertain bookworm felt capable or not. It was such a continuous act of affection that Sunset found herself wondering a few times if the partygirl had some manner of a crush she couldn’t help but act upon; she certainly seemed to be Twilight’s biggest supporter.

By week’s end, the school was more festive than any of the student body had yet seen, decorations hung high and low with a skillful placement that spoke to dedication and time. With a visit to a local party store and even a few handmade goods added to the number, across the halls and classrooms were the familiar sights of things that went bump in the night, sneering visages of toothy grins that spoke to devilish mischief. To Sunset’s surprise –and Pinkie’s delight- the idea of individual sections of school having their own theme had come from Twilight’s mind, giving each realm of the aged building its own flavor.

“If we’re going to have different sections of the school open,” Pinkie said, the group of wearied women taking pause in an empty classroom, “maybe we should have different events going on in each.”

“And a different host for each as well,” Sunset added. “Let the haunted castle be where Applejack’s serving food, and she’ll be able to oversee the bake sale, too.”

“Rainbow Dash will positively beg for the dungeon, you know,” Rarity remarked, reclining on a nearby desk and surveying their craftsmanship with a glow of pride. “I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing that Principal Celestia approved the labyrinth maze, Rainbow will definitely try and take it too far.”

“I’ll make her promise not to put a hand on anyone,” Sunset assured her. “Or do anything that would get Pinkie Pie in trouble.”

“She wouldn’t go that far, would she?” Twilight asked. Remaining silent through much of the conversation, she had watched the dialogue between her three friends run freely as she did little else but listen. “I mean… how into Halloween does Rainbow get?”

“Oh gosh, I forgot this is your first Halloween here with us, right,” Sunset remarked. “Yeah, Rainbow loves scares and pranks when it comes to the holiday. Like mad, she’s relentless.”

“Yeah, but she hasn’t done anything crazy to anyone yet. Maybe she’s decided to calm it down a bit this time around,” Pinkie suggested.

“I won’t let her. Do you think she wants to deal with me when I’m mad?”

Rarity chuckled. “I cannot decide whether you or Applejack is the bigger den mother of our little group,” she remarked lightly.

“I am not a mom,” Sunset fired back. “I’m either the hot one- or the brains.”

“Please, dear Twilight is the brains,” Rarity countered, gesturing towards a fiercely blushing Twilight. “That was never even in question. And we all know I’m the ‘hot one,’ as you so crudely put it.”

“Look,” Twilight said shakily, pulling at the zipper on her backpack, “I’m just- you know I’m not really-”

“Don’t even try to say it, Twilight!” Pinkie cut through, her voice unusually fiery for one so cheerful. “You’re super-duper-smart and we all know so! And you’re really nice about it too, cause you help everybody with their homework whenever we ask you.”

“But I’m-”

“Take the compliment, Twilight,” Sunset counseled, voice ironshod.

Twilight’s countenance continued to fall, but her face remained flush and silence struck her lips. Pinkie studied her mixture of reactions intently as though trying to decipher the emotional cacophony that welled within her. She wasn’t quite Fluttershy’s level of fearful, but she certainly wasn’t Rainbow’s echelon of ego. And despite all her efforts, Pinkie still couldn’t quite figure out what it ­was that was bothering her-

A small, sudden burst of smug laughter. “Told you you’re the mom.”







Despite the great number of helping hands that came and attended to each task, all of Principal’s Celestia’s guidance, and the combined talents of both Pinkie and Sunset, the evening before Halloween saw the lights of the school remain alight and burning for wearied eyes to see. Though the vast majority of decorations had been assembled, confections created, there was still work that demanded their attentions well before the sun rose: festival booths needed assembly, the labyrinth required creation, technical items such as microphones and speakers needed to be well-hidden and prepared for use- and that was only what they could accomplish this evening.

“Fluttershy said the rescue shelter would arrive about 5 tomorrow,” Sunset said as she pored over her checklist. “Applejack will swing by with Granny and Apple Bloom a bit after and they’ll need access to the kitchens…”

“Did Principal Celestia say she locked up all the prizes, too?” Twilight asked.

“All the booth prizes, and the costume contest, the horror trivia, and -ooh- the raffle contests,” Sunset replied. “I swear she bought that guitar with her own money, there’s no way that was part of the school’s budget for this.”

“I’ll call Rainbow Dash in the morning, too,” Pinkie added. “Rarity will be doing her makeup for the haunted maze and you know Rainbow’s super squirmy about that sort of thing.”

“OK… is there anything I’m not thinking of?” Sunset asked aloud, face drooping from the exhaustion of a long day. “Is every station covered, something I’m forgetting? Pinkie’s got announcement covered, I’ll be checking up on everybody once we get started…”

“Nothing that- thatcomestomind- excuse me,” Twilight’s yawning drone turning her words into a blur. “I can’t think of anything, sorry.”

“And if Twilight can’t think of something we’ve missed, we must be good!” Pinkie’s eye held black circles around their form, but the warmth of her smile had yet to fade throughout the month-long ordeal. She had been nothing but encouraging to all of them, thankful for even the smallest amount of help given- and intent on making sure Twilight knew just how appreciated all of her efforts had been. “We couldn’t have done it without you, Twilight,” she said, coming over and giving her friend a hug.

Twilight made sure to avert her gaze. “But I didn’t do much of anything. You and Sunset were the ones making all of the decisions.”

“Yeah, but the different-themed sections was a super-neat idea! And we would’ve taken way longer if you hadn’t been here to help us, and that’s been a big help!”

Twilight still appeared ready to squirm, eager to be anywhere but where her friend’s arms and praises could reach her. “I’m… I’m gonna go home, I’m exhausted. Sorry…”

“Don’t be, we’ve got a long day tomorrow,” Pinkie said, “I know we’ll be kinda busy behind-the-scenes and everything, but we’ll have to take a minute to enjoy the party ourselves. Did we make it a little too fun if we have to dive in ourselves?”

“It’s called reveling in your craft,” Sunset remarked. “In full costume, I’m guessing?”

“Well duh! It’s Halloween, silly!” Pinkie beamed. “Twilight, what’re you coming as?”

“Huh? Oh, I was just…” the spectacled girl paused. “I didn’t really want a bunch of attention…”

“But it’s to have fun! Come on, I’ll pick you up and I’ll let you try on one of my extra costumes, how about that? Please? Please?

Pinkie’s eager, almost desperate face was hard to resist; a small glance in Sunset’s direction came from Twilight’s uncertain gaze- and a nod paired with a smile was given in return. “I… I guess so.”

A squeal of joy from Pinkie and away she bounced towards her car. “ThankssomuchTwilightseeyoutomorrow!” she cried, soon out of sight and off towards home.

As the two remaining said their goodbyes, Sunset forced herself to control her laughter until Twilight was out of earshot. Had Pinkie Pie been aiming for that exact moment ever since she’d asked Twilight to help out? And if that was the case- wait, had Sunset just helped play matchmaker? “Clever girl,” the young woman murmured.

It didn’t surprise her that she was the first to arrive; Pinkie had enthusiasm, but punctuality wasn’t her strong suit in the slightest. Probably why she’s always running everywhere, Sunset thought to herself as she walked up the steps towards the school doors. A sudden stoppage of her left foot and she threw her arms out to brace her fall against cold stone; the long hem of her costume had snuck beneath her ‘glass’ slipper and tried to send her to earth. Curse this stupid dress, and curse yourself! You just had to prove to Rarity that you’re the hot one, didn’t you?

Principal Celestia was the first soul she saw, festively adorned in a witch’s costume with a matching black hat; the warm-spirited woman gave a small look of surprise at the sole guest upon her steps. “Pinkie isn’t here yet?”

“She’ll be here in about fifteen minutes, if I had to guess,” Sunset sighed. “It’d be five if it was just her, but she’s trying to get Twilight into the spirit of things.”

“You know them that well, I see.”

Sunset gave a snort of laughter. “I think she has a crush on Twilight, actually.”

Celestia could only bring mirth in turn. “Poor Twilight wouldn’t know what hit her.”

“That’s a mild way of putting it… there they are.” Racing around the corner in a beat-up pickup were Pinkie and Twilight, rushing into the parking lot and dashing out of the vehicle- or more accurately, Pinkie Pie running along with a harried Twilight in tow; the two were a classically dressed pair of appearances, Pinkie in the vibrant colors of a traveling fortune-teller while Twilight was coated in the dark colors of a sorceress’ gown. “You’re pushing it a bit, aren’t you?”

