• Published 25th Sep 2021
  • 11,897 Views, 95 Comments

When Magic Returns - Lets Do This



While picking up the pieces of her shattered home, Sunny has an unexpected visitor: an old, old friend that she never knew she had...

  • ...
16
 95
 11,897

When Magic Returns

They had been asked to gather in the Thunderstream Airship Station, beneath Zephyr Heights, in its grand Departure Hall, before the elegant stained-glass doors leading out to the landing platform.

Asked, that was the word. She disliked the word summoned, saying it just wasn't her way.

They stood together, the three of them: a pegasus Princess, a unicorn artisan, and an earth-pony research student. They looked at each other uncertainly, even though they had been friends as long as they could remember. Because they were also her friends. And she had been increasingly distant of late.

Before them, the doors swung open.

And she strode in.

Tall, confident, wearing her gilded crown, peytral, and armored shoes, her flowing mane and tail wafting in the call of ethereal forces she alone sensed, the Princess of Equestria walked up to them, alone and without guard or escort. And bowed to them.

"Thank all you for coming. I would have visited each of you individually, rather than make you travel here. But time is short. And this is a thing which must be done together."

Her horn blazed, and her magic brought forth a blue leather carryall with her double-star cutie mark embossed on it. From it she brought forth the Friendship Gem, symbol of her rule and of all she stood for: three separate crystals bound into a single setting: a winged circle of emerald, a spearhead horn of blue sapphire, and a lens-like core of clear diamond.

She held it briefly in her magic, staring at it sadly. It had already faded, its magic drained away. It was little more than decorative artwork now. Without further word, she placed it on the ground before her, before her friends. With a firm press of an armored forehoof she broke the Gem's setting, splitting it into its three constituent pieces. Which she then presented, one to each of them, as they stared at her in open-mouthed shock.

"I need to give these back to you," she said. "Because it's going to be up to you now. To remember and pass down what you've learned, to the generations that follow. To continue on, where I no longer can. To keep alive the spark of Friendship in hopes that one day, maybe, it will find those in whom it can burn brightly once more."

She bowed to them again, then turned and strode away.

"Wait!" the earth-pony called. "How will we know who to give these to? Or when?"

She paused, looking back, and smiled.

You will know, she said. Her voice was already insubstantial, like the wind itself. She was fading away, even as they watched. When magic returns, you will light the way...

Her smile faded somewhat.

... but you yourselves will not see it.

And then she was gone. The three of them looked at each other, at the gemstones held in their hooves. They had already begun to forget why they had gathered there. But they nodded to each other. They were still friends, and they would do what they had to do.

They trotted out onto the platform, looked up at the sky. It looked perfectly normal now: clear and blue and dotted with a few clouds, with a warm sun shining overhead. Nothing unusual or strange about it, not in the least.

That was what made it so terrifying.

------------------------------

Many, many moons later...

Sunny Starscout sighed, staring up at the ruins of her home. The lighthouse tower had been sheared off, and lay in a shattered ruin on the downslope of the promontory. The front doorframe of the house was warped, the door immobile. And just looking through the fractured ground-floor windows, Sunny could see shattered stone and plaster and dust everywhere inside. Just like on the lawn outside.

It was going to take a lot of work putting this place back together.

But at least she had friends to help. Hitch and the other ponies had headed up the coast to Maretime Bay's city center, to gather other ponies and supplies to help her. Leaving Sunny alone, at her request, with her thoughts.

Plus her new wings and horn.

Sunny flapped the glimmering, ethereal wings experimentally. She peered up at the gleaming, insubstantial horn on her forehead.

This is going to take some getting used to, she thought.

It was scary, but also kind of exciting. Like it always was, any time Sunny set out to learn anything new. First you knew nothing at all, and had no idea where to start and it was all just completely overwhelming. Then you learned just enough to have a sense of what was what, and also how little you still knew. Just enough to be dangerous, Dad would say, with that whimsical smile of his. And then you slowly, steadily became an expert, to the point where you had to check yourself, to look hard for the places where you still didn't know everything yet.

At least I have that, she told herself. I know how to deal with the unknown. I can face this. Thanks, Dad...

She got up and trotted over to the fence near the cliff edge. She hooked her forehooves over it and stared up at the still-darkening sky, with its shimmering auroral lights. That was going to take some getting used to as well. The return of magic had given everything a subtle glow, a fringe of extra thereness, which Sunny could now sense. It had to be what Izzy called ponies' "sparkle": the magic reaching out, along its own dimensions or wavelengths or whatever, connecting ponies to the land and the sky and to each other.

That was a lot to take in. Even for the pony responsible for it all.

"This is what I wanted," she told herself firmly. "To bring ponies together. To bring magic back. To have friends, good friends, who were pegasi and unicorns. And soooo... at some point," she added in amusement, "I'm just going to have to stop thinking 'Omigosh, what have I done here', and start dealing with it. Because I want this to work. I'm gonna make it work!"

I'M SURE YOU WILL.

Sunny looked up, surprised. Out of the auroral glow overhead, there was a swirling, shimmering flow of glittering light. It flowed downwards from the sky, swirled down and down, finally settling to the ground beside her. Amazed, and a little nervous, Sunny turned to face it.

It became substantial, resolving into a pony-like shape. A pony with wings, and a horn, just like Sunny's. But this pony also had a crown and a golden armored chestplate and shoes. And the mark on the crown, and on the pony's flank... it was the same as the mark on Sunny's battered blue carryall. The same as the mark she'd seen on the upper pane of the stained-glass doors in the old departure hall in Zephyr Heights -- a doubled star.

Sunny stared in awe at the face smiling down at her. It was familiar. She'd said goodnight to it, every night. To this pony and her five friends, the old wooden toys sitting on the shelf beside her bed.

"Twilight Sparkle?" Sunny gasped, her mouth hanging open.

Twilight smiled. "A pony who remembers me. I'm flattered." And then she paused, as if recalling something. "You know, it feels a little weird, being on the other end of that remark?" Smiling, she sat down on the soft lawn before the ruined lighthouse. Sunny hurriedly did the same, facing her. At the same time, she reached into her blue carryall for her journal, the one with Twilight's star on its cover.

"Oh. My. Gosh," Sunny said eagerly. "I have like, a gazillion questions. Why are you here? Is it part of the magic coming back? Where have you been all this time? Why did magic go away? What drove ponies apart, like this. What happened back then?"

To her surprise, Twilight looked grimly ashamed.

"I'm afraid that I did."

"You?" Sunny stared. "How?"

"I'm the Princess of Friendship," the lavender alicorn said. "Or I was, back then. And I like to think I was a very good one. I felt it was my duty to spread the magic of Friendship far and wide, to ponies and to other creatures as well. And with tons of patience and effort, I finally managed it. Ponies were at peace. There was no more needless fighting or even much bickering. We could devote our resources fully to learning and improving our skills, and to making life better for everypony. We traded ideas and inventions, almost more than food and gems, both amongst ourselves and with the other nations. It was, in a word... nice." She shrugged gently.

"But...?" Sunny asked uneasily.

"I forgot," Twilight answered, "that when ponies know nothing but peace and plenty, they start to take it for granted. They left all the hard work of friendship and the study of magic to me, the Princess of Friendship, and just got on with day-to-day living. Which isn't wrong in itself, except it meant that they no longer understood the true source of friendship."

"Ponies themselves." Sunny nodded. "Like we found out. But, you mentioned other creatures? Other nations? I've been wondering about that. I mean, the stories I've read about you and your friends, they mention all kinds of mythical creatures: dragons, griffons, manticores, bugbears, changelings, even crystal ponies. But there aren't any other lands, any other creatures. Just the three cities, where the three kinds of ponies live: Maretime Bay, Bridlewood, and Zephyr Heights."

Twilight nodded. "Equestria was a land of magic. As the magic faded, most of it slipped away and disappeared, leaving just a bare remnant behind. Your three cities are all that is left of the pony lands. And in another generation or two, who knows? Even this much might have slipped away as well. Your entire world might have simply disappeared. And you'd never even have noticed it."

Sunny goggled. "All because we forgot about magic? But how could that happen?" Sunny gestured to her own wings and horn, seemingly formed of magic itself. "How could we forget about something as wonderful as this?"

"Because, like friendship," Twilight said, "magic is hard. It takes patience and diligent work, even for some of the smallest effects. And after a while, ponies stopped seeing it as a pleasure, and felt it was more of a burden. They felt it was too difficult to be worth the time. And there were plenty of other distractions," she added wryly. "I may have had something to do with that as well. As ponies' learning and technological skills improved, their need for everyday magic fell by the wayside. Why bother with a luminance spell, when you can just flick a switch? And why bother actually going to see and talk to somepony in person, when you can just send them a text?"

"A what?"

Twilight eyed her. "Ask your friend Pipp. She's a natural." She sighed. "And over time ponies became too 'busy', too preoccupied, to maintain the open-mindedness and optimism and creativity that are so essential for magic... and for friendship. Over time, it all just quietly slipped away. When you don't know what it's like having a real friend, it's so much easier to be swayed by an influencer, or a demagogue -- or even just an aggressive bully running a tea-shop."

Sunny blinked in surprise. "You saw that?"

"Mm hmm. Nice dance moves, by the way."

"Thanks!" Sunny smiled. "But, when magic started disappearing, what did you do?"

"At first I didn't even notice it myself." Twilight looked sour. "It happened gradually enough that by the time I knew something was wrong, it was almost too late to act. And in my hurry to do so, I got it wrong. I thought if I could just bring the magic of the three tribes together and give it a tangible, visible focus, I could make it something to be proud of again, something ponies would want to learn about again... together."

Her horn glowed, and she waved a forehoof. In the air before them, three shapes appeared: a winged emerald, a spearhead sapphire, and a diamond lens. With another wave, they came together.

"The Friendship Gem," Twilight said, with wry pride, "a combination of crystals infused with the essence of the magic of all three tribes. Its gleam eternally symbolized the unification of pony magic and friendship. I brought it with me everywhere. Made sure ponies knew what it represented."

"And?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "And... it became one more venerated symbol, much as I myself had become by that point. I was the Princess of Friendship, after all... but what did that have to do with the everyday concerns of ponies, trying to make a living in an increasingly complex, busy, and divided world?"

Twilight shook her head.

"In the end, I was almost too late. The pony tribes were already fractured, isolated from one another. The other lands and realms were already vanishing away, the magic fading. So I did the only thing I could do. I broke the Gem back into its constituent parts, returned them to my closest friends at the time, one pony from each of the three tribes. And I charged them with passing on what they knew of magic and friendship -- and with it, the gemstones, each of them carrying on the tradition amongst each of their tribes."

"The three pony cities..." Sunny nodded. "No offense, but from what my friends and I saw, it doesn't look like they did that great a job."

Twilight shook her head sadly. "They tried. The pegasus princess passed on the gemstone, but not the learning and scholarship behind it, so it ended up little more than a decoration for the royal crown. The unicorn artisan fell on hard times, and lost the gem in a bar bet. The scholar did somewhat better. He passed on his knowledge of history, and even the diamond gem, so that it ultimately came down to you -- though not the understanding of what it was, what it represented."

"Dad?" Sunny gaped. "He knew that gem was in my nightlight, all along? He gave it to me when I was just a little filly! Why didn't he tell me what it was?"

Twilight looked ashamed. "Because I told each of my friends not to. To pass on the gem to the most likely pony they knew without saying what it was, unless and until it became necessary to continue the tradition."

"Why?"

Twilight paused, trying to decide how to put it. "There's an old saying," she said at last. "A family's greatest treasure never enters through the front door. Can you tell me why?"

Startled, Sunny thought about it. "Because... if it's that great a treasure... then it was there all along?" Her eyes lit up. "Oh wait! Because something that important never comes from the outside -- because it can't!"

Twilight looked miffed. "I'm almost offended by how fast you got that. It took me days to figure it out when Princess Celestia hoofed it to me." Rolling her eyes, Twilight went on. "Yes, the thing about Friendship, true friendship, is that it can never be imposed from without. It has to come from within. From a real need for friends, the need to be with them and help them, and also to feel safe among them. It's not something you can teach. It's only something you can show, and encourage, by being a friend. By creating that safe space for a pony, within which true friendship can grow."

Sunny looked over her shoulder at the ruined lighthouse. "Dad sure did that. There wasn't a day living here that I didn't feel safe and loved. And now look at it."

"I am sorry about that," Twilight agreed.

"It's okay," Sunny said. "My friends are going to help me rebuild it. And now that we have magic again, it should be a lot easier, right?"

