• Published 9th Oct 2021
  • 1,775 Views, 20 Comments

Sproutscout - milesprower06



As Maretime Bay, and all of Equestria, begins to reunify and bring more open minds to other races, Sprout decides to try and get closer to the one mare who helped make it all happen.

  • ...
11
 20
 1,775

Something On His Mind

"Something on your mind, deputy? You seem distracted," Sheriff Hitch told his underling as they walked together out of the Maretime Bay Sheriff's Department.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. It's been an interesting couple of weeks, that's for sure," Sprout replied as they stepped out into the evening air.

"Yup, I'm guessing Maretime Bay is going to go through quite a few changes. Not to mention quite a few traffic jams as CanterLogic pulls up all of those unicorn capture pads. Then we'll have to patch over all those holes," Hitch said as he turned to put the key in the door and gave it one whole turn, locking the dimmed office up for the evening.

"Hey Hitch? I need some advice," Sprout said as Hitch removed the key and turned back to the street intersection.

"Oh? About what?" Hitch asked as he deposited the front door key into his saddlebag.

"Well, how do you start talking to a mare? Like, one that you're interested in?" Sprout said, his red cheeks getting a bit of a pink tint to them as his gaze fell to the ground.

"Oh, so you need dating advice, eh? Not sure how much help I can be there, Sprout. Haven't really been making much of an effort in that department myself," Maretime Bay's sheriff replied.

Sprout deadpanned at that response. As if Hitch even needed to put in an effort with that calendar that he had put out at the end of last year. Did he seriously not see all the mares practically tripping over their hooves as they stared longingly at him on the walk into work each morning?

"So who is she? Do I know her?" Hitch asked.

"Who doesn't know you in this town, boss? And nice try, but I don't want you to try to get to her first," Sprout told him.

"Come on now, I wouldn't do that to you, Sprout, even after everything that's happened. But fine, if you don't want me to know, I'll go ahead and respect that. It's not like I've got my eye on anypony anyways. So, I mean, the most important part is to be yourself. If you like this girl and you want her to like you, you shouldn't put on any kind of mask or facade. Show her who you really are," the suave stallion told him.

"Uh, honestly, Hitch, I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. I mean, most of Maretime Bay is currently changing who they really are, myself most of all," Sprout countered. The memories of being the ringleader in their 15-minute warpath was already unpleasant to him, and he figured that was a good thing; it showed he was already changing mentally, and getting rid of years worth of racial bias.

"Well, in that case, without specifics, which I'm okay with, just tell her how you really feel, and mentally embrace the pony that you want to change into. And in these changing times, I'll say to be confident, but be ready to accept rejection. Regardless of how you feel, if she doesn't feel the same way, that's where it has to end. Stalking isn't attractive to anypony," Hitch told him matter-of-factly.

Sprout resisted deadpanning again.

'You might want to tell that to half of the mares that ogle you on your patrol routes every single day there, boss,' he thought to himself. Heck, some of the fan mail that he received at the station every week almost certainly qualified as stalking.

"So, you gonna go home and practice in front of a mirror or something?" Hitch told him as he glanced down the street in the direction of his house.

"Nah, if I did that I don't think I'd stop until it was perfect. I'm just gonna make it from the heart, and see what happens," Sprout told him.

"Well, alright then. Best of luck, and I'll see you at work in the morning, deputy," Hitch said, giving him a curt nod before trotting off down the street. Sprout took a deep breath before heading in the opposite direction, towards the coast.

The night air was cool and crisp, and the brightest part of town this time of night was still the CanterLogic factory, even with half of the lights dimmed or off for the reduced third shift that went through the night. It was undergoing heavy restructuring as they had suddenly stopped production of virtually all of their anti-unicorn and pegasus products.

Maretime Bay didn't have much of a nightlife, and almost all of the businesses in town closed as the same time as the precinct closed up for the evening. A few ponies still mingled on the walks and streets, either on their way home or finishing up a late dinner.

He made his way to the southwest outskirts of town, to where Maretime Bay's lighthouse was currently undergoing repairs. The residence of one Sunny Starscout, activist and catalyst of Equestria's current reunification.

Taking another deep breath, he trotted up the hill towards the structure, and saw dim lighting coming from the ground floor windows. He steadied his breathing, and stepped up to the front door, which had been repaired. Taking one last breath, he raised his hoof, and knocked on the front door, and waited.

He heard muffled hoofsteps come towards him, a moment before the front door opened, revealing Sunny Starscout.

"Oh, hey Sprout. Awfully late for a house call, isn't it? Is everything alright? What can I do for you?" Sunny Starscout asked as she looked at the stallion as he ran a hoof over his blond, slicked back mane.

"H-Hey there, Sunny. I just wanted to apologize again for what I did to your home. I wanted you to know that I've volunteered to help the construction team help out with repairs," Sprout told her, as he began to tap at the ground with his left hoof.

"Thanks, Sprout. It'll be nice to have this place completely livable again. I've been sleeping on the couch because I can't really go upstairs. But it should go faster with unicorn help. In fact, everything but the third floor is just about done. All they have to do is seal the ceiling up before working on the top of the tower."

Sprout smiled, then took a deep breath.

"And, listen. I was uh, I was wondering if you wanted to go to a movie sometime. Maybe this weekend? We could go see Harry Trotter. Tickets are on me, what do you say?" Sprout asked her with a smile.

Sunny gave the red stallion a gentle smile.

"Oh, Sprout... No."

"What? But I thought—"

"No."

*Slam.*

Author's Note:

So this must be what it's like to pull an ending completely out of your ass.

Again, sorry, not sorry.

Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 20 )

Poor sprout his heart was literally stepped on.
Kinda want more chapters with him depressed and getting over rejection.

Also that was an abrupt ending lol :rainbowlaugh:

11007762
I'll consider it, but this was a random troll fic from its inception, so I can't make any promises. I've got more G5 content to work on, as well as remaining G4 stuff to continue and wrap up.

Thanks for reading, regardless!

Ouch. That's rough buddy

On the one hoof, rejection sucks.
On the other hoof, after what he did, he totally deserved that.

"hey sorry I destroyed your house in a silly fit of mad racist dictatorship, anyway you wanna go out with me?"
"fuck no"

and that's how Sprout became a nice guy™

Ouch, that hurt me. Better luck next time Sprout.

(Let the shipping begin.)

For someone who's name is "Sunny Starscout" that was cold as fucking ice, daaaamn.

Not to say Sprout didn't have that coming but still...that's rough buddy :rainbowlaugh:

11007764
Just to wrap up? I sad now

11010253
If more ideas come, I'll do them as well.

this is how he became the next postal dude who is hated by all groups
now he just needs to ask someone to sign a petition and my day will finally be complete
good job dude 👍

Hey, at least she didn't try to give him a pity date and end up getting him thinking it was going well. There's value in bluntness.

Andif anypony is going to believe that, it's the one who stormed Canterlogic for a decade to tell ponies their entire understanding of the world was wrong, they just had to trust her.

I mean, how else could this possibly end? *Shrug*

Oooof!

Recorded for an audio version coming soon :)

11127485
Seriously? Oh man, this one was a trollfic... :rainbowlaugh:

11127486
Yeah hadn't really seen that coming XD. But as the it got toward the end and there were so few words left. it became inevitable.

Now THAT is rejection with style! You go, girl! :rainbowdetermined2:

Kinda deal bad for poor Sorout though.

"No."

He had it coming. :duck:

To soon man too soon :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment