• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 7,857 Views, 1,149 Comments

Prevention - Mind Matter



Twilight is attacked by a familiar stranger, who has a terrifying tale behind him.

  • ...
55
 1,149
 7,857

Placations

As Twilight had come to expect, Applejack was the first to respond. She gave the winged unicorn a look, up and down, her eyes shifting from horror to cautious suspicion. Twilight was mildly confused by that; after all, she’d said she wasn’t Dawn. What reason could Applejack have to be wary of her?

“So...” The farmmare said. Twilight perked her ears and waited for the rest of the sentence, but Applejack appeared content to roll the remaining words around in her mouth. Her jaw opened and closed, and her tongue occasionally ran along her teeth, but no vocalizations were forthcoming. Twilight allowed her fifteen seconds of oral/aural inanity before deciding that that was enough of a chance to freely continue.

“’So…’ what?” The winged unicorn prompted. Applejack blinked.

“So… yer still Twilight?”

“Yes.”

“Twilight Sparkle?”

“Mm’hm.”

“Not Risin’ Dawn? Or any kinda half-Dawn-thingy?”

“Not even a little bit.”

Applejack stared at Twilight for a few more seconds before slapping her hoof to her face.

“Well fuck me sideways with a rusty plowshare…” Twilight, and several of the others, blinked at the curse.

“AJ?” Rainbow asked, her eyes locked on some point on Twilight’s back. The earth pony turned her head to the pegasus, her hoof pressing and rubbing harshly against her brow.

“She’s… tellin’ the truth, fer lack’a a better term. That’s still Twilight. Er, at least, she still thinks’a herself as Twi.”

The unease in the others’ faces shifted. It didn’t abate, nor did it intensify; it just slid between two apparently equally anxiety-inducing foci.

“Is this surprising to you, Applejack?” Twilight asked, rather confused as to the earth pony’s irritation. Her friend gave a shrugging nod.

“Well, if Dawn’d taken y’over it’d explain a few things. Like yer regrowin’ yer wings. An’ yer wantin’ t’kill Celestia.” The farmmare gave a rough sigh. “Ah’d imagine y’couldn’t truthfully call yerself ‘Twilight Sparkle’ if y’d’been taken over by Dawn, though. Which means we all jus’ heard you, Twilight Sparkle, say that y’want t’kill Celestia. An’ that’s rather concernin’, considerin’ that y’said that y’didn’t want t’kill her not ten minutes ago, an’ we blasted y’with th’Elements tryin’ t’get rid’a the thing in yer head that y’said did want t’kill her.” She waved her raised hoof at Twilight as the winged unicorn’s brow furrowed. “Plus, y’know, the wings. Those threw me a bit.”

“I never said that I want to kill Celestia.” Twilight replied, one ear tilted in confusion. One of Applejack’s eyebrows rose, and Twilight gave her another reassuring grin. “I’d love to keep her alive to travel through the proper legal channels and receive an appropriate punishment for her horrific crimes, but I find it incredibly unlikely that she’d be willing to abdicate and submit to a fair trial, or that we’d even be able to arrange a fair trial for her given who she is. Trying to capture her would require an actual fight, which has too much of a risk of failure and would likely cause collateral damage, and that cunt Rising Dawn should be example enough of how horrible trying to gather popular support against her would likely go. So she won’t step down, we can’t make her step down ourselves, and rallying the populace against her has been demonstrated as a really bad idea. I’m not sure what else we can do but take the burden upon ourselves to pop her head like a rotten orange.” Twilight blinked as Fluttershy whimpered. “Probably Luna, too, given that I doubt she’d take Celestia’s death very well. Oh, and Dawn made herself wings because she claimed that she’d made herself an alicorn again; I did so because my back was itchy.”

The horror in everypony’s eyes had been halfway replaced by confusion. Twilight considered this an improvement.

“…alright, sugarcube, let’s jus’ back up a few… thousand… steps or so.” Applejack’s hoof had apparently frozen to her face, given that she had sat down and was now gesturing with her other forehoof. “Why, exactly, d’we need t’get the Princess t’step down or abdicate or die, exactly?”

“Well, it’s not like we can just let her stay in power-“

“Why not? She’s been doin’ fine the last couple millennia or so.”

Twilight stared at the other mare for a few moments before she realized what was wrong. “Oh! OH! You don’t know yet! Oh, no wonder you’re all so freaked out!” Twilight laughed as she swatted herself upside the head. “Faust, I probably sound like I’ve gone completely insane, huh?”

Pinkie, Rainbow, and Applejack nodded rather enthusiastically, while Rarity and Fluttershy were more delayed and subdued. Twilight shook her head.

“Okay, you remember how I told you that Celestia had told me some things, but that I couldn’t tell you about them yet?” She waited for everypony to nod again. “Well I was being stupid. Celestia murdered nearly a thousand ponies and lied about moving the sun.”

More improvement with their expressions; they’d lost every bit of horror and had shifted to complete bafflement.

“Ah… what?”

“Celestia killed or imprisoned anypony that attempted to defy her rule to any degree for two hundred years after she banished Nightmare Moon,” Twilight explained patiently, “and the sun moves by itself.”

The five ponies around her moved past complete bafflement; they looked like they’d just been told that the building blocks of the universe were held together by screaming, hairless primates. Twilight could see their understanding of the world around them shatter behind their eyes, and felt a strong pang of sympathy.

Of course, she’d been alone – worse than alone - when she’d undergone that. They had each other to hold on to, and her to lead them out of it.

Twilight gave them as much time as they needed to recover; she wasn’t sure of the precise time it took, but the light coming through the window didn’t dim, nor did the sky deepen in its red evening hue, so it couldn’t have been too long. When Rarity finally shuddered and started blinking again, Twilight felt it safe to address the group once more.

“So does anypony have any questions, or should we just move to brainstorming-“ she paused as a yellow hoof raised. “Yes, Fluttershy?” The pegasus cringed as Twilight put her eyes on her, but managed to steady herself and speak audibly on the first try.

“I, um, I still don’t see why we have to kill Celestia…”

Twilight blinked. Fluttershy was shaking like a leaf, and her eyes were still half-staring at a very distant point; she had, very clearly, understood and been disturbed by what Twilight had revealed.

And yet she’d still asked ‘why’.

“Wh… what do you mean why?! I’ve already explained why we can’t take her down alive!”

“Well… why do we need to ‘take her down’ at all?” Fluttershy asked, gaining some small degree of strength to her voice. Twilight could feel her eye twitch as she cobbled together a (in her view unnecessary) justification.

“B-because she needs to be punished for her crimes! We can’t let a lying murderess command the most powerful nation in the world!”

“Twilight…” Applejack started, before glancing at Fluttershy. The pegasus nodded with a small smile, and the earth pony continued with somewhat more confidence. “Ah can’t say that Ah know what y’were taught, but… it’s kinda common knowledge that Celestia’s killed ponies.”

“Excuse me?” Twilight gaped, glancing towards the others to find them nodding. “Y-you all- what- She said that she’d covered them up, she-“

“Woah, woah, there…” Applejack put her hooves up. “Nopony knew about th’whole ‘two-hundred years, one-thousand ponies’ thing. That, that’s new t’us too, sugarcube.” She kept her hooves up until Twilight’s breaths had calmed, and gave the winged unicorn a slight, sympathetic smile. “It ain’t like we definitely knew that she had killed anypony, either, but… thinkin’ about it, it’d’ve been dang hard fer her an’ Luna t’rule as long as they have without havin’ t’crack a few skulls, y’know?”

“No! I didn’t know! I trusted what the histories said, what she told me!” Twilight growled, furious at her own past naivety. “A-and even with that, you can’t be saying that you’re okay with this! Are you?!” Her heart perked up as the other five immediately shook their heads, Fluttershy and Pinkie gaining rather disgusted looks.

“No, Twilight, we are not ‘okay’ with that.” Fluttershy confirmed. Then her face softened, and she rolled her shoulders uncomfortably. “But, i-if it started right after Nightmare Moon, then I can’t imagine that she was in a very good state of mind, and once word got out about the… the first deaths, then I think that the only ponies who would be willing to speak or act out would be the ones who were willing to die. N-not that that makes killing them okay, but…”

But it means she wasn’t jus’ killin’ folks willy-nilly. An’ she stopped, probably ‘cause she realized how evil she was bein’.” Applejack was grimacing when Twilight put her eyes over her. “Ah mean, like Fluttershy said, this ain’t something we’re okay with. But it’s literally ancient history, an’ she’s clearly changed in th’eight-hundred years between then an’ now. Ah’d bet the farm that she’s hidden what happened ‘cause’a how horrible she feels about it.”

