• Published 28th Sep 2021
  • 1,543 Views, 116 Comments

Timberjack: Season 1 - Heart of Oak - True Edge

  • ...
1
 116
 1,543

1:1 - The New Mare in Town

Author's Note:

Before we get into this, I just want to thank everyone for the positive response and feedback this story is getting. It means a lot, really.

:twilightsmile: Harmonia Invictus!

Applejack stood, frowning slightly, while the smell of cooking fritters drifted over and teased her nose. It had been a long few days, on the farm, what with them being personally requested by Princess Celestia to cater the Summer Sun Celebration, this year. Add onto that the multitude of relatives from as far south as Appleoosa and as far West as Applewood coming to stay, and they'd all had their hooves full. She was a little surprised that Aunt and Uncle Orange hadn't come down from Manehattan, but then they were busy folks.

All in all, it had been exhausting, and it wasn't even over yet. Though the town was already in full festive mood, and the gathering of Apples mirrored this with their loud, rambunctious nature, the Celebration did not start until tomorrow morning, when Princess Celestia would raise the sun from Town Hall, in the middle of Ponyville. Still, tiring though it had been, it had also served as quite a nice distraction, for Applejack, and she had genuinely found her spirits rising from being around so many of her kin, as well as the festive atmosphere.

But, right now, she was frowning. She wasn't upset, or angry. No, she mostly confused. She was, however, also very confused as to why she was confused. After nearly seven years of dealing with her, the farm mare would have thought Pinkie Pie would have run out of things to confuse her with, by this point. However, right now, the crazy pink mare with the flyaway mane and tail was standing before her, vibrating like she'd just eaten her own weight in sugar, three times over.

Eating her own weight in sugar once was nothing out of the norm for the young pony, and yet she somehow managed to stay rather slim of build. Applejack would have been jealous, if gaining extra weight was something she ever really felt worried about.

"I'm sorry, Pinkie Pie, but I cain't understand y'all when ya get to talkin' that fast. Could ya slow down, please?" She asked, frowning as the mare took a large breath in and held it for a minute, almost seeming to inflate as she did so.

"I'm really so sorry Applejack but I'm just so excited and a bit nervous but mostly excited I should try and come up with a name for that but not right now it's not important right now I'm just so excited because there's a new pony in town and I met her at the train station and she has the cutest little dragon with her and she was all like 'How are you?' and I was all like 'GASP' because I realized that I'd never seen her before and if I've never seen her before that must mean she's new in town and if she's new in town it means she needs a Welcome to Ponyville Party stat! Plus I felt a great disturbance around her that felt veeeerrrry plot relevant."

Applejack nodded slowly. "O . . . Kaaaaay." She said, working through the sentence while marveling, not for the first time, at the baker's evident infinite lung capacity. "So, there's a new mare in town, and yer wantin' to throw her a party?" She asked, and Pinkie nodded, rapidly, her head making an odd jangling sound, as though a load of loose items were rattling around in her mane. Which was probably exactly what it was, now Applejack thought about it. "Kay. Whassat gotta do with me?" She asked, frowning again.

Pinkie sputtered, before hopping around the orange farm mare. "Pfft! Applejack! I'm here to invite you to the party! Duh! I mean I've got a busy schedule ahead planning this party along with four other parties going on for the Celebration that are set to happen tonight and I already heard that the new pony's going to be staying at the Golden Oaks while she's here and-"

With a small sound, Applejack put her hoof in Pinkie's mouth, stopping the mare from bouncing around and talking, all in one motion. "Pinkie! Calm down!" The farm mare said, frowning, before she grimaced and pulled her hoof back, causing a dollop of Pinkie spit to go flying off to the side.

Pinkie put a hoof to her chin, humming to herself as she smacked her lips. "Hmmm . . . Dirt, metal . . . no, no, not metal, that's-!" Her blue eyes went wide before she grimaced. "Errr. You don't have to come, if you don't want to, Applejack! I won't make you! You know that!" She said, starting to vibrate away from the farm mare, who frowned back at her. "It'll be at the Golden Oaks, tonight at 7:00! If you, you know, wanna come!" Pinkie said, before giving a little wave and disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

Applejack, still frowning, shook her head, squeezing her eyes shut and reaching up to rub her forehead. "Damn it, Pinkie, that's a library. Y'all can't be holdin' one o' yer parties there!" She said, knowing it wouldn't do any good. Pinkie was friendly to everypony, and as sweet as one of her own cupcakes, but talking to her for too long always tended to give Applejack a headache.


Appplejack had just taken a load of fresh pies out of one of the big outdoor, stone ovens that had been set up under an awning by the barn, when she felt a rush of wind blow past overhead, scattering leaves and detritus around. This was immediately followed a yelled curse word, and a loud crashing sound.

Turning and blinking, the earth pony discovered that one of the tables that had been set up to allow the pies and fritters to cool before being packaged for delivery into town tonight had been totally demolished. Well, maybe not totally, but it was close. Only two legs were still standing, the other two laying in splinters around the area, while the table itself was broken in the middle, around it lay a horrific carnage of smashed apple products, and in the middle was a pile of of damaged pies.

Out of the pile was sticking up a rainbow colored tail, and a cyan flank. Applejack gritted her teeth and narrowed her eyes.

The polychromatic tail of the pegasus wriggled as she tried to get free, grunting as the pile of smashed pies shifted and fell about, but not enough to budge. Applejack carefully sat the tray of pies down before, growling under her breath, stalking over to the downed mare. With little hesitation, she grabbed her tail in her teeth and yanked, pulling her out of the pile to land on the ground in front of her.

"Rainbow Dash!" Applejack snapped, looking down at the mare's tousled mane as she spat and wiped at her face and tongue with her hooves.

"Eewww! Pie! Grodie!" She groaned, before turning and looking up at Applejack. "Oh, hi, AJ!" She said, idly waving a hoof.

"Dash." Applejack said, stoically. Internally, she was . . . genuinely feeling like beating the cocky mare into a pulp might not be a bad thing. She'd had a long time to work on such urges though, and the only sign of them externally was tensing to her jaw, which made Big Mac move a little closer, in case he needed to restrain her. "What are you doin'?"

Rainbow Dash stood up, stretching her wings, only to wince as one spasmed. "Ouch! Ow! That's a, yeah, that's a sprain. Oof!" She groaned, wincing again. "Huh? Oh, I was practicing my stunts!" She said, smiling again, holding her wing a bit stiffly, before looking around. "Oh, look! Fritters!" She said, picking one up off the ground. "Do ya mind?" She asked, going to take a bite of it without waiting for an answer.

Applejack snatched it out of her hoof, holding it away from her. "Matter of fact. I do." She said, and Dash's ears folded back to her head.

"Jeeze, Applejack, what got up your ass?" She asked, and AJ bristled.

"Language!" She said, looking over at Apple Bloom, who was innocently trying to pretend that she hadn't been listening in.

"Huh?" Dash said, before shrugging, only to wince again when it made her wing move wrong.

Applejack sighed, frowning, and shook her head. "Honestly, Rainbow Dash, as much as you crash, it's a wonder t' me y'all ain't dead by now!"

"Hey, I don't crash that often!"

"This is the third time this week, Dash. Also, y'all ain't practicin' over my farm."

"Why not?!" Dash snapped, glaring at the orange mare, taking a step closer.

Applejack felt a shiver run down her spine, and the urge to bare her fangs at this upstart mare who thought she could barge into her territory and tell her what to do! She could easily show her where she belonged. No. No, that wasn't her talking. That was It, and It wasn't allowed to make decisions for her! Applejack closed her eyes, taking a breath and let it out, before shaking her head and looking up, eyes glinting slightly. She lifted a hoof, about to give the younger mare a piece of her mind, but they were interrupted by a voice, aged and creaky.

"How's yer bank account, young'n?" Both of the younger mares turned to see Granny Smith walking up on the other side of Rainbow Dash from Applejack. The mare stepped up and stopped, glancing at Rainbow Dash.

"Huh?" Dash asked, looking at the old mare with a confused expression on her face.

"Granny." Applejack sighed, putting her hoof to her face with a groan.

Granny simply smirked and gestured to the broken table and ruined food, raising an eyebrow.

Rainbow Dash followed her gaze, opening her mouth briefly as she looked at the pile of debris. She raised a hoof, as though to make a point, before frowning and tilting her head. "Errr." She said, eloquently, putting her hoof to her chin. "I don't get it." She finally said, and Applejack facehoofed again.

Granny continued. "Welp, way I figger it, dat dere's an eighty bit table, an' another . . . . ohhhh . . . . say, two-hundred bits worth o' lost food on the ground." The old mare said, turning an evil eye on Rainbow Dash, who went wide eyed and took a step back, wings flaring out.

"Uhhhhh!" Dash said, looking around quickly. "I, uh, what?!" She stammered.

"Well? How you gonna pay us back fer dat, then, young'n?!" Granny pressed, moving in closer, staring Dash in the eyes. The slim, petite pegasus gaped like a fish, before gulping.

"Uhh . . . I guess . . . I could help . . . On the farm?" She said, flinching, even as Applejack went wall eyed.

"WHAT?!" The orange farm mare exclaimed, turning a glare on her Granny, who simply smirked, tapping Dash's chest with a hoof.

"Next Monday, Six A.M. sharp, t' help out wit' the harvest, or ye'll be payin' fer it outta pocket, hear now?!" The old mare said, sharply, and Rainbow Dash nodded rapidly.

"Y-Y-Yes, ma'am! M-May I go, now?" She said, gulping again, never taking her eyes off of the withered elder pony before her.

Granny stood for a moment, glaring into her eyes, one hoof on her chest floof. . . . before her face split into a friendly smile and she stepped back. "Well, sure, young'n! Ain't gonna be doin' much work for the next week anyway, with the Celebration and all! Now g'wan and git!"

The polychromatic pegasus didn't need to be told twice. "OkaythanksforthefritterApplejackI'llseeyouMonday!" She rattled off as she beat her wings and took off like a rocket, leaving a rainbow colored trail in her wake, the fritter mysteriously disappearing from Applejack's hoof as she went.

Applejack stared after her, before rounding on her grandma with a growl. "Granny! What the hay?!" She snapped, eyes glowing a bit brighter. Granny paid her zero mind and waved a hoof at her.

"Oh, hush it, young'n, y'all could use somepony yer own age around t' talk to!" She said, chuckling as she turned to walk away, Applejack quickly falling into step beside her.

"But . . .Dash is two years younger'n me! And she's the laziest damn pony I ever met!" She exclaimed, earning her a glare from Granny Smith.

"Language, Applejack!" She said, and AJ tightened her mouth, glancing over at Apple Bloom, who was pretending not to laugh behind a hoof. Applejack's glare worsened, as she turned and caught up with Granny, who was walking back towards the porch.

"Granny, I-" The older mare cut her off, however, turning on her and looking at her, square in the eyes.

"Applejack! I ain't gonna hear no more 'bout it! That filly's comin' to help, and that's all there is to it! Now, I think you should get back to work on them pies, don't you?"

Applejack stiffened up, eyes wide, as she felt her temper, which had been flaring up to a boiling point, suddenly get hit by a wave of ice water that originated from the old mare's glare. She gulped, surprised this wasn't flipping any of the triggers she knew so well. Then again, Granny rarely ever snapped like this, and she did practically raise Applejack, after . . . well, after.

Applejack took a breath and looked down, not meeting her elder's eyes. "Yes, Granny." She said, begrudgingly, not able to keep the soft rumble of a growl from her voice.

"Dat's better! Now, I'mma be nappin' on the porch! If'n y'all need me, ya c'n wake me, but otherwise don't holler 'til dinner's ready!" She said, before turning and making her way up to her favorite rocker on the front porch of the house.

Applejack just sighed and grumbled, turning with a shake of her head to go back to her work, eyes still glowing slightly, like emerald embers in the dark. . . .


Applejack pulled the basket out of the bubbling oil, the long handle gripped between her teeth, while she made sure to stay far enough away to not get popped by it. She turned and tipped the basket, sliding the perfectly browned fritters out onto a plate covered in a towel to soak up the grease.

She was still in a rather bad mood, after what happened with Dash. Part of her was angry with Granny for taking control out of her hooves like that, and another was mad at herself for letting her. And the rest of her was mad at the other two parts, so she was just in general not in a good mood. She was also still ticked off at Dash, as well.

The pegasus, at only sixteen years old, had only very recently moved to Ponyville, a few months earlier, and while apparently she did her job on the weather team well enough, Applejack couldn't see it. All she knew was that every time she had run into her, she was either doing some fool stunt or other that was bound to end in property damage, if not herself or some other pony getting hurt, or she was laying around on a cloud or up in a tree like some damn cat or something, sleeping.

There were few things Applejack could not abide: Liars, reckless fools and layabouts were a few of the top, and from all she could see, Dash was definitely the latter two, and possibly the former. Certainly some of the stories she told seemed far fetched at best. Who'd ever heard of a 'rainboom' anyway? Sounded like malarkey, as far as Applejack was concerned.

Her brooding thoughts were interrupted by an odd feeling running down her spine. It was similar to the feeling she got when being watched, or when she'd heard something out of place. She turned, glancing around, trying to find the source of the feeling. She finally found it when she flicked her ears, catching the sound of an unfamiliar voice. It was fairly flat and mundane sounding, the sort of accent she'd come to associate with Canterlot's middle class, after having dealt with them a few times, although this one didn't seem quite so snooty.

Frowning, she turned the fire down under the oil, keeping it warm, but keeping it from boiling over, and walked out of the tent that the fryers had been set up in, to see what was going on. She paused seeing several of her extended kin gathered around and talking to a unicorn mare she'd never seen before. She was lavender, with a darker purple mane and tail, both marked with a deep pink stripe. Next to her, a parchment and quill in claw, was a small, slightly chubby looking, purple and green dragon. Applejack blinked, realizing this must be the 'new mare' Pinkie had been going on about. The mare's cutie mark was a six pointed, asymmetrical star, overlaid onto a smaller white star, and surrounded by several smaller stars on each side.

Noticing the particular cousin who was busy talking to her, and the strained look on the mare's face, Applejack decided she best intervene. Besides, she wanted to know who this trespasser was for herself.

Eyes flickering slightly, the earth pony mare made her way over, head and ears up, tail slightly lifted as well. She trotted up, the small group of cousins and other kin parting before her, though Apple Bloom stayed close, an excited smile on her face, as did Big Mac, who frowned slightly, seeing the way his sister was carrying herself.

"AJ! AJ! We gotta visitor! She's from Canterlot! The Princess sent her!" Apple Bloom said, bouncing around energetically, and Applejack frowned. The Princess? It must have something to do with the Celebration, then.

"I see that Apple Bloom." AJ said, thinning her mouth as her eyes once more turned to the scene in front of her.

The stallion was standing, a smirk on his face while he leaned forward, blonde mane falling into his eyes in what some mares might have thought was a charming sort of way. Applejack thought it made him look like he needed a comb, and from her expression, the stranger agreed.

"My, y'all're really from Canterlot?" He asked, grinning, green eyes sparkling. "Well, I always heard Canterlot girls was beauties, but . . . I'd never had proof, 'til now." He said, winking, and the mare's mouth dropped open.

"Uhhh-uhhh-buuhhhh. . . . " She said, eloquently, and the stallion clearly thought he'd done something impressive. Applejack figured it had less to do with him and more to do with the mare herself. She seemed a bit nervous, eyes flicking back and forth to all the ponies who had grouped up around her, and her ears were snaked back against her head, tail tucked low.

In response, Applejack's own posture relaxed a little bit. This mare was clearly uncomfortable about being here, and didn't like the attention she was receiving. The farm mare still felt caution would be wise, but she didn't feel any threat from the unicorn.

"Braeburn!" She snapped, as the stallion turned to speak to the unicorn again, and he jumped near out of his hat, before turning and looking at her, eyes wide.

"C-Cousin Applejack! I was . . . just welcomin' our guest-"

"Eeyup. I c'n see that. How 'bout you go git the next batch o' fritters on, hm?" She said, narrowing her eyes, and the stallion gulped, nodding, and slunk off quickly. She smirked slightly, before turning and looking at the rest of the group, who had spread out a bit when she arrived. "Go on, now, all y'all! Ya got better things to be doin' than botherin' a guest!" She said, and they all followed suit, but for Apple Bloom, who simply stood near her sister, staring at the unicorn and, more specifically, the little dragon beside her, who had his eyebrows raised and was leaning back away from the filly a little bit.

"Apple Bloom. . . . " AJ sighed, reaching up and pushing her hat up over her brow.

"Yeh, sis?" The little filly asked, not looking away from the drake, who was starting to sweat, it seemed.

"Yer starin'." Applejack said, and Apple Bloom jumped a bit, looking up at Applejack, before blushing and looking away ashamedly.

"Oh . . . Sorry, sis!" She said, biting her lip, and Applejack sighed again, smiling slightly.

"It's alright, but t'ain't me y'all need to be apologizin' to." She said, giving her little sister a pointed look, then looking to the dragon and the mare. The latter seemed to have calmed down a bit, now, head a bit higher and ears more perked, paying attention to the exchange in front of her with a small smile on her face.

Apple Bloom scraped a hoof on the ground and glanced at the drake. "'m sorry." She said, blushing again.

Silence reigned for a second, before the unicorn mare glanced down at the drake and quirked an eyebrow. "Spike." She said, lifting an eyebrow, and the drake started, blinking and smiled awkwardly.

"Oh, uh . . .Yeah, it's no prob." He said, shaking himself as though out of a fugue. He stepped forward, nodding his head, and Applejack felt a sudden and completely unwarranted urge to step between him and her sister. She grit her teeth, frowning and held off. "My name's Spike. What's yours?" The drake asked, holding out a claw. The filly hesitated only for a second, before reaching out her hoof and giving his claw a shake.

"I'm Apple Bloom!" She said, smiling, and she and the drake stepped aside, beginning to talk a bit. Applejack kept an eye on them, but took a breath and let it out slowly, turning her gaze back to the unicorn.

"Sorry 'bout that. I promise, we ain't savages . . . or . . . whatever ya'd call Braeburn." She said, rolling her eyes, before holding out a hoof. "I'm Applejack, I own Sweet Apple Acres." She nodded, smiling a bit as the unicorn extended her own hoof, bumping it against the farm mare's a little awkwardly.

"How about 'creep'?" She said, smirking a bit, before straightening up, shaking her head, taking on a more professional aire. "My name is Twilight Sparkle. The Princess sent me to check up on the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration." She frowned, glancing up into the sky, as though checking where the sun was, before her horn lit, aura opening one of her saddle bags and pulling out a watch, which she checked. "I'm here to see how the food preparation is coming along." She said, barely looking up at Applejack as she frowned at the watch before exchanging it for a small book that she pulled from her bags.

Applejack frowned at the mare's apparent lack of interest, or else preoccupation, and grunted. "Alright, well . . . If y'll come along, we c'n head over to where the food's bein' loaded and shipped on down to town. We already sent two loads off, earlier."

"Actually, I think I can tell this is in good hooves." Twilight said, barely glancing up from the book. Looking at the cover, Applejack spied a gilded unicorn's head crest set in the front of the binding, which looked to be . . . was that leather? Must be an old book.

"You don't wanna see it for yerself?" Applejack asked, frown deepening, as the unicorn waved a hoof at her without looking up.

"I don't really need to." She said, turning to leave. "Spike? Come on, we're leaving! I've still got three other ponies to check in with-"

"Four!" The drake called out, nodding and smiling to Apple Bloom, before waddling quickly over to the mare.

"Jeeze . . . Four! I want to get this over with! I have more important things to do than this!" The mare said, and Applejack felt herself bristle up. Ah. There was that notable Canterlot 'charm' she'd run into so often before.

The mare thought about calling out, stopping the unicorn and setting her attitude straight. However, upon seeing that she was heading for the path off the farm, the beast inside calmed itself, and her own temper cooled as well. Forget about the silly mare. Good bye and good riddance, was what her Ma would've said.

Sighing, she shook her head, before turning and heading back towards the food cart. Miss Twilight 'Stick-up-her-plot' Sparkle might not want to check and make sure things were getting done right, but Applejack had standards, and-

"Dadblast it, Braeburn! The cider goes in the cart on the left! That 'un's fer the fritters! Git outta the way! Y'all wanna stand around chattin' with Caramel, do it on yer own time!"