“Sorry, it’s my fault! I couldn’t find my tambourine, I’d put it in my clothes hamper,” Pinkie gasped, a surprise appearance with a heaving chest as she tried to compose herself into the usual form of ecstasy. “Sorry, Principal Celestia! Thanks for keeping all the prizes in your office.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Celestia said, unable to keep her smile away at the sight of Pinkie holding to Twilight’s hand unashamedly. “You girls ready to get started? Are the others going to be here soon?”

“In just a few minutes, I think.”

“Excellent. Then let’s get this party started.”

The world came by them in a rush for quite a while, so many last-minute activities demanding their focus that it was something of a relief when guests finally began to arrive; at last, all that would be required of them was upkeep, not an ounce of preparation or correction or creation necessary. The mere fact that now not everything would be up to them alone was a weight from their shoulders, each section of the school attended to by a differing individual and allowing the three girls to catch a breath, even if only momentarily. Rainbow Dash, her face carefully hidden behind a shrouded mask, skulked away to the haunted labyrinth; a sultry, vampiric Rarity took effortless command of the gymnasium that would see host to the costume and trivia contests; a straw-stuffed Applejack and Granny Smith commandeered both kitchen and culinary booths, the scintillating scents that wafted before them tantalizing to the senses; sweet Fluttershy, the only of their number to forgo a costume, was comfortably dressed in a sweatshirt bearing the emblem of a cat- and her arms full of a vibrant, meowing void.

“Hey, where’ve you been?” Twilight stood at the threshold of the school as she caught sight of Pinkie Pie wandering down the hall towards her, the two kept apart by a meandering crowd of people. “Everything alright?”

“Yep! Just checking in on Rainbow Dash and making sure she’s OK. She’s made a lot of the football team scream really bad already,” Pinkie said. “Where’s Sunset?”

“Doing the same as you, I think. Applejack asked her to make sure Granny Smith was alright.”

“Oh, OK.” The two girls paused and let their eyes soak in the great cacophony that flowed both within and without the school walls, a moving sea of faces and costumes and sounds that seemed far too large for it to actually be real. “Wow, that’s… there’s a lot of people here.”

“I’ve been seeing some families stop in, too,” Twilight remarked, gesturing to a cross-eyed young blonde walking alongside her parents, a young child in hand and clearly the focus of their night. “I guess everyone wants to see what the commotion’s all about.”

Pinkie could only swell with happiness, letting herself be momentarily lost in the great song that was people’s merriment; the rescue shelter’s menagerie of cats were being dutifully worshipped, Applejack could hardly keep her table of snacks stocked, and everywhere the eye could see there was the sight of laughter and life. It was her biggest success ever, and that was more than just numbers; for the ever-happy partygirl, the fact that this many people were here and happy was like a priceless treasure.

“You did… an amazing job,” Twilight said, a small tinge of laughter in her voice as she shook her head. “I’m so happy for you, Pinkie. Really, this is incredible.”

“Aw, thanks so much!” Pinkie replied, eagerly taking her friend into an embrace. “We couldn’t have got it done without all your help, too! Just look at that-”

“Pinkie, come on. Be honest for a little bit, I didn’t do much of anything,” Twilight’s word came swiftly, that small smile she held now disappearing. “It was all you and Sunset, I just went along with it and did what you told me to.”

“And helped make up a bunch of neat ideas for different themes for the school!” Pinkie persisted. “And you were always there every time we asked for you to help, and you never even complained-”

“Stop. Just- stop, OK?” Twilight threw her hand to the air in the hopes of waving in silence, her countenance low and fearful to match her ragged voice. “I didn’t… do anything, I didn’t do anything I wasn’t supposed to. Just stop trying to make me seem important when I’m not, OK?”

Even Pinkie’s ever-pleasant persistence could tell there had been a transgression, but of what kind she couldn’t tell. “Twilight, I didn’t mean to-”

“I’m sorry. I- oh, darn it all! Forget what I said!” Twilight strode away with a hurry, trying to be anywhere but beside her encouraging friend and well away from prying eyes.

It was too much of a shock for Pinkie to react at all, much less even know how to. She hadn’t been trying to make fun of Twilight, not at all! She’d meant every word, did Twilight think she’d been lying? Was she being awkward or something and just hadn’t been able to tell? The thought that Twilight might consider her to be embarrassing wasn’t a happy one, just as bad as what had just seemingly transpired. She had only wanted to be kind; what had she done wrong instead?

