• Published 6th Oct 2021
  • 13,835 Views, 260 Comments

An Heir's Frailty - Codex92



Discord decides to retire early, so he finds himself a replacement to help spread his chaos.

  • ...
27
 260
 13,835

Luna Eclipsed

Sunlight and the faint sounds of a rooster crowing somewhere woke me up. I didn’t want to wake up, though; I felt so exhausted, and my body demanded more sleep. Fighting against the urge to sleep in, I squinted my eyes open. I was back in Fluttershy’s room, sleeping in her bed again, although I sort of remembered I didn’t just fall asleep normally. All I can gather from my memories was the Nightmare returning, giving the girls nightmares for the whole week, possessing Rarity and turning her into Nightmare Rarity, and I even got the chance to explore Equestria’s moon, which was once inhabited by nightmare creatures. I think I was being force choked by the Nightmare before blacking out, nothing else after.

I tried to get comfortable and get a bit more shuteye, but I felt something was grabbing me. And I don’t think comforters can grab things, unless I was sleep-chaos casting. Something shifted behind me, making me flinch. I heard a familiar, quiet voice mutter something as it held me a bit tighter like I was a stuffed doll. I think I knew exactly who my mysterious sleeping companion was. I rolled over as best as I could, and I squeaked, finding myself snout to snout with Fluttershy.

She began to wake up, cursing her inner alarm clock for taking care of some of the early riser animals around her home. “F-Fluttershy?” I uttered nervously.

“Hmm?” After waking up slightly, she looked down at me, ignoring my brightened cheeks and the awkward stare I was giving her. “Good morning, Charlie.”

“...Why are you holding me?” I asked.

Realizing where her hooves were, she didn’t seem all that embarrassed like I was and just giggled. “I guess I couldn’t help myself,” she said.

She let go of me, thankfully, and I sat up. I let out a small grunt as my head started to throb, my body aching. I know I got strangled and thrown around a couple times, but I shouldn’t be this exhausted if I was resting in bed. With Fluttershy. Even though she insisted on me taking her bedroom while she slept on her couch downstairs. Did I get hurt?

“Uhh…What happened to me?” I asked Fluttershy.

“Umm…I don’t think anything serious happened yesterday,” she said. “You helped me feed the chickens, we bumped into Pinkie Pie when we went into town for some groceries, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo talked with you for a little bit.”

That’s…not what happened? “Wait, you’re saying it was a normal day?” I asked.

“Yes. Why?” Fluttershy asked.

“But…what about the nightmares you and the girls have had all week?” I asked. Fluttershy looked at me, confused. “You know? The nightmares that haunted you by a part of Nightmare Moon that never got destroyed by the Elements of Harmony? She had Nightmare Forces who took Rarity to the moon and we went off to rescue her?” She tilted her head, clearly still baffled. “She got possessed and turned into Nightmare Rarity? Equestria was in danger with the Element of Generosity taken over, leaving the rest of the Elements of Harmony to be useless to her invasion?”

“...Was that…what you had a nightmare about?” Fluttershy asked. “I heard you tossing and turning last night when I checked on you. I laid down next to you and you calmed right down. I didn’t know if you were going to have another nightmare and stayed, but I eventually fell asleep.”

Well, I couldn’t blame Fluttershy for her concern, but it still didn’t help the fact that she was cuddling me while I was unconscious. Or…asleep? I shook my head, trying to make heads or tails of what really happened yesterday, even though it was very clear for me.

“But I wasn’t dreaming. Everything I said actually happened,” I said. “How do you not remember anything?”

Fluttershy pressed the back of her foreleg against my forehead. “Are you getting sick? You’re not running a fever.” I leered blankly. I would know if I was ill. “Is this a strange chaos sickness or something?”

“I’m not sick,” I grumbled.

“Are you sure? I don’t even know what kind of sicknesses you can get,” Fluttershy said. She removed her leg from my head and climbed out of bed. “I’m going to make you some soup just in case. You get some more sleep, Charlie.”

I wanted to protest, but Fluttershy was already out of her bedroom, rushing to make me some soup for my mystery illness. I don’t know how she could have forgotten what happened. There’s no way she’s the type to suppress anything traumatizing, even though she’s scared of a lot of things right now. I could try to ask the others, but Fluttershy wouldn’t let me leave her house until I was in perfect health.

Nature began to call, much to my annoyance, so I climbed out of bed and hurried to the bathroom. After taking care of business, I climbed up a cartoonish stool to reach the sink and began washing my hands. I occasionally looked up at the mirror, letting out a sigh.

“Did I really just dream that?” I asked. As I took a closer look at my reflection, I squinted at myself. “Wait a minute. What’s…?” Last I saw, from my body to the environment around me, everything had a black border around them like the comics. But now, everything was back to the normal cartoon style I’ve seen from the show. I looked around the bathroom, scratching my head while I was left even more puzzled. “Everything’s…normal again?”

“Define ‘normal’, Charlie boy.” Flinching, I heard Discord’s voice, and it seemed to be coming from the mirror. I looked back at my reflection, still seeing a confused me. I blinked and rubbed my head, but when I looked at the mirror again, I saw my reflection giving me a snide smirk. I thought my magic must have made it act on its own while out of my control, but I was far from accurate. “With chaos, nothing EVER is considered normal.”

“What in the hay?” I uttered in shock. My reflection, who spoke with Discord’s voice, grabbed his face with both hands, then began stretching it out. Though the scenery looked really grotesque, I was more shocked to see it pulling and growing itself to a fully-sized Discord. My jaw dropped when I realized that it really WAS Discord, who gave me a little, cheeky wave with a big grin on his face. “Discord!?”

“Why, yes! In the glass!” Discord said, chortling at his cheesy pun, even as he tapped on the mirror.

“Charlie? Are you ok in there?” I heard Fluttershy from behind the closed bathroom door.

I looked at Discord, who was waiting for me to come up with an excuse. He wants me to reveal him, but knowing him, he was going to disappear and reappear later when I was alone again. I was already treated like a pawn for his “retirement”, if that’s what he really calls it, but if I call him out, I’ll be called crazy…Even though I technically am a bit crazy with this body and chaotic magic.

“Uhh…Just…talking to myself!” I said, hoping Fluttershy will believe me, and if she didn’t hear Discord’s voice.

“Talking…to yourself?” Fluttershy repeated.

“Chaos magic going a bit out of control, but I got it!” I quickly responded.

“Ooh, I’d love to see you try to corral your own magic if you think it’s that easy,” Discord said.

I glared at Discord, though my dirty look didn’t intimidate him. I just didn’t want Fluttershy to hear him, and he was just acting like the snarky chaotic deity he is.

“Oh. Ok. Are you still feeling sick?” she asked. “The soup should be ready soon.”

“Y-Yeah! I guess I was just tired!” I said. “I’ll be out in a bit!”

“Ok.” I listened carefully for Fluttershy’s footsteps to fade downstairs before I turned to scowl at Discord, who was filing his claws with…a cactus?

“You know, if you keep scowling like that, your face is going to be stuck like that forever,” Discord said.

“Why are you here!?” I exclaimed. “I thought you were retired!”

“And I thought you remembered what I told you before you agreed to be my heir,” he countered. “I’m retiring elsewhere, and I did say a part of me would reside within you to check in on you. Did you not hear my comments in your head the other day?”

“Comments?” I did remember hearing Discord’s voice out of the blue at times, but I thought I was going insane. The smirk on his face from my reaction said a lot. “...So…you were watching everything? Since I first got here?”

“I was. But you haven’t spread too much chaos yet,” he said, almost sounding disappointed in me. “Need to work on that when you grow into your new body.”

“Then…that means yesterday…that really did happen…Right?” I asked nervously.

“Mhmm,” Discord hummed with a nod.

“...How?” I asked. “I jumped from the cartoon, to the comics, and now I’m back in the cartoon.”

“Well, that’s a little something called dimensional hopping,” Discord said. “With chaotic powers, you can travel just about anywhere in any realm. Even alternate realities of the same world.” Dimensional hopping? I mean, I knew Discord was able to bend reality and possibly pull some weird stuff that belonged to some other dimension or world, but I don’t remember using my magic to take me to the comic book universe of My Little Pony. “Oh, but I forgot to mention that it happens randomly, so you might need to take notes on where you are between realms.”

I just blankly stared at the nonchalant draconequus in the mirror, because OF COURSE that was the answer he would come up with. “...Seriously?”

“Obviously. Chaos runs wild and does what it wants. You can stop it, but it can’t be perfectly controlled by just anypony,” Discord said.

“So, when I fall asleep and wake up, I could wind up in some alien universe that might not be Equestria without any warning!?” I exclaimed. “I thought I was just taking over your place as ‘Lord of Chaos’ while you’re retired, not EVERY existence of you in multiple realities! You couldn’t give me any more instructions about how chaos actually works, or maybe give me some kind of manual so I could learn to expect something out of the ordinary!?” Discord gave me back the same blank stare I gave him a moment ago, raising a brow quizzically. Of course, the obvious answer for his silence to my questions was already stated by what he said earlier. I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Chaos does whatever it wants and it can’t be fully controlled.”

“Bingo,” he said.

I just shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose with an exhausted sigh. “Figured…I still have no idea what happened to everyone. Did Nightmare Rarity win?”

“Oh, she lost, alright,” Discord said, forcing me to look back at the mirror and his snarky grin. “And it was hilarious!”

“You saw what happened?” I asked, but I grimaced, the answer quite obvious if Discord was in my head. Or at least a part of him. “Don’t answer that.”

“Let’s see if this might jog your memory.” Discord snapped his fingers, creating another mirror within the mirror he was in. It flashed for a moment like light was reflecting off it before the image started to come through clearly. Discord had a bag of unpopped popcorn in his hand, munching down a handful and leaving a mess, even though I couldn’t see his lower half. “This feature already has five stars for its creativity, and you’re the main star, Charlie boy.”

I dreaded seeing what was going to happen. The “feature” started with what I last remembered before I woke up; getting choked by Nightmare Rarity and held helplessly in the air. I’ll finally get to see the outcome of the Nightmare’s return in the comic universe. I saw myself on the verge of passing out, struggling to breathe with her aura wrapped tightly around my neck. I thought I may have just passed out, but boy was I wrong. Suddenly, my eyes had shot open, glowing yellow, and I was grinning…which turned into a very wide, creepy Cheshire Cat-like grin. Then, all hell broke loose.

Ignoring what everyone was saying, I saw myself firing a beam down at Nightmare Rarity and began to spread chaos around the ground, just missing the mare. Although the chaos spread in one spot in Ponyville, it was a portion of something Discord had created before during his return. My jaw hung open at what I was doing, too busy focusing on watching me going nuts with my chaotic magic to see Discord grinning at me like he was a proud father.

Strangely enough, most of the weird outfits or phrases I said, even in the exact accent for some of them, came from a lot of references to video games or shows I’ve watched or played before. The doctor’s outfit and the German accent I made when threatening the Nightmare was the Medic from Team Fortress 2, with the mismatched gloves matching the colors for the red and blue teams. The clothes I swapped into after catching Nightmare’s magic was similar to Ash Ketcham’s from Pokemon. I even turned my hat around backwards like he did when he throws his Poke Balls. And all the random antics between them came right out of Looney Toons.

Speaking of, I wished I didn’t see this all when I saw what I did to Luna. She commented about me losing my mind, which I clearly had, I nearly sounded like Daffy Duck with my remark. And then, to my shock, embarrassment, and fright, I pulled Luna into a cartoonish, loud, kiss. Right on the lips. If my face weren’t literally on fire at this moment, then the burning blush made me glad that I was no longer in that universe right now. Discord laughed at that scene, tossing his snack all over in his laughing fit. Maybe that’s why I repressed it…or, whatever happened to me, my magic did that at random. It didn’t help that Discord kept rewinding that scene over and over, me smooching Luna, whooping like Daffy, and flying and bouncing around like I consumed a massive lake of coffee.

“Ok! Ok! I’ve seen enough!” I exclaimed, covering my embarrassed face to avoid seeing my lips on Luna’s while she looked absolutely mortified.

Thankfully, Discord showed some mercy, poofing away the mirror, but his guffawing didn’t help any. “That was priceless! I’ve never seen insane chaos like that since I was little!” Discord said, hugging his belly as he continued laughing. I wanted to smash my head against the sink, hoping to rattle the part of Discord in my head, but I don’t want to end up with a concussion and a worried Fluttershy looming over me twenty-four seven. I lowered my head, bumping it against the edge of the sink with an exhausted grunt. “Finally you take my advice and unleash your full chaotic potential, and you are a prodigy! Although, rescuing Rarity at the end was still a bit goody-goody, so you lose points there.”

“Gee, thanks. Didn’t realize that was a pop quiz,” I grumbled. What Discord said did bother me a little; if that memory that was wiped from my mind was unleashing my chaos to the fullest, I’m more afraid of using too much of it if I turn into a My Little Pony version of a Warner Bros. cartoon character. Along with the random popping in and out of other random universes in or out of Equestria, maybe being Discord’s heir was a poor choice. “Oh, what have I gotten myself into.”

“Oh, don’t pout.” I looked back to Discord, who was now holding a doll in one arm, for some reason. It wasn’t a pony doll; it looked like a human school girl, wearing a Japanese schoolgirl outfit, the blazer a warm gray, the skirt a pleated dark blue, a red ribbon tied around the collar of her blazer, black thigh-high socks, and white slippers with pink tips. Her hair was pretty long, tied in a high ponytail with a white bow, and coral brown in color. The end of her hair was slightly curly, and two prominent strands beside her bangs hung over her chest. “You’ll get used to it. Eventually.” I was a little perplexed by the random doll over his slightly encouraging words. His ear twitched as he looked down at the doll, holding it up slightly to hear…something that was coming from it. I don’t know if he was pulling my leg, but it was like the out of place doll was talking to him, but it just looked like an ordinary anime girl doll. “Haha! Oh, no no. At least, not yet. But soon, though. He’s still new to all this.”

“...Uhh, what are you doing?” I asked.

Ignoring my question, he lowered the doll out of sight. “Now, I expect you to spread a bit more chaos than you’re not doing right now,” he instructed. “Don’t tarnish my status by being TOO chummy with these ponies. The Discord you thought you knew is not one to let friendship weigh down his freedom. Even this…weird romantic sort of relationship with Fluttershy and me.” I snorted a little at the disgust expressed on his face. I knew there were hints that Discord from the show had some deep-seeded feelings for Fluttershy, from his first friend ever being the animal loving pegasus, his guilt for betraying her and the girls to help Tirek, and his overprotectiveness and almost animalistic fury when Chrysalis attacked again and kidnapped the girls. “Seriously? What did THAT me even see in her? I would have taken my chances with Pinkie Pie. She also has special powers involving the fourth wall, but it’s more for comedy’s sake and randomness than chaos.”

Speaking of romantic interests, I remembered the other draconequus from the nightmares in the comic book Equestria. She seemed to have an obsessive thing for Discord, almost to a point of being highly possessive and abusive from the type of “chaos” she could cause.

“Uhh, I have a question, actually?” I asked.

“No, I am NOT going to try to pursue Pinkie Pie as a potential lover,” Discord immediately responded.

“No, not that!” I exclaimed. “But…it is on the subject of…relationships.”

Discord rolled his eyes and sighed. “Fine. What is it?”

“I had a nightmare before waking up and realizing I was in another version of Equestria,” I started. “And there was another I was forced into while on the moon.” Discord silently stared at me with a quirked brow, though his reaction confused me. He watched me go absolutely bonkers when going fully chaotic, so I would have assumed he saw the nightmares I had or was thrust into. “...You…saw those, right?”

“...I am the Lord of Chaos, not the Lord of Dreams,” Discord said in an annoyed tone. “That’s Luna’s job. If anyone can look into dreams, she clearly knows how.”

“...Ok. Uhh, anyways, while on the moon and we were engulfed in this nightmare mist, I found myself as you in some city that was chaotically altered.” He chuckled slightly, clearly amused by the dream I was in that was supposedly a nightmare to me. “But I wasn’t the one causing chaos. At least, alone.” Discord’s grin faltered, turning into a frown and his eyes widened slightly. “I was walking with…I think it was a female draconequus, but she wasn’t as…mismatched with as many animal parts as you were. It was like I was walking around as her slave, carrying a bunch of things she stole from shops like her personal pack mule, and…I think she was…in love with you?”

After explaining what I saw, I half expected Discord to make some sort of snide remark about “my” dream. Instead, he looked absolutely terrified, his jaw hanging open with fear in his eyes. For once, I think I rendered Discord speechless, and scared the daylights out of him by mentioning what I saw that came from a dream, or possibly a memory, that came from his mind, not mine.

“...T-That, uhh…W-W-What kind of nightmare is that?” he uttered, giggling nervously, but he was sweating bullets.

“Clearly not mine,” I said. “And the dream I had before waking up to that adventure had you running away from her, and I wound up getting caught by her monstrous hands in a veil of green mist. Didn’t know what she looked like until I was affected by the mist.” I figured a visual aid would help show Discord what she looked like. I hoped my magic didn’t flub it up and turn me into something else if using my imagination helps my chaotic creativity. With a snap of my fingers, I was surrounded in a flash of light, hopefully transforming to look like the other chaotic creature. Beside Discord, I could see my reflection; I was still me, sadly, but my color palette changed to look like her fur and scales, which seemed close enough. “Well, that was a flop, but she was as colorful as this, had a scorpion tail, and looked more like a lioness or tiger from the face down to her chest.”

It might not have been the best description, but Discord’s terror intensified. He clearly knew her, and he was afraid of her. Why? Who was she?

I waited for an answer as his eyes shifted everywhere but toward me, then he quickly snapped his fingers and created a hastily chaotic clock beside him, the hands spinning rapidly in opposite directions past numbers and random symbols that probably weren’t even numbers. “Oh, would you look at the time!? I’m going to be late for my surfing yoga class off the coast of Cantercun!” The clock disappeared and a Hawaiian shirt, a lei, and a pair of sunglasses appeared on him in a flash. “Causeplentyofchaosnowtata!”

“Wh-Hey! Wait! Who-!?” Before I could even touch the mirror, Discord vanished with a poof, leaving me alone with my reflection, and my body still a collection of clashing colors for a Discord child lookalike. Huffing in annoyance, I was left with more questions than answers. “He definitely knows who that is. But he’s the most powerful creature in Equestria. What could he be afraid of if the Elements of Harmony are the only things that could really overpower him?”

I’ll have to confront Discord about this sooner or later. He may have chosen me as his heir, but while he’s retired, I’ll spread my chaos however I well please. I’m the new Lord of Chaos, and this lord is going to use his chaos to help Equestria. Assuming I don’t lose myself to my full potential again. Kissing Luna like that still made me cringe in embarrassment. And, if it actually counted, that was my first kiss on the lips from any girl, and with an alicorn princess, no less.

Shaking my head, ignoring the heat from my blushing cheeks, I snapped my color scheme back to normal, turned on the water again, and splashed my face to distract my thoughts. All I should be concerned about is going all out with my magic until I’ve gotten the hang of it and expect to wind up in another universe if I so much as blink. I probably shouldn’t tell the girls this revelation since it’s already confusing enough to process, even for me. I may also need to take notes, too so I don’t lose my sanity. Once my nerves and thoughts were settled, I left the bathroom and went downstairs to join Fluttershy and eat some soup. I was actually getting hungry, and I could smell it as I hopped down the steps.

In the kitchen, Fluttershy stirred a ladle in a pot filled with the soup she made. From the smell, she seemed to be cooking up some tomato soup. Not a bad soup to have when sick, though asking for chicken noodle soup would be out of the question in this world, considering the vegetarian diet ponies live by. Although, with there being griffons in Equestria, they eat meat, so long as it didn’t come from anything sentient and living. I won’t risk asking that of Fluttershy, even though she has a few small omnivorous or carnivorous creatures she takes care of. Oh, and Harry the BEAR, too.

“Soup’s ready,” Fluttershy announced, to the joy of my empty stomach. I hopped into my seat and helped set the table with my magic, being careful not to let any of the utensils run off and hide from us. Lost a dish and a spoon last time, but we found it eventually. Fluttershy poured some of the soup in a pair of bowls, and on the side was some crispy, buttered toast. “How are you feeling, Charlie? Better?”

“Yeah. I think I was still pretty exhausted, that’s all,” I said, lying a bit even though it was half true.

“That’s good.” I started digging into the soup, and it was delicious. I reached for a slice of toast and munched on it, although I somehow avoided the crust when I bit a piece, leaving an open spot around the “frame” of the toast. I know Discord ate just the crust of his sandwiches just to be random, but what I did seemed really ridiculous. “I’m glad you’re not sick. I don’t want you to miss any of your first holidays in Equestria.”

“Oh? What’s coming up?” I asked while staring dumbly at my toast.

I didn’t notice Fluttershy hesitating while I pondered how to eat the rest of my toast. “...W-Well…umm…I-It’s…N-N-Ni…N-Nightm…”

Glancing up at her, seeing the trepidation on her timid face, I pieced together what she was trying to say. “Oh. Nightmare Night,” I uttered. She nodded her head, a little ashamed being afraid of a spooky holiday when that was the whole gist of a holiday like that. I completely understand, though. Not everyone enjoys a specific holiday that everyone else likes. “Where I’m from, we call it Halloween. Lots of similarities between them, though: dressing up in costumes, spooky decorations, trick-or-treating around the neighborhood to get free candy.”

“...O-Oh…H-How…interesting…” That didn’t seem to help Fluttershy. I grimaced a little, dunking my toast in my soup and nibbled on it. I managed to eat the bit of crust I somehow missed on my first bite while it was coated in the warm, creamy soup. “I…I don’t want you to…miss out.”

“I can handle wandering around just fine on my own,” I insisted.

“But you’re still so young.” I don’t know how many times I have to express I’m older than I look. But, no matter how badly I want to shout it to the heavens, I can’t be upset with Fluttershy. It wasn’t her naivety; she’s more concerned about me, who looks like a young colt and a completely different creature from her, and my safety. She believes I wasn’t Discord, or his actual blood-related son, but her preventing me from being independent like I was a toddler was a little bit bothersome. “Maybe one of our friends can be your chaperone.”

Well, it was better than nothing, and I’m sure one of them will let me roam around to enjoy the festivities. “I guess that’s…fine,” I said. I chomped up the rest of my toast, then continued slurping up my soup. We finished our breakfast, and I helped Fluttershy with some of the dishes. “So, who exactly would be…watching me?”

“I think I know just the perfect pony,” Fluttershy said.

“Is it Twilight?” I asked. “Or maybe Applejack?...Pinkie?”


“Are you serious, Fluttershy!?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. To be fair, I did not expect Fluttershy to suggest Rainbow Dash, which was a terrible choice considering she doesn’t trust me as far as she can sonic rainboom me to the moon. We flew to Rainbow’s cloud house, or rather, Fluttershy flew while she clutched me in her forehooves and held me to her chest, woke up Rainbow from one of her morning naps, and she was much more grumpy after Fluttershy asked her to watch me for Nightmare Night. I just blankly stared at nothing, questioning how fate led us here, and if Discord’s laughing his tail off during his weird activity in Cantercun. “No way! Can’t you ask somepony else!? I’m not foalsitting on the best holiday in Equestria!”

“You need to get to know Charlie a bit better and trust him,” Fluttershy insisted. Rainbow turned away with a huff, the obvious reaction to that response from her. Fluttershy hovered closer and held me out to Rainbow, who turned her head to look at Fluttershy with a raised brow. “Come on, Rainbow Dash. He’s adorable. How can you say no to him?”

“I want to say that this wasn’t my idea,” I said to Rainbow Dash.

“Can’t you let Twilight or Pinkie watch him for you?” Rainbow begged Fluttershy. “I know you hate Nightmare Night because it’s scary, but I have so many good pranks to pull that night! I don’t want to be weighed down by the twerp!”

“I’m only a few years younger than all you girls!” I exclaimed. “...At least, I think? How old are you two?”

“You never give him a chance to see that he can do some good, and he’s not like the real Discord,” Fluttershy reasoned. Rainbow pouted, still refusing to budge. I glanced up at Fluttershy, silently pleading with her to choose someone else, but she had a small grin on her face when she looked at me. “Maybe he can help you with some of your pranks with his magic?”

Rainbow and I both winced, glanced at each other, then back to Fluttershy. “Him? Help me? With his freaky chaos?”

“Me? Help her? With chaos?” I repeated, dumbfounded.

“As long as none of the pranks are harmful, I’m sure you two will get along just fine with some imaginative pranks you can come up with,” Fluttershy said.

I kind of was thinking going on a pranking spree with Rainbow would help me gain her trust and friendship. But for Nightmare Night, it sounded perfect. I think I caught a glimpse of Rainbow’s eyes flashing with intrigue at the idea. Part of me hoped she’d say no, but with all the creepy and crazy things I’ve seen on the internet, I’ll do more than just startle ponies with random lightning strikes from a cloud. She looked at me, eyeing me warily, then to Fluttershy’s wide-eyed, begging stare and that heart-attack inducing, innocent smile.

After several long seconds, Rainbow caved and let out a sigh. “...Just for Nightmare Night,” she said.

“Good! I promise you won’t regret enjoying Charlie’s company!” Fluttershy cheered, giving me a squeeze while the act made me let out a random wheeze that sounded like a squeaky toy. “I’ll drop him off in the morning on Nightmare Night so you can prepare. And so I can prepare for the night.”

“Great,” Rainbow muttered.

Fluttershy flew off, bringing us back to her cottage, feeling proud for me and Rainbow finally going to get along. I really hope we do. Better brush up on all the horror stuff I’ve seen the last several years and help Rainbow pull off the best pranking spree and make this year’s Nightmare Night spooktacular.


The days seemed to pass very quickly, and Nightmare Night was upon us. I’m kind of hoping my magic didn’t also include random time skips in whichever world I wake up to, or whatever else Discord eluded to tell me. At least I didn’t sleep hop into another dimension. As far as I know.

Early morning on the spooky holiday, Fluttershy was quick to wake me up, rushing and panicking to get herself prepared to stay indoors and away from the decorations already being set up in town. It was weird for her to hold herself in her home when it’s a bit far out of the town proper. It’s not like the foals were going to take a bite out of her for some candy, but with Ponyville’s tradition to offer candy as tribute to a statue of Nightmare Moon, there might be some adults in scarier costumes. I kind of want to ask Fluttershy why she doesn’t like Nightmare Night, but it’s best not to pry.

Right now, I was still half awake, barely hearing Fluttershy telling me to be on my best behavior before hastily dropping me off at Rainbow’s cloudy abode, then fled back to her cottage faster than anyone had ever seen her fly. I flopped onto the soft cloud lawn, honestly expecting to fall right through, but with my magic, I could stand on clouds like a pegasus, griffon, or other flighty creature with some latent magic to make such a feat possible. They were pretty soft for them being made of condensed water vapor; soft like the softest pillow, but a little bit moist if given enough pressure.

Standing in front of Rainbow’s front door, I sighed, having prepared all my good, scary pranks to give some impression to the pegasus. Raising a hand, I knocked on the door, leaving behind light thudding sounds. I thought of making up a doorbell with my magic that made weird sound effects to get her attention, but the soft knocking was able to be heard as the door opened up.

“Wow. Flutters actually dropped you off this early,” she said, then shrugged. “Figured she wanted to prepare herself as soon as possible. Well, come on in, I guess.”

Nice welcome. I must have interrupted one of her morning naps. Although, Rainbow prefers to nap anywhere that’s NOT her home. I followed after her, getting a much closer look inside her cloud house. The outside was quite fancy for a building made of clouds, like some ancient Greek architecture, not really fitting for Rainbow, but pegasi were considered the warriors of the three pony tribes throughout history. The inside was much more modern than the outside, walking into a living room with enchanted furniture for the pegasus resident.

Rainbow headed upstairs, probably to her room to get something. I set myself on the couch, snapping my fingers to summon a scroll, which held my list of the many pranks I had prepped for tonight. I know the only prank Rainbow’s going to do for this year’s Nightmare Night was spooking everyone by kicking a lightning cloud over her unsuspecting victims. I’m keeping my lips sealed about my knowledge of the show’s outcomes from the others. Twilight and Spike understand, even after Twilight’s manic episode, and I don’t want to risk changing too much of what’ll eventually come.

Eventually, Rainbow Dash came back down, and she was now wearing her costume for the night. She was dressed like one of the Shadowbolts from the season one premiere, the same ponies Nightmare Moon pretended to be to divert Rainbow Dash away, only to prove to Twilight her representation of the Element of Loyalty. It was all black with zigzagging yellow lightning bolts around her hooves and neck, and her eyes were hidden behind the yellow lens built into her costume’s flight suit, leaving her muzzle, mane, tail, ears, and wings to tell who was wearing it. I could see the stitching sticking out in some places of the outfit, clearly handmade and a little bit sloppy, but it wasn’t a bad costume for Nightmare Night.

“Alright, twerp, we have some time to kill before the real fun begins,” Rainbow said. “Not saying it’s going to be fun if I have to carry you around all night…Please tell me you know how to fly.”

“No. I’m still getting used to having them,” I said. “You ever had extra limbs you didn’t know you could move, and it feels awkward like you grew another pinkie toe that also had another use besides existing?” Rainbow Dash gave me an odd look at my example, then sighed and hung her head in annoyance. “I’ll learn how to fly eventually. And maybe learn levitation since Discord never used his wings often either.”

“Great. That means I’m not going to get everypony this year,” she grumbled. “I’ve got this thunder cloud with plenty of lightning bolts to shoot off and spook unsuspecting groups. And with you clinging to my back, I can’t kick it hard enough and enjoy hearing their reactions.”

“Well, you don’t have to,” I said. “I’m perfectly fine wandering on my own while you fly around spooking everyone with your thunder cloud.”

Rainbow seemed fine with that, but she frowned, leering at me behind her outfit’s lens’. “Oh, I see what you’re trying to pull. You think you can get away without being watched by anypony!” Where exactly was I going to go? Back to Fluttershy’s? Hide in the Everfree Forest? Teleport to Canterlot Castle and take over the throne? There were going to be adults among the foals, including our friends, so obviously everyone was going to see me walking around unsupervised. Sometimes, I swear this pegasus doesn’t think properly before coming to conclusions. “Well, I’m keeping an eye on you from the sky while I’m pranking, and I’ve got pretty good eyesight. Nothing gets past Rainbow Dash.”

I just gave Rainbow a blank, deadpan stare, giving her a thumbs up. “Cool. You got it,” I said, making sure the sarcasm was very, VERY clear for her to hear.

She looked satisfied, thinking she won over me, clearly missing my retort by a mile. I caught her looking at my list, immediately catching her interest.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“Oh, just a little list of prank ideas I brainstormed for the holiday.” Unfurling the scroll, I let it roll down, hitting the couch, down to the floor, and it kept going. The paper went up and over other furniture, crawled on the walls and ceiling, making sharp angled turns that seemed impossible without it tearing up, even over and around Rainbow’s form a couple times. I could tell her eyes were watching the scroll, slightly dumbfounded, only to be annoyed when the scroll finally came to a stop, the end flopping right over her head on booping her muzzle. I smirked at her, my real list not that insanely long, but it was funny catching her off guard. “And that’s only page one.”

“...You’re joking…right?” she asked.

I rolled the scroll back up, the overly-lengthened piece of parchment swiftly reversing back to me, “accidentally” sweeping Rainbow off her hooves when it whizzed by her legs. “Yeah. I am.” She sat up with a scowl, watching me finish rolling the scroll, then flick it, revealing the actual length of less than a foot of paper. “Being a prankster enthusiast, I think you might like the creepy, scary jokes I had in mind. I even had to practice transforming a bit to get some of them down perfectly.”

“Was tripping me up one of your pranks?” Rainbow questioned skeptically.

“Not exactly, but you were in the scroll’s way,” I said. “If you’re curious, stick around from the skies and watch me.”

I knew that if I wanted Rainbow to really stick around and see what I have in store, I had to goad her interests and challenge her. Judging from her pursed lips, I definitely got her hooked with my ideas.

“You’re not going to turn the whole town upside down with one of those, are you?” she asked.

“I swear, none of these pranks will cause trouble. Just some good scares,” I promised.

“...Ok. But I’m still gonna keep a close eye on you, otherwise it’s the princesses and stone city for you,” Rainbow Dash warned.

I just sighed and nodded my head. I was getting sick and tired of her having that threat weigh over my head, and Celestia still giving me that same benefit of the doubt is a constant reminder not to do something too stupid with my chaos.


Hours of anticipation later, and awkward silence with Rainbow for most of the time at her house, Nightmare Night was in full swing. The moment the sun began to set, Rainbow Dash carried me down to the ground, to her chagrin, and we went in search of some potential prank victims. The whole town of Ponyville was decorated for the holiday: light fixtures with a dim glow hanging from the light poles and rooves, skulls, fake spider webs, and jack-o-lanterns with different face carvings adding to the creepy atmosphere, and everyone was in their costumes, ranging from the fitting theme of the evening to silly or adorable costumes for the fun of it.

I passed by some foals who were laughing and running from house to house, trick or treating to get some free candy from the neighbors. Halloween was always the best holiday: free candy, and dressing up in cool costumes. I did see some colts wearing outfits that were supposed to be scary, but it was as adorable as seeing the fillies in their more harmless, girly costumes, like a fairy princess or a ladybug. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going when someone rammed into me, causing us both to stumble to the ground, candy spilling out around us.

“Oops! Sorry!” My ears twitched, recognizing the young, British accent that came from the colt who bumped into me.

After scrambling our limbs out from each other, with mine somehow getting tangled with themselves in the flop, looking apologetic toward me was the little Trottingham colt, Pipsqueak, and he was sporting his pirate costume. “Uhh, it’s ok,” I said. Looking at my arms, I frowned, then pulled them, untying the painful-looking knot, but my arms slipped out like wet noodles. “I was too distracted with the decorations to pay attention to where I was going.”

“I know! It’s my very first Nightmare Night!” Pipsqueak said. He was clearly very excited, and he didn’t notice his candy bag around his neck had spilled his sweet treasure around us. “Is it yours, too? I haven’t seen you before.”

“Uhh…I suppose,” I mumbled. “I’m Charles.”

“I’m Pipsqueak! Pipsqueak the pirate!” he said with a salute. If there were other ponies that could beat the adorable scale in this world, Pipsqueak would probably be one of the many that can rival the likes of the Crusaders, Derpy, or even Flurry Heart or the Cake Twins, and neither of the baby ponies are even born yet. And, of course, with them being ponies, Alyssa was a sucker for the foals, including Pipsqueak. “What’s your costume?”

How was I going to tell this kid I wasn’t in a costume without startling the heck out of him? I mean, he should have seen me peel out my arms from the knot they got into. He’ll find out eventually, but considering the holiday, I might as well get into the spirit of things. For Pipsqueak’s sake, at least.

“Oh, is it not obvious?” I asked, giving Pipsqueak the slyest smirk I’ve ever made. “I am Discord, the Lord of Chaos!” I let out a maniacal laugh, something that Discord would be impressed to hear. I nearly broke out of character when a lightning bolt shot out of nowhere, adding to the effect as mini Discord to the colt. Either Rainbow added to the atmosphere and timed it while keeping her eye on me, or she just found a perfect victim to spook in the distance. “Behold, little pirate, and watch as I unleash my chaos upon the land!”

Snapping my fingers, I animated Pipsqueak’s candy by giving them legs. They lined up in a circle around me and danced, worshiping me as their chaotic overlord like a religious tribe. Pipsqueak was in awe if his hung open jaw was any indication. With a wave of my hand, I commanded the dancing candy to walk back to Pipsqueak and jump back in his bag, each piece flashing back to normal after settling back in their rightful place. He looked down at his candy, then back to me with a wide, open-mouthed grin.

“Wow! That was amazing!” he cheered. “How’d you do that!?”

“Lots of practice,” I said. “Just don’t eat them when they’re alive. You might get much more sick off one piece than a whole bunch.”

“Well, I don’t know who Discord is, but your magic is really cool!” Pipsqueak said. Oh, he has no idea just how dangerous this magic can actually be. Don’t ever lose that innocence, Pipsqueak. “And so’s your costume.”

“Heh. Thanks,” I mumbled sheepishly.

“Hey, Pippy!” Zipping up to us, Pinkie came to a stop before us. As I expected from the episode, Pinkie Pie was dressed up like a chicken. “There you are, silly! Oh, hi, Charles! Have you met Pipsqueak?”

“More like bumped into me,” I said.

“Neat! But we gotta get moving! Candy needs to be given, and I won’t stop until we get every last piece!” Pinkie proclaimed, adding in a few loud, shrill clucks like the big chicken she is. “Come on, Pipsqueak! Candy needs plundering!”

“Yeah!” Pipsqueak cheered, following Pinkie toward the library.

And I think I found my first official scare victim for the night, grinning maliciously. I looked up, spotting Rainbow Dash and her lightning cloud floating above the town. She followed me as I stuck to the shadows, sneaking around and out of sight from Pinkie and the group of foals she seemed to be chaperoning. Kind of a bad idea to have someone like Pinkie Pie watch some kids when she’s literally acting like the chicken she was dressed as, but it was better than Granny Smith creakily following them when she wanted to sleep.

While Pinkie was distracted talking to Twilight and Spike, both of them in costume as well; Star Swirl the Bearded and, to my exasperation, a dragon respectively. Spike could come up with a better costume than dressing like a dragon…when he’s ALREADY a dragon to begin with. I ignored my inner frustrations and snuck over to a little empty spot in town, not too far from the Golden Oak Library. I cracked my knuckles, wriggled my fingers, and snapped. Appearing in the several feet of land, I left a bowl of candy with a concoction of deliciously mixed chaos blend of sweets, which I personally tested and approved, closer toward the library, and several yards away was a little pit with a slightly torn metal grate, making it look closely enough to a sewer system. Sticking above the bowl of candy was a piece of paper that said, “Plz tayk just won!” and it had a goofy drawing of Discord giving the thumbs up and a wink.

Glancing up, Rainbow Dash watched me curiously. I grinned, hopped into the pit, and in a flash, I was in my disguise for this little trick. Now, all I had to do was wait, and luckily, I could hear whoever walks between my enchanted prank area. And I didn’t have to wait long, it seemed.

“Hey, lookee! Free candy!” I heard Pinkie say, to my glee.

“It says…please take just one?” one of the foals in Pinkie’s group said.

“Well, it is free candy,” another said.

I then heard some rustling of candy in the glass jar, some of the foals curiously eyeing the confections I crafted. They took a bite, and judging from the delight in their hums, I nailed their taste buds. I wonder if Discord could have been a major hit for Nightmare Night with his pranks and creating any kind of sugary sweet to hand out to the kids.

And waste my time using my chaos to feed a bunch of foals and give them a sugar rush? You forget I’m not that other Discord, Charlie boy.

Of course, Discord would chime right in, hearing my thoughts like a creepy voyeur.

Says the draconequus child hiding in a ditch spying on fillies and colts. Just what are you doing? This doesn’t look like spreading chaos.

I can’t really ignore Discord, but if he wants to stick around and watch this prank, I’d appreciate having no commentary when I’m trying to focus.

Prank? What prank?

“Wow, this candy’s so good!” Pipsqueak exclaimed. “I didn’t know chocolate cotton candy could taste yummy!”

“And all this candy is just sitting here without anypony to hand them out to,” Pinkie said. She paused, possibly shifting her eyes back and forth, trying to be sneaky. “It did say to take one…but it didn’t say take one of what.” And she took the bait. She snatched the bowl of candy, clucking away like she got away with it, but I rigged the candy bowl to slip out of her hooves and send it rolling toward me. I heard her yelp when the bowl fell, and it rolled off, keeping the rest of the candy safely inside. “Hey! Come back here, candy bowl! I want to eat your delicious sweeties!”

Along with Pinkie, I heard the foals after her while she chased down the candy. I wish I could see her running after it, trying to peck at it with her fake beak poking from her snout, and failing. The bowl fell into my pit, which I caught, and prepared the start of the show. Looking up, I saw Pinkie looking down at the pit curiously. She couldn’t see me, but I could see her. I made my eyes glow yellow, then leaned up closer, keeping my head from being seen by the others while she saw a creepy pony clown face staring back at her with a wide grin. With my face painted white with a big red clown nose, mostly bald but with red hair sticking out from the sides, and bright red paint around my muzzle, she can barely make out the silly, colorful clown outfit I was wearing in the pit. Basically, I was a ponified version of Pennywise the clown from the strange, but incredibly terrifying movie “It”.

“Hello, Pinkie Pie,” I greeted creepily, keeping my wide grin and an overly friendly, stranger-danger tone.

“Hi, creepy clown who lives in the sewers of Ponyville!” Pinkie greeted, though she lost her own normal smile as she looked around curiously. “That we seemed to have installed just today? Huh. Weird.” I could see the foals cautiously peeking around Pinkie to try to see me, too scared to know who or what lived down here. Good for them. “Say, have you seen a bowl of candy that rolled into your home?”

“You mean…this candy?” I asked as I held up the aforementioned bowl of sweets. “They look quite delicious. Do you want them back?”

Part of Pinkie wanted to say yes, but she had no idea if the candy had all fallen out. “Uhh…well, they might be a bit gross. They fell on the ground…in an icky sewer.”

“Oh. That’s too bad.” I took one of the candies, popped one in my mouth, grossing the chicken-dressed pony. “Maybe…a balloon instead?” Floating up beside me was a normal red balloon. “I got a whole bunch more.”

“Ooh. Do they float?” Pinkie asked curiously, my grin curling wider as she just uttered the magic word.

“Oh. They float…They all float…” My teeth grew sharper as I opened my mouth, bearing my incredibly sharp fangs as I let out a menacing breath. Pinkie’s expression went from curious to scared in seconds, but she was too late to try to flee. “And you’ll float too. You’ll all float down here!”

Lunging my arms forward, I grasped Pinkie’s forelegs and hauled her into the pit with me. I let out a demonic roar as she screamed, playfully batting at her while trying to gnaw my fangs into her flesh. She managed to break free, launching the grate from the pit while screaming at the top of her lungs.

“THE CREEPY CLOWN TRIED TO EAT ME! RUN AWAY!!!!!” Pinkie screeched, her hooves flailing while hovering in midair before zipping away.

The foals all joined in, screaming and fleeing from the “scary clown” before it came after them, the red balloon slowly floating up and away into the sky. I poked my head up, watching them run, successfully pulling off my It prank.

…Oh my…I didn’t know you had it in you.

Above, I heard Rainbow Dash laughing her head off, rolling around on her lightning cloud after the impressive display. I climbed out of the pit, snapping away the setup, but I kept my candy. I definitely wasn’t going to let that go to waste. Rainbow hovered down to earth after she could finally breathe from laughing so hard.

“Sweet Celestia, that was actually priceless!” she said, which I believe was a compliment from Rainbow Dash. I’m a bit surprised. “Where did you come up with that!?”

“I’ve got my resources,” I claimed, popping in another chaos candy. “But that was just the tip of the iceberg.”

“The tip!?” Rainbow exclaimed in shock. “How many more pranks are on that list of yours?” I materialized my list, though she winced when I was about to unfurl the scroll. “Uhh, nevermind. But…if any of your other pranks can scare everypony out of their costumes like that…maybe I’ll…give you a chance.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Very slim chance,” she quickly rephrased. “Just…don’t actually harm anypony with the rest of your pranks…And I wanna get in on some of them.”

Well, it’s a start with Rainbow at least, but she definitely wants to know how much more creative I can get. And thankfully, none of them end up with anyone getting hurt. I’m not that sadistic.

I’m curious to see more of these pranks, too. I wish there was a bit more chaos in it, but terrifying ponies like that was hilarious!

Rainbow and I hurried to find our next scare victim. I left out scaring any of the elderly or foals who were a bit too innocent for spooky frights that would scar them for life to avoid being an actual monster. We went down my list of favorite horror movie monsters and killers, reenacting their best scenes from memory, and I had Rainbow be my “victim” before chasing any onlookers witnessing them. It was all in good fun, and despite hearing Discord laughing and giving his commentary about his idea spreading more chaos in these pranks, I was at least impressing him enough to get him to stop berating me to do what he would have done.

I took a little break from pranking after scaring a few more ponies. Just because I have such strange, yet powerful magic at my disposal, it was a little bit exhausting. Rainbow went on ahead to spook everyone with surprise lightning while I sat and drank some conjured chocolate milk. It was odd how my chaos can create food and give some form of sustenance after using it in excess for about an hour, but I’m gonna chalk that up as chaos magic just doing whatever and making no sense, which made perfect sense…Yeah, it’s going to take a LOOOOOOONG while to get used to it with each new discovery.

After downing my second glass of chocolate flavored dairy juice, my ears twitched when I heard screaming in town. Although, the fun screams of terror weren’t what I was hearing; they were actual screams of terror. I nearly forgot that this Nightmare Night was part of the episode where Luna made her real debut appearance, and she’s probably made everyone run away after her speech to change the holiday to something that wouldn’t tarnish her image as a villain. I think Twilight’s able to help Luna cope with what this holiday is meant to be about, so long as Pinkie Pie doesn’t make it worse, being the screeching banshee who finds it fun to flee and be scared of Luna trying to fit in…Oh, who am I kidding? Pinkie’s going to be the solution, despite being the problem.

With my little break over, I headed to the center of town to find Rainbow Dash. This area had all the different spooky games: spider tossing, bobbing for apples, pumpkin launching, etc. Since I wanted to save the rest of my pranks with Rainbow Dash, I looked around at the different games, spotting Applejack in a scarecrow costume by the huge tube of apples for apple bobbing. I found it funny how Applejack’s costumes in the show were based around a couple of characters from “The Wizard of Oz”; Scarecrow now, and The Cowardly Lion much later in the series. I would love to see her dressed as The Tin Man or Dorothy, and Winona could be Toto, but she would probably get too antsy to stay put with all the excitement.

“Charles!” Applejack greeted me as she waved me down.

“Hey, Scarecrow,” I greeted back.

“Heard there’ve been some scary pranks goin’ around, and they’re somethin’ that Rainbow Dash couldn’t have come up with,” Applejack said, eyeing me with a knowing smirk.

Feigning ignorance, I looked around, then placed a claw over my chest. “What? Me? I mean, I would never. I’m just enjoying Nightmare Night like everyone else.” My innocent facade didn’t faze the apple farmer, nor did the sly grin on my face. “...Ok, it was me.” I snapped my fingers and transformed into my pony Pennywise cosplay, fitted with sharp fangs to make the silly clown persona look more terrifying. Just the guise I wore made Applejack grimace at the sight. “Since Fluttershy’s locked herself at home for the night, she suggested that Rainbow Dash ‘chaperone’ me, and I’m getting on her good side by doing something she likes.”

“Which is prankin’ ponies and scarin’ the daylight’s outta them,” Applejack said. I nodded, my neck movements making creepy clown squeaking noises. “...Uhh, ya wanna change back, Charles? Ah’m sorry, but…you’re kinda creepin’ me out with that look.”

“That’s the point.” I gave her a creepy grin, waving my hands like I’m itching to grab her and make her “float” like the apples in the wooden tub. I turned back to normal with a silly grin. “I’m finding this more fun than I thought. And I’ve got a few more ideas left to do with Dash this evening. Have you seen her?”

“Saw her zappin’ lightnin’ and startlin’ some ponies a while ago by Town Hall,” Applejack pointed out. “Don’t know where she went after that, though.”

“Well, it can't be hard to find a rainbow tail fluttering around in the night sky,” I mumbled.

While scoping the skies for Rainbow, I heard Pipsqueak run over toward us. “Hi, Charles!” he said, then hopped up and tried to pull his small body up to the edge of the tub to try bobbing for an apple.

He was about to fall in, but Applejack quickly caught him before he flopped into the water. “Careful there, partner,” she warned.

As I turned around, I flinched when I stared at Princess Luna, who was looking down at me. “Hello, Heir of Discord,” she greeted, irking me a little at the unfortunate title she gave me.

“It’s…Charles, Princess Luna,” I corrected. Applejack turned around, yelping in surprise seeing Luna and quickly crouching down to cower in fear at her presence. Luna didn’t appreciate being such an ominous presence toward her subjects, which means the night is going exactly how the episode went: Twilight helping teach Luna to be nicer, only to have Pinkie misconstrue what was happening and scaring the foals accompanying her, upsetting Luna further. When she looked back at me, I noticed something pop up in my lower peripheral vision, something my chaos magic is doing on its own, no doubt. I glanced down at it, staring quizzically at what looked like…command prompts? There were four different lines sectioned off around an orange circle, one phrase on the left saying “No response.” and the other three on the right side. From top to bottom, these lines were, “Give a friendly, but awkward greeting.” “Make an awkward joke.”, and “Babble stupidly like a lovestruck idiot.” “W-Wait, what did that last one say?”

“We beg thine pardon?” Luna asked, confused.

I flinched, forgetting that Luna couldn’t see…whatever the heck this was while expressing the last line of “choices”. “Uhh…” I saw the last choice being highlighted, like I was going to pick it, but I waved my hand around, trying to wipe it away, and ended up picking the first response on top instead, grinning awkwardly at her after it finally went away. “...So, how’s your first Nightmare Night going?”

“About as well as you would expect,” Twilight answered, seeing how Luna’s giving me the stink eye when I only wanted to engage in a nice, friendly conversation, despite the negative outcome so far. She approached Applejack, passing me and Luna while I stood awkwardly while she gazed down at me like I was a bug she was going to squish under her hoof. “Applejack, the princess is looking for a little advice on how to fit in around here.”

Applejack peeked through her hooves, giving Twilight a deadpanned leer. “‘Fit in?’ Really?” Twilight glared at Applejack, showing her she’s dead serious about wanting to help Luna get accustomed to the modern day life of the world and be a part of Nightmare Night. I even leered at her, too, threatening to scare her with another creepy, haunting iconic monster for the rest of her life. She quickly got back up with a nervous smile, surely not wanting to see Pennywise peering at her from the foot of her bed like a creeper. “Er, Ah mean…that’s easy! All ya gotta do is have the right attitude. Loosen up a bit, be positive, play some games, have some fun.”

“Fun? What is this ‘fun’ thou speakest of?” Luna asked.

Ok, even though Luna has been trapped on the moon for a thousand years, I still find her lack of knowing what fun was to be a bit strange. “You never had fun before?” I asked. “Not even as a filly?” Luna stared at us, still perplexed by the term. “...Wow. Uhh, ok. Well, let’s show you what fun is.”

I guess Luna must have lived a much more sheltered life than myself or other fans of the show thought. Even with fan made animations or stories, we all made Luna’s much younger self happy, carefree, and outright adorable. I just need to be careful and not accidentally call her “Woona”. She’d probably hate getting that nickname more than Nightmare Moon.

Twilight, Applejack and I led Luna to some of the games. Ponies cowered as she approached the different stands, stopping in front of the spider toss game. We explained how the game worked, then Applejack showed Luna how it was done. She gave the toy spider an underhanded toss, getting it to land on the web, just missing the center of it by a couple inches to the left. Luna gave it a shot, but her toss was a bit too light, her spider hitting the ground before it got close to the web. She didn’t give up and tried again, her next throw landing a bullseye, getting dead center on the sticky web net.

Ponies began warming up to Luna as they watched her have fun. No longer wearing a serious gaze and a stoic frown, or blasting everyone’s eardrums by using the Royal Canterlot Voice to converse with everyone to be heard and given attention, she wasn’t seen as the former villain she became. I still wished everything that happened last time didn’t happen in some alternate universe, but at least Luna was getting the positive attention she sought in the past.

After a round of pumpkin launching, Luna hitting her targets with perfect precision and ease, we went to try bobbing for apples, right after she announced Ponyville to call her just by her name. No titles of royalty, just plain old Luna. When we got over to the tub, we saw Pipsqueak try to bob for an apple, his tiny body barely able to support himself on the very thin edge of the wooden tub. He fumbled, lost his balance, and slipped into the water. Luna ran over to help get him out, fearing he wasn’t able to swim to rescue the colt. I realized this moment in the episode was where Luna snapped after a certain pink menace causes even more terror seeing her doing the things told in the story about Nightmare Moon on Nightmare Night.

“Hey, anypony seen Pip?” I twisted my neck like an owl to look behind me, where Pinkie Pie and the chaperoned foals were stepping closer to seeing Luna grab Pipsqueak out of the tub with her muzzle. “We lost him the last time we had to run-”

“Wait, Pinkie!” I called out, my body quickly turning in the opposite direction my head had, but I was too late to stop her.

She gasped when Luna had Pipsqueak in her mouth, then screamed. “Nightmare Moon is gobbling Pipsqueak! Everypony run!”

The foals screamed and ran away with Pinkie, and I could hear Pipsqueak cry out for help. “Help! My backside has been gobbled!”

I turned my head again, a little bit too quickly, and it somehow popped off my neck. “Ahh!” I yelped, then grunted as my noggin hit the ground. Oddly, I can feel the rest of my body, even move my limbs as I felt the stump of my neck. “Ok, seriously? Why does the body popping off thing happen right now?”

Well, it’s not my fault your head’s got a few screws loose. Ha ha ha ha ha!

I scowled at Discord’s comment. “‘Tis a lie!” Luna exclaimed, snapping me back to reality. I saw Pipsqueak run past me and my body, quickly commanding my limbs to come over and grab me. “Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!”

I flinched, both with my expression and my body, practically feeling Luna’s hoof stomp the ground and lightning strike behind her. “Uh oh.” I glanced at my body, which seemed paralyzed from Luna’s bout of anger, and I had no control over it. “Hey, pick me up, brainless!” That snapped it out of its stupor, reaching out to grab me, forcing me to shut an eye to avoid one of my claws poking it. “Ow! Watch it. I’m not a basketball.”

My body lifted my head up, then set it back on the stump of my neck, twisting it a couple circles clockwise until it was set back in place. Once I had full control of my body, I heard screams coming from the whole town. Everyone was in a panic, and they were fleeing from a large group of spiders, which happened to be the toy spiders enchanted by Luna’s magic, and they were skittering around terrorizing everyone. It was mass chaos, and again, I wasn’t the one responsible for causing it.

