• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 435 Views, 27 Comments

Canterlot & Everfree: The Early Years - Smokey_Cinders



Two colts, a long forgotten steam locomotive and an Equestria with an “out with the old, in with the new” mentality, what could possibly go wrong?.. a lot actually

  • ...
2
 27
 435

Chapter 12: Scrapyard Scrape

“Woah woah woah! Steam! What’s stolen?” Smokey yelped as Steam caught his breath.

“13… she’s gone” Steam said worriedly as Smokey’s face paled.

“Wait, what’s 13?” Twikight asked as Smokey began to hyperventilate.

“W-who!? Do you know!?” Smokey asked, completely ignoring Twilight completely.

“I got this from the security camera!” Steam said as he showed Smokey the printed photo. Smokey saw the photo, his hooves trembling before he slammed the paper down.

“THAT… THAT!!!” Smokey shouted as he went into a tirade. “THAT'S STEEL CUTTER! HE AND HIS SLEAZY PARTNER WANTED TO BUY THE LINE FOR SCRAP!” He shouted as he turned and jumped on 109. “I need to stop them!”

“Wait wait wait! Smokey!” Steam, Crosby and Brass all shouted as they tried to stop him, Twilight picking up the photo and seeing the steam engine, connecting the dots.

“Lemme go! I can’t let them do this to my engine!” He shouted as he turned to see Twilight staring to the photo.

“This is your engine?…” Twilight asked as she handed the photo to Applejack. “Your ghost train I presume?”

“Well I’ll be… it sure is” Applejack said as Smokey turned.

“Listen, Twilight, you can lecture me all you want, but I can’t let them cut it up!” Smokey said through tears. “I did all I could to keep from that engine gettin’ scrapped or taken away!”

“B-but Smokey, listen, it’s-“ Twilight started, only for Smokey to cut her off.

“It’s not just an old train! And it is safe! We even had it inspected and everything!” Smokey snapped. “We didn’t file officially before it was hidden because of what happened to that 4-4-0 in Appleloosa! When ya caught wind, ya took it from’em!”

“Smokey!” Twilight snapped in her Royal Canterlot voice. “What do you take me for!? Why would I scrap it?” She asked as she looked to Smokey, seeing just how much he cared about that old train. “As for the 4-4-0, they weren’t taking care in the restoration, when I had it examined, it’s boiler was barely holding together!… and I’ll help you get it back… but… I’ll need to think… if you can operate it.. I’m very disappointed that you even operated it without the proper permits.” She said sternly.

Smokey calmed down a bit, quickly going to the dispatcher and asking for clearance to the scrapyard. Unfortunately there was a rush happening and they couldn’t spare a single path, not even when Twilight tried to order it.

“Don’t worry, Smokey! I’ll take care of this! I’ll impound the engine! I’ll send the guards as soon as traffic clears up!” Twilight said with a smile.

“But they’ll have it in pieces by then!…” Smokey said before he saw a taxi. “Come on, CC! I have a plan!” Smokey said as he grabbed Crosby and yanked him to the taxi, shouting to the puller. “Iron and Steel recycling facility! And step on it!”

“Right!” The puller said as he reared up on his hind legs, taking off in a bolt, Twilight ran out of the office.

“Smokey! What are you doing!?” She called as the taxi rounded a corner out of town.

“That colt sure does care about that old train…” Fluttershy said softly.


It was a long and agonizing journey, the sun was dipping behind the horizon as they reached the scrapyard, Smokey growing a worried expression as he watched the Taxi leaving, walking towards the scrapyard. “Hmm… now to get in..”

“Wait! I thought we were going to go and talk to the owners!” Crosby said with a worried expression.

“Like they’ll let us!” Smokey said as he walked to the chain link fence, pulling out a pair of pliers and started to take it apart, just enough to fit a pony through. “We’ll just have to be sneaky,” he said as he worked.

Crosby looked at Smokey and sighed. “The things you get me into…” he said leaned down to help, the two squeezing through.

The two snuck through rows and rows of scrapped locomotives and cars, lined up on sidings. Mountains of rusted metal lay chaotically around. The two felt like they were going in circles.

“Hey! Someone’s cut the fence!” An employee shouted. Suddenly large spotlights came on and shone down into the yard, employees looking for the trespassers. Smokey and Crosby crawled under an old bus as several employees walked by.

The two had to be more cautious, sneaking through the yard and dodging employees. Smokey was getting more and more worried that they were too late, when he saw a glimmer of brass behind a scrap pile, sneaking around and seeing 13. His relief was short lived as he saw a scrapper light his torch to begin dismantling the steam engine.

“Crosby!” Smokey said in a hushed tone. “We gotta stop him!”

Crosby looked to an old rusty hopper and smirked. “I got an idea, grab that pole, and when I say so, leaver the car forward!” He said as she climbed up and turned a rusty brake wheel, the hoppers hoofbrake slowly releasing.

Smokey grabbed the pole and wedged it under the car, pushing forward and sending the hopper into motion.

The scrapper looked up and gasped as he saw the hopper rolling away and dropped his torch. “Hey! Stop that car!” He shouted as he ran away and around a curve, he was too slow to catch up.

Smokey and Crosby ran for 13, grabbing the scrappers torch and hauling it into the cab, using it to ignite a shovel of coal. The two worked like mad to build the fire, Smokey wincing as he heard the boiler groan and moan as the metal expanded far too fast to be safe. “I’m sorry old girl…” Smokey said as he shoveled another load of coal into the roaring firebox.

The boiler pressure began to rise, they were at 60 PSI now and building. Smokey sighed as he took his place in the engineers seat… “hey! What are you doing in that scrap engine?” An employee yelled… the same employee…

“We ain’t got enough pressure!” Smokey yelped as he released the brakes and put 13 into full forward gear, opening the throttle. 13 hissed as it began to slowly creep forward, without enough steam to move properly, this was the best it could do. The scrapper galloped and jumped onto the ladder to the cab. Smokey running around to the top of the ladder and snarling. “Sorry! But ya ain’t got a ticket!” He said as he went to kick the scrapper off, being grabbed and yanked off instead.

“Smokey!” Crosby shouted as he leaned out.

“Keep going!” Smokey shouted before the larger stallion slugged him across the face with a forehoof.

“Darn scrap thieves!” He shouted before Smokey grabbed him, the two rolling on the ground.

“That’s my engine you were about to cut up, ya barbarian!” Smokey shouted as he threw the scrapper off and turned to run, 13 picking up speed.

“Come on!” Crosby shouted as he leaned out, reaching for Smokey, who was galloping as fast as he could, 13 was beginning to match his speed. “Give me your hoof!”

Smokey leaped forward and managed to grab Crosby’s hoof, being pulled aboard. “Thanks! What’s the pressure now?”

“95!” Crosby replied as he went back to shoveling.

“Good! Let’s find the-“ Smokey started, being cut off as 13 was rammed from the front by one of the scrapyard’s diesel switchers, being shoved back, a second joining the first to force 13 in reverse towards the Smelting shed. Smokey looked back in horror before he saw a switch at the end of the sidings. “Get ready!” He said as he closed the throttle, yanked the Johnson Bar to reverse, and yanked the throttle open, racing in reverse into the fiery hellish glow of the smelting shed. Blast furnaces roared around them as Smokey slammed on the brakes, Crosby jumping out and throwing the switch.

“Go!” Crosby shouted as he climbed aboard, the two switchers charging for them, a large grabber crane moving over them too. Smokey yanked the throttle open again and racing over the switch, missing the Switchers by inches.

“BAIL OUT!” The first engineer said as the two jumped off, the diesels hitting the end of the track, flying off the rails and landing into a pit of molten metal with a tremendous crash as they started to melt down.

An alarm began to buzz as the two heavy steel doors of the shed began to close, Smokey leaping up and joining Crosby in shoveling again. 13 charged forward, black smoke and sparks shooting from its stack as it came closer and closer, the heavy steel doors closing in more and more.

Sparks shot from the doors as 13 was grazed going through, some grab-irons and the walkways being damaged and nearly ripped off the engine.

