• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 8,094 Views, 586 Comments

Forgotten: The Frozen North - milesprower06



Sunny Starscout's ongoing search for Equestria's ancient past sends her up to the northern arctic, where it is written that a city protected by love once stood.

  • ...
9
 586
 8,094

Dreamwalker, Part II

Princess Flurry Heart slowly regained consciousness... Or rather, she thought she had. She found herself standing in the middle of a snowstorm. Looking around, she found herself standing in front of the cabin that she had just entered moments ago, seeing Luna by the door.

"We are still dreaming, yes?" Flurry asked as the Princess of the Night came up to her.

"Indeed. This is my premonition," Luna explained, as they gazed down at the Crystal Empire, barely visible through the blowing snow. What they couldn't quite make out were three ghostly, swirling trails of light that were circling the cityscape overhead, and they were the source of howling that echoed off the cliffs overhead.

"What are those? I've heard them in my dream as well," Flurry asked.

"Windigos. Heralds of the end of an era. They are strengthened by hate, fear, and distrust. The first equines to set hoof on this continent were running from these spirits, and still they followed until the three races learned to cooperate or face certain death," Luna answered.

"You tried to stop them?"

"Many times. Each time I was overtaken by the cold or buried in the storm. I pondered for months how to overcome a seemingly hopeless situation. Eventually, I became so resigned that I turned around to the cabin, and went inside, and merely waited, and that was the key."

The pair of alicorns turned to the cabin, and walked into the front door. When the door latched closed, Flurry went to the front window and looked out at the landscape, and saw the stars overhead begin to move across the sky.

"The passage of time," Luna explained. "I could not discern how long, but I now knew that I should come up here and wait, and now I know for what. For you."

There was a knock at the door, and their surroundings faded to black.

"So you can likely understand why I've been anticipating this meeting," Luna told her.

"Yes, I can certainly see why. But what about mine?" Flurry asked.

Luna's horn glowed, and the blackness brightened and shifted again, and they found themselves standing in the foyer of the Crystal Castle, where the Heart floated in the center, slowly rotating on its central axis.

The howling continued outside, and it was Luna's turn to watch carefully. Frigid gusts of wind burst through the windows, sending the long thick curtains billowing in towards the Crystal Heart's pedestal. Both alicorns shivered as the chamber began to ice over.

The howling turned to shrieking, and the trio of ghostly spirits galloped through the windows, directly at Flurry Heart.

Luna tensed up, but Flurry remained calm, simply standing her ground as the Crystal Heart began to spin rapidly. The Princess of the Night was certain that they would have overtaken Flurry, had the Heart not reacted and shot out a trio of white beams at the Windigos, stopping them in their tracks before they reached Flurry. They gave out screams of defiance as the beams persisted. Then, three glowing spheres slowly came out of the Heart.

Luna was able to quickly discern their forms; a brilliant white, rounded diamond, a more angular, pointed sapphire, and a curiously shaped turquoise that looked like... Spread wings?

She didn't have time to look closer, because they, and the Crystal Heart, exploded in a flash of blinding white light, and both alicorns were returned to the infinite sea of black. Flurry calmly turned to the Princess of the Night.

"So, what do you make of that, Princess?" The Crystal Princess asked.

Luna's horn glowed, and the next thing Flurry knew, she was coming back to consciousness on the cabin's couch. She sat up, seeing Luna wake up on the bed in the corner.

Flurry's eyes widened when she saw the sun rising in the east. They had been asleep all evening and overnight. Without a word, she stepped outside to the front of the cabin, with Luna following her.

The Crystal Princess' expression was considerably more worried as she gazed back down at the blizzard blowing through and around the Crystal Empire below.

Luna came up to her side.

"All the tales I have heard suggest that unless all of Equestria comes together, that the Windigos and the fatal frost they bring are unstoppable. But this suggests otherwise. You and I certainly have much to discuss on the way down the mountain."

Author's Note:

Special thanks to the late MelodicPony, whose music inspired much of this story.