"Now that you all have magic." Twilight nodded. "Thanks to you and your friends. I'm glad you have them, by the way. Glad you all found each other. And I couldn't be happier, Sunny. You turned things around. I was pretty certain, even at the end, that one day I'd be sitting here, having this conversation with somepony. I just didn't know who it would be. And I'm so pleased that it was you: a bright, scholarly pony with loads of optimism. You remind me a lot of me, actually -- when I was closer to your age."

Sunny stared up at her. At her wings and her horn. "We're not... related somehow, are we?"

Twilight smiled, and reached a forehoof to stroke Sunny's mane. "Only in the way that a beloved story deserves to be retold, every now and again." Then she looked uncomfortable. "Just don't talk to me about 'A Hearth's Warming Tale'. Once ponies found out how much I liked it, I had to issue an edict having new productions of it banned. I mean, they were having hoof-fights over who deserved the award for Best Catering. Ughhh!"

Sunny laughed. She might be talking to a Princess, the Princess of Friendship herself, yet it felt completely comfortable, much like talking to a very old friend -- somepony that she knew and understood very well.

"So... what should we do now?" Sunny asked. "And what should I do with these?" She gestured to her own ethereal horn and wings.

Twilight shook her head. "That's not for me to say any more. Even if parts of the old world return, this is your world now. What you do with it is up to you -- and your friends."

Smiling, she stood up. Sunny quickly did likewise, looking wistful.

"Are you leaving again, so soon?"

"Don't worry," Twilight said. "I'm never very far away."

"But... why did you come back at all? Just to answer my questions?"

"In part," Twilight said. "But also, because it has been said that I will never outlive my friends. So I do need to keep making new ones. It's good to know you, Sunny."

"But... how will we find you again? Will you at least be around, in case we need advice?"

Twilight smirked, and gestured with a forehoof, at the journal still clutched in Sunny's hoof.

"What do you think?"

Sunny glanced down at the journal, at the golden double-star on its leather cover. Then she looked up again...

... at empty air. Looking up at the aurora-streaked night sky, Sunny thought she saw a whirling of brilliant sparks fading back into the overall glow, but she couldn't be sure.

And then a voice called out to her, up the path leading down towards the road.

"Sunny!"

It was Izzy, the purple unicorn, dancing along at the head of a crowd of ponies, some of whom were tugging wagons loaded with boards and paint and other supplies.

Izzy raced up and hugged Sunny tightly. The unicorn's bright blue mane was all but fizzing with excitement. "Did you have a good long think while we were away? What did you think about? Was it about us? Did you miss us? If so, you don't have to miss us any more, because we're all right here again!"

And so they were: Sheriff Hitch, the pegasus Princess sisters Zipp and Pipp. And also, it seemed, most of Maretime Bay. The townsponies stared in awe at Sunny -- mostly at the horn and wings, seemingly formed from magic itself.

"Seems like," Hitch said coolly, "having heard about what happened, in bits and pieces from each of us, everypony wanted to come up here and get the whole story, from the pony's mouth so to speak."

Amazed, Sunny stared around at the wide-eyed crowd, waiting breathlessly for her to speak.

Then, remembering what Twilight had told her, she made a point of motioning for her four friends to gather close around her.

"Well," she said to the crowd with a wide grin, "let us all tell you all about it..."

The End

My Little Pony: A New Generation, its characters and indicia are the property of Hasbro.
No infringement is intended. This story is a work of fan fiction, written by fans for fans of the series.

Comments ( 95 )

Bravo! BRA-VO!!! This is how the ending of the movie, SHOULD have been!

Dan
Dan #3 · Sep 25th, 2021 · · ·

So Ember and Smolder and Gallus and Thorax and even Flurryheart all turned into sea foam? :fluttershbad: :fluttercry:

10990588
My take on it is that everything in Equestria is potentially still there, and may return, now that the magic is back to give it substance again. We'll just have to see how and when...
:twilightsmile:

That was quick just 2 days after the movie released you already have a story. And it does a nice job bridging the gap. Headcanon accepted assuming the show doesn't attempt to cover that portion of the story.

10990599
Thanks much! One day, actually, since I saved the movie to watch after work. (Pizza and Ponies for the win!)
:twilightsmile:

"I forgot," Twilight answered, "that when ponies know nothing but peace and plenty, they start to take it for granted. They left all the hard work of friendship and the study of magic to me, the Princess of Friendship, and just got on with day-to-day living. Which isn't wrong in itself, except it meant that they no longer understood the true source of friendship."

Not how I would say it but its what I'm been thinking; The reason Magic was gone because of The Magic of Friendship. My theory is its connected to the Multiple Trees of Harmony popping in different locations on the planet. If one tree prevents the Everfree Forest, What will many of them do to the magic of an entire planet? Sorry for sounding negative but it's possible that something good to the world can create dark consequences.

Huk

Nice, but so goddamn bittersweet :pinkiesad2:!

P.S.
IMHO you should add SliceOfLife tag to the story.

10990629
Done -- and thanks for reading!
:twilightsmile:

10990628
i wonder if in this we might see some villens that arnt like others go up against sunny? mabey an enemy that learns the power of freindship and wins to a degree

Twilight Sparkle Avenue could be a street in Equestria.

Sunny flapped the glimmering, ethereal wings experimentally. She peered up at the gleaming, insubstantial horn on her forehead.

They're still theories that the horn and the wings are temporarily because they're just glowing

"Ponies themselves." Sunny nodded. "Like we found out. But, you mentioned other creatures? Other nations? I've been wondering about that. I mean, the stories I've read about you and your friends, they mention all kinds of mythical creatures: dragons, griffons, manticores, bugbears, changelings, even crystal ponies. But there aren't any other lands, any other creatures. Just the three cities, where the three kinds of ponies live: Maretime Bay, Bridlewood, and Zephyr Heights."

Yeah that's also another good question did the other creatures basically or hiding somewhere when the magic disappeared and the other cities what happened to them kind of sad to think about it

This was a pretty sweet and bitter sweet story how it all started how Twilight wanted to see if the three Pony tribes still holding the magic of friendship and of course it only it didn't turn out well until a few years later sunny and her friends bring back Magic and the friendship from other tribes together and even Twilight appeared in front of her told her the story about how this all started and everything and it looks like this is going to be a beginning for sunny and her friends despite their friendship across Equestria once again this was a pretty good story keep up the good work

That should have been in the movie love it too cute

I liked this. Good job.

10990860
Maybe it could happen in the 44 minute special, or the television series.

It has been said that I will never outlive my friends. So I do need to keep making new ones.

A beautiful take on that idea. Thanks for the story!

Una
Una #19 · Sep 26th, 2021 · · 20 ·

Good story. It's a shame the movie was a letdown, and was full of plot holes.

10991006
Sometimes (though not always) a plot hole can be an opportunity for fan-fiction to fill in the gap, simply by approaching things from an unusual and creative direction. That is, instead of saying "this can't happen" saying "for this to have happened, this other thing must have happened, so what follows from that?"

And MLP is in an unusual position of probably wanting to leave such gaps, for the benefit of us fans. I bet the writing process for the G5 movie was a challenge, deciding what to say and what not to say. Even just in writing this short story, I found myself in several places deliberately rewording a line or a bit of dialogue to leave things unsaid in just the right way. So I bet that doing the entire movie by comparison was a lot of work (though probably a lot of fun as well!)
:twilightsmile:

Wow, you got this out fast. And you did a great job! I like a lot of the concepts you introduced and you filled in quite a lot of gaps in very legitimate ways. Kudos!

10991043
Thanks much! My first story on Fimfiction was basically a capturing of my headcanon from watching the first few episodes of G4, so it's a lot of fun being able to do something similar for G5. And the supportive feedback from the readership on this story is encouraging and very much appreciated!
:twilightsmile:

This was a wonderful story.

10991006
That's where the authors like this one come in. All stories have plotholes and missing pieces and it takes an army of dedicated writers and thinkers to fix. yourself included.:ajsmug:

Damn, looks like you beat me to it. Good thing, too, because this was a very interesting read. I love it.

10991006

When you say that, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that things are left unexplained or unanswered? Because if so, that's not what a plot hole is.

Comment posted by Baree deleted Sep 26th, 2021

"Princess?"
"Yes, Sunny?"
"I have a Mane 6 collection," looking back at the ruined tower, "somewhere in there. Think you could do something ... like getting their cutie marks right?"
"Maybe," her horn softly glowing, "Might take a while to do right. And you have company coming ..."
Sunny turns her head to look and see that company is indeed coming but when she looks back, no Princess. Then she looks upward and sees a trail of sparkles in the sky.

10991292
Twilight sparkles, of course...
Sunny's lucky the scriptwriters set the Battle of the Lighthouse at the right time of day...
:twilightsmile:

Una
Una #30 · Sep 26th, 2021 · · 2 ·

10991278
1. What happened to the immortal princesses?

2. How was mistrust and dislike of the other pony types started?

3. What happened to all the other species that lived along side the ponies?

4. It makes it so everything Twilight and her friends did pointless.

This last is just my personal nitpick, but
the main problem for me was how gen 4 was made to be such a big deal at the beginning of the movie, only to be mostly forgotten about the rest of the feature.

Overall the movie would have been better as a stand alone instead of a continuation of gen 4 in the same universe.

10991379
Those are all questions the movie was never going to answer. They are things we must wait for the series to answer.

10991379
Yeah, those are a few of the open questions from the movie, which I tried to answer, directly or indirectly. Whether they were deliberately left open for the forthcoming series and/or for us fanfiction writers to fill in, that remains to be seen. Some thoughts on this:

As part of my outline for this story, I gathered my own list of questions, based on reviews/comments I've read:

* what made the ponies forget their alliance and become so insular and distrustful?
* what happened to "immortal" characters, like Twilight, the other alicorns, etc.
* what happened to all the other cities/nations/races in Equestria? why is the map suddenly so small?
* who's managing the sun and moon now? ditto weather control?
* what was the origin of the three crystals, which turned out to be merely symbolic until actual friendship powered them up and restored the lost magic in the bargain?
* what do Sunny's "magic" wings and horn mean? Are they temporary, or is this the new "digital/virtual"-age version of alicorns?
* how long has it been since G4 and/or is this actually a continuation of the same timeline?
* what happened to Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow?
* and What About Discord? ("Orange you glad I've changed? Orange? Get it? Oh, come on!")

My simplifying headcanon for the whole ball of wax is: by the end of G4, Friendship is Magic. Twilight Sparkle and her friends have "won", the two are synonymous. So that means something happened after that which broke friendship (either quickly or over time), and so magic went away too. With it went all of the magic-based aspects of the pony world (Canterlot, the lands of Equestria, the other nations of Equus, other races, immortal alicorns, Discord, the need to manage the sun/moon and weather, pretty much the whole schmear). And it's by restoration of friendship/magic in the new movie that all of that can be brought back in some form, which I'm assuming will be a major part of the series (though that's just a hopeful fanfic writer's guess at this point).

So I agree, there's still a lot of unanswered questions here. But the characters and humor are there, so we can hope that the creative lore and world-building that brought us here will be there as well.

:twilightsmile:

10991379
I suspect that to a certain degree, the distrust was always there, think of how quickly the ponies divided during the brief reign of Tirek, Cozy, and Chrysalis. As years turned to decades or even centuries it's not too hard to believe that without the unifying symbol of Twilight and Celestia they naturally gravitated towards their own "kind".

As to the Gryphons and Dragons, Twilight hinted that they were more closely tied to the magical nature of the world, so perhaps they slowly vanished as the world's magic went dormant if not disappearing altogether. Or perhaps they drew back out of what was Equestria and now live on the far reaches of the world far beyond what we saw in the film.

Around the time of the finale there was some ideas for what would eventually become G5, in one of them Fluttershy was redesigned as a unicorn, Twilight as an Earth Pony, and Pinkie Pie as a pegasus. I personally felt that that was much more pointless than what I saw in the G5 movie. I enjoy the occasional "what-if" scenario, but at the time it felt like Hasbro spitting on all that G4 had stood for just so some CEO could buy a new yacht. They didn't even bother changing names or anything. You are of course, free to your own opinion, I am merely stating mine.

10991030
Thank you for this story, and I agree wholeheartedly that sometimes it's best NOT to have all the answers. While I don't deny that I would love to hear what ideas the creative staff has, and while I certainly disagreed with some of the choices in G4. I have had so much fun reading stories that made me laugh, cry, and everything in between. The movie was at times kinda simplistic and had a healthy amount of 🧀, but I definitely didn't think that it ruined anything. I actually find myself curious as to how things happened. Your take was bittersweet and seemed to grasp that for all that Equestria was a wonderful place, it was far from being a perfect sugar bowl utopia.

so you think sunny is just an alicorn now?