Spotlights hit 13 as more alarms and sirens went off, 13 swerving from left to right on different tracks, finally heading for the gates, Steel Cutter and Iron Smelter standing at the gate, Smokey grabbing the whistle cord and began blasting it.

“He’ll stop! Don’t worry!” Steel Cutter said confidently as 13 approached rapidly.

“You do realize that we stole his engine and were in the process of breaking it down for scrap iron…” Iron Smelter said as he glanced at his companion, 13’s headlight growing more intense.

“… on second thought, we should move!” The shorter stallion said as he turned and jumped off the track, Iron Smelter doing the same, 13 passing by with such speed and gusto, the tailwinds ripped the hats off the two ponies heads.

13 crashed through the iron gates, forcing them open with minimal effort and storming onto the mainline, blowing the switch open and racing away.

“Don’t just stand there you idiots!” Iron Smelter said as he ran to the scrapyards SD40-2, Steel Cutter close behind, “get them!” He shouted as the diesel charged off after the two.

The dark Equestrian countryside shot by in a blur, the serenity of Luna’s moon was uncaringly disturbed as No.13 thundered through the night, setting off hotbox detectors and frightening all who saw it. The cab was illuminated by the fire, massive sparks and cinders shooting from 13’s tall rusty smokestack.

Smokey leaned out and looked back, the headlight of the SD40-2 was clear in the distance. He looked ahead and put a hoof on the throttle, pulling it open more, looking to the speedometer which was reading 57 MPH. 13 jolted hard as it hit a switch, thundering onto another line to avoid being hit by an oncoming freight train, the engine making a horrific creaking groan as it rocked.

“Smokey! Smokey!” Crosby shouted as he tossed another scoop of coal into the firebox, going over to Smokey’s side, his voice barely audible over 13’s cacophony of noises “We can’t keep going like this! We’re at half a tender of coal, water’s boiling off fast, and she sounds like every part’s working loose!”

“We need to get to Ponyville!” Smokey shouted back, wincing as 13 jolted, one of its bearings locking and then working loose again. “At least then we’d have authorities to stop them from taking her back to the scrapyard!”

Crosby looked to his friend, seeing the fierce determination in his eyes, at least the one that wasn’t blackened from the tustle he had with the scrapper who tried to board the engine while they were escaping. He knew with that look that Smokey would coax 13 to Ponyville or bust.


Twilight stood at the station, the scrapyard had not returned any message she sent about 13, and having not heard from Smokey in several hours, she was growing more and more worried.

“What in the name of Equestria!?” The dispatcher shouted from her office, Twilight rushing in to see her board, one after another, lights turning red and alarms going off.

“What’s happening?” Twilight asked as the dispatcher began flipping switches and grabbed her headset radio.

“Something’s flying northbound on the southbound mainline! It’s setting off every hotbox and defect detector on its way! And something’s behind it too!” The dispatcher said as she began to radio trains, giving a firm order. “STOP ALL TRAFFIC!”

Twilight turned to look at the board, each light flipping red, one by one, each getting closer to Ponyville. “Smokey…” she said softly. “What have you gotten yourself into…”


Smokey leaned out of the cab and smiled. “Thank Celestia! There’s the home signal!” He shouted as he pointed to the signal, under it was a sign which stated Yard Limit, Ponyville was only a mile ahead. “They can’t get us now! We’re on the homestretch!” Smokey laughed… that laugh was cut short however… for as he turned to Crosby… the cylinder head cover shattered with an almighty explosion of steam and shrapnel. “NO!” Smokey shouted.

13 began to drastically slow, Smokey leaning forward. “Come on old girl! Just half mile!” He shouted, tears in his eyes as the engine swerved again over a switch, the brick arch in the firebox collapsing due to the jolt.

Crosby yelped In fright as smoke and sparks shot from the firebox door before it slammed shut. “We lost the firebox! Smokey!” Crosby shouted as he dropped the fire, burning coals falling to the track bed.

Smokey gritted his teeth as 13 began to slow, the pressure gauge falling faster and faster. “We can’t stop! I won’t let them destroy my engine!”

