• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 1,962 Views, 88 Comments

Cracking Dawn - Didily Winkles



Dawn makes a trip to Ponyville for a magic convention. She starts to reevaluate her in life.

  • ...
6
 88
 1,962

Chapter 8: Black Star

Chapter Eight

Dawn walked through a plane littered with heavy rain clouds on the ground. She kicked them with her hooves to clear the way to her destination. To her surprise, she was already there by the third cloud kicked. She looked up to her prize. A daisy that blew in an unfelt wind towered above her. Dawn went up to bring it into a loving embrace. "I'm here." she said to the flower.

The daisy turned around to face the pink unicorn. The face on the daisy was angry and cruel. "You betrayed me!" It yelled.

"I would never!"

"But you did!" The daisy wilted in size to meet Dawn face to face. "You and no one else betrayed me!" The giant daisy then stabbed Dawn in the chest with its spiny root. It went inside her as she gasped desperately for breath. It was suffocating.

With a gasp to save her life, Dawn sprung up out of bed. She was in the tower where she fell asleep. It was a dream? "A nightmare." She admitted to the very lonely room that was bathing in the early morning sun. She dragged herself out of bed to wash her face. She looked into the elaborate mirror that adorned her bathroom. She looked terrible. There were bags under her eyes and her face looked ghostly pale. With her magic she splashed some cold water onto her face. The water left a chill on her face, waking her up. It felt good and she was already looking better.

Dawn walked over to her balcony. The sun was low over the horizon. She gave the edges of the balcony plenty of birth as she sat down on her quarters. She watched Celestia's sun slowly rise into the sky for awhile as she thought. Her body was still ripe with a subtle soreness from yesterday morning. Dawn turned her concentration to her magic. She felt the ocean of magic churn inside her. She was back to normal. The soreness would pass by mornings end.

Dawn turned around to seek her hearts desire, that little wooden box. It was still sitting at the base of her bed with a folded up letter not far away from it. She willed her magic to bring both to her. She read the letter again and let out a relaxed sigh. I really am going crazy. She summoned her ink and quill from her bank and turned the letter to its blank side.

Dear April,

About CU, it would be no trouble at all. Luna already knows of you and wants to help. It may be selfish of me to want to change your fate whatever it may be but I had never claimed to be other wise. I must admit magic fatigue has really played with my mind yesterday. I couldn't think straight to save my life let alone figure out what you are to me. I still do think I love you but I see now it's something I have no clue about. When I do gather more of my thoughts, my feelings, I want to take you up on your offer and talk to you about them whatever they may be. For our first weekend 'apart' why don't you come to Canterlot so we can explore the city together.

Love, Dawn

Dawn gave a light smirk at the letter she just finished. "Maybe I can write sappy things." Dawn folded the letter once the ink dried properly and slipped it into the box, closing the lid. She floated the box on top of the bed and lit up her horn. With a flash of magic she found herself in the dining room where she ate last night's dinner.

"Good morning Dawn. I did not figure you for an 'early to bed and early to rise' pony." Princess Celestia said, looking over to the source of the flash. The princess was eating a three layered red velvet cake.

Dawn took a seat next to the Princess. "I'm not. My name is, typically, incredibly ironic." She said with a heavy sigh. She took to studying her new surroundings for a moment. Magic fatigue really is awful for my attention to detail. The dinning room's ceiling was really high. The room had windows of tinted glass along the walls spanning all the way up to its ceiling. Dawn's eyes were flooded with sunlight that filtered through the colored glass. It was beautiful.

With a light chuckle at the pink mare's expense, Princess Celestia looked around for a stray servant standing in the corner. "Would you please ask for the chef to come in and make us some breakfast?" Princess Celestia asked.

With a, "Yes your majesty." the servant left through the only door in the room to produce the chef in a matter of moments.

The same chef from last night came in. "Good morning Stew." Princess Celestia greeted warmly. He was a giant of a stallion. How in Equestria did I miss that?

"Good morning your majesty, what can I make you this morning?" He asked in the most petite voice. Ah mystery solved.

"Well Stew, first introductions. Dawn this is Chef Stew the castle's cook." The Chef gave a deep bow. "If you are ever hungry he can make you anything. Cake, sundaes, doughnuts, pie..." The princess's stomach growled as she stared into space. "...Stew this is Dawn, Luna's student. Very much like how Twilight was to me."

Stew gave another low bow. "Milady."

Dawn gave an acknowledging smile and nod to the chef. How in Equestria do I respond to 'Milady'?

Content with Dawn's response Stew turned to the Princess. "What can I make you 'two' this morning?"

Princess Celestia went deep into thought staring into space once again as her stomach rumbled.

"Waffles." Dawn said, seeing that the princess was taking her time.

"Oh! Waffles!" Luna cheered as she walked out from a cloud of dark smoke behind Dawn.

"Good morning sister." Princess Celestia greeted, breaking her present train of thought.

Stew gave a low bow at Luna's appearance. "Waffles for you two?" He turned back to the sun princess. "And you your majesty?"

"Waffles sound lovely Stew." Princess Celestia agreed with reluctance. The chef gave a quick bow and left the room. Princess Celestia turned to Dawn who had started to study the ceiling again. "So you did not sleep well then?"

"I slept fine, just had a nightmare." Dawn answered without much thought. "Why?" Dawn was worried she might have looked like that mare that greeted her in the mirror this morning. Dawn brought a hoof to her face to feel around for ugly.

"A nightmare?" Luna asked with an odd excitement, interrupting Celestia's answer. "What was it about?"

Luna seems shorter... Dawn gave a quick inspection of night princess. Her mane was still blowing in an unfelt wind of the room but her vestments seemed to be sagging on her shoulders. It must be just my imagination. "A giant daisy with the tendency to stab me in the chest with its roots."

Luna giggled at the absurdity of the dream.

"Well you are sleeping in an unfamiliar bed. This happens to some ponies." Princess Celestia commented.

Dawn shrugged the idea away while giving contented sigh to the room.

"I read your entire book Dawn. You are every bit worthy of being my student." Luna oozed with pride over her find as she teleported Dawn's book onto the table. "I would love for you to demonstrate some of these spells for us tonight. Especially this one!" The book flew open to a page of one of her more complex spells. The spell itself took up three pages and she had only performed it once.

"That one is my favorite. I made that the day I blew up Wingopolis's streets." Dawn said, again without thinking that she was sitting next to 'The' authorities of Equestria.

Silence broke through the room as the Princesses stared at Dawn.

"You blew up what now?" Princess Celestia eventually managed to ask. "Wait..." Her mind worked over time in attempts of recalling the events of two years ago. "That was you?" The Princess's eyes pierced through Dawn's very soul by this point.

"Is it not fantastic Celly?" Luna was once again beaming with pride. "Look at this spell." Dawn's book flew over to Princess Celestia, breaking her piercing glare on Dawn. "Plus, why would a cloud city need streets any ways?"

Celestia took telekinetic control of the book to read. Dawn was having a mild heart attack as she saw her tome hover precariously close to the red and white confectionary. She managed to move Celestia's cake away from her book without the sun princess noticing. Celestia looked from the book to Dawn and back to the book as she read through it. The room was filled with a dense silence that even Luna's wide grin could not soften. The room maintained its silence until a cart burst through the large doors across the room from which the chef had disappeared.

The massive stallion pushed the cart next to the princess, breaking the sun goddess of her concentration. "Your waffles your majesty." Princess Celestia set down the book to her side, opposite of Dawn, and levitated the waffles in front of her. Luna did the same from across the table lifting the waffles clear of the precious tome to Dawn and herself.

They looked delicious, fluffy and light. Syrup, much to Dawn's displeasure, was already poured on it. Might as well dig in to avoid any unpleasant conversation.

"So, Celly isn't she impressive?" Luna asked with her mouth full to the brim with waffles, syrup dripping from the corners of her mouth.

Letting out a practiced sigh, Princess Celestia looked over to Luna. "Don't talk with your mouth open."

Luna closed her chewing mouth and swallowed the half chewed mouth full. "I fail to see why that is considered rude. Plus Dawn does it."

"I do what now?" Dawn asked with her mouth half full in between bites.

"See?"

Princess Celestia gave another glare to Dawn that made Dawn shrink in her seat. "It 'Is' considered rude Luna..." Princess Celestia reassured.

Dawn swallowed her mouth full and looked over to Luna in hope to gain reprieve from the sun princess's glare. Luna was half pouting as she scooped more waffle into her mouth.

"I called on the royal carpenters Dawn. We can have them decorate your room today." Luna said through a mouth full with waffles of spite aimed at her sister. "I also thought out what your first goal will need to be."

"Oh?" Dawn asked as she brought a fork full to her mouth. Princess Celestia was still staring at her as she brought the fluffy waffles to her own mouth.

"Yep, I expect you to be busy for a couple of weeks if not months." Luna stopped and pondered at her fork for a second. "I will show you to the Royal Library, you may need some reading material."

Dawn didn't bother to reply as she brought more food to her mouth. Wonderful silence loomed over the room. The only sound was of the three chewing and scraping at plates. I wonder if this is awkward.

"Dawn. May I read your book as well? I would like to get to know the pony that is living under the same roof as me and, apparently, get to know the pony that carelessly blew up the streets of a city." Princess Celestia asked with a small disapproving frown.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? "Uhh... Sure Princess I don't mind..." Her book was still close to the princess's unfinished cake.

"Be careful with that book Celly. It is very important to her." Luna finished Dawn's sentence, while pointing an accusing fork full in Celestia's direction.

The sun princess followed Dawn's gaze more closely leading her to her cake. "Oh, My apologies. Of course I will take very good care of it." She said, moving the cake closer to her and book farther away, giving a small apologetic smile.

Dawn could only muster up a small smile back. She felt like she had been under Princess Celestia's scorn the entire time she's been here. "I am done." Luna declared. "Dawn. Come. We will make for the library now." Luna got up and walked to the door. Dawn spotted the three mouth full's left on her plate and lifted it all into her mouth. Through her magic she felt the sticky mess of waffles as she shoved it all in her mouth. She jumped down from her chair and chewed the large amount of food. Unable to answer Luna, she followed her out the door. She felt the glare from the sun goddess from behind as she left.

-----

Luna led Dawn through the library, gathering dozens of scrolls and tomes at a time with her magic, and levitating them above herself. The library was very ornate with large windows adorning the sides facing the eastern gardens. My tower must be right above. Dawn chuckled at her thoughts. 'My' tower...

The librarians were more than just a little distraught by the disturbance Luna was creating. They followed the night princess with note pads, taking note of everything she touched and took. The pile above their heads grew in size as Luna skipped through the halls of the library, cooing every so often at a new find that was to be added to the pile. Dawn just followed not really paying attention, figuring she would just sift through the mess later.

When the Library offered no more choice 'Study Materials' as Luna called them, Luna teleported them out of sight. "She will need those for awhile." She said to the nearly fainting librarians. "Don't fret. I merely put them into Dawn's tower." Luna turned to Dawn. "I will meet you up there." And in a cloud of black smoke she disappeared.

"I will make sure to take extra good care of everything." Dawn assured, seeing the concerned Librarians. Then in a flash of pink magic Dawn reappeared in her room with Luna on the second floor. "So what is it I am going to be doing?"

Luna was rummaging through the pile of scrolls and tomes. Some of the scrolls were already bent from Luna dumping them carelessly. Dawn started to stack the rolls of paper and tomes on the shelf closest to her.

"I want you to make me a spell." Luna answered, still sifting through the shrinking pile.

"Uh huh..."

"It will be a dark magic spell..." Luna mumbled, still distracted with her searching.

"And?" Dawn was finding herself impatient.

"And..." Luna levitated a plain looking brown tome over her head out from the stack. "It will be the very same spell the author of this book made over a thousand years ago." Luna placed down the book facing towards Dawn.

"Black Star by Star Swirl the Bearded?" Neat. Dawn lightly leafed through the pages of the brown tome. It was written in an ancient Canterlotian.

"Indeed." Luna answered, looking thoughtfully at the book. "Long term... I want you to bring the dualism of magic back to Equestria." She stopped to think of her next words. "It will likely take up your entire life..." She searched Dawn's face for some hint of reaction. When she found none she continued, "But that is for later... Right now I need you to recreate a spell he only taught me and no one else. You will not find the answer in these scrolls or tomes. You will have to be creative."

Dawn looked up at the night princess curiously. "What does this spell do exactly?"

"It is a spell that helps you wander the void and not get lost to it." Luna said as she turned to look absently at the glass wall behind Dawn.

"Okay sounds simple enough." Dawn said confidently as she finished stacking the tomes and scrolls on the shelf only to lift the brown book to a shelf of its own.

"This is no simple task." Luna said, taken aback by Dawn's casual handling of her first assignment.

Dawn was now walking along the edges of the room inspecting it. Magic fatigue really made her miss the sheer beauty of the room. Her room. The rich woods, the intricate carvings, the delicate fitting making up the shelves, it was all for her. This is fit for royalty. "Oh I realize the gravity of what you ask of me. A pony that has lived thousands of years has faith in me to achieve this 'goal'. I will not disappoint."

"Alright..." Luna was cut short by knocking on the door.

"Come in." Dawn called out with her horn ablaze opening the door from afar. She went to the rail over looking the lower floor. A light turquoise earth pony, a black unicorn stallion, and a very young looking yellow pegasus walked in.

Luna stepped up next to Dawn. "Ah you made it." All three ponies gave a bow to the night princess as they turned to her voice.

"Of course your highness, how may we be of help?" Asked the black unicorn as the three rose from their bow.

"Well this room is bare. We need some furniture. I ask you make everything this pony wants for her room." Luna said, while bringing their attention to Dawn.

"Of course your highness." They replied in unison. The two mares and stallion turned to Dawn expectantly, waiting for her orders.

"Well Uhh..." Dawn trotted in place in search for words.

"I would think you may want a telescope." Luna asked almost excitedly, pointing with her hoof at the glass wall.

"Yah. That would be cool." Dawn agreed. The black Unicorn pulled out a note pad and wrote something down.

"You will defiantly want a proper desk too?"

"Yes, umm Down there." Dawn pointed at her bed. "I would also like to move that up here." She finished by pointing behind her to the alcove hidden from the morning sun.

"Would you like some couches, chairs, carpets, tables, any of these shelves modified, how about some more lamps along the walls?" Asked the passionate and eager pegasus of the three.

"That all sounds good..." Is that what it is like to have a clear purpose? Dawn looked back at her own cutie mark. Useless thing...

The next several hours Luna and Dawn watched the three ponies craft pieces of art from the wood they had brought up. The unicorn cut, carved and sewed while the Earth pony pounded, painted, and polished all the while the pegasus dried, held and watched the other two. Desks, tables, chairs, sofas, lamps, carpets, nightstands, dressers, and every thing the alicorn and unicorn could think of came to fruition one way or the other. They made it seem so effortless. Luna and Dawn talked through the entirety of it all. They talked about nearly everything under the sky and more. When silence found them both, Luna departed with 'Royal duties to attend to.'

Dawn looked over to the work ponies which were now setting up her telescope. She then gave a quick survey of the room. There was a sweet scent of lacquer in the air. The deep purple and gold spirals of Canterlot out in the distance paled in comparison to the lush woods of luxury in here. It all looked so perfect.

I still haven't explored the grounds yet. Dawn walked over to the balcony and edged closer to the railing, expecting the balcony to break away from the building at any time. She looked out and saw the gardens below, flowers blooming from every corner that was not occupied by the thickest green grass, statues of all sorts resembling ponies long past littered the ground below, and out in the distance she saw a hedge maze of all things.

I guess I'll go explore the gardens first. "You guys don't need me for anything else right?" Dawn called out to the artists at work.

"No, Ma'am I think we can figure everything else out. If we need you we can come find you." The black stallion assured.

Dawn walked out of the room down the spiral stair case. Along the way she opened nearly ever door she saw just to peak inside. The guards must have been told where she is and isn't aloud to go as they let her explore uninterrupted. She eventually found herself in the gardens. The sun was high but falling to the west. She took in a deep breath, smelling all the scents flora had to offer in the light breeze. It was a stark contrast to the earthy lacquer in her room. Dawn broke into a skip as she explored the gardens. She sniffed every flower before nibbling on the occasional pedal. She poked every plant she didn't recognized and read every plaque for every statue she saw. It was an unforeseen bliss.

Hours passed by as she purposely got lost in the grounds. She eventually skipped into a gazebo with roses crawling along the sides with a near dead tree centered in the middle that was adorned with the largest white roses Dawn had ever seen. The space was intoxicating. As she lay down by the tree, she took a deep breath of the rose enriched air and settled her head on her crossed forelegs. Sleep found her nearly instantly.

---

When she awoke it was near the end of the sunset and the moon was rising from the east. The first signs of stars were appearing in the sky as she stretched her legs out from her laying position. Dawn slowly got up, grumbling as she did so. The night air was brisk and refreshing. It brought life back into Dawn's sleep laden eyes. She took in her surroundings before skipping to where she came from, not really knowing where she needed to go. It didn't matter.

Surrounding shadows gulped up the path she was taking as the sun set deeper over the horizon. Dawn's mind was pleasantly blank. Pretty soon she wouldn't be able to see much. She found a small patch of grass over looking the western sky. She fell on her quarters to watch the sky turn from a brilliant purple and pink to the dark blue of the night.

"I finally found you." Luna said, coming out of a shadow behind Dawn. She sat down next to Dawn to enjoy the same sunset as her. "Did you spend the rest of the day in the gardens?"

"I fell asleep." Dawn answered as she turned to Luna.

"Ah..." Luna looked worried. "Celly wanted me to tell you..." She stopped herself. "I was worried for a bit when I couldn't find you. You should tell guards where you take naps. I can't sense ponies through the void when they're asleep."

"Oh?" Dawn was amused by the notion of someone keeping an eye on her.

"You may not think it and I certainly think you are better than this..." Luna paused, contemplating on her next words. "You are important now and some stupid nobles may try and take advantage of you to get to my sister and me when your tutelage becomes more public..."

"Ha that would be entertaining."

"Indeed, I think you would make fools of who ever tried to kidnap you." Luna looked amused at her student.

"Kidnap? Some pony would try that?" She asked in a hurried slur of the tongue.

"Indeed, that is why my sister and I rarely take students. I understand Twilight had many attempts on her when she was younger. Luckily Celly taught her some defensive battle mage spells."

"Huh..."

"I know battle mage spells are not common practice so I will teach you some basics to protect yourself these following months. And at night you can study those tomes and scrolls." Luna said excitedly, clearly looking forward to it.

"Alright sounds like fun."

"Oh you say that now..." Luna cackled.

"Luna, are you shorter?"

"Come let us go eat dinner." Luna wore a smirk that would make any manticore cry as she slipped into the shadows.

Dawn followed suit with a flash of magic only to find herself in the now familiar dining hall with both princesses. The hall was accented by the moonlight filtered through the ornate glass up above. "So are you?" Dawn asked again.

"Am I what?" Luna gave an innocent look at Dawn.

"Shorter. Are you shorter?" Dawn asked again with gusto.

"Why would I be shorter?"

"She is shorter." Princess Celestia said with a smile.

Luna deadpanned. "Me? Shorter? Preposterous."

Dawn was confused. She has never bragged about being able to read ponies emotions but these ponies were complete enigmas.

"She's found you out faster than any of our servants have." Princess Celestia said with a laugh.

"I told you she was the best." Luna replied.

"OHH! You wane with the moon. Well mystery solved. Good job gang." Dawn congratulated herself as she hopped up on her chair.

Dawn started to drift in thought in her seat as the two princesses started talking to each other. Eventually some ponies delivered a slice of cake for Princess Celestia and took their order only to disappear as suddenly as they came. In waiting for her food Dawn found herself bored. Princess Celestia was complaining about some noble she hated and wished she could fling into the sun while Luna just nodded stoically back.

Dawn let her magic flare up as she thought what could entertain her until food came. This bought the attention of both princesses. "Dawn what are you doing?" Luna asked.

Before Luna could finish her sentence an orb launched from Dawn's horn. Weightless and unbiased, the orb bounced feverishly around the room. It even managed to bounce off the princesses ethereal manes. The Princesses followed the glowing ball like a cat follows a moving reflection. The orb at some point split into two, four, sixteen... It kept splitting, filling the room with bouncing weightless orbs.

"I think we're done." Princess Celestia said to Dawn. All the while Dawn giggled at Luna, who wore a silly grin. Dawn suspected she knew what was supposed to come next.

Suddenly, as if to Princess Celestia's orders, the balls stopped. Completely still, they hovered in place. The only sound in the room was of giggling from Luna and Dawn. Princess Celestia looked at the two in wonder as she poked the largest orb with her hoof. Laughter erupted as the orb Princess Celestia poked exploded with a note of an E just above middle C. The note played loud then whimpered off, queuing more orbs to pop. Soon a chain reaction throughout the room started, popping four to six orbs at a time each producing a unique sound or tone.

It wasn't long before Princess Celestia recognized the music playing from the orbs popping. "Luna's light sonata?" Princess Celestia asked, raising her voice above the music.

"Is that what this song is called?" Luna asked from across the table.

"Yep, by Beethoofen. I thought you might like it."

"It's about you sister." Princess Celestia clarified from across the table.

"It's lovely." Luna closed her eyes and relaxed back in her chair, listening to the orbs pop.

They all listened to the music in peace before the door swung open, revealing their food. The chef and a servant came in with their cart, smashing some orbs in the process which forced them to let out the sound they contained prematurely, startling the chef and servant. They slowly pushed the cart to Celestia's side. In the process they smashed a few more orbs, letting those notes to forever disappear into the music. The food was levitated to the ponies sitting at the table and the two left, careful not to smash any more orbs.

The song ended, missing the last chord and a couple notes along the way. "Did you know that was coming?" Princess Celestia asked after clearing her throat of food.

"I knew there would be sound but not music." Luna answered, before turning to Dawn. "That spell was made for a 'prank' right?"

"Yep." Dawn cackled at the thought of her teachers cursing her name every time an orb went off with a low bellow of a sub-contra F sharp. "This time I made the spell go off by itself and in an order."

"You are going to have to show us that spell tonight after we eat." Luna said.

Oh right... "Alright...Guess I'll be going to bed early then. That spell really guarantees a good night sleep."

"I can't wait to see it." Luna said excitedly.

"Does it really wear you out that much?" Princess Celestia asked.

"It's just the way I build my spells I suppose... I need to use a lot of magic to make sure it doesn't blow up in my face. I've only cast that spell once." Dawn said indifferently. "I understand it was quite beautiful. A 'master piece' the mayor of my town said, that is before yelling at me about the streets above."

"You didn't see it?" Luna asked.

"No, I was casting magic all day and I let magic fatigue take me for the night."

"It seems you do that often." Princess Celestia said with a small knowing smirk on her face.

"My student likes to push herself." Luna replied for Dawn.

Dawn chuckled at that. If only you knew what I was casting that day.

"Your student also likes to destroy public property." Princess Celestia quipped back.

"And what did Twilight do five years ago? That's right she forced an entire town to riot over a doll." Luna fired back.

"That's.... THAT IS NOT THE SAME!" Princess Celestia slammed a hoof on the table before turning red in the face with... Embarrassment? Perhaps anger? Dawn could never tell. The sun goddess let out a heavy sigh and relaxed back into her chair to return her attention to her salad.

Luna giggled at her sister's outburst then turned her attention back to her food. Once again they all finished their meals in relative silence, wonderful blissful silence. I will have to meet with Twilight and work on that spell...

Luna and Dawn had finished their dinner before Princess Celestia and were deep in conversation about the ethics and moral standing of purging all of Equestria of clowns. Luna broke off from their pleasant conversation in mid sentence to address her sister who had just finished eating. "Good you're done!" She cheered before turning to Dawn. "Where do you want to cast this spell?" She asked excitedly.

Dawn thought for a second. Might as well make it close to my bed. "How about my balcony?"

"Alright! Come Celly. To Dawn's tower!" Luna cheered, shaking with excitement. She pulled Princess Celestia out of her chair before both disappearing in two pops of magic.

Dawn was alone in the room. She searched around for a nearby shadow. Don't want to use too much magic. She walked into a shadowy corner and out of another. She was in her room where two Princesses sat on her balcony looking up at the sky.

"It is a very lovely sky Luna."

"Thank you sister."

Dawn walked in front of them, careful not to get too close to the edge. She found her footing and braced herself for the spell. Her horn lit up to a brilliant pink as she cycled the spell through her mind. The spell grew and built up to a point where she had to shut her eyes to her magic. She concentrated more on the spell. Her horn started to blind her through her eye lids as the spell continued to build. Finally, all her magic left her horn weaved into an intricate orb destined for the sky. The orb shot up into the sky, leaving only a dim trail of light behind to follow. The orb disappeared into the sky of stars.

"It needs to be really high." Dawn whispered. Her eyes were open but barely as she fell back onto her quarters. Her eyes were getting adjusted to the darkness as she looked up at the sky to where the orb disappeared to.

After an elongated moment, one could see a perfect prismatic circle slowly expanded in the sky. It contained every color pony kind could have dreamt up. The circle slowly opened across the sky. The wave was unyielding as it slowly lit up the dark night sky. The sky became engulfed in color as the edges slowly drifted out of view. When the entire sky was lit up as bright as day, the main shock wave hit the ground. An ear shattering sound came with an intense and powerful wind, rocking the many trees below. The sound was very much like a harp scrolling along all its notes, each leaving a resonance for the next note. And then silence. The sky slowly faded back to normal. Stars ebbed back into view. Dawn turned to the princesses who were still watching Luna's sky return back to normal.

Luna was the first to recover enough from the display of color to say anything. "That was..." She stammered

"I will defiantly be hearing about this in the morning." Princess Celestia said plainly, still watching the prismatic wave expand over the far horizon.

Dawn walked back inside her tower, past the Princesses. She crawled up her stairs as Luna followed her quietly. "How far away will ponies see it?" Luna asked.

Dawn was sapped of strength and it showed in her ability to talk. "Ponyville saw it any pony past that would have to be looking for it to notice... it would be really faint. That was much bigger then my first attempt." Her voice drifted into a whisper. "I suppose I can say that was my first successful cast of that spell..."

She turned the corner into the alcove containing her bed. Princess Celestia followed Luna up the stairs. "That was truly breath taking Dawn. Thank you." Princess Celestia said as she turned the corner to Dawn's bed. The Princesses stood into the walkway of the alcove to watch Dawn climb into bed. Dawn fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.