• Published 18th Oct 2021
  • 827 Views, 108 Comments

There's a Monster Pony Outside My Window - Halira



The Portsmith family is a regular American family living in Denver in 1986. Life is hard, but it is about to get harder when they find themselves hunted by something that is not of this Earth.

  • ...
6
 108
 827

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Vomit and Screaming

Andrea had found herself in many weird situations in her short life; a significant number of those had come in the last few days. That total was once again being added to.

They were all in the car, and Charlotte was sitting on Andrea's lap while Kristin was pressed up against her as closely as she could go. This was twice now in as many hours that her sisters had been this close to her with no hair pulling or blows being exchanged. Their parents should have been thrilled at this good behavior, but Andrea wasn't sure if they were even paying attention.

However, her and her sisters' good behavior and uncommon closeness were not what made the situation weird. What was strange was they were in the car with their dad speeding like crazy—over Miss Newman's objections. At the same time, Miss Newman was in the process of stripping off her clothes in the backseat—over her parents' objections. Andrea knew speeding was illegal, and she was pretty sure stripping in the backseat of a car in front of a bunch of kids was too. Which was worse, she wasn't sure. She just knew it was all bad.

What was definitely worse was the fact that the monster pony was following them, and a bunch of bad guys in a van were probably not far behind.

"Stop taking your clothes off in front of my daughters, you pervert!" their mom screamed.

"Forgive me if trying to save your asses offends your human sensibilities!" Miss Newman screamed back. "And slow down! Do you want to get the popos involved in this too!"

"Who refers to the police as popos?" their dad asked. Their dad said weird things when he was afraid. At least he wasn't making bad dad jokes.

"Just slow the damn car down!" Miss Newman hollered back. "You're going to get us pulled over, and it is also going to make what I'm trying to do that much harder."

"What are you trying to do?" their dad asked. The car did seem to slow down some.

"I already told you. I'm going to ground that mare. I doubt I can kill her, but I can seriously injure her and keep her out of the air for the rest of this week."

Charlotte suddenly gasped and pointed. "Look, Mommy! The old lady pony has a spot just like mine!"

Andrea felt a wave of relief. She didn't have to keep it secret; Charlotte had just blabbed it out.

"Adults are talking, Charlotte; please be quiet for a few minutes," their mom replied.

What??! She wasn't even going to pay attention to what Charlotte said? It wasn't fair! Andrea already knew that her baby sister would forget to bring it up again. Out of sight and out of mind was kind of the rule with anything other than toys and cartoons with Charlotte.

Miss Newman apparently wasn't taking the chance since she hurriedly took the necklace off before finishing taking the rest of her clothes off, leaving her tangled in them.

The unicorn struggled with both the bra now loosely wrapped around her middle while trying to untangle her back legs from her panties. "Ack! Bras are the devil's torture devices! Get off, you infernal thing!"

"Well, at least you didn't finish stripping in front of my girls!" their mom jeered.

Miss Newman's face suddenly took on a green hue. How that was possible when she was covered with fur, Andrea didn't know. The pony stopped struggling with her undergarments and puked all over the seat.

"Ewww!" all three girls said in chorus.

"The old lady pony is sick, Mommy!" Charlotte exclaimed, recoiling even closer to Andrea. Even Kristin tried to jump into Andrea's lap.

"You didn't say you were sick. Are you going to make my girls sick? Are they going to turn into ponies?! You said it happened because of a virus!" their dad yelled, and the car swerved slightly.

"N-no...its—" Miss Newman vomited up even more disgusting bile on the seat. "I was eating...meat."

"Why would you do that if it was going to make you sick??" their dad demanded.

Miss Newman panted and wiped her mouth with the back of her leg. "I thought I was going to be in human form much longer. Give me a minute. I'll be okay."

"It smells bad, and it's in my seat!!" Kristin exclaimed.

Miss Newman sniffed and cringed. "Definitely smells awful. I need a bath, but we're all just going to have to accept the smell for a while."

"I don't want to sit in that seat anymore!" Kristin continued to protest.

"SHUT UP WITH YOUR WHINING, AMI!" the pony shouted as she flattened her ears against her head.

"Don't raise your voice at my daughter!" their mother yelled.

Kristin cowered against Andrea, whimpering. "My name isn't Ami."

"Is that like a pony cuss word?" Andrea got the bravery to ask; it would be cool to learn a pony cuss word.

Andrea wasn't sure how she could tell, but Miss Newman's body shifted from angry to embarrassed. "No, it's not. It's...just be quiet for right now, please."

"Are you going to do something about that pony or not?" their dad demanded.

"Yes, I am. I don't need to rush. She isn't doing anything other than watching us right now. I need time and focus to do what I'm going to do, and it will leave me winded. On the plus side, I don't need to worry about hiding anything. She won't know what hit her, and it isn't going to cause any flashes or anything to draw attention. It's probably best to put some distance between us and the rest stop before I nail her anyway—fewer people to see a pony falling out of the sky, which would cause us almost as much trouble as it causes them. Let me finish catching my breath, and I'll deal with her."

"You don't want them getting caught? Why?" their mom asked.

Miss Newman shook her head. "They'd immediately rat you out as who they were targeting. What do you think the men in black suits will do when they find out your family specifically was being targeted? What happens when they find out you were in close contact with me? They'll never leave you alone again if they don't just lock you up in some facility instead. Getting caught is an inconvenience to them and me since the spell will rip us home in less than a week anyway. However, any of us getting caught will ruin your lives."

Their parents hesitated before their mom answered. "They wouldn't do that. We're US citizens."

Miss Newman laughed like their mom told the most hilarious joke ever. Andrea was now cringing in her seat as well. She didn't want to get locked up.

The pony stopped laughing but was still smiling. "Let me focus, children."

Miss Newman stared upwards behind the car, even though there was no way she could properly see out a window from that angle. Her horn was glowing, but nothing seemed to be happening. However, she suddenly dropped and started choking again. A little bit of bile dribbled out of her mouth.

"I think you shouldn't eat meat. It's bad for you," Charlotte told the unicorn.

"How observant," Miss Newman muttered. She hacked one more time and went back to what she was doing.

They all kept silent for a minute, waiting for something, anything to happen. When out of nowhere, the unicorn's horn flared. The pony then immediately collapsed like she passed out straight into her pool of vomit. A second later, a feminine scream rang out in the night before something crashed into the fields of corn a short distance behind them. Did both the ponies just die?

"Miss Newman? Miss Newman?!" their mom said frantically. "Andrea, do me a favor. Check to see if she's breathing!"

That required her pushing her sisters off of her, neither of which were happy about it. Andrea inched across the seat and looked closely at the pony. She didn't want to touch, just in case the pony was dead. Touching a dead body was bad.

It took her a few seconds in the dark to be sure, but the pony was breathing. "She's alive, Mom. I think she passed out."

"She smells really bad," Kristin said, waving a hand in front of her face.

"Cover her up with the blanket as best you can," their mom instructed.

Their dad stiffened in his seat, eyes in the rearview mirror. "Hun, that van that tried to run you down just came from way behind us and is pulling off the road."

"We all heard the scream. They're probably looking for the flying pony," their mom said, glancing back. "What the heck did she do, and why'd it knock her out too?"

"I don't know. The only magic I know is card tricks and pulling quarters from behind ears. I don't know how hers works," their dad replied. "Do you think she killed that other pony? That had to be a big fall."

"I don't know," their mom said in frustration, echoing their dad. "What do we do now?"

Their dad shook his head. "When the adrenaline wears off, I'm going to need to rest. Maybe we need to pull into the next town and find a hotel for the night."

"That van isn't far behind us, and they'll probably be doing the same thing," their mom countered.

As her parents continued to argue back and forth about what to do, Andrea went about trying to cover Miss Newman up. Kristin ended up helping, maybe hoping that it would cover the smell of vomit faster, but Andrea wasn't sure that would work. What had caused the pony to pass out? Was she that sick from eating meat?

She worked on getting the blanket over the pony, and Kristin worked on smoothing it out where it draped over the seat. Once it was in place, Kristin started gathering up Miss Newman's clothes that had been discarded around the backseat haphazardly. Andrea's little sister paused as she picked up Miss Newman's necklace, and Andrea could see the gears working in Kristin's stupid little head.

"Don't do it," Andrea warned as she watched her sister. Kristin gave her a defiant look and then immediately started moving to put it in. Andrea jumped to stop her. "Mom! Tell Kristin to stop!"

Their mom turned to try to see what was going on, but it was too late. The necklace went around Kristin's neck, and the next second, there was a bundle of squirming clothes crying and screaming in panic.

PreviousChapters Next