You know, Twilight and Luna are able to cause all this chaos with their own magic. You could learn a thing or two from them.

“Shut up, Discord,” I grumbled.

“BE STILL!!!!!!” I stumbled as Luna yelled to the heavens with her Royal Canterlot Voice.

The screaming and hysteria ceased as everyone froze, bowing and cowering in terror before Luna. Her eyes were glowing white, having lost her cool, panicking to try to rectify Pinkie’s accusation, and no longer in any festive mood. The only ones who weren’t terrified were myself and Twilight, and some of the animated spiders that were still scurrying about the town with their creepy red eyes.

“Princess, remember! Watch the screaming!” Twilight advised, but Luna wasn’t having it anymore.

“NO, TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Luna exclaimed in the booming voice of the alicorn’s surprisingly powerful pipes. “WE MUST USE THE TRADITIONAL ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE FOR WHAT WE ARE ABOUT TO SAY!” Luna turned to face her subjects, stomping past them, ignoring their trembling bodies as they dared not look at the menacing princess looming over them. “SINCE YOU CHOOSE TO FEAR YOUR PRINCESS RATHER THAN LOVE HER, AND DISHONOR HER WITH THIS INSULTING CELEBRATION, WE DECREE THAT NIGHTMARE NIGHT SHALL BE CANCELED! FOREVER!!!!!!!”

Dark clouds had loomed over the town from Luna’s radiating magic in her angered state. Everyone looked up at her in shock after proclaiming Nightmare Night to be canceled forever as the princess flew off. It took a moment for the town to process everything before it hit them, especially the foals. The best holiday for spooks, scares, and free candy was going to be taken away from them, all because of Pinkie Pie’s random screaming and running from Luna and calling her her evil persona and Luna still new to the fact that some ponies find it fun to be scared. Pinkie had no tact, even when she had the right solution for Twilight to help the confused, troubled princess.

“I can’t believe this. Everything was going so well,” Twilight uttered.

“Luna needs to know the real reason why Nightmare Night was created, and it all isn’t just about who she used to be as Nightmare Moon,” I said. “Twilight, find Pinkie, and if you can, put a muzzle on her muzzle if she can’t stop randomly screaming at every single creepy thing in town.”

“But what about Luna?” she asked.

“I’ll talk to her,” I said. Twilight grimaced, knowing full well how the princesses don’t seem to trust me, or rather, Discord. “I know what to do. Just tell Pinkie to stop screaming. If she won’t listen, tell her Pennywise is gonna find her again.”

“Pennywise?” Twilight asked, confused.

“Oh, she’ll know exactly who that is.” I chuckled creepily, moving one of my hands down over my face, revealing a terrifying clown face with sharp fangs. I made Twilight jump in fright, making the bells on her costume jingle. I quickly moved my hand back up, turning my face back to normal before racing off to catch up with Luna. I knew where she would be heading, spotting her not too far from the town center, back on the ground and about to cross the bridge over the small river. “Luna! Wait! Hold on a second!”

She paused, but when I thought she would turn to look at me, I yelped as a lightning bolt nearly struck me, caused by her glowing horn. “We do not want you near us, Heir of Discord,” she growled.

My shock quickly turned to anger. “It’s Charles! And stop calling me that!” I demanded.

Feeling my body being engulfed in Luna’s aura, I yelped as I was snatched away, floating toward Luna, and held directly in her face. “WE SHALL CALL YOU HOWEVER WE PLEASE!” she shouted with the Canterlot Royal Voice. “THOU ART DISCORD’S FOAL IN SOME WAY, YET PONYVILLE HAS NOT FLED IN TERROR OF YOUR PRESENCE LIKE ME! THOU HAST HEXED ME WITH THINE CHAOS!”

Ok, I was not going to go deaf at the age of fifteen from this annoying loud voice. Snapping my fingers, I created a zipper around Luna’s muzzle, then magically zipped it shut. She glared at me after the surprising spell, mumbling angrily at me while she tried to unzip her mouth back open with her magic.

“First: stop using your Royal Canterlot Voice to speak to me before you rupture the eardrums of every living creature within a mile of your location,” I said while pointing one finger to list my grievances toward her anger being directed at me now. Using that same finger, I flicked her horn, causing her to drop me and grunt in discomfort, making her more furious toward me. “Second: the only chaos I’ve done was joining in the festivities and giving everyone a good fright. If you pin the spiders YOU clearly enchanted to unintentionally scare everyone on me to your sister, I’m getting Twilight to help back me up for being falsely accused.

“And third: I wanted to try to help you learn how to have fun on what’s supposed to be one of the best holidays ever created, but I…kinda lost my head for a minute.” Curiously, I rubbed my neck, just being absolutely sure it wasn’t going to detach or slide off with any subtle movements. Satisfied my chaos wouldn’t do that again, I looked up at Luna, who was still glaring at me for silencing her. “If you swear not to raise your voice to me and throw a tantrum like a child, I’ll get rid of that zipper, and we can talk like normal creatures.” Luna mumbled something, probably about how she’s older than me and doesn’t take orders from a child. “I only want to help. I know you’re struggling to fit in with everything new in this era, and you clearly don’t want to go back to being alone and seen as a monster by your subjects again. But what you did back there…you weren’t making things better by getting angry over Pipsqueak thinking you were going to eat him.”

Luna’s eyes softened, filled with regret as she looked away from me. Seeing she was calm enough to have a normal conversation, I snapped my fingers and zapped away the zipper, freeing her lips. She let out a sigh and leaned over the railing of the bridge.

“This cursed holiday is not what we wanted to be a part of,” Luna morosely said. I stood next to her and hopped up on the railing to join her. “Sister thought it would be a wondrous idea to be with our subjects on this eve. But all we have witnessed is ponies fearing our presence, running and screaming in terror, and reminding me of the evil mare I had become. We expected a glorious feast to celebrate the night, but everypony is in odd clothing, pretending to be other creatures, and hunting for sweets as they raid the homes of their neighbors.”

“And you wanted to try to change it to be more like a festival for the new you,” I added.

“Sadly, nopony would listen to our decree to do so,” Luna mumbled. “Twilight Sparkle had enlisted her aid in helping us to speak nicer. And have fun.” She let out a huff and frowned. “That feat is impossible with the Element of Laughter running around with the foals and causing a fracas when we are around. She even believed we stole the Element of Kindness’ voice to prevent her from screaming while I ‘gobble her up’. ‘Twas another bold-faced lie.”

Oh, right. I forgot Fluttershy got bothered to come out to help Twilight, though she was more afraid of being anywhere outside during Nightmare Night than meeting Luna. Although, from their last meeting with her, her taller, darker blue figure did seem a bit intimidating in the moonlight. And she doesn’t know the scary story made up about Nightmare Moon that helped name Nightmare Night.

“Well, the reason why Pinkie kept saying that was because of the tall tale that’s considered tradition for the holiday,” I said, getting the disgruntled princess’s attention. “Uhh, let’s see if I remember how it went. On this night, every year, it’s said that Nightmare Moon’s spirit comes down from the moon to gobble up the unfortunate ponies in Equestria. To avoid her, they dress up in costumes, tricking her and leaving the kingdom save from her spirit’s hunger. And to avoid her hungry wrath, they offer up candy from their trick-or-treating to a statue of Nightmare Moon so they don’t get eaten.”

“But that is not what we have done as Nightmare Moon!” Luna exclaimed, thankfully not using her enchanted voice this time. “We have been trapped on the moon for a millennia! We do not even have the means to project our very soul to bring fear to ponies!”

“It’s just a made up story!” I reasoned. “All of us know it’s not real. It’s just a fairy tale meant to be scary for the fun of it.”

Luna glanced at me, completely baffled. “...What did thou say? How does something meant to instill fear be considered ‘fun’?”

“That’s the shtick of the holiday: being scared and having fun while dressing in costume and getting candy,” I explained. Snapping my fingers, I zapped my bowl of mixed chaos candy in my hands. “I know Pinkie made things pretty difficult for you tonight, but she freaks out over even the cheapest of scares because she finds it fun…Although, that pony finds everything fun. Even watching paint drying for hours.” I chuckled a little bit, although I'm also a bit scared that I'll eventually see the herd of Pinkie clones running amok in Ponyville. I popped one of the candies in my mouth, then grabbed another and flicked it with my thumb toward Luna, who caught it in her hoof. “The foals love this holiday, too. They dress up and get candy, and some of them like getting scared for fun, too.”

“...Why do we not believe thine claims?” Luna questioned, staring at the piece of candy quizzically.

I hummed curiously, rummaging around my bowl for another piece of candy. Then, an idea hit me. Luna got to scare the foals to see that her number one fan, Pipsqueak, enjoyed being scared. And I know how I can make it more scary to add to the fun. I looked at Luna, wearing the biggest, impish smirk on my muzzle, unnerving the alicorn.

“How would you like to see for yourself with a little…prank?” I asked, taking another candy and slurping it in my mouth, slowly chewing on it with menace in each bite.