"Because, like friendship," Twilight said, "magic is hard. It takes patience and diligent work, even for some of the smallest effects. And after a while, ponies stopped seeing it as a pleasure, and felt it was more of a burden. They felt it was too difficult to be worth the time. And there were plenty of other distractions," she added wryly. "I may have had something to do with that as well. As ponies' learning and technological skills improved, their need for everyday magic fell by the wayside. Why bother with a luminance spell, when you can just flick a switch? And why bother actually going to see and talk to somepony in person, when you can just send them a text?"

and then ponified onward Movies Starts

10991621
It's unclear, based on what little we've seen so far. The wings and horn may be magic, rather than physical features, hinting that in G5 alicorn is something you do, not something you are. Or they may indicate Sunny has the potential to become an alicorn, as Twilight did. Or they may simply be a "powered up" effect (like the "extra" coloration Twilight and her friends got when super-charged with Friendship magic). Or it may be that magic is still returning, and they'll become more solid the stronger it gets. This is one of those cases where it's fun (if a little frustrating) not knowing which it is...
:twilightsmile:

10991641
i like the idea that she has the potential but I hope they don't do the same thing as they did In G4 and make her an alicorn permanently halfway through the show

10991632
Yeah, I was thinking of Onward myself, in connection with the loss of magic in G5, having recently watched Onward. (It's a good movie; I can well recommend it. It's amazing how they take scenes that on paper would sound dull or silly, and make them hysterical simply through excellent dialog and timing.)

I wonder if this is a trend now in fantasy storytelling, wherein magic is something that's "gone away" and must be brought back. Much like how "Lord of the Rings", even in book form, was itself an inversion of the old fantasy trope of going on a quest to find a magical artifact.

Well if it isn't Toilet Snorkel
:facehoof: Discord!
:moustache: Wait until they get a load of me
:twilightoops:

10991379

Yeah, that's what I mean, those are not plot-holes. Here's what wikipedia says (probably should have looked for a dictionary definition, but this will do) : In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include things as illogical, unlikely or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

Plot holes are usually created unintentionally, often a result of editing or the writers' simply forgetting that a new event would contradict the events and not checking. However, the term is also frequently incorrectly applied - for example, a character being intentionally written to take irrational action would not be a plot hole, nor would "loose ends" or unexplained aspects.

So all of those are unexplained aspects and not plot-holes. A plot-hole for example would be a character establishing he has been impotent since birth and later in the show/movie turning out to have fathered an before unknown child.

Having said all that, I agree I would have liked to learn more, but part of me hopes that we might learn more in the show. That would make sense if you ask me. It would annoy me if it never gets explored though, absolutely.

Oddly enough; this gave me very Dark Souls-y vibes, how a world would start disappearing because of something being missing. Like how in Dark Souls 3 when the First Flame fades, all of the world begins to collapse and fold in on itself, becoming an unrecognizable hodgepodge.

I'm impressed you got this out so quickly.

Personally, I was hoping for a cameo of Twilight Sparkle at the end of the movie, but at least we got her in the opening scene.

But you do touch upon an unsettling thought: That Equestria's wonders only exist with magic, and without it, the world becomes a dull place and all the magical creatures vanish. Considering the setting only has three pony settlements of significance, it would be really chilling. I guess we'll have to wait for the TV series to answer those questions.

10992291

Personally, I was hoping for a cameo of Twilight Sparkle at the end of the movie

So she could apologize?

10992339

Well...

It remains to be seen was caused Equestrian society to decline and/or if Twilight had anything to do with it.

10992344
That particular question will never be addressed, but the point is that with absolute power comes absolute blame.

10992352

You really hit the nail on the head. LOL!

But if somepony like Sunny still worships Princess Twilight, it is possible she wasn't at fault for what happened.

10992369
Twilight hero-worshipped autocrats and judgmental interdimensional litterbugs. Sunny worships racist, imperialist, militaristic slavedrivers, sweatshop owners, and strikebreakers. Characters don't become better just because a protagonist has a high opinion of them.

Login or register to comment