• Published 9th Oct 2021
  • 3,310 Views, 131 Comments

Generational Talk Show - qiley



Generation 4 meets Generation 5, and they talk about all kinds of things.

  • ...
9
 131
 3,310

Prologue: Portal to Another Generation

“Hey, hey, hey,” a pink mare repeated as she tapped on the mic, “is this thing on?”

“Not yet Pinkie,” replied Twilight, sitting down in her respective chair. Floating over a tea set, Twilight began placing the cups and saucers in front of each chair. Pouring Pinkie and herself a cup, she got comfortable in the seat.

“Thanks!” Pinkie chirped, bouncing into her chair. As they sipped their tea, the door opened, revealing another earth pony and a pegasus.

“Sorry y'all, got caught up finishin’ some chores. The farm sure is busy around this time of year,” Applejack grinned as she rubbed the back of her neck.

“Honestly! If it wasn’t for my help, we’d have to reschedule this whole thing,” Rainbow sighed, slouching into the chair.

“Thank you, Rainbow,” Twilight nodded towards the cyan pegasus.

“It’s what friends do,” Rainbow replied with a shrug.

Twilight smiled, turning her attention to the orange mare, “Sorry if this inconvenienced you AJ, but this was the only time where most of us were open.”

“It’s alright Twi,” Applejack smiled, “plus I was lookin’ forward to being here today.”

“I think we all are, we get to make new friends after all!” exclaimed Pinkie as she took a bite of cake.

“Wait what? Where did that cake come from?” Twilight questioned, tilting her head.

“You’re seriously asking where Pinkie got the cake from?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “This is Pinkie we’re talking about.”

“I guess you’re right…” Twilight sighed, watching as Pinkie devoured the treat.

“I hope I’m not too late,” Fluttershy’s quiet voice filled the room. She was peeking her head through the doorway.

“You’re fine Fluttershy,” Twilight smiled, motioning her to take a seat.

“Oh thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed in relief, “Angel was being so fussy I didn’t know if I’d make it in time.”

“Now all we’re missing is Rarity,” Twilight nodded her head.

“If you don’t mind me asking, who are the other seats for?” Fluttershy asked, looking at the six remaining seats.

“Yeah, I was wondering the same thing,” Rainbow chimed in.

“Same here,” the two earth ponies added.

“It’s a surprise,” is all Twilight said to them, leaving them with no answer.

“I love surprises!” Pinkie shouted gleefully.

“We know, Pinkie,” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

“Sorry for being late, girls,” the last mare said upon entering the room.

“It’s alright Rarity, we wouldn’t have started without you anyways,” Twilight nodded at her. The other girls agreed with nods. “Now that everypony is here, we can finally start!”

“So what exactly did you need us for? I know the basic gist but I was never told who we were meeting,” Rarity questioned, pouring herself a cup of tea.

“Well, as you all know, our era has come to an end!” Twilight said nonchalantly, eliciting a gasp from the other five.

“Now what in tarnation do you mean by that Twilight?” Applejack gave her a quizzical look.

“Yeah Twilight, does that mean like we’re going to die or something?” Pinkie questioned. Another gasp from them, plunging the room into complete chaos. Things along the lines of “I don’t want to die” and “I still have so much I want to do” being thrown around. Fluttershy trembled while Rarity fainted on a couch that suddenly appeared.

“Girls!” Twilight shouted in the Royal Canterlot Voice, garnering their attention. “What I mean is that our generation is over, and a new one will be coming in to take our place.” The mares sighed in relief, knowing that they were not going to meet their deaths.

“But that still doesn’t explain anything. Do you mean our students are going to take over?” Rainbow inquired.

“Yeah, now that I think about it, those six seem to represent us!” Pinkie pondered, “except they’re not, you know, all ponies.”

“Are you referring to Sandbar and company?” Twilight decided to humor them.

“Yup!” Pinkie replied cheerily.

“But then why are there only five extra seats instead of six?” Fluttershy tilted her head. Twilight smiled at this observation.

“Fluttershy is right, there are only five seats,” Twilight agreed, “which means I do not mean those six.”

“Then who are they for?” Rarity asked.

“You’ll see!” Twilight said, smiling. Twilight called for Spike as the five chatted amongst themselves, trying to figure out who they could be meeting. As they speculated, Spike and Starlight made their way into the room.

“Hello Starlight, hello Spike,” Fluttershy greeted.

“Hiya Fluttershy!” Spike replied, making his way towards Twilight.

“So we’re going to be talking to Spike and Starlight?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

“There’s still three more seats, dear.” Rarity motioned to the empty seats.

“Oh no, we won’t be here long,” Starlight assured, “we’re just bringing the guests in.”

Pinkie appeared behind Starlight, looking in every direction. “So where are they? Did you bring in invisible ponies? That would be awesome!”

Starlight chuckled. “No Pinkie, there are no invisible ponies, although that would be cool.”

“Then where are they?” Pinkie asked, tilting her head.

“There in here,” Starlight answered, teleporting in some sort of door. A sign hung above it, reading “Generation Five”.

“Ooo… A magical door!” Pinkie wore a wide grin as she bounced towards the door. “Where does it lead to?”

“Just step right in, Pinkie, we’ll be right behind you. Right girls?” Twilight motioned the rest to the door.

“Are you sure it's safe?” Fluttershy asked.

“I’m with Fluttershy here, Twi,” Applejack looked at the door cautiously.

“Nothing bad will happen, I promise,” Twilight assured.

The five looked at each other, and with a shrug they lined up at the door. Starlight opened the door and a portal appeared in the door. It was reminiscent of a certain mirror they know of. The six mares stepped in, and with a bright light they disappeared from the room. Closing the door, Starlight and Spike looked at each other and shrugged.


“Argh, my head…” Rainbow rubbed her temple. “I thought you promised nothing bad will happen Twi. I have a bad headache, that’s for sure.” The rest of the girls agreed, rubbing their heads as well. That blinding light had not been pleasant at all.

“I meant nothing life threatening. Maybe I should’ve been more specific.” Rubbing the back of her head, Twilight gave a sheepish grin.

“Where are we?” Fluttershy and the girls looked around. They seemed to be on a cliff of some sort, overseeing a town nearby. Luscious grass surrounded a small dirt path, grooves of trees spread around. A salty breeze flowed through their manes and noses. In front of them lay a destroyed lighthouse in the midst of being rebuilt. Peering over the cliff, the sun was just rising, causing the water to sparkle.

“What a view…” Rarity smiled as she took it all in.

“That’s exactly what I said when I first arrived,” Twilight stood beside her, placing a hoof on her.

“You've been here before Twi?” Applejack said, sitting down on the edge of the cliff.

“How else would I get the guests?” Twilight smiled.

Applejack gave a little laugh. “I guess you’re right.”

“So where are the new friends?” Pinkie asked, popping all over the place. “Are they here? Or in here? Or there?” Pinkie appeared in bushes, behind trees, and such.

“Are they in that there town?” Applejack looked over to the town standing far off from the lighthouse.

“Nope, and nope. We’re just going to wait for them here.” Twilight walked over to the lighthouse, motiong the girls to follow her. So they waited. They sat there, taking in the sunrise.

“Celestia’s sunrises are always so beautiful,” Twilight commented.

“Celestia?! Like the legendary sun-rising leader from moons ago?” a voice called out from behind them. The six turned around to see five ponies approaching them. The voice belonged to an orange mare. She was followed by two pegasus, one light pink and the other a smooth white. The light purple unicorn smiled widely. Lastly, the amber stallion followed behind.

“So are these the guests you were talking about?” Rainbow looked at the group. Twilight nodded, still looking at the group in front of her. Although she had already contacted them beforehand, it was through a letter, not through person. She knew virtually nothing about them.

“New friends?” the purple unicorn tilted her head, looking at the orange mare.

“Yup! I got a letter the other day asking for us to be here. Something along the lines of learning and making new friends,” the orange one replied.

“Hello new friends! I’m Izzy Moonbow,” the unicorn looked back at them, smiling. Following suit, the rest of them introduced themselves.

“I’m Sunny Starscout!” the orange mare said.

“I’m Pipp Petals, and this is my sister Zipp Storm,” the pink pegasus motioned towards the white one.

“And I’m Hitch Trailblazer,” the stallion flashed a bright smile.

Twilight stepped forward, revealing both her horn and wings to the crew. A small gasp escaped Sunny’s mouth.

“You’re Twilight Sparkle!” Sunny eyes went wide, her jaw hanging open.

“That’s me!” Twilight replied.

Looking at the other five, a realization hit Sunny. “You’re the Elements of Harmony!”

“Yup! That’s right. Heroes Of Equestria, the best of the best.” Rainbow swooped in, flashing a mighty grin.

“Rainbow, remember to be a little modest,” Rarity rolled her eyes, stepping forward. “Yes dears, that is us.” The rest of the elements walked up to greet them, shaking hooves and exchanging nods, or in Pinkie's case, giving hugs. Introductions were given, and lots of questions.

“So… what exactly are the Elements of Harmony?” Zipp examined the six mares with a careful eye.

“I remember Sunny mentioning them, but I never really paid attention,” Hitch rubbed the back of his neck, earning him a smack on the back of his the head from Sunny.

“They’re the ones who saved Equestria from all those villains. You know, Discord, Triek, Chrysalis, Sombra. All those bad guys,” Sunny explained. “When I read the sender of the letter I thought it was some sort of prank, but I can’t believe you guys are actually here! You’re like my idols.”

“Those are our bigger achievements,” Twilight waved her hoof in the air, “but we really just help spread friendship throughout Equestria.”

“Oh so you’re kind of like us!” Izzy concluded.

“What do you mean by that dear?” Rarity’s eyebrow raised.

“Wait!” Twilight interrupted, “before we continue with any more questions, I think we should go back to the table. I sort of want to record our conversations.” Looking at one another, Sunny and crew decided that would be fine. Twilight's horn lit up, making another door appear. This one read “Generation Four”.

“Just a heads up, you might get a little headache going through,” Rainbow said with a wink. The eleven ponies walked through the portal, and with a bright light, them and the door disappeared.

Author's Note:

Okay I understand this was a very lackluster chapter, but it was just introductions and such. I wanted to set how they came across each other. I promise the talk shows will go more in depth with questions. If you want to see the ponies talk about any topic, feel free to comment!

Also how do you guys feel about it being dialogue heavy? It would make sense for me but I would like to hear your thoughts.