• Published 7th Sep 2011
  • 12,820 Views, 376 Comments

One Way - jroddie



Edwin Shell dies as a human, and wakes up as a pony. Can he save Equestria before it is too late?

  • ...
54
 376
 12,820

PreviousChapters Next
4: of Defense and Attack

Fluttershy looked at me in amazement as chopped vegetables with one hoof. I looked at her looking with an air of incredulity.

“Is this really that amazing?” I asked her. she looked at the vegetables, and back to me.

“I've never met anypony that can do this as good as you can, Ed. at least not without magic.” She replied quietly. I ran my other hoof through my mane as I chopped, pretty sure I was looking like a total badass.

“Really?” I replied, still amazed that this little pony has never seen anyone pick up something with one hoof.

“Really.” She said, assured of the truth. I put down the knife before I could get ahead of myself with mutilating the vegetables.

“Is this all there is for breakfast?” i asked.

“Um... yes, it is.” she said while looking at her hooves. I shrugged

“That’s fine by me...” I said

After breakfast I convinced fluttershy to take me into town to see the sights. Not knowing if I could stay in Equestria really made me want to see all of it. Although, it required some persuasion on the part of Fluttershy.

“C’mon Fluttershy! it isn't every day that you get to see Ponyville!” I said, practically begging.

"Well, for me..."

"Pleeeeaase?!" I pleaded.

“Oh, I don't think I can do that, Twilight told me-”

“Fluttershy! I really would LOVE to go see the shops and stuff.” I said.

“Oh, but I couldn't possibly do that, Twilight said-”

“Look, I'll back you up if Twilight gets mad, okay?”

“Well... okay, I guess I can do that...

We were walking through the town, admiring all of the buildings. There was a quill and sofa shop, along with several shops selling various sweets and treats of all kinds. There were various stands for candy, books, and one for apples, and another for-

“Well if it aint Fluttershy! I haven't seen you in days!” Said a voice with a deep south accent. Fluttershy squeaked. I looked at her with a grin on my face and started laughing.

“Well what in tarnation is going on here?” Said the voice incredulously as I started wheezing from laughing so much.
I was laughing so hard now that I was literally on the ground, barely able to breathe.

“Um. Ed... this is A-Applejack.” Fluttershy said between my gaspings.

“N-nice to meet you HAHAHAHAAA!” i screamed out, trying to contain myself.

Applejack bit my hair and moved me. She pulled me behind her apple cart and stood in front of it. i was there for a few minutes, laughing my ass off...

When the world stood still. The breath stuck in my throat. I could tell because Applejack stopped fidgeting. She had just one hoof floating in the air. I knew what to do, somehow.

I snuck out from under the cart, edging around applejack, and stood up on all four hooves. I looked round, and everything was frozen. Leaves were floating in the air, and everypony was still. There was even one who was frozen in mid-jump. But, there were two things wrong.

There was a pony who looked confused, a light brown one with a slightly darker mane, and it was moving.

There was a small white orb floating next to Fluttershy.

“Hey, hello?” I said to the brown pony. He immediately looked up at me, his expression turned from confusion to absolute delight.

“Well, would you look at this! Not every day that you see a Ghost!” It said with a delighted tone.

“Who... who are you?” I asked, in awe. this pony just seemed so carefree, so lax, in such a surprising scenario.

“Never get tired of that question, never do...” He replied mystically, looking at a nearby leaf floating. I waited for a response.

“You see, Edwin, this is not the first time that i have met you. but, it is the first time you have met me. Edwin... I'm the Doctor.” I was confused to no end by this statement.

“What do you even mean? You're a doctor? And why are you the only one that can move?” I said, exasperated by the lack of sense he made.

“I'm not A doctor, I’m THEE Doctor, you see. I didn't stop moving because I didn't want to. that, and I’m supposed to tell you to touch that thing.” he said, gesturing at the white orb
“And other than what I just said, I am to tell you nothing.” He qualified. I raised my eyebrows at him, which is a hard thing to do without eyebrows.

“Go on.” he said “Touch it.” Walking over to the orb, I reached my hoof out to it, and tried to touch it. My hoof slid right through, like it was just air.