Applejack leaned on the back wall of the building, breathing in deep, ragged breaths through her open mouth, eyes wide and glowing.

The various Apple family members had scattered a while ago, heading off to settle in for the night, or in some cases, heading off to parties in town, like the one Pinkie was throwing for that unicorn. Applejack had personally doubted that the purple mare would appreciate the effort, and had thought about going just to see her reaction to a Pinkie Pie Surprise Party.

The thought had struck her as being funny enough that, in spite of the issues she'd been having with her . . . 'temper' for most of the day, she'd set off.

The edge of the old Town center was about a ten minute walk, mostly through her own apple fields, and the mare had enjoyed the slight breeze that was blowing, and the way the approaching sunset bathed the skies in amber and reds. She had hit town, thinking she'd probably show up a bit later than the seven o'clock time that Pinkie had given her.

The Golden Oaks Library, set into an old, enchanted tree from some long ago time in the area's history, was on the other side of the Town Square from Sweet Apple Acres. She made her way down the main streets, tipping her hat to a few ponies here and there that were most likely making their way to parties as well. Much of the town would remain awake, enjoying the festivities, until the Princess rose the sun in the morning. As she stepped out into the open air of the square, she admired the view of the old fountain with it's statue sat in the center. Most folks assumed it must be some important pony from the town's past, but in reality the Mayor had just thought it looked nice. Supposedly the sculptor had modeled it after his niece.

The shadow of the great tower of the Ponyville Town Hall and Courthouse, locally nicknamed 'The Pavilion', loomed almost ominously against the encroaching dark, as, where ever she was at that moment, Celestia, punctual as ever, brought her sun down, and lifted the moon up. The glowing orb crested the Eastern horizon, the grim visage of the Mare in the Moon looking out over the land below.

And she felt angry

It was the only way Applejack could describe the feeling that had washed over her like a storm surge as the light of the moon threw everything into harsh shadows. It was as though the moon was glaring down at her, An intense feeling of . . . rage, and hate, and everything else dark and violent that might fester inside a pony's heart seemed like it was burning all along the orange mare's skin, under her fur.

She had felt it as the emotions all slammed into her like a runaway cart, and she had managed to stagger into this alley behind one of the many houses running along the edges of the town center, before violently losing her lunch all over the wall and the ground in front of her. Her legs shook as she felt like she had emptied anything that might have been inside of her, and yet she still felt like something was clawing its way up from her guts.

"No . . . No, no, nonono. Please." She stammered, leaning against the wall, trying to ground herself in the here and now, to remind herself who and what she was, as she felt her own fear wash over her, mixing with the sensations the moon was pressing down onto her. She didn't understand. It had never been this bad before! Certainly not the night before the Celebration! What was going on? She gasped as she saw a green glow, and felt magic crawling along her skin, through her fur, across her body in a wave, and she felt like her mind was starting to blur around the edges, even as certain thoughts began to sharpen, to take on more vivid reality. Thoughts of the hunt, of the prey and the predator, of territory and pack. . . .

"NO!" She begged, flailing, winding up falling to the ground, into the puddle of her own vomit as she attempted to fight the transformation that was slowly beginning to slip over her body and into her soul. This couldn't happen! Not here! Not now! Ten years! Ten years she had gone without letting this get out of control, without letting it catch her off guard, and now. . . .

Big Mac's words flickered through her mind, about needing to find a different way to deal with this, just as his scent, familiar and close, reached her nose. At first, all it brought was relief. If she could just hold on, keep a grip, he could her get back to the farm, get to the shed and the cell underneath. . . .

As the thought went through her mind, she felt a sudden jerk and a twist, deep in her guts, as another, stronger wave of green tinted magic washed over, burning her up from the outside in as her mind seemed to fracture between hope and fear and rage and the urge, the need to get away from the one who would lock her up in that hole in the dirt again.

And so, when Big Mac came around the corner to investigate what had sounded like his sister's voice, he found himself face to snarling muzzle with his sister's own, personal demon.