• Published 1st Oct 2021
  • 452 Views, 2 Comments

Common Senseless - DakariKingMykan



Rarity learns a lesson about giving a fair chance.

  • ...
37
 2
 452

Act 1: Who's Not in

ACT ONE

One week later, Spike and Sassy were minding the store while everything was being setup in Canterlot Town Square for the big event.

The stage and walkway was completed, curtains, and lights were setup, and even models pre-selected for the show were being brought in.

Still, the show was nowhere near ready to start. The preliminary auditions had to be done first to see who would actually have a chance to compete first. Not everyone could be in the show, or the event would simply go on for too long.

There were lots of pony fashion designers coming in from all over the land. Some who owned and ran stores like Rarity, some who had actually been in fashion shows before, yet most were simple ponies that worked really hard and were just here to try-out and see what others thought, as a step towards getting on their way towards big things.

All of them seemed pretty excited, but none were as excited as Rarity, as she was about to join three other ponies on the panel to see who was in and whom was out.

The three other judges were…


Cowl, the head-judge: A red unicorn stallion with a dark mane. He worked as a Fashion Entrepreneur, and had judged many contests from all over Equestria. He spoke with an English accent, and seemed pretty strict and looked hard to impress.

Glitter Bug: A yellow unicorn mare with a light blue mane with silver streaks that sparkled in the sunlight. She had been modeling for fashion ever since she was a filly, and claimed she had insight on clothes and outfits without even having to wear them.

Wind Breaker: A light green unicorn mare with a yellow mane which was straight at the top, and curled around the edges. She also wore a pair of tinted shades over her eyes. She was the owner of a chain of fashion outlets in Las Pegasus, and really claimed to know her stuff.


All three of them seemed to resemble a traffic light because of their respective colors-- Red, Yellow, and Green.

Rarity had already met her fellow judges and were now strolling with them along the grounds making inspections of the setups.

“I really can’t begin to tell you how ecstatic I am to be working with you all.” she complimented. “Oh, why, the public knowledge of me judging with you is bound to increase publicity to my own business as well.”

She was able to picture it all now…!

Hordes and hordes of ponies coming to her shop in Canterlot and Ponyville.

“It’s Rarity!”

“…The greatest Fashion Judge in the world.”

Ponies would buy her stores clean, and pay her so much money, she could buy her very own castle, and even her own princess garbs.

Stallions from all over would line up to ask for her hoof in marriage and shower her with praise and gifts.


As her fantasy ended, she found herself staring into space, giggling softly at such hopes.

Then she snapped herself back into reality. “Again, I am most honored.”

“Darling, it is our pleasure too.” replied Wind Breaker. “Someone with your expertise and visions of these creations will be a wonderful asset to the festival, and as you said, the publicity shall sky-rocket your profits and much more.”

Rarity felt very flattered and blushed softly.

Then she heard Cowl giving the workers a bit of a rough talk.

“You call these curtains? I’ve seen dirty socks hanging from a crusted shack ceiling with more dignity than THIS you’ve hung up.”

The workers felt insulted, and would have loved to have given him a rough time, but they didn’t want to ruin the show, so they kept right on working.

“Well, that wasn’t very nice.” said Rarity.

“Ah, don’t mind him.” said Glitter. “It’s just his way of being opinionated, and it’s also why he’s world-renowned.”

She levitated up a magazine of Cowl’s which had the most astounding styles of outfits in them, and very nice comments; and even a few which read:

“I had misjudged this talented youngster before. I’m glad he took my advice to make himself better.”

“Ye who was once horrid and disgusting made me smile months later.”

“Nice to see some ponies get the message and change their ways like their outfits.”

Rarity thought the clothes were nice, but the comments seemed to make her a bit uneasy.

“Well, anyways…” she said, “If there is anything that I can do at all…”

“Nah, just stick with us, and you’ll do fine.” said Glitter. “I know “Fine” when I see it.”

Rarity held in a giggle.


Soon, it was time for the judges to begin preliminary judgment to allow the entries a chance to compete.

However, Rarity noticed a large pile of papers on one of the tables behind the curtains. These were much of the entry forms of the all the entries who had sent in or signed up.

“My goodness!” she exclaimed. “So many entries; we could be here all day.”

“Oh, no, we won’t.” replied Wind Breakers. “Those are all the rejects.”

Rarity looked puzzled. “Rejects?”

“That’s right; “Rejects.” teased Cowl “…As in those who don’t belong here, and we sent them home to their mummies.”

Now Rarity was concerned, “But… but they haven’t even had a chance to audition yet. Imagine how disappointed they shall be.”

“Oh, puh-lease…” retorted Cowl. “Half of them shouldn’t even be here in the first place. They got no degree, no background, and no chance. So why bother to put up with them? It just makes the job easier.”

“You said it yourself,” added Wind Breaker “We’d be here all day if we had the view that many applicants.”

Glitter nodded, “It’s just common sense, and logical knowledge. Only those who have actual talent and skill should be allowed to even think of being here. Not some flimsy wannabes who wish to use fashion for frivolities.” said Glitter. “Don’t you agree, Rarity?”

She sounded like she was trying to give Rarity an ultimatum, causing her to grow really nervous inside.

She was already starting to dislike this trio for their attitudes, but this was still a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for her.

Did she dare give it up?

She could already look beyond the curtains…

So many disappointed ponies were sadly walking away, having been told earlier they were rejected from the auditions due to lack of degrees in sewing or fashion credentials.

Some were in tears, others felt in disgrace, and a few even looked as if their lives were over!

“Rarity?” called Cowl. “Are… you… with us?”

Rarity still stalled for a moment, but then she answered, “Happy to be onboard.”