“They can’t destroy it if you destroy it yourself!” Crosby shouted as a spring saddle broke on the left side, leaf springs shooting out like a deck of cards. Smokey looked to Crosby as the engine slanted to one side… he slammed the throttle shut and applied the brakes to a full emergency application.

13’s wheels locked up with a scream of metal on metal brakes as it skidded to a halt, smoke pouring from the ashpan, steam shooting from the busted cylinder, and parts barely clinging to the engine. As the engine stopped, Smokey grabbed the whistle cord and began blasting SOS in Morse Code.


Twilight's ears perked up hearing the whistle. “That sounds like… a distress signal! Something’s wrong!” She said before she turned. “Quick! We need to get out there and help him!”

“I can’t! We don’t have an engine free!” The dispatcher said worriedly.

“Oh yes we do!” A shout came from Turbo as she pulled up to the station. “Get aboard, Princess! If Smokey’s in trouble, I’m going to help!”

Twilight nodded and jumped aboard, Turbo throwing her engine into full throttle and racing down the line towards the whistling.


Smokey grabbed a large wrench from the toolbox while Crosby held his scoop defensively, snarling as Iron’s and Steel’s diesel approached, stopping.

“Last chance! Give us that wreck and no pony has to get hurt!” Steel shouted from behind the SD40-2’s headlights.

“Over my cold dead body!” Smokey shouted venomously.

“That can be arranged!” Iron Smelter snapped as the headlights dimmed, no less than a dozen cutting torches could be seen through the darkness, poised and ready to dismantle anything they went up against.

Smokey and Crosby prepared for a last stand against the scrappers when Turbo’s Genset pulled up and coupled to 13, Twilight jumping off and flying around the wrecked steam engine and landing beside Smokey. The scrappers, startled by seeing the princess, backed up a bit.

“Smokey! What happened? Are you two ok?” Twilight asked as Smokey didn’t back down.

“I’m fine! These… These brutes were about to cut up 13, we managed to build a fire and make a run for it, they tried to shove us off the track and into a blast furnace!” Smokey explained as Steel Cutter and Iron Smelter stepped forward.

“Princess! These two hooligans broke into our yard, pressurized an untested locomotive and stole it! We were merely trying to stop them! Now, if you’ll allow us to retrieve our property, we’ll be inclined to not press charges and sue these two delinquents” Iron Smelter said with a smug smile.

“Excuse me?” Twilight asked, tilting her head.

“The engine was untested and they had no permits! And they are now holding up traffic! Even if I don’t press charges, I’m sure the Royal Railway Administration and the EUR will have something to say about this unauthorized use!” Steel Cutter added.

“… that’s…” Twilight looked to Smokey, who seemed to realize that while they had to save 13… it was incredibly reckless to charge out on the mainline. “That’s incorrect! I… I had authorized 13 to be operational, and the engine had been inspected by Ponyville’s best! I had planned to officially file the paperwork in the morning” Twilight said with a stern expression. “Now unless you want Me to personally file charges on behalf of the engines owners, I suggest you go back to your recycling facility, and be prepared to pay for any damages you directly caused by forcing them to operate the locomotive to keep from it being dismantled”

Steel Cutter and Iron Smelter gawked for a moment before they glared at Smokey and Crosby, claiming aboard the SD40 and slinking back into the darkness.

Smokey and Crosby looked at Twilight, eyes wide. “Twilight.. you saved us… and 13…” the former said as Turbo walked up.

“I’ve coupled up to your engine, we can go back to Ponyville now” she said with a smile as she walked back to the Genset.


It wasn’t a very long trip back to Ponyville, though they had to stop twice to check 13. Steam and Brass waited eagerly at the platform for them… their faces fell when they saw 13 sporting its busted cylinder, collapsed brick arch and broken spring saddle. The engine limped unhealthy as it was towed in. Folks came out of their homes to see the odd move, gawking at the damaged locomotive as if they were seeing a great wounded beast of legend. Not a word was said as Turbo uncoupled 13 in front of the C&E’s Ponyville station. Turbo gave Smokey a reassuring pat on the shoulder before she set off back for the yard.

Smokey slowly walked into the station and climbed onto a bed, too tired to head back home, tears running down his face as he fell into a dreamless sleep.