• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 8,108 Views, 586 Comments

Forgotten: The Frozen North - milesprower06



Sunny Starscout's ongoing search for Equestria's ancient past sends her up to the northern arctic, where it is written that a city protected by love once stood.

  • ...
9
 586
 8,108

The Crystal Princess

Sunny lowered her hoof once she saw the light die down in her peripheral vision. She was still standing in the large chamber, and the Crystal Heart was now glowing dimly. The ambience was quite different, though; the room had a foggy, almost ghostly appearance now, and there, laying next to the Crystal Heart was...

...A pony?

"Hello? Are you alright...?" She asked.


Izzy stood several paces behind Sunny just inside the doorway, unsure of what to do as she slowly took several steps into the room towards her. Her friend had touched the stone on the ground, and it exploded out in a flash of light. The instant afterward, a glowing horn and wings materialized on Sunny's body, and yet she stood still, her eyes glowing a fiery white.

"Uh, Sunny? You okay?" The unicorn asked her friend, who simply stood there, looking down at the heart. Then, the earth mare looked to her left, looking at... Nothing.

"Hello? Are you alright...?" Sunny asked.

"I'm fine, Sunny. Hello? Sunny? Can you hear me?"


Flurry Heart barely felt anything. Every labored breath she took chilled her barrel. How long had she been here? Hours? Days? It was nearly impossible to tell when the wind was constant and the sun wasn't visible from any of the chamber's windows.

She hadn't found the strength to stand, and laying here hadn't helped her recover any energy. She just felt exhausted, but not quite able to fall asleep. The tears that had fallen from her eyes had not even made it to the floor before freezing to her cheeks. Her eyesight also wasn't clear, she couldn't make out the walls of the chamber anymore, they were blurry and hazy.

Was this what dying felt like? Would Luna, Spike, and all the others be waiting for her when she finally crossed over?

"Hello? Are you alright?" She heard a voice ask.

She opened her eyes, and saw the Crystal Heart glowing once again. In the aura of light that shined out from it, she saw...

"An... alicorn...?" She asked, her voice barely a whisper. The form had a pair of bright orange wings and a horn. Then, there, just above her head, she saw them... The crystals from her dreams.


"An... alicorn?" The prone pony form asked. The voice was definitely a mare's but due to the aura in the room, Sunny couldn't discern any detailed features, but the voice definitely sounded weak.

"The... The crystals, did they work? Is Equestria safe?" She heard her ask. The form hardly moved, barely raising her head to look at her.

"Yes," Sunny replied, slowly nodding. "Yes, they worked. Equestria has united again."


Flurry felt relief wash over her, as the frigid air continued to rush over her body. She managed the weakest of smiles, as she slowly laid her head back down on the icy floor, and she finally felt ready to rest... Sleep...


Sunny heard the apparition give a soft sigh of relief.

"Thank you... Thank you, my little pony. I don't know who you are, but you have brought me more peace than you can imagine..."

The haze in the room began to lift, and with it, the pony laying on the floor faded away. When she took her next breath, the room had returned to the icy look she had seen when they had first entered.

"Hey, you okay?" She heard a voice ask, and she turned to see Izzy standing next to her.

Sunny turned back to where she saw the pony laying, and saw nothing but ice and crystalized floor. Had she simply faded away? If not, surely there would be... Some kind of remains. But there was nothing, except the Heart. She walked back over and touched the grey heart-shaped stone again, but nothing happened this time, and she picked it up into her hoof.

"The crystals..." Sunny said to Izzy. "The crystals, I think they came from here."

Author's Note:

I have been considering another angle for about a week now.

If you folks really, really, really want it, I can write up an alternate ending where Flurry survives, but it will only be an alternate ending, and not the direction in which this story ultimately goes.

Thanks for reading, and more to come!