• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 8,108 Views, 586 Comments

Forgotten: The Frozen North - milesprower06



Sunny Starscout's ongoing search for Equestria's ancient past sends her up to the northern arctic, where it is written that a city protected by love once stood.

  • ...
9
 586
 8,108

Ascent

A Long Time Ago...

Knowing that additional layers of robes or coats would merely slow her down, Princess Flurry Heart merely opted for alteration spells that made the frigid air in her immediate area tolerable.

The paths north out of the Crystal Empire towards the Crystal Mountains was the same arctic tundra as any other direction, that quickly gave way to taiga as the landscape approached the northern range. About three miles out of the city, the paths split. The one to the left ascended far slower as it went east to Yakyakistan. The road had not been maintained in quite some time. The other one went right for about a quarter mile before beginning the steep ascent up Mount Everhoof. The road was barely visible, having not been maintained in years.

Right now, two questions were predominantly on the princess' mind; why would Spike be sworn to secrecy concerning the whereabouts of a dreamwalker, and why would they be all the way up here? No one ever came up here, at least not in the last century or so, when she deemed the cave near the top of Mount Everhoof wasn't necessary to guard anymore due to Grogar's Bewitching Bell no longer being up there.

But if whomever this dreamwalker was didn't want to be disturbed, maybe that was the point.

As the forest began to thin and the landscape changed to alpine tundra, Flurry took the opportunity to turn and look back at the city she had spent a century and a half watching over, and more worriedly, the storm slowly twisting overhead.

She really hoped this dreamwalker could help her. Seeing the premonitions for themselves was undoubtedly better than her trying to interpret what she saw repeatedly every night for the past two weeks.

As the trees began to thin out, more of the rising cliffs became visible. The snowfall began to decrease, but the wind picked up as she slowly got higher. When the path became visible again due to lack of snowfall up here, Flurry noticed wagon ruts present in the ground; recent ones.

She didn't understand; there hadn't been a Crystal Guard posted up here for decades. What was a wagon coming up here for? It absolutely wasn't an easy pull. She followed the tracks further up the mountain as it slowly curved to the left around the bend as the trees continued to thin out. Sure enough, there was the old EUP hut, which had been there long before the Crystal Empire had reappeared. To her complete and utter surprise, it looked in good condition, like it had been continually maintained. She traced the tracks as they turned to curve right in front of the front door, then completed the turn back down the way it came. At first she thought that a pony was coming up here to keep the cabin standing, making repairs as necessary, but then she saw smoke rising from the chimney on the right side of the roof.

Somepony was here. Right now. Taking a deep breath, she made sure her crown was on straight before continuing up the path to the cabin. Indeed, there was an axe embedded in the stump out front, with neatly stacked logs in a pile under the front window. Stepping up to the front door, she took a deep breath, and knocked on the front door.

There was nothing after that for a moment, but she couldn't hear much above the ambient howling of the wind. Twenty seconds later, she heard the door's deadbolt unlatch, and the old wooden door was pulled open with a creak.

She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but it certainly wasn't a pony equal to her height wearing a dark brown hooded cloak. They had a dark blue coat, and a horn longer than you would typically see on fully mature unicorns.

"Princess Flurry Heart. You don't know how long I have waited to see you here on this doorstep," greeted the feminine voice that Flurry had not heard in decades.

Flurry Heart's eyes widened as she realized who was standing in front of her.

"Princess Luna...?"

Author's Note:

And we have the final player to our flashbacks.

Thanks for reading so far, there is more to come!

-Miles