“Oh, wait...” said the doctor absentmindedly, as he trotted away from me. “They said to grab it.”
Looking at the doctor with a not-amused look on my face, I reached for the orb again and grabbed it.
the whole of creation tore itself asunder. the feeling was pure torment, my body was pure pain. My hoof was glued to the orb, and through it waves of pain flowed. The only thing that was like this was getting hit by the train, and not even that comparable. This was like being set on fire.

I writhed for what felt like hours in a sea of pain, and would have done anything to escape it. The orb seemed like it plucked the thought out of my head, and the orb no longer affected me. For a few seconds there was sweet bliss. Then the pain flowed through me, still making my scream and writhe, but it flowed out and to the other ponies.

Time resumed, and i never heard or saw anything more horrendous in my life.

AH! AH! AAH!
It burns, mommy! It burns!
Jim, run! save yourself!
-wont leave- you-
-take the foals-
WHAT’S HAPPENING! AAAAARGH!

“NO! NO! DON’T BRING THEM INTO THIS!” I screamed at the orb, which I had unleashed upon the innocent masses.

“You fool.” Spoke the orb into my mind. I stared at the orb, and never felt hatred so harsh and swift.

I looked around, trying to see something that I could kill the orb with. I had to bear the faces of the crying, screaming ponies littered around me like forgotten toys. Their screams and lamentations fell upon my suffering, yet helpless, ears. I looked at Fluttershy, at her fragile body wracked in the throes of pain unearthly. She somehow manages to look at me through the searing fire and tear-streaked eyes and whispers:

“Save us... Ed...” These words were enough to make my hatred for the orb all the more deadly.

“I KNOW NOT WHAT YOU ARE! BUT I WILL DO ANYTHING TO KILL YOU!” I spat to the orb.

“Ha!” The orb spoke into my mind, “A mere pony? Defeat the likes of me?” It projected, forcibly inserting its thoughts into my mind. I screamed in a deafening voice that was not my own, the chords of my neck bursting, my body flowing with strength i never had. Rage, swift and unmerciful, flowed through me into the orb, dragging the pain through with it, and the orb grew darker.

“What foul power is this?” Projected the orb. I cared not to satisfy it with an answer, but focused the pain and rage in my head. I stared at the orb, and I sensed fear. I opened my mouth and screamed at it. The world turned white with unleashed power as the orb quietly collapsed on itself.

I fell to the ground, my lungs heaving with exertion. My body seemed empty of the power it showed when grappling with the orb. the corners of the world grew dark. Right before i blacked out, I saw a pony lean over me, then reach down to grab me. There was a flash of blue, and then the world grew dark.


My body felt warm, like lying in the sun on a spring day. I lazily flickered my eyes open, seeing what there was to see. There was only white.

I do believe he is waking up, Othello.
give it time, Evangeline. He has been through the tribulation. You were not so well yourself, were you?
I say we wake him up now, Othello.
remember your place, Gespard. he is still recovering.
Othello, please! We shant be too hard on the boy, but we can’t let him lie there forever!

“The orb... t-” My words were cut short by a pain in my chest.

“Marcus, go help the boy” said the voice belonging to Othello.

“Easy now, son.” said what I assumed to be Marcus, as he hoisted me up. I felt like I was floating, and landed on something very soft.

“Please wake him up, will you?” Said the deepest voice. I felt a constricting around my hooves, which were splayed about me. They were irritating, which caused me to shuffle around on the softness. I opened my eyes, trying to see what was pestering me.

I was looking at four of the oddest ponies I’ve ever seen. they were all different colors, all of them bright, vivid hues. The tallest was red, the second tallest was purest blue, the third was a woman pony, and she had a bright yellow coat, and the smallest was a brilliant green. I tried to get up, but the finesse of muscular control escaped me. There was no way to move at all.I slumped, my head burying itself in the soft thing.

“Who... who are you?” I said with my mouth full of soft. All of the bright, tall ponies smiled, seemingly in unison. The tallest, the red, stepped foreward on gigantic crimson hooves.

“Edwin, we are the league of Numbered.” He declaimed in a loud voice.

PreviousChapters Next