It took a fair bit of self-convincing for Pinkie to finally decide that she needed to find help, enough self-awareness that being the cause of Twilight’s sudden distress meant she could not be the one to fix it. It wasn’t as though she didn’t have any of her closest friends nearby, but they all had their hands full with guests and their own duties; there was only one she could really turn to.

“Pink- hey, what’s the matter?” Sunset’s form appearing from the gymnasium was a welcome relief, the bright-eyed girl coming over to her friend’s side when she caught sight of Pinkie’s anxious visage. “Did something happen, is everything OK?”

“Have you seen Twilight anywhere?” Pinkie asked. “She ran off somewhere and she was- I think I did something wrong…”

“OK…” Sunset let her clipboard hang at her side, she pulling Pinkie away from the doors and into the shadows where sight not sound of them would be easily found. “What do you think you did wrong?”

It didn’t take much time for the story to be told, but Pinkie’s own distress continued to grow the more the told it. She felt a weighted stone in her stomach, guilt gnawing away at her insides for a reason she didn’t even know of. Her hair was even beginning to sag as she spoke.

“Well, I doubt she went home,” Sunset surmised, “after all, she rode here with you and her house is kinda far away. She’ll still be here somewhere.”

“Will you help me find her?” Pinkie asked. “I need to tell her I’m sorry, but I don’t know if she’ll let me say it to her.”

“Of course I’ll come with you. Don’t worry, Pinkie, I promise you didn’t do anything wrong.” Sunset’s smile was melancholy, but sympathetic all the same.

“But I made her get all upset-!”

“You’re not the one she’s upset with. I think I know what Twilight’s worried about.” Sunset began walking out from the gym where Rarity’s fashionable tastes ruled on high, gesturing for her dispirited friend to join her. “Come on, it’ll be OK.”

Pinkie wasn’t quite sure she could believe that yet, but trailed along after Sunset all the same. The crowd was an excellent place for anyone to hide, that great sea of faces and costumes enough to hide anyone who did not wish to be found. Even when a recognizable form passed their way and brought recognition to their senses, still not yet did their elusive prize appear. Diamond Tiara and Trixie were ensnared by the charms of a golden-eyed feline, Apple Bloom and her friends were happily gabbling away with Applejack, the sound of screams and eerie music pervaded across their heads as they looked this way and that. Vice-Principal Luna was chastising a young couple for something they couldn’t fathom, and her sister was walking through the main entrance with a young girl in black beside her-

“There she is,” Sunset murmured, “Principal Celestia’s with her, I think.”

Pinkie gave a gasp, her heart sinking. Twilight had gone to Principal Celestia to complain about her, maybe even to make sure that Pinkie could never talk to her again-

“Don’t be all doom and gloom, It’ll be OK,” Sunset added, taking note of her friend’s nerves. “I promise, it’s not what you think.”

Through the main doors and down the corner was where the two searchers found them, Twilight held in place by Principal Celestia’s hands on her shoulders and clearly trying not to panic over something. Celestia was bent low and speaking softly to her in words they couldn’t quite hear, trying to stem the tide.

“Twilight, I was looking for you!” Sunset called, her stride slowing as she came closer. “Did you forget that you were going to help Rarity judge the costume contest? She’s had to start already.”

“I think Miss Sparkle might need to take a moment to relax before joining in, I’m afraid,” Principal Celestia said mildly, her voice just audible over the young girl’s gasps for air. “Just a bit too much excitement.”

“It’s- it’s OK,” Twilight said, her words light and breathy as a wild light danced in her eyes. “I promised- I need to- to…”

“Hmm… I dunno, Twilight, I think Principal Celestia’s right,” Sunset replied. “You know a judge has to be all calm and poised. You’re about to pass out- so relax for a minute! You’re alright, you’re alright…”

As the two women tried to soothe the poor bookworm’s nerves, Pinkie hung back and tried to not let each panicked breath that she heard wound her spirit further. She hadn’t meant to, but she had caused this. She’d caused this…

“Pinkie!” Twilight caught sight of her forlorn friend and tried to gain her composure once more. “I’m so sorry, I know what I said was mean.”

What? “But that- but I’m the one that made you upset in the first place!” Pinkie protested, now left more confused than ever. “I’m the one that should be… I just wanted you to be happy, too.”

“I know you did,” Sunset said softly, a hand gently laid upon her friend’s shoulders. “Because there’s not a mean bone in your body, and Twilight knows it, too.”

