• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 2,211 Views, 30 Comments

It's All Wrong. - Hotel_Chicken



Twilight invites Starswirl to a convention all about him. It's... all wrong. Everything. And since when was he white?

  • ...
10
 30
 2,211

Literally Everything is Wrong.

The streets of Ponyville were filled with ponies of all shapes and sizes, many of them bearing similar capes and hats as they trotted from stall to stall.

Hundreds, maybe even thousands of bells were ringing in the air as they trotted by. The only thing louder than the constant ringing was the general conversations that filled the air.

Starswirl could hear two mares arguing over one of his old spells next to a stallion who was haggling for an old set of rusty bells. A foal was crying somewhere in the distance being shushed by their mother, and a mare was reading some of his abandoned poetry like a prophet on a stage. He could have sworn he burned all of those after his breakup.

“So, what do you think so far?” Twilight asked eagerly as she matched Starswirl’s pace.

She was wearing her own imitation of his iconic hat and cape. He couldn’t help but glare at her costume before stealing a glance at the other dressed up ponies.

“Princess Twilight, I will begrudgingly admit that I found your lessons in friendship fascinating, and that I learned many things from you. You earned what very few others had, Princess. You gained my respect.”

“W-wow. That’s really nice of you, actually. Where did—”

“And now I’ve lost all respect for you and this new-fangled age,” he finished bitterly as he tried to ignore the sound of cans dragging against the dirt.

How that stallion thought tying cans to his cloak was a good substitute was beyond Starswirl. Maybe he purposefully made it terrible? Was he making fun of him? Starswirl the Poor, the stallion who couldn’t afford a razor?

“Okay, that was rude,” Twilight frowned, stirring Starswirl out of his thoughts as she huffed. “I really thought you’d be happy coming here today.”

“Princess, I’m sorry. But this is probably the worst day I’ve ever had since coming back to Equestria.”

“That sounds like an exaggeration.”

“I wish,” he scoffed.

“What’s so bad about this? It’s a convention all about you.”

“Because it’s all wrong! What am I Twilight, a joke?!” He snapped, pointing a hoof at one of the hanging banners that decorated the town. “Look at that! Who the buck is that?”

She followed his hoof to the cartoonish depiction of Starswirl.

“That’s… you?” She replied warily.

“Really? Then why am I white? I’m clearly grey! And look at that beard! It’s longer than Celestia’s mane!”

“Well, there’s room for artistic interpretation.”

“Artistic? How is dying my fur bleach white artistic? It’s inaccurate too since there weren’t even any white coated unicorns in my town! And look at all of those.”

Following his hoof again, Twilight looked at the free book cart filled with stories about Starswirl.

“The books.”

“No, those libelous pieces of ‘literature’. They aren't worth the pages they're written on! They're a stain on everything I’ve done and they tell nothing but outright lies.”

Flaring up his magic, Starswirl levitated one of the thicker tomes over to them and read the back cover aloud. “‘Magical Education: A steamy tale of two sorcerers using spells to forge new bonds. Can Starswirl’s student handle his teacher’s loving lectures, or will this naughty colt need some spanking?’ Do you see this, Twilight? It claims that I slept with Clover the Clever! Clover of all ponies. My own student!”

“Starswirl, you do know that’s fan fiction, right? The point is that it’s fiction,” Twilight tried to explain.

“How would you feel if somepony wrote about you becoming intimate with your familiar, Spike?” Starswirl asked in turn, earning a shiver from Twilight as she sent an understanding look at the book stand.

“Okay, I kind of get that. But it’s endearing… Kind of.”

“It’s disgusting. I can’t believe somepony would… Princess, why is your name on this b—”

The fan fiction erupted into a ball of flames as Twilight teleported the rest of the stand away.

“… …It was one time and I was a teenager,” she weakly defended.

“You published…” Trailing off, Starswirl groaned as he began trotting away with Twilight in tow. “Ignoring that, forever, you understand how… weird this all is, right? I don’t look like that, I don’t sleep with my students, I never… Had a candle,” he stopped, staring dumbly at an auction booth where ponies were eagerly throwing bits to buy old antiques. “Why are they buying my old candle holder?”

“Ah, that's the charity auction,” she chirped, happy for the change in subject. “They’re selling a few of your tools and donating the profit to the Equestria rebuilding committee.”

“Well, that’s nice. But why are they selling an old candle holder?”

“Because that’s the candle you used to explore the caverns of Maretania! It’s an ancient relic used to chase off the living shadows that were guarding the Rainbow of Darkness, and the only way to get past them was by carrying the dying embers of a Phoenix on a dragon wax candle that—”

“What are you talking about?” Starswirl interrupted, staring at her with a curious expression.

“The… The time you went to get the Rainbow of Darkness in Maretania. When you used the candle that they’re auctioning.”

“Why would I use a candle? I have an illumination spell.”

“But… but the caverns of Maretania didn’t allow anypony to use magic!”

“Since when? I don’t remember having any problems with my magic. And there weren’t any caverns, just a shallow hole at the bottom of a mountain.”

“But the story—”

“Was another one of your ‘fan fictions’ I presume,” he scoffed, trotting away as they passed more booths selling Starswirl apparel and memorabilia. “That candle was a gift from Flash for my birthday. I only used it when they were visiting my tower. I didn’t even remember that candle holder until just now.”

“So… You didn’t fight a serpent made of bones?”

“I… Nooo?”

“But you fought the undead minotaur roaming the maze, right?”

“That sounds offensive, and also no.”

“Had a magic battle with Hydia the witch and her daughters?”

“Hydia was an Ex-marefriend. We broke up and that was the end of it.”

“But… Then none of that happened?”

“Seems so,” he sighed. “So, this is what I’ve been relegated to? A caricature and fan fictions?”

“It’s… I’m sure it’s not that bad,” Twilight offered.

“Hey, nice Starswirl costume,” a stallion in a fedora complimented, tipping his hat to Starswirl as he trotted by.

A heavy silence fell over the pair before Starswirl asked a very simple question. “Does nopony here even recognize me? I… There was a newspaper article about us coming back! My picture was in it!”

“I’m sure that was just a mistake.”

“This whole day was a mistake,” he grumbled irritably.

“Okay, so it wasn’t exactly what either of us was expecting. But I’m sure there’s something fun we can do!”

“Like what?”

Smiling, Twilight pulled out a flyer from under her cloak. “Welllll, I have it on good authority that there’s a Starswirl quiz competition in a few hours. What if we, oh I dunno, enter the competition?”

“So, I have to just, what, talk about myself and win?”

“Pretty much! We’d be a shoe-in for the grand prize! Unlimited Hayburgers here I come!” She cheered, earning a flat look from Starswirl.

“You didn’t invite me to this stupid convention just for that, did you?”


“What? No! Don’t be silly. I would never take advantage of having you as a friend to get a lifetime supply of Hayburger coupons. Nowcomeon, wehavetosignupquick!” Twilight cried, shoving Starswirl towards the reservation area to enter the contest.


A dull buzzer rung in the air as a stallion in a Starswirl costume looked over his cards.

“Oooooh, sorry. The correct answer was forty-seven. I’m sorry team Magic Missile, but you’ve been eliminated,” the judge apologized as Twilight physically restrained Starswirl from strangling the stallion.

“Who the buck would put forty-seven bells into their hat, you moron! It’s forty-eight! Forty-eight! I count them every bucking morning to make sure I’m not missing one!”

“Starswirl, calm down!”

“It’s forty-eight! I’m right so give me my prize!” He shouted as the princess carried him off in a huff.

“You don’t even like Hayburgers,” she muttered.

“Buck your Hayburgers, it’s the principal of the matter! I’m right and they’re all morons! I demand a new judge!”

“We’re leaving Starswirl.”

“But I should have won! It’s literally my life! Nopony knows it better than me!”

“Isn’t that the whole problem with this convention?”

“Yes! You know what! Buck your convention! I’ll make my own bucking convention! With Black magic! And hoof crafters!” He threatened to the wind. “You historian hacks won’t know what hit you!”

Groaning, Twilight carried him back to her castle as she prepared to listen to him vent for the next hour or so.

She’d make sure to invite somepony else to the next convention.

Comments ( 30 )

This story is so true:

If we transport famous person from the past, the famous person would rightly point out that we got most details wrong; while we, unfortunately, see the dark parts of the historical personality history glosses over.

I feel so guilty after reading this.

I feel like this needs a sequel where Twilight ends up in the future with Sunny and co....and Twilight finds herself in Starswirl's shoes.

“How would you feel if somepony wrote about you becoming intimate with your familiar, Spike?” Starswirl asked in turn, earning a shiver from Twilight as she sent an understanding look at the book stand.

