• Published 17th Oct 2021
  • 3,315 Views, 836 Comments

The Warp Core Conspiracy - Unwhole Hole



Captain Kirk and the Enterprise witness the failure of Equestria's first warp attempt, and on investigation find something far more sinister may be afoot.

  • ...
52
 836
 3,315

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Math on a Whiteboard

“Oi! Thomas, McCarthy, roll it over here! Right here!”

Mr. Scott pointed as the pair of red-shirted ensigns rolled in a white board, sitting it against one side of engineering. The engineering crew had started to gather around as the board was put into position, leaning against an otherwise blank area of the warp-core shielding array. It was relatively late at night, and the ship was in orbit, so there were only a minimum of tasks to be done. And, on this particular night, the entirety of the crew had done their duties at warp-speed in preparation for the spectacle they were about to witness.

Many of them gawked at the small unicorn and her strange, partially-armored Lunar uniform, but there was overall an air of excitement. They were not afraid of her in the slightest--and she found this strangely comforting.

Scottie held out his hand and one of the crew put a dry-erase marker into it. Scottie frowned, then looked to the ensign incredulously. “Lad, I’m not giving an academy lecture here.”

“Oh, sorry, sir!” The ensign instead gave him a whole handful of markers.

“Aye, lad, that’s the stuff. Have some more on deck.” He split the pile and gave the others to Moondancer, who levitated them before her. “I have a feeling we’re going to need it.”

At the far end of the room, a door hissed open and a man nearly sprinted in, almost knocking over a pair of engineers who were, in contrast with the others, still trying to get their work done. Unlike all the others present, he was the only one in a yellow shirt.

“Did I miss it?” he said, out of breath as he leaned over, holding his knees and panting. “Have I missed the mathematics?”

“Ensign Chekov,” called Scottie, smiling. “You’re off duty. You ought to be sleeping, lad. Uhura won’t be a might happy if you fall asleep on your console.”

“But sir, how could I be sleeping when there is maths occurring? Maths of an alien nature? The excitement of it, I would have wibrated right out of my berth!”

Scottie laughed. Even Moondancer smiled slightly.

“Now listen up!” he shouted to the room. Their murmur of excitement for the impending mathematics silenced as they began to listen intently. “This is Command-Wizard Moondancer. As you know, we are overseeing the salvage of her ship. And if ye don’t know that, then you have no business being in this room. We're here to hash out how exactly we'll be about it. She’s going to go over the theory of her craft, and from what I’ve seen so far, I think you’ll all find it a might interesting. But first! We’re going to have a nice, friendly exchange of basic warp theory.”

Moondancer looked up at him, and Scottie gestured toward the board. “It’d not be appropriate for me to go first. You’re the guest after all.”

Moondancer smiled and almost laughed. She approached the board, simultaneously uncapping all her markers. “This is just like back in school,” she said. “We used to break into the school after dark to do secret after-hours math on the boards, just me and Twi...” She stopped, and all mirth left her face. She cleared her throat, her expression now dark and serious. “A friend and I. A former friend. It doesn’t matter.”

She lifted the markers and immediately began writing, all of her markers moving simultaneously, printing perfectly shaped numbers and letters across the board. “So. The fundamental theory of faster-than-light travel is based on the basic concept of a teleportation spell. A teleportation spell moves any object, including a pony, instantaneously between any two points in space, which is governed by this limitation function which essentially translates to range but also includes limitations on the caster’s accuracy. So the question is making the teleportation field non-instantaneous, which can be accomplished by this distribution function so long as these conditions are met. These need to be calculated mentally, in real time. Because this part is done by the caster, with her own magic.”

“Wait, wait,” said Chekov. “What even is that?”

Moondancer stopped, staring at what she had just written. “This may not exist in your mathematical system. Think of it like linear algebra, but in five dimensions instead of two.”

Chekov stared. “But...then...”

Scottie held up his hand. “What just a bloody minute, lassie,” he said, stepping forward. He gestured to several of the complex equations that Moondancer had assembled. “These...if I’m understanding the basic forms of these right...lass, these are trans-warp equations!”

Moondancer stared at him, confused by his confusion. “This is fundamental teleportation theory. We’ve understood this for millenia.”

“It’s also unsolvable,” said Chekov.

“Ensign, clearly--”

“No, no, it is! Right here!” he stepped out from the crowd of generic red-shirt engineers and pointed. “Look! This function, it derivation requires a transform function that loses definition...can I have marker?”

Moondancer gave him one, and he scrawled his primitive human script to make a basic calculation. “It requires a wariable, but that wariable system cannot be derived from these systems, it is lost by the Fourier transform!”

“Because you don’t derive it. You choose it.”

Chekov stared, horrified. “But the chances of choosing the correct input equation are, they have to be one hundred billion to--”

“No. No matter what number you choose, you almost always choose the right one.”

“But there is no way to know that!”

“Except that’s how it works. The ‘how’ is still an area of research.” Moondancer snatched her marker back and completed his equation. “This was something the ancient wizards discovered long ago. When a machine—in their case, a clockwork logic array—is allowed to choose the variables, essentially the output, of a teleportation spell, the chance is probabilistic. It gets it right only by random chance. It will go where you want half the time, and where you don't on the other half. But when a living thing chooses the number, they choose a path that actually works.” She scrawled quickly with multiple markers. “That requires this equation, which is the mathematical proof of a soul. Or the mathematical equivalent of a soul, which is semantics.”

She finished the equation while filling out the others, with the engineers watching in awe. Then she paused.

“Which is the problem. Why I think I lost control. The default, low-entropy solution is to teleport. The ship wants to teleport, but the systems I built keep that from happening.”

“Because it doesn’t account for the production of tachyons,” said Chekov, leaning forward and grabbing a marker—only to be pushed back by Scottie.

“Because it doesn’t take a hint from basic warp understanding,” he snapped. “Let the tachyons damn themselves, this is right and proper backwards! You didn’t even do the necessary calculations to define the shape of the warp field!”

“Meaning?”

Scottie uncapped his marker and scrawled quickly, writing from memory what all of the engineers understood but not in so much detail. The fundamental theories of the warp drive and its operations, from basic calculations setting up the parameters of the drive to the derivation of the warp field itself, a controlled spatial distortion. Moondancer watched this, her already enormous eyes growing wider with every second until Scottie finally capped his third marker.

She stared at it, mouth open, and then slowly looked up to him. “But that...that’s cheating!”

“That’s fundamental warp theory, lass. What you have can scarcely be called a warp-drive at all, it--”

“Doesn’t meet your basic considerations for stability, I know, because I had no idea those could even be derived—what even is this?! You’re starting the ship from stationary, and just—just making it move?! You can’t do that!”

“I did the math, lass.”

“And it’s right, I can see that, I’m not stupid—” She groaned. “No wonder your computers can do it, it’s so much simpler, but it would be impossible to build, let alone achieve.” She gestured to a specific part of the formula. “This, how? How do you even get enough power to do that, let alone increase it exponentially? There’s not an energy source in the universe with enough force.”

“The warp drive is fueled by antimatter.”

Moondancer stiffened. “You mean I’m on a ship...right now...that has antimatter?”

“Aye, lass, that’s what makes it run. I’m surprised you know--”

“Of course I know what antimatter is, my planet has wizards, we've known about it for eight thousand years. And I know it EXPLODES.”

“Not if it’s contained by dilithium, lass.”

She scowled. “What in the name of Celestia’s rump is ‘dilithium’?” She shook her head. “No. I don’t care. I’d never set hoof on something driven with antimatter, there’s no way.” She groaned. “Even if it makes the math easier, it’s structurally SO much more difficult. This thing would be massive, slow and...well, frankly, Equestria just achieved a working steam engine prototype a month after the first Pegasus got into orbit.”

Scottie did a double take. “Wait, what? You invented spaceflight...before the steam engine?”

“Trust me, FTL is a LOT easier than trying to figure out how to make a boiler that doesn’t explode. I’m saying we don’t have nearly the engineering capacity to build what you’re suggesting. I have no idea how your technology even developed this backward.”

“Backward?!”

“The level of technology you would need just to get into space. It...it’s just backward. Wouldn’t you already have FTL by the time you were advanced enough to even START building a warp core?”

Scottie stared at her, dumbfounded. “Lassie, I’m afraid we’ve confounded each other.”

The expression on Moondancer’s face fell as Chekov’s mathematical excitement reached its zenith.

“Do you have any idea the implications of these mathematics and subsequent theories, Ms. Moondancer? This—this could redefine warp theory!”

“Aye,” agreed Scott, somewhat less enthused.

“Or,” snapped Moondancer, “It means that my society has met none of the normal prerequisites to compete with yours, let alone interact with it. Your backward development and priorities means we’re on a galactic stage when we haven’t even had an industrial revolution yet.”

“Lass, that’s a tad pessimistic, don’t you--”

Moondancer shoved the whiteboard back with a telekinetic thud. “One ship. That’s all it would take. JUST ONE.”

“To what?”

“To conquer all of Equetria, you fools. Just one of these metal and antimatter monstrosities. That’s all it would take.”

Author's Note:

To me, it always seemed that scientific development in Star Trek is very procedural, and very much in the techno-optimist mindset of the 1960s where the epitome of technology was to build a bigger hunk of metal that went faster than all the rest. Why is it that every species always develops a warp-core and then goes out and meets aliens face-to-face? Does anyone ever develop subspace communication first and suddenly hear ships passing, or develop superior optics and sight them on a telescope?

Or, to address a problem pointed out in the comments earlier in the story, what if, through magic, creating a FTL ship is easier than something like interchangeable parts or the incandescent light bulb? What happens when a race of silly idealists never even thinks to build the warships first?

PreviousChapters Next