“I should- I don’t want to keep Rarity waiting,” Twilight said; her discomfort was clear, desperate to be away from this scrutiny that meant her well.

“She’ll be fine on her own, even if the contestants won’t,” Sunset countered smoothly. “Why don’t we… go and talk this out? Yes, Twilight, I know what’s bothering you,” she added as the spectacled girl’s eyes went wide, “Of course I know what you’re feeling. So let it out; you’ll feel better.”

Twilight stayed silent, eyes flickering this way and that as she tried to find a way out from this cornering.

“I have the keys to my office, if you’d appreciate some privacy,” Celestia said. “And we can take all the time you need.”

A glance towards the main doors, her nearest point of escape; a quick flash across each of her companions. After a time, Twilight finally managed to give a small nod of assent.

“Alright, then.”

The poor girl’s discomfort never left her, even as the moment of confession and relief inched closer. Twilight’s shoulders sagged, her countenance darkened and gaze avoided from the kind eyes of those about her. It was more than embarrassment, but instead a shame that seemed to have grasped her so fiercely; there was guilt even for the need of confession entirely.

“Now, here we are,” Celestia said, dragging out her chair from behind the desk and seating herself beside an ashamed Twilight. “Take a moment to get your thoughts sorted. There’s no teacher-student formality here; we all just want you to be OK.”

“It’s stupid,” Twilight mumbled. “You don’t have to deal with this.”

“I don’t. But I’m your friend, so I want to deal with what’s bothering you,” Sunset countered. “So why don’t you let me? I know Pinkie Pie certainly wants to.”

Another guilty look in her direction and Pinkie squirmed at the sight of it; she had only meant for Twilight to feel happy and enjoy the night, not cause a breakdown.

“I’m…” Twilight’s eyes were watery, threatening to spill over and cast aside her remaining composure. “I’m not a good person.”

What??” Pinkie was left aghast by this most unexpected proclamation. Even the thought of it was- “But why? You’re always so smart and nice to everybody! Why would you say you’re not a good person?”

“But I’m not,” Twilight protested, looking more dejected with each word she spoke. “I’m- I know I haven’t been here long, but back at Crystal Prep… nobody really liked me. And then the Games, and I turned into- her.” Hunched over in her seat, a single tear at last fell from her eyes as she tried to squeeze them away. “And I still think she’s there. Deep down inside. And I don’t really know that I could stop her if she ever came back. So maybe everyone was right to not like me.”

“But I don’t- But why can’t we be nice to you?” Pinkie inquired, just as confused as she’d been from the start. “Just because those meanies at your old school didn’t like you doesn’t mean we can’t. You’re still smart and super nice to me, and all of your friends!”

“Because she thinks she’s feeding a beast.” Sunset’s voice turned solemn and soft, her vision clouded by memory and pain that so perfectly met the sorrow within Twilight’s own eyes. “That if she starts to believe any good thing people say about her, then she’ll give a monster the chance it needs to get out and take control. So she can’t receive praise, can’t let others be kind, and has to beat herself down every chance she gets.”

Twilight seemed to shrivel at the remark, but did give a nod as Sunset’s words rang true. “Maybe she’s what I really am,” she said, “like, beneath all of this. But I don’t want to feel like that again, or be that again. So if I just… you know…”

“Have you ever considered, Twilight,” Celestia interjected, “that what you are doing is exactly what she wants?”

“Huh?”

“Who benefits from keeping you beaten down?” the elder woman asked. “Who needs you unhappy and miserable, believing that you’re a bad person at heart? We certainly don’t. You don’t. So there’s only one thing in the world that needs you kept in despair- and every time she tells you that you’re just a wrong person, she’s trying all the harder to come alive again. Because if she can make you believe that she is all you’re meant to be… then she wins.”

For all her intelligence, the thought had seemingly never entered the fretful girl’s mind. Twilight opened her mouth to speak and promptly closed up once more, a staccato rhythm of uncertainty as she tried to summon her speech.

“She’s- not wrong, Twilight,” Sunset said. “I mean, I know that it doesn’t sound right to you just yet, but it’s just, well, the truth. Why believe that sort of thing when it doesn’t help you at all? It doesn’t make you better.”

“But what if I’m just… you know, fooling everyone? Even myself?” Twilight asked, still keen on finding a reason to panic. “What if everything I’m doing to make people think these nice things about me is just a lie and I don’t even know it?”

