• Published 17th Sep 2021
  • 2,130 Views, 8 Comments

Her Greatest Fear - ScisetShimmerEvan



Twilight decides to talk to Sunset over her worried thoughts in regards of Midnight Sparkle and her magic.

  • ...
2
 8
 2,130

The Worries (Edited by Echo Breeze) (Updated 1/31/2023)

It was early one morning at Camp Everfree. The sun was just rising from behind the mountains into the Everfree national park. Everyone was sleeping soundly in their beds after arriving at the camp the previous day. But not everyone was feeling happy to be here. One person was feeling a bit upset. That person was Twilight Sparkle, sometimes called Sci Twi to not get her confused with her pony counterpart much to her consternation and Pinkie Pie's joy.

Since transferring to CHS several weeks after the event of the Friendship Games, Twilight settled in nicely at CHS with the new friends she’d made. She had also become very close and now is best friends with Sunset Shimmer, the former bully of CHS.

When news arose that they’d be going out camping at Camp Everfree, many students of CHS, as well as both Principals, were excited about their trip. Well, all except Twilight that is.

What her friends didn’t know since Twilight transferred to CHS, she'd been having constant nightmares over Midnight Sparkle. Each one was getting worse, day by day. