• Published 11th Oct 2021
  • 3,878 Views, 50 Comments

Stay in bed - Cackling Moron



Pony and human stay in bed.

  • ...
3
 50
 3,878

Bad things only occasionally happen in bed

Author's Note:

The other day was a bad day, and I sustained myself with awful NHS-grade instant coffee and basic, unrisky thoughts of fluff, here manifested in words outside my head.

Outside it was dark, cold, and surprisingly foggy for the time of year.

Inside it was cozy, snug, and fog was pleasantly conspicuous in its absence.

Inside the inside there was a bed, and inside this bed (which was on the inside) were two gently snoozing lumps, one human-shaped, the other smaller and not-human shaped. All was still. All was cozy. All was well.

All continued being still, cozy and well until the phone beside the bed - on the side nearest the human-shaped lump - lit up and started to beep and buzz. After a second of confused snuffling an arm lunged from under the covers, fumbled, found the phone, and fingers mashed against it until it shut up. The arm then withdrew out of sight again.

A few moments of the same quiet from before passed.

The duvet was then shucked halfway aside to reveal a man who was plainly not happy to be awake but who had decided to roll with it anyway. He already had one leg out of bed and was all set to have the rest of his body follow when the not-human shaped lump moved and, from the other half of the duvet, a colourful and hoof-tipped limb extend, wrapping about his middle and staying his exit.

Which is to say, his ponyladyfriend stopped him in his tracks.

“Where do you think you’re going?” She asked, more of her emerging from the beneath the covers, mane a mess and face bleary but still determined.

“Up. Stuff to do,” he said, though he made no effort to keep moving.

What with it being a weekend she found his line about having stuff to do hard to believe. She was still mildly incredulous he’d even had an alarm set in the first place. Her expression reflected this. Had an eyebrow raised and everything. Her eyes might have been only halfway open, but her eyebrow was all the way up.

Somehow.

“Like what?” She asked.

“Well, got to empty the dishwasher for one,” he said.

This was a very feeble reason to leave the bed in her view. Her grip tightened.

“Oh no. The dishes aren’t going anywhere, so neither are you.”

“It’ll just take a second, then I can come back.”

Grip remaining tight she scooched across the bed, latched about his middle and did her best with her free foreleg to sling the duvet back over him again, covering most of him. She deemed this a successful slinging.

“Nuh uh, not leaving, not letting you,” she said, snuggling in his side happily.

His resolve wavered, but then he thought of the dozen or more tiny, trifling chores he intended to do. As easy and attractive as it would be to just slip back under the covers - and with a warm bundle of loving softness continuing to burrow into his side it was extremely attractive - the many things left outstanding burnt away in his brain, nagging him.

“I could just pick you up and take you with me,” he said.

“You could try, but I’m a wriggler and you know I am,” she said, not looking up.

“...true.”

She was. He knew.

Giggling in triumph she kissed blindly, catching him on the ribs. This tipped it, and his leg lifted back into bed and his arms went around her. Really, even trying to resist in the first place had been a mistake.

She put some of the infamous wriggling to good use as the both of them got into a mutually comfortable position again, he ended up properly under the duvet and she ending up halfway on top of him, head lying across his chest.

All, again, was well, and the two lay in cozy, comfortable silence for a happy while, she listening to his breath and heartbeat, he variously either staring up at nothing or staring at the back of her head as it rose and fell on top of him. He rather liked her mane messy, actually. It was poofy.

Eventually, she felt moved to ask:

“Why do you always have to be up and doing something anyway?”

It was a habit of his, she’d noticed. That he had been trying to do it on a weekend begged an immediate answer to this question. He’d disrupted what had meant to be a long stretch of snoozing and snuggling with his attempts to escape and do housework!

As best as he could while lying down he shrugged.

“Just don’t like not doing anything,” he said.

“Cuddling me is doing something.”

Doing something very important, too, in her book. Possibly one of the more important things anyone could be doing. So important that she only trusted him to do it! He gave her a scratch behind the ear and this was much appreciated.

“You know what I mean. It’s like that line I heard, uh, ‘My whole religion is this: do every duty, and expect no reward for it, either here or hereafter’,” he said.

She wrinkled her muzzle.

“Cheerful,” she said. He smiled.

“Kind of the style of the guy, really. I quite like it myself.”

“You would,” she said. “I don’t.”