After going through my idea with Luna, I headed back into Ponyville, changing my bowl of candy into a trick-or-treat bag. I needed to find Pipsqueak, and maybe a few brave foal volunteers to join me. Passing by the adults taking down the decorations, believing Nightmare Night will officially be over after centuries of its founding, I found Pipsqueak with the Crusaders, the girls helping the colt despite being disappointed as well. I almost forgot they were in the episode, and I couldn’t believe I missed them while they’ve been with Pinkie Pie the whole time. Apple Bloom was dressed as Frankenstein, Sweetie Belle was Dracula, and Scootaloo was a wolf, or rather, a werewolf.

“Hey, guys,” I greeted.

“Oh. Hi, Charles,” Apple Bloom greeted.

“We’re not really feeling up to enjoying the rest of the night if Nightmare Night’s canceled forever,” Scootaloo said.

“I never thought my very first Nightmare Night would be my last,” Pipsqueak sadly sighed.

“Well, the night’s not really over yet,” I said, then held up my bag and shook the contents inside. “We still have a lot of candy. We can stuff our bellies full until we get sick.”

“How did you get any candy?” Sweetie Belle asked. “You didn’t go trick-or-treating with us.”

“And where’s your costume?” Scootaloo added.

“Charles is dressed like somepony called Discord, the Lord of Chaos,” Pipsqueak said.

The Crusaders stared at Pipsqueak, then to me. I gave them a subtle wink, giggling impishly as I wiggled my fingers maliciously. They seemed to take the hint, letting Pipsqueak believe I was a colt dressed in a very believable costume.

“The colt speaks true, the night is far from due.” I squeaked and turned around to see Zecora behind me. I don’t think she’s met me since I arrived in Equestria, and I don’t know if she’s heard about me from the other girls and she thinks I’m the real Discord, too. It was rare to see the zebra shamaness to see her hair hanging down instead of her traditional mohawk, her mane accented with fake spider clip ons and a black cloak shrouding her body, though she still kept on all her gold rings on her hooves and neck, along with her gold earrings. “We still have candy left to give, so Nightmare Moon might let us live.”

I blew a raspberry, pretending the story was just phony bologna. “I’d rather eat my candy than have the adults take it later after running away screaming,” I cockily said, digging into my bag and eating some of my candy.

“But…what if you get gobbled up?” Pipsqueak asked nervously.

“Bah. I can’t get gobbled. I’m the Lord of Chaos,” I claimed.

We then headed off to bring our candy offerings to the Nightmare Moon statue in the safest part of the Everfree Forest. Of course, we had some of the adults accompanying us, including Zecora, Twilight, and Applejack. On the way over, I ate up the last of my candy, making Pipsqueak worry about me, but it was going all according to plan. My bag was empty the moment we arrived, and the foals piled up the last of their candy before the statue. Pipsqueak was the last, letting out a sigh as his favorite holiday was going to end with his first and only time.

“Goodbye, Nightmare Night. Forever,” he said.

As Pipsqueak turned to walk away from the statue, the wind began to mysteriously pick up. Everyone looked startled at the strange weather, looking around cautiously, though they didn’t notice the statue come to life. Luna, pretending to be Nightmare Moon with glowing white eyes and fake vampire teeth, loomed over Pipsqueak, her shadow blocking the moonlight over him making him flinch in fright.

“Citizens of Ponyville! You were wise to bring this candy to me,” “Nightmare Moon” said, her voice loud enough to be intimidating. The ponies stared in horror at the alicorn, and Pipsqueak slowly turned around to join in their terror. She looked down at the offering, but her grin quickly changed to a scowl as she seemed disappointed at the amount of sweets before her. “What is this!? There is not enough tribute to satiate my hunger! Who did not make an offering!?”

That was my cue to be this act’s unfortunate victim. Looking shocked, I glanced at my candy bag and quickly turned it upside down. Nothing came out but a puff of dust, along with a comical dry wheezing sound. Grinning sheepishly, I giggled as “Nightmare Moon” leered at me, immediately finding me out.

“Uhh…I-I can explain?” I uttered.

“This small offering will not suffice, but I will devour this colt instead!” The alicorn swiftly flew at me, baring her fangs while laughing maliciously.

I tried to scramble around and flee, but I was caught before I moved an inch. “AHH! NOOO! HELP! I DON’T WANT TO GET GOBBLED!!!!”

She flew me into the forest, hidden under the veil of the dark shrubbery as I continued to scream. We could hear the foals scream in terror and run away, and without Pinkie the big chicken adding to the trauma. Luna transformed back to normal as we peeked through the bushes, watching the ponies flee. Luna spat out the fake teeth, looking very confused and conflicted by our prank being fun. We stepped out once the area was cleared out, and as traumatizing as it might have been, I couldn’t help but laugh a little as I made it convincing for them.

“I am not certain what you meant for it to do,” Luna said to me. “I feel terrible for frightening them.”

“Are you sure about that?” I asked.

Coming up sheepishly behind Luna, Pipsqueak had come back, he and the other foals not having gone too far to hide after the scary scene. He gently tugged at her flowing, ethereal-like mane, startling her and forcing her to look down at the little colt pirate.

“Um…Princess Luna? I know there’s not gonna be anymore Nightmare Night, but do you suppose maybe you could come back next year and scare us again anyway?” Pipsqueak asked.

Far more perplexed, Luna noticed the other foals watching from a distance. “...Child, art thou saying that thou…likest me to scare you?” she asked.

“It’s really fun!” Pipsqueak said. “Scary, but fun!” Luna’s jaw dropped in disbelief. She glanced at me, where I gave her an “I told you so” grin, then looked back at the excited colt. “Nightmare Night is my favorite night of the year.”

Luna’s lips curled into a smile, somewhat flattered now that she knew all the fear from everyone in town was all a part of the holiday, and was meant to be fun and entertaining. “Well then. We shall have to bring Nightmare Night back!”

“Yay!” Pipsqueak cheered, and catching Luna off guard, he lunged at Luna and hugged one of her forelegs. “You’re my favorite princess ever!”

He then ran off to the other foals to tell them the good news, leaving the stunned alicorn princess as she processed what her first number one fan said to her. “Well, look at that,” I said, snapping her out of her stupor. “Seems like you just became Pipsqueak’s favorite idol. And judging by their reactions to bringing back Nightmare Night, you’ve got several more.”

“They…do like me?” Luna mumbled to herself. She definitely looked like she would finally get some appreciation that she has been wanting for the last millennia. “OH, MOST WONDERFUL OF-!” And there go my eardrums as she exclaimed in her Royal Canterlot Voice her joy. And my ears had fallen off in the process, too. “I mean…Oh, most wonderful of nights.”

I picked up my ears and stuck them back on my head, rubbing the sore appendages as they rang from Luna’s high volume. “Still gotta work on the voice. And not using it within deafening distance.”


Nightmare Night was back in full swing with Luna declaring its return. Now without any fear from everyone when she was in their presence, Luna took part in the festivities without question, or tried to change a holiday tradition to her liking. She even asked me to help scare other ponies and spook them to get more into the spirit of things. It might be because she has a soft spot for Pipsqueak, being her biggest fan and favorite subject, but if kids like being scared on a night like this, she wanted to do her best to give the best to entertain her younger subjects.

It began to get late, and the celebration was beginning to wind down as everyone began to get tired from all the spooks and games. Rainbow Dash eventually found me, though she seemed a bit miffed, and her tail seemed a bit singed. Luna must have zapped her with lightning to scare her like she did to everyone else, giving her a taste of her own karma.

“Uhh, you good, Rainbow?” I asked.

“Don’t ask,” she grumbled.

I shrugged, though I couldn’t hide my grin. Since Fluttershy was probably going to refuse to come out until morning, along with recovering from her run-in with Luna after Twilight drew her out to help with her speaking mannerisms, I wasn’t going to get to bed at her place. I guess Rainbow Dash trusts me enough to crash at her place for the night, especially after seeing some of the pranks I came up with. She flew us back to her cloud house, her storm cloud finally out of lightning bolts and bucked into nothingness, and we went inside.

“That was a fun night,” I said. She muttered something, still sore about getting pranked back. When I glanced at her, I winced and turned away when she stripped out of her costume. Right in front of me. I mean, ponies don’t normally wear clothes, but she had company and couldn’t bother to take off her Shadowbolts outfit in her bedroom? “For goodness sake, Rainbow, have some modesty.”

She ignored me, fully out of her costume, and tossed it aside in the corner to clean later. “Fluttershy’s probably not going to get you until the morning, so you can crash on the couch,” she said. “Just don’t do any funny stuff in your sleep.”

Oh, trust me, I wouldn’t be able to control it if I tried. She headed off to her room with a yawn, partly glad I wasn’t offered to sleep in her bed while she took her couch. I know Rainbow’s not much of a neat freak, but after getting an unfortunate look at a cyan rump shaking out of an outfit, I’d rather not be anywhere near her bed. I tried to get that scene out of my head, even popping my head off my shoulders and shaking it hard to erase that memory, my brain literally rattling about in my skull with jingling sounds.

After reattaching my head, I hopped onto the couch, snapping myself a pillow comforter and a blanket cushion. As I got myself comfortable, I hoped Luna would give Celestia a bit of a good word for me after helping her fit in and enjoy Nightmare Night. Part of me wished the last time I helped Luna gave me enough credibility to show I’m on Equestria’s side, but after knowing I’d wind up in some other dimension, world, planet, or what have you, I wasn’t going to get my hopes up too high.