Shamefully looks at the Splight story I'm working on. :twilightblush:

This was a hilarious read. :twilightsmile:

Star Swirl needs to just ask AK Yearling how SHE handles it. Also you know even in universe by now Twilight X Spike exists, and ones will all her friends and ones with ALL her friends.
Also mirrors real life, Charlie Chaplin famously lost a Charlie Chaplin look a like contest.

11014003
To be fair, that contest was specifically for his character "The Tramp" and he didn't bother changing out of his street clothes. Probably deliberate on his part to give everyone else a fair chance, because he was much less of a jerk than the other famous person with that style of moustache.

With blackjack and hookers!

11015356
Glad someone got it. Shame there's no pony pun that rhymes with hookers.

I like this a lot. Not because it is particularly funny or anything (though it did make me smile) but because of your style to work mostly through dialog. You don't see that often.

Good job friend.

“Yes! You know what! Buck your convention! I’ll make my own bucking convention! With Black magic! And hoof crafters!” He threatened to the wind. “You historian hacks won’t know what hit you!”

Heeey! Futurama!

You're telling me there's a literal Starswirl convention and the organizers didn't even try to invite him? I mean, he probably wouldn't have come if they did, but that's just rude.

Also love the good old "Twilight writes smutty fanfics" angle, it just works.

11015813
Indeed. Loved that show

It's nice to see a celebrity taking on whitewashing in popular culture.

“Really? Then why am I white? I’m clearly grey! And look at that beard! It’s longer than Celestia’s mane!”

And this suddenly got controversial. :twilightoops:

11015913
I mean… It happens in both directions.
Glances at MJ from Spider-Man
…Some from modern Disney.

Jesus comes back.

Nobody notices, because nobody recognizes him.

(I'm not commenting on religion, I'm agreeing with Hotel_Chicken on how I think distortion from time and retelling is true.)

11016186
More like "he gets arrested at an airport because he's a Middle Easterner who doesn't speak English". To say nothing of how basically the entire Gospel is him calling out the existing power structure and occasionally violently forcing a bank closure.

11015928
I’m talking about actual history, not made up characters

11015815
There is an entire card game about Twilight writing crack ships. Unofficial though...

11016412
Oh yeah, I remember that from a few years back, I forget the name though.

Twilight will have the same experience as Starswirl in a few hundred years... what goes around, comes around, right?

11016406
Yes, and? What if it happened today with fictional characters from hundreds of years ago? Stories that everybody of that time knew, and that influenced the world? Would it still be just a fictional character? Or would it be history? I’m not quite sure how I’d feel about Chinese Folk-lore being shown with the wrong people in it.

11016694
Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder.

11015913
11015924
Mien
Not everything has to about that you know. Learn to keep it in every now and then.
Facts get muddled, things go undocumented, for a time they very well could’ve believed Starswirl had white fur.
In essence: History only cares for those who remember it, not for those who are right. What if I told you that (apparently) the Land Bridge theory is being broken down despite what history itself says? That the Natives of the Americas actually crossed a Land Bridge between Russia and Alaska to cross into North America where they settled. Well apparently it’s not true, but that’s not what history says now is it?
Facts are muddled, things go undocumented. This... whitewash and controversial Hakka you’re spouting means literally nothing to the story at large. The author knows what he’s doing and if you don’t like it, then don’t say anything. Better to walk away in silence than to cause a problem by saying something.

On that note, Chicken this is a funny story, keep up the good work

11017157

On that note, Chicken this is a funny story, keep up the good work

Thanks for the kind words!

11017157
No, it's just one aspect of the story that was up for discussion. It's a very well written story, and incredibly humorous, but interactions and discussion with other people aren't quite as limited. I'm not saying that things haven't gotten changed over the centuries, or that errors have not happened with the recording of history, but I'm making a comment about something in the story that people will take to the extreme. And if we do find errors in the history books, then the best thing would be to correct them. What good came from erasing history?

Thought that tidbit about the early colonization of North America is interesting.

“Who the buck would put forty-seven bells into their hat, you moron! It’s forty-eight! Forty-eight! I count them every bucking morning to make sure I’m not missing one!”

Shouldn't Starswirl be a judge, or authentication expert, not dragged through the back door by a fan?

For that matter did no one recognize Twilight, or is this just Season 8 and 9, where no one cares about her?

Regardless this was a story which hits close to home. So I sympathize with and support Starswirl against the forces of lazy researchers, and history revisionists.

Login or register to comment