“Not your kind of style?”

“No.”

Another silence followed, slightly less comfortable as she was clearly brewing a followup.

When it came it first involved her slithering out of his grip and, with some clumsy effort so she stayed under the duvet, mounting him so she sat astride his waist. This got his attention. Once she was properly seated and settled and with his hands on her hips to steady her she poked him in the nose with a hoof and held it there while she spoke:

“You’re getting a reward,” she said, grandly.

He stared at her. Then he looked her from top to bottom and took in where she was sitting and how she was sitting and where they both were when she’d said what she’d said. She picked up on this. She went pink.

“Not like that! Well, not right now, maybe later. I mean something else! Laziness! You do lots during the week and now the week is over and so that’s your duty done and now you’re getting your reward! And it’s nothing!” She said.

“You do lots too…” He said, feeling it wrong not to point this out. They were, after all, a team.

She just nodded.

“Exactly. We both do lots. Lots and lots. Which is why today we’re not doing anything. Because this is the day we get our reward. And our reward is staying in bed and not doing anything,” she said.

He wasn’t entirely convinced.

“Feels lazy,” he said, getting another poke in the nose for his troubles.

“That’s the whole point. It is lazy! We’re going to be lazy. Gloriously lazy. Together. We’re not going to achieve anything of note today. Today everything is going to take twice as long and we’re going to be slow doing it. We’re not even going to get dressed.”

“You don’t wear clothes,” he pointed out.

“Stop poking holes. It’s about the spirit of the thing, the true essence of a lazy day. It’s a state of being. I might even find one of your t-shirts to put on, just so I can look half-dressed and therefore even lazier,” she said, this idea occurring to her as she spoke and her eyes widening with the wonder of it. What an idea!

“Did you practise all this?” He asked. It did seem rather a lot to spit straight off the cuff, at least to him.

His interruption intruded upon her thoughts of which t-shirt of his she was going to snaffle and so she moved the hoof on his nose down to his mouth to muffle him.

“Shh, shh. Too much talking.”

“But you’re the one-” he said around the hoof, only to have it press more firmly.

“Shhhhh,” she hissed, making sure he’d got the message and had quietened his word-hole before leaning down and giving him a nice, big, ‘Talking time is over’ smooch. It seemed to get the point across as he didn’t say anything afterwards. Was just smiling like he’d won something.

“Glad we agree,” she said, wriggling some more (she really was a wriggler) so she could lay herself down on top of him, head tucked in under his chin, tail swished across his lower portions and his arms pulled supportively across her.

They stayed like this for some time.

As well they should have.

Comments ( 50 )

Sorry to hear the day was dreadful, but glad fluff sustained you. I think it often does the same for me. n_n

I love that whoever this pretty pony lady is was kept nondescript
so they could technically be anyone you wish
like Celestia
or Twilight
or Kerfuffle if really want it to

11010290
Sometimes we just need to think comfy, happy thoughts. Or I do, at least. And they often look like this.

11010360
With a double f for the fuff.

Applicability! Universality!

If I could get paid to lay in bed all day and read happy fluff like this I'd be set for life!

Yeah, there's times where you just need to stay in bed. Having somebody to stay in bed with you and snuggle is always a bonus.

Also, to get in the mood for this story, I played this song while I read:

For some reason, this has me wondering how ponies arrange their bed. Would pegasi tend to nest and make a ring of pillows/blankets? Would earth ponies burrow under a pile like a cat hiding in the laundry? (I tend to do both with multiple bodypilows and a light blanket)

11010360
I didn't even realize the pony wasn't described in the story until I saw this comment. It's so often Celestia for these that I just automatically assumed it was her.

11010746
Are you implying that I have a favourite or something?

11010456
Now if only I could get paid to stay in bed and write fluff like this.

...I don't think that'd work very well, honestly.

11010462
Appropriate.

Also, Tracer Bullet, nice.

11010557
I swear I read one of these once where a pegasi made a little blanket nest...

It is a nice little thought experiment because it involves ponies and beds, and these are good things.

Some artfully done and wonderfully relaxing fluff. Lovely work. :)
Also love the narrative flexibility of keeping the pony's identity purposefully ambiguous. Universal appeal in one easy step!

11010829
I actually had someone made up in mind, then realised I didn't need to name names and that since I hate using names that worked out great, and it can be anyone!

I'm a FUCKING GENIUS! Literary masterpiece! Tenouttaten!

11010762
Not as much a favorite as a ball and chain. :trollestia:

11010915
We all have our vices...

11010843
You might even say the character is anonymous!

Ponyladyfriend knows what's up. Listen to the wise mare, if you want to be productive give her snuggles and ear scritches.

11010767

Unicorns are the difficult ones to puzzle out. Not sure how they tend to arrange the bed. As for alicorns, well, we know they sprawl all over the bed, wiggling and shifting till everyone else is left clinging to a sliver at the teetering edge of disaster-- owners with large dogs that hog "share" the bed know this scenario.

This is beautiful.

Thank you, for writing this.

This… this is art.

Pleasant. A fine track for self-soothing thoughts to run down.

11010746

The pony is allegedly colorful, implying it is specifically not Celestia. I trust you will find this as shocking as I do.

11011297
But she has a color too. Her mane is also quite colorful, even though it's usually described as chromatic or multi-hued.

11011176
Damn straight, she knows what's up. She's selling what I wish I could have been buying last week. Hell, today.

11011181
To be fair it's the dog's/alicorn's bed, they're just letting you in it with them.

11011200
It just leaks out, really.

And for a second I was like "That name really rings a bell" then I was like oh yeah, J'Adore.

11010746
11010360
The pony in the story is described as, well, pony sized.
So that would rule out for certain Celestia, Luna and maybe Twilight.
Also the movement and head placing suggest the absence of an horn, so again that would point to either a pegasus or an earth pony.
No wing movement is also indicated, and while absence of evidence is not evidence of absence it is again suggestive of not being a pegasus as pegasi tend to use wings a lot.
Yes... I tend to over-analyze things ^^;;;;

11011405

While this is true, it is specifically a colorful limb that is cited.

11011412

Well, that does toss a spanner in the works. That pony could be anyone! We must redouble our efforts!

This was cutely logical.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

This was nice. Really nice. If I needed it, just to read, then I can only imagine what you needed it for to write it.

Also I'm sorry, Cackling, but you did your best to make the pony non-specific, but really, with you it could only be one: Raven Inkwell

Hope everything has been going well for ya man! Those dastardly crap days suck to encounter, but at least the coffee and fluffy thoughts helped you out well it seems! Here's to much better and brighter days for ya!
Also, I hope I haven't bothered ya or anything, but I just HAD to make a reading of this cute little fluffy fic of yours!

Audio Linky!: https://youtu.be/_okjTqG5gMg

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment in any way!)

11011838
Aha! It's been a while!

Also! 'Mature-ish' content indeed! Pfah!

11011628
Sure. Yes. I know who that is. Yes. Definitely that one.

Comment posted by readsponies deleted Oct 12th, 2021

The Bertrand Russell quote is from Greek Exercises, which he wrote two days after his sixteenth birthday. When he grew up, he wrote In Praise of Idleness. Take from that what you will.

11011960
In Praise of Idleness is a favourite of mine.

That's not a joke, it really is one of my favourites of his. Got some great lines in it. Like that one about getting money being good but spending money being bad and this being absurd, like saying keys are good but keyholes are bad.

Class.

11011408

Sure sure, this is what Celestia always says when confronted in someone else's bed she annexes to the Royal Castle for the technicalities of Equestrian law. Sneaky ponies.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

11011860
The unicorn that is Celesita's aid in several episodes.

I like that this was fluffy and adorable, but their easy familiarity and acceptance of each other made this especially enjoyable. I think I needed this, too.

... delightful escapism as always. Also, "word hole" lol:rainbowlaugh:

Sorry that this was brought about as a result of a bad day and even worse coffee. I hope that your day was improved at least somewhat by thoughts of snuggling with ponies :twilightsmile:.

Fluff is the meaning of life. Epic, heroic and transcendent stuff are just the fillers.

This was a cute fic.

Made me smile.

Pony speaks truth - weekends are for snuggling. Well, so are weekdays, but moreso weekends.

I am absolutely jealous of this anon, and I'm okay with that. Exactly the fluff I needed.

Now that's what i like to see randomly:twilightsmile: However i was reading this while being heavily sleep deprived, i stayed up to 3-4am the last 10 days and now the tribute is coming to get me because i've overslept everyday even tho i woke up early and then went back to sleep more:raritycry:HELPPPP:applecry:

Login or register to comment