“From someone who really was a bad person? You know, wasn’t abused and manipulated by an entire school system? You’re not fooling anyone,” came the swift reply, Sunset’s wry smile a perfect partner to her words. “Applejack wouldn’t lie to your face, Pinkie Pie wouldn’t think you’re nice, none of us would be your friend if you were really just pretending. So stop worrying about it.”

“That’s- that’s not fair.”

“I didn’t say it would be easy,” Sunset said. “But you’re just going to trip yourself up over and over again. Stop trying to not be a bad person and just be.”

How?

“By letting yourself relax, for starters,” Celestia answered sweetly. “You are a very kind person, Twilight, but you are also the most neurotic young woman I’ve ever met. Stop trying to think about all the what-if’s and things that could possibly go wrong and just try to do the right thing. You’ll be much happier that way.”

“And… if I screw up?” Twilight asked in a voice so quiet.

“You will, in time. But you can always do the next right thing.”

Twilight’s expression suggested she was not entirely convinced, not yet able to fully believe in the trust and affection of those around her- nor the words of wisdom with which they had graced her. But for a time, the worst of her fears had been pushed back and cast into shadow, an emptiness in her mind where reason and good feeling could take hold instead. “I guess I’ll… try, I guess,” she said.

“And that’s how it starts,” Celestia remarked. “If you’d like my advice, I would suggest that the next right thing you do would be to enjoy the festival. The night is still young, after all.”

“Oh, uh- OK.” Twilight turned to Sunset at first, but instead let her gaze settle on the quiet form of Pinkie Pie. “Would you like to come with me? I mean, it’s your party, really, and- you seem to have the most fun at these kind of things.”

“Me?” Pinkie could hardly believe it. She thought she’d been the progenitor of a mess, the one upon whom all blame would be given. Yet Twilight wanted to go back to the party, and with her as company! “Of course I would, we’ll have so much fun! Come on, let’s go visit Fluttershy and her ca- oh wait, we’ve… we’ve gotta keep in charge of the party, don’t we?”

Sunset sighed, shaking her head. “I’ll cover down for a little while, if I must,” she said at last, though a smile suggested her supposed reluctance was little more than a charade. “Go on. I’ll join you in a bit if I can.”

“Are you- thanks a bunch,” Pinkie said, alight with excitement and eager to begin. A hand wrapped about Twilight’s wrist and the two were off, away from the office and down the hall to where the holiday lay waiting for them.

Hold on, just in case- “Pinkie?”

“Yeah?” With a speed that was inexplicable, Pinkie darted away from Twilight’s side and back before Sunset, eagerly awaiting her words.

“Just for tonight… don’t make any moves,” Sunset advised, struggling to hold back laughter as she saw a red flush come to her oft-shameless friend’s face. “Just for tonight. It’d be a bit mean when she’s been upset.”

Pinkie’s grin was sheepish, an event so rare upon her face that Sunset couldn’t conceive of a time she had ever borne witness to the sight. “I- I’ll ask her tomorrow,” she conceded. “Come and hang out with us later!” And without another word she was gone, back by Twilight’s side and dashing away to where a new adventure awaited them, eagerly awaited and graced by a smile of Twilight’s very own; uncertain, timid, but growing all the more with each passing moment.

Author's Note:

I think I found a cure to my writer's block: when you don't like the story you're writing, ditch it and try a new one.

Sorry I've been absent for so long. I've been fighting the beast for more months than I'd wish. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into a rhythm again, and start doing some updates to a few dormant stories that need it.

Enjoy, I guess. Happy Halloween, and shout-out to all those who will downvote without reading.

Comments ( 5 )

Surprisingly good read. Possibly a little too technical, but I think that makes it a good example of making the romance a part of the story rather than just a straight romance story. Deserves more like and comments.

11035272
I had to knock some serious dust off to write this, since I hadn't written anything in a good long time. It shows a little, I think, but it helped me get back on track.

11035321
No problem, I was just dealing with the same. Halloween deserves the love though, so a little assist only adds appeal.

Very nicely-done. I have so been Twilight it makes me wanna... help her. Maybe not hug her. Might be a bit too much for her.

I like that Pinkie's crush is apparent yet subtle in that it focuses more on the aspects Pinkie actually likes about Twilight instead of her being all like 'I really like Twilight and no, I won't give any indications of why I do.' Makes it feel more natural and cute. Great work!

Login or register to comment