Twilight gritted her teeth as Applejack repeated one of Celestia’s excuses. “Do you think we should just accept it, then? Let her go unpunished?”

“Jus’ ‘cause we know about some a’her dirty laundry don’t change who she is. She ain’t a different pony from who she was yesterday, an’ yesterday she was a kind, lovin’, carin’ Princess.” The earth pony shrugged. Twilight took a few breaths.

“She wouldn’t be a Princess if she hadn’t lied about the sun! Care to excuse that?” The winged unicorn gained a slight smile as Applejack’s mouth thinned.

“I don’t think we need to.” Twilight’s eyes shot back to Fluttershy, her smile vanishing. “E-even if the sun does move on its own, that doesn’t mean the Princess can’t control it. She made it come back above the horizon for a minute or so just a little while ago, so really, the only thing she might’ve lied about was her needing to raise and lower it.” Fluttershy flicked an ear at the look on Twilight’s face. “Um, did she ever tell you that she did?”

“…she let me believe it.” The winged unicorn ground out. Fluttershy and Applejack glanced at each other, but Twilight spoke before either could address her. “She let all of us believe it! Led everypony on, let us all think that our lives, the lives of everyone in the world, hinged on her remaining alive and strong enough to raise and lower the sun every morning!”

“I’m sure she had a good reason-“

“The only reason she could have had is keeping herself in power, over us and the rest of the world! The unicorns would never have accepted her rule if she and Luna hadn’t stolen the sun and moon from them, and I doubt that the earth ponies or pegasi would have either! Every treaty made with other nations up until about a hundred years ago has been based around appeasing her in order to keep her from deciding to just not move the sun, and even if she’s been replacing those, it’s only to make the ‘please-don’t-kill-us’ clause implicit rather than ex-“

“The unicorns.”

Twilight blinked as Applejack spoke. The latter mare’s voice was quiet, almost breathy, but she stared at Twilight with the light of dawning comprehension behind her eyes.

“What?”

“T-th’damned unicorns! How th’buck did Celestia take the sun from them if it moves by itself? The whole reason th’other two tribes even tolerated them was ‘cause they supposedly kept the sun an’ moon movin’, but if they do that on their own then the unicorns weren’t doin’ anythin’!”

“…Celestia did mention that the unicorns had never been needed for the sun’s movement...” Twilight admitted. Applejack’s gaze sharpened.

“So there y’go! They didn’t submit t’her ‘cause she took the sun, they submitted ‘cause she was actually able to control it! They knew the jig was up, they knew that they wouldn’t be able t’just keep leechin’ off the ponies who were actually doin’ things!” Applejack started laughing under her breath, her head slowly shaking back and forth, before she put her gaze on Twilight. “There’s yer excuse fer Celestia lyin’ about the sun, Twi.”

The winged unicorn’s brow furrowed. “Applejack, what in Faust’s name are you talking about? How does the unicorns lying about moving the sun excuse Celestia doing the same? Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

It was Fluttershy who responded. “Twilight, think about it. If Celestia hadn’t kept up the lie… if the other tribes had found out that the unicorns had been taking food for themselves without doing anything to earn it like the pegasi or earth ponies were…”

“Then the Princesses’d probably be th’only ponies with horns left alive.” Applejack allowed a few moments for her words to sink in. “An’ even if the pegasi an’ the earth ponies didn’t wipe out the unicorns, if Celestia stopped ‘em or somethin’ else happened… there sure wouldn’t be harmony between th’tribes. It’d be back t’what it was pre-unification, ‘cept the pegasi an’ earth ponies’d be gangin’ up on the unicorns the entire time, an’ they wouldn’t have t’worry about the sun not comin’ up one day.” She tilted her ear as Twilight’s face darkened. “That make sense, sugarcube?”

Twilight didn’t respond. If she did, she’d have to tell the truth: It did make sense. Celestia would have wanted to keep everything calm between the tribes, if only to lessen the risk to her rule that that instability would cause. She would have maintained the lie to keep the unicorns safe, and by the time the tribes had become too integrated for such a revelation to stir too much controversy, the first treaties with the other nations would have been written up, and it would have become safer for everypony to simply keep it going.

But she couldn’t accept it, because it was an excuse for Celestia’s lies.

But she could accept it, because lying had probably been the best option that Celestia was aware of.

But she couldn’t.

But she had to.

Twilight’s head hurt.

She felt her magic sputter as a sudden bolt of agony ripped her brain in half; the barriers around the door and windows fell as she raised her hooves and knitted her brow to try to keep her head from splitting open. She could hear the pain, an ethereal screaming that drowned out any sound anypony might have been making, and when she closed her eyes she saw red rather than black.

Twilight couldn’t tell how long it took for the pain to stop, but it ceased as suddenly as it had begun, taking with it the screaming in her ears and the blood behind her eyelids. Her eyes shot open, finding orange hooves less than a pace away from her, and she raked her gaze upwards to meet a pair of fretting green eyes.

“Twilight? You-“

“No.” Twilight’s voice was raw. Applejack blinked, her brow furrowing, but Twilight continued before she could respond. “I get it. It makes sense. But no, no no no, I can’t accept it. Can’t.

Applejack glanced to her side. Twilight tried to follow, but found her hoof blocking her view, and Applejack had returned her gaze to the winged unicorn by the time the latter had put said hoof back on the floor.

“Okay, sugarcube, that’s fine. Ah ain’t gonna try an’ make ya.” The orange mare’s voice was carefully calm. Twilight felt her hackles rise at the affected tone. “Would ya mind if Ah asked why, though? Y’said it makes sense, so Ah ain’t quite sure why y’‘can’t accept’ it.”

“Because I can’t. It’s an excuse. I can’t accept excuses. If I do I’ll be Dawn.”

Applejack stiffened, her eyes widening slightly in alarm before she got them back under control. “Okay, then… can Ah ask why y’think that, sugarcube?”

“Dawn told me.” Applejack stiffened further, the muscles and tendons under her skin visibly tense. Twilight shook her head. “Doesn’t matter right now. Excuses don’t matter. Reasons don’t matter.” She locked eyes with the farmmare. “You know what has to happen.”

Something seemed to solidify behind Applejack’s eyes. “Yeah, Twilight. Ah do.”

Then she spun around and bucked Twilight in the chest.

The winged unicorn barely had time to register what had happened before something slammed into her from the side. She hit the floor hard, the impact forcing out what little air she’d managed to keep in her lungs after Applejack’s sudden strike. A set of hooves wrapped around her barrel, the pony they were attached to crushing herself (and Twilight’s wings) to Twilight’s back. Applejack started shouting above the ringing in Twilight’s ears as the winged unicorn struggled for breath, telling someone to ‘get them out’, before she too threw herself on Twilight; the farmmare’s ever-present rope began rapidly wrapping around Twilight’s forehooves as she used her body weight to help hold the winded mare to the floor.

Unfortunately for her, the former Princess was more than strong enough to throw her off.

Twilight’s horn glowed as she poured magic through it. She caught both of the mares constraining her in rough grips, favouring raw panicked power over her usual controlled methods; Applejack’s weight launched upwards, the rope around Twilight’s hooves briefly lifting with her before falling loosely back down, while the other mare was pried off and thrown bodily away. Twilight could feel vibrations from the impact as Applejack fell back to the floor, but was too focused on trying to breathe again to devote much concern to the farmmare. After a half-minute of struggle, her barrel finally allowed itself to expand again, and Twilight felt her panic die as she was finally able to draw in air once more. She took a few minutes to simply lay there and exult in the ability to breathe, giving her mind a chance to go over what the buck had just happened.

She slowly stood, feeling some light aches from the several hits she’d just taken, before she glanced around for her two assaulters. Applejack laid sprawled out just over a metre away, unconscious and drawing shallow breaths as a gash on her forehead leaked blood into her mane. Rainbow Dash was slumped near the door, a small dent in the wall above her; she seemed to have been knocked out as well, a slow expansion and contraction of her barrel being her only visible movement. Twilight drew in a few more lungfuls of air, the organs still getting used to the rhythm again, when a rough voice stopped both her breath and her heart.

“Well.” Broken Shield said, glaring down at her from the loft. “I can’t really say that this is a surprise…”

Author's Note:

And here's 52.

I honestly didn't expect this particular scene to run as long as it did - I figured that it was going to take up 1500-2000 words at most, and the latter half of the chapter would be a scene between Broken and Twilight. With the length here, I can afford to put the Broken vs Twilight part onto the start of the next chapter, where it'll probably flow better. So yay.

Apologies for the series of cliffhangers, but we're in the climax and, well, I have to keep the tensions up between chapters somehow. At least I didn't leave you hanging too long on this one! :pinkiecrazy:

Onwards to 53 of 55!