• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 7,855 Views, 1,149 Comments

Prevention - Mind Matter



Twilight is attacked by a familiar stranger, who has a terrifying tale behind him.

  • ...
55
 1,149
 7,855

Pseudologue

There was a period of time in which nopony moved. Fourteen pairs of eyes locked frozen onto the pinto stallion currently occupying a space against the wall behind Twilight Sparkle. He met each gaze evenly, not blinking as Rarity stood, took several steps away, and vomited. The last eyes he met were Twilight’s, and it was she who broke the silence of voice.

“Did… you… was he…”

“I am unsure as to your attempted inquiry, Milady.”

“Was he telling the truth?” She finally choked out. Applejack shivered, getting up and moving to hold Rarity.

“As I have said before, Milady, Broken’s rec-“

“ANSWER ME!” Twilight roared. Everyone but Pip jumped at the anger in her voice, including her, surprised at how rapidly her voice had returned. Shining whispered something to the guards, who nodded and quickly marched to the end of the hall, and then whispered something to Celestia, who nodded and whispered something back. Pip coughed before speaking.

“Yes and no, Milady.”

“Explain. Now.” Twilight’s voice was tense, even as she tried to control it.

“Broken’s depictions of events was inaccurate in the details, but generally truthful, Milady.”

“Keep going.”

Pip inhaled. “He was inaccurate in his claim that the CMFM members were locked in the basement and had the burning building collapse on them. The majority of the CMFM were arrested on suspicion of aiding terrorism; some were prosecuted and sent to the labour and education camps, others volunteered to join the Guard as recompense for their actions. About eight of the seventy CMFM members were officially unaccounted for, and it is believed that they were the ponies in the basement with the gryphons. I hasten to mention that unjustified violent action against guardsponies, which everypony in the basement was guilty of based upon the bodies of the guards that were recovered, is an offence punished by death no matter the pony.” Pip took in another breath. “He was also inaccurate in his depiction of Scootaloo’s execution.”

“So you didn’t… do… what he said you did?”

“Not as such, Milady. To execute a pony in such a brutal manner is highly impractical. Scootaloo was killed by my hoof severing her spinal cord long before the building was set aflame. However, Broken’s depiction of the actions taken upon Scootaloo’s body were accurate, save for the breaking of her legs.”

“So you did… you did tear out her wings, just… after she was dead?” Twilight asked. Pip nodded. “Why?

“Your Ladyship had ordered me to make an example of her for the other groups that would aid terrorists and oppose democracy and freedom, Milady. It seemed effective; ninety-five of the one-hundred eight registered resistance groups disbanded within a month.”

“What the BUCK?!” Applejack yelled. Twilight turned to her in surprise.

“AJ?”

The earth pony turned, placing a hoof on the side of her head. “They’re both tellin’ the truth, Twi. Pip had seventy foals burned, but he had most of them arrested instead, an’ Scootaloo had her wings ripped off before she was dead an’ after she was dead an-“ The farmer gritted her teeth, growling as she rubbed her head. “It don’t make sense, it can’t have worked like that, but neither of them is lyin’, Twi! It’s really messing me up, here!”

“I have an idea.” Rainbow spoke up. The group’s focus shifted to her. “Just hold on a bit with me here, but what if they are both right? What if both what Pip said and what Broken said actually happened?”

“Rainbow, what are you-“

“Oh! Oooooooh! I get it!” Pinkie interrupted. “Broken came here from one timeline thingy and Pip came here from another timeline thingy!”

Applejack, Twilight, and everypony else stared at the pair, eyes somehow becoming wider. Pip sneezed.

“That is, based on the current information, a reasonable assumption, Lady Thalia, but Broken and I were sent back to this timeline by the same pony, from the same timeline. I was, in point of fact, deliberately sent back in order to retard his efforts to kill her Ladyship in the ‘past’. The possibility that I would somehow appear within minutes and kilometres of his arrival, in the same timeline, if launched by an independent source, is infinitesimally small.”

Pinkie and Rainbow both deflated slightly. “What’s your explanation, then?” Rainbow asked sullenly.

“Simple. Broken’s injuries and irrational hatred of Lady Dawn’s free and democratic governance have likely contributed to a corruption in his memory of events pertaining to the Revolution. It is probable that his memory of the CMFM raid is absent, and that he has invented memories using general knowledge from the incident in order to overcome this perceived weakness, convincing himself that the falsehoods he claimed to have happened were factually accurate in order to justify his crusade against harmony and freedom. Due to this, he would more than likely come across as telling the truth when in fact stating fabrications.”

The Princesses, Twilight, Shining, Spike, and the doctor began slowly nodding at Pip’s explanation. Everypony else gave him blank stares.

“Can you repeat that?” Rainbow asked. Twilight spoke before Pip.

“He said that Broken probably made up fake memories and convinced himself that they were real.”

“Oh. Right, that makes total sense…” Rainbow rolled her eyes. Twilight returned the focus to Pip.

“But how do we know that you haven’t done the same thing, convinced yourself that Dawn never did anything wrong when she was actually doing horrible things like what Broken said she did?” She asked. Pip blinked.

“Because her Ladyship never-“

“AH-AH-AH!” Twilight cut him off. “When you’re talking with us, Pip, just try pretending that Dawn isn’t infallible. It might do you some good. Try to convince us that your account is the more accurate one without just saying ‘Dawn said so’.”

Pip blinked again. “As you say, Milady. I-”

“Wait!” Twilight spoke up again. “I want you to swear to me that you’re going by your own memories only. Nothing of what Dawn said happened that you cannot verify from a source other than Dawn.”

“I have never intended to deliver you false information, Milady.”

“Then you should have no problem swearing an oath that ensures that you don’t, should you?”

“Of course not, Milady.” Pip took a breath. “I hereby swear upon my duty as First Guard, the greatness of Equestria, the power of self-determination, the grace, honour, and leadership of her Ladyship Theia Rising Dawn, that I shall only give information that has been demonstrated to be truthful and accurate by a source other than her Ladyship Theia Rising Dawn.”

Twilight nodded. “Thank you, Pip. Now go on.”

Pip nodded back. “Thank you, Milady. While I cannot say that I am a completely unbiased source, I endeavour to be more accurate to reality than Broken Shield has been. Firstly, I would like to point out that Broken Shield would have been unable to observe the events at the CMFMHQ, due to the massive security presence that was only momentarily overcome by a sudden, direct attack. There were no vantage points from which Broken could have determined the presence – or lack of presence – of police carriages. His charge down the street towards our location had his focus largely on the guardsponies he was attacking. After his fleeing the scene, every nearby building was combed, magic trails searched – there was no rebel presence within several kilometres.

“As such, it is impossible that he would have been able to gain information on the CMFM events except by third-hoof knowledge, through which it would have likely been greatly distorted before even entering his damaged mind. As well, the idea that all seventy members of the CMFM were burned to death in the basement, that no gryphons were present, and by extension that no guards were killed, directly flies in the face of public record. Guardspony records demonstrate the loss of life of the Risen Guard Second Lane, Sergeant Double Point, Private Stal-“

“We don’t need the names, Pip.” Twilight interrupted.

“My apologies, Milady. As I was saying, guardspony records for that day specify that a number of guards were killed in attempted breaches of the basement’s main room, as well as the count of those killed in the building’s collapse. There were eight pony bodies removed from the rubble, as well as eleven gryphons and twenty gryphon eggs – not the seventy ponies that Broken Shield claimed.

"Guardspony records also specify the prosecution of those ponies of the CMFM old enough to be held legally accountable for aiding terrorist actions, the processing of those ponies too young to be held criminally accountable into orphanage and foster care placements, which accounted for forty-eight of the sixty-two arrested, and other such documentation. Some of the older members volunteered to join the Guard rather than serve time in labour and education camps, and guardspony records had their identification and status as former CMFM members on file. Broken Shield himself killed several of them during a raid on a Ponyville Guard station.”

“It’s fine that you claim those records to exist, Pip, but we cannot access them here.” Celestia said. Pip nodded.

“I am well aware of the limitations of information forced by the situation, Princess. However, as her Ladyship has obtained my oath to informational accuracy, I would hope that you would judge the information I am passing on as more likely to be more accurate than Broken Shield’s claims.” Pip took in a breath.

“Bringing me to my second point. As your knowledge of the events of what could be called ‘the future’ are based solely on Broken Shield’s and now my claims, a certain amount of personal judgement on the likelihood of the occurring events is necessary. Which of the two claims sounds more reasonable? That seventy foals were burned to death and their leader forced to watch while she was put through an extremely brutal and painful torture? Or that eight ponies and a group of non-ponies who had murdered guardsponies were themselves killed after their leader was painlessly and efficiently executed, with the non-violent suspects simply arrested and put through proper legal channels? Which of the two claims sounds less like a sensationalist tabloid and more like realistic, factual information? Which of the two events sounds more likely for her Ladyship Twilight Sparkle to have ordered, in accordance with the pony that you have known for at least several years if not decades?”

Pip’s entire speech had been done without inflection or emotion, sounding to Twilight like an effort to reinforce its message that it was simply fact without embellishment. She took this with a grain of salt – Pip had used the same voice when talking about anything, including espousing ‘equine superiority’.

“Dawn was not necessarily the same pony that Twilight is today…” Celestia spoke again.

“I am aware, Princess, but surely you in your millennia of experience and observation can determine easily which of these two events is more likely to have occurred in reality?”

The Solar Princess nodded. “I can, Pip. You have very strongly made your case. But personal conjecture is not necessarily accurate.”

“Again, I am aware of the irrevocable limitations placed on your knowledge, Princess. ‘Personal conjecture’ is the only choice available to you that does not involve actually reading our memories.”

There was silence for a time after this. The doctor excused himself into Broken’s room “To make sure the bloody subplot didn’t break anything else trying to move without magic”, in his own words. Everpony else wore looks of silent contemplation.

Everypony except Applejack. The farmpony looked around the group with increasingly angry eyes.

“Oh, don’t tell me you all are just gonna accept this!” She finally yelled. “Sure, he might be ‘more accurate’ than Broken, but his version still has him kill eight foals and a dozen other intelligent bein’s!”

Pip spoke up. “The number of gryphons killed in the fire was one less than a dozen-“

“Oh grease it and shove it up yer plothole!” She snapped at the stalwart stallion. “So y’killed nineteen instead of twenty! Big flyin’ whoop! Ah’m guessin’ by the eggs that not all of the gryphons were full grown either, were they?”

“The probable ages of the ponies in the basement ranged between fourteen and sixteen. The gryphons were for the most part either adults or nearly full grown, with one fledgling and two adolescents.”

“Great! So yer willin’ t’admit t’murderin’ eleven young folks, then? Or orderin’ their killin’?”

“As I said before, every being in the basement was determined to have contributed to the murder of at least six guardsponies, counting only those killed attempting to enter the basement. Killing anypony without their directly attempting to kill you is a death-penalty offence.”

“How the buck can eleven CHILDREN be counted under that law?!” Applejack roared. Pip blinked.

“After age fourteen, a pony can be tried as an adult if their crime is considered serious enough. This is true even in modern Equestria.” Pip and Applejack both glanced at Celestia, who nodded. “As First Guard of the Revolution, I was given the authority to serve as judge, jury, and, if need be, executioner for crimes I bore witness to, similar to the power the Captain of the Royal Guard possesses. This power was not appointed, as his was, but instead voted upon and determined an acceptable power to be given to the station.”

“That is true.” Shining gave a sorry glance at Applejack. “If somepony performs a crime in front of me, I’m allowed to pass reasonable judgement on them. I’m supposed to put it through the courts like a regular guard, but if the crime’s something like ‘attempted murder of a Princess’, well…” he shrugged. “That doesn’t mean I’ve killed anypony, but the option is technically there.”

“Y’can’t’ve just known that everypony down there wanted t’kill those guards…” Applejack was still furious, but said fury was somewhat muted.

“Their refusal to surrender themselves to proper legal process, as was offered before the attempted basement breach, provided a convincing enough evidence of their guilt, Applejack.”

“An’ how d’you know that they were even offered a way out?”

“Simple. I sent a Risen Guard down to aid in the breach. If she herself did not make the offer, then she would have ensured that somepony did. Anypony found to have assaulted the basement without first offering a peaceful option of arrest would have been summarily executed for fifth degree protocol violation.”

“An’… an’ the gryphons?”

“The gryphons were unregistered non-ponies living in a noted resistance group’s headquarters. Even had they not been killed in the building’s collapse, they would likely have all been destroyed as dangerous animals, befitting their status.”

“Pip, we talked about this…” Twilight warned.

“Milady, the conversation that we had yesterday introduced me to the knowledge that non-ponies can occasionally overcome natural pony superiority. I have not yet received any evidence that points towards creatures such as gryphons, Diamond Dogs, minotaurs, etcetera, to be regularly on par with ponies, or even the lesser equines, in any measure of worth. While some non-pony species are stronger by nature, they are slaves to their animalistic instincts, universally less intelligent and more aggressive, unable to rise from the dirt that they spawned in. Pony superiority can easily be determined by comparing Equestria’s standard of living, technological and scientific advancement, political stability, inherent peacefulness, and other such measurements to the universally horrible conditions of Gryphonia and Draconia.”

Applejack stared at the stallion, wide eyed, as he finished his calmly vitriolic speech. She opened her jaw, but all that came out was a squeal of air. The farmmare blinked several times before sitting down heavily, placing her hooves on the sides of her head, and leaning into Rarity. Luna stepped forward.

“Whether or not you were justified in your ordering their deaths, I still do not view the initial attack on the… Cutie Mark Freedom Movement, was it? The initial attack was not adequately justified.”

“The group was operating as a front in Ponyville for two known violent terrorist groups, the Loyalists and the Shadowbolts. The raid was an attempt to destroy their capability to aid violent action against civilians and to gather evidence that could be used to inarguably demonstrate their guilt. Both goals were achieved.”

“Even if that is true, I still do not view such harsh action as necessary against foals, Pip…”

The stallion tilted his head. “Princess, I feel the need to remind you that I am currently fifteen years old chronologically. I led the raid at the age of twelve. The vast majority of Risen Guards were inducted and Raised between the ages of eight and thirteen, and it was very common for guardsponies that fell in the line of duty to be killed by foal members of terrorist organizations. A pony’s age does not lessen their capability for heroics or for villainy.”

“Is that how you view the conflict, Pip? Between heroes and villains?”

“Of course. The good ponies are those who support her Ladyship, and the bad ponies are the ponies who don’t, or the ponies her Ladyship says are bad. Any definition of friend or foe beyond those points is irrelevant to my occupation.”

Luna stepped back, nodding as if something she had been wondering had suddenly had the answer presented. Celestia cleared her throat.

“There are two terms in your explanation that I am curious about, Pip. Raising and… stepping, was it?”

The stallion nodded. “Raising is the process in which Risen Guards are created; a pony who has undergone training for a period of minimum six months takes an oath to faithfully and unquestioningly serve her Ladyship and Equestria, unto and past death. This pony is then Raised; they are granted the physiology and mental capacity of an adult pony of approximately twenty to twenty-five years of age, as well as a restriction on mental processes such as emotion that may lead to irrational decisions. Orphaned foals were often encouraged to enter Risen training to allow them to contribute to Equestrian society, though the training was entirely voluntary and could be backed out of at any time without repercussions.

Stepping is the term used for my ability to move extremely quickly; another term is ‘flash stepping’, due to the common misconception that it allows for faster-than-light movement. The technique was taught to all Risen earth ponies by Lady Thalia.”

“Just the earth ponies?” Celestia inquired. “Why not the pegasi or unicorns?”

“Two reasons, Princess. The first is that neither pegasi nor unicorns have the proper skeletal or muscular structure to properly step without causing extreme damage to their bodies. One unicorn who was taught it lost both hind legs halfway through his two-metre step; the muscles and joints all catastrophically failed when put under the strain required. In earth ponies, our naturally-stronger body tissue structure appears to be better capable to handle the rapid movement and extreme shifts in muscular tension.” Pip took a breath. “The second reason is a matter of tribal equality. Her Ladyship believed that earth ponies needed a means of transportation unique to our tribe, as the unicorns have with teleportation and the pegasi with flight. In that way, her Ladyship ensured that there was another less reason for tribalists to view any tribe as inherently inferior or superior to any other tribe.”

“I see. You mentioned that Risen Guards are often orphans, between eight and thirteen years old?”

“That is correct.”

“So you have no objections to the use of foals as soldiers? Placing them in dangerous conditions, forcing them, apparently often, to kill other beings?”

“Again, Princess, I myself would be considered by age as a foal during most of the Revolution, and I am still not yet an adult. Yet, should you ask the doctor that has attended Broken Shield, he would likely put my physical age at around twenty or twenty-five, a decade older than what I am chronologically. Her Ladyship took great effort to ensure that no foals were entered into war situations intentionally; Risen Guards are simply ponies that grew up very quickly.”

“Thank you, Pip. I must say, you are remarkably open for a pony supposedly our enemy.” Celestia gave a light laugh.

“I am still opposed to your oppressive regime, Princess. Her Ladyship has ordered that I maintain civility with you, and in any case I do not intend for you to be able to effectively utilize this information against the Revolution before I kill you.”

Any tension that had been lost during Pip’s explanation very quickly returned at the last three words. Silence returned as ponies shifted, some to further their distance from Pip and others to better keep an eye on him. Twilight brought her hoof up to rub between her eyes. Broken’s door opened.

“We done now? Good. Waiting for a good few wasted minutes in there.” The doctor squeezed out from behind the door, closing it quietly. At the looks on everypony’s face, he appeared to go through several possible conversations in his head before discarding them. “Right. So, ‘Broken Shield’ is currently sleeping. I’m going to get him on a high energy intake diet for the next three days or so, just so we can heal the most threatening things wrong with him. He’s also going to need a good… oh, twenty or so hours of sleep a day.” The doctor flicked a glance at Celestia before returning his eyes to the clipboard. “Essentially, all of you need to leave now and stay the hay away from him for four or five days. Ah-ah!” He held a hoof up, cutting off Twilight’s protest. “Please, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t actually make me invoke patient’s rights privileges to get a restraining order on you for him. I’m not enough of an idiot to not recognize that wherever you and your friends go, things happen. And things happening is the exact opposite of what this patient, or any patient here, needs right now. So kindly go bake a giant cake, or help solve a diplomatic crisis, or save Equestria from an unspeakable evil for the, what, fifth time? I don’t give a damn. Just keep it the buck away from my hospital.”

Twilight and Shining both looked like they were going to protest, but Celestia raised a hoof. She stood, taking a few steps down towards the exit. “I believe that we can afford Broken Shield some time to recuperate, can we not?” Twilight reluctantly nodded. “Good. So let’s get out of the good doctor’s mane, shall we?”

As everypony stood, the doctor spoke again. “Don’t think I’ve forgotten your condition, Princess. You have fifty-six minutes of being up and about before I strap you into bed and start reading you The Complete Works of Soft Dreams.

Celestia tripped, darkly muttering what almost sounded like words. Luna snorted and began giggling, but the laughs sounded slightly odd to Twilight. The rest of the ponies (and Spike) followed the Princesses, Rarity and Applejack leaning on each other for support. Behind them, the doctor shook his head and walked down the hall in the opposite direction.

Behind him, Shining slipped into Broken’s room.



Broken Shield lay with his back to the door. He despised the depravation of sight, but he could hear well enough, and if he looked asleep-

Clik creee

Well, speak of Tartarus…

Broken maintained his façade as the pony took slow steps towards his cot. He twitched slightly, groaned, and shifted a small amount. Broken felt the pony come up behind him.

“I know you’re awake.”

Broken didn’t change his actions; slow breathing, occasional twitch. Shining snorted.

“Fine.” Shining took a breath before continuing. “I, personally, think that you’re a lying sack of pony-processed hay. Pip’s… just bucking insane, I guess. I have no doubt that my sister and your Dawn – the one you saw, the one he saw, whichever one of you isn’t lying - are separate ponies. But…” Another breath. A dull thump sounded as a wrapped object dropped onto Broken’s bedside table. “I have a duty to protect Equestria. Every claim must be investigated, every threat recognized…

“Watch yourself from now on.” Shining turned to leave, adding on a final point. “I need to get back to Cadance. This won’t help you use magic again, that’s the Princ-“

Broken’s eye shot open. “Wait!” Broken hissed. “Is Cadance sick right now?” Shining’s ear tilted back.

“How the buck did you know that? I wasn’t even near the door, and you were unconscious!”

Broken ignored him. “Alicorns don’t get sick, boy. Cadance only ever got ill twice that I know of – once before the wedding, and once when she was carrying Dazzle.”

Shining stared at him in confusion for a moment. Then the gears clicked.

“She… dear Faust, she’s… we’re…”

Broken began muttering, apparently having lost notice of his young double. “Three years, four months, Three years, four months, three years, four months…”

Broken began to laugh, tears running down his face as he repeated himself, not caring that Shining had turned and fled from the room. He laughed harder and harder, until his breath came in gasps and left in retches. He took a moment to calm himself, and in the clarity remembered Shining’s package. He turned his head to look at the cloth-wrapped item, waiting a moment before grabbing the package with his hoof and unwrapping it.

Broken began to laugh again as his horn was returned to him.

Author's Note:

Chapter 20. Well then.

I found two things here; I really like writing Pip and any time he's given significant focus the story turns into gigantic bars of dialogue. And I really like writing the doctor's dialogue, though I still haven't found a way to name him yet (nor what TO name him).

I have massive exams coming up for the next month, but given this chapter's fairly short length I actually managed to build up a buffer. 21's fairly well along, so hopefully I won't need to delay updates.

With (last) chapter, this story is actually long enough to become a publishable novel, and I'm nowhere near done. For my sanity I hope I can end it before it starts rivaling Fallout Equestria in tree-killing ability. That said, I thank my readers for being bloody awesome in keeping me focussed on this one thing for this long.

Hopefully I explained a few things with this one. There are a few others that I wanted to get, but that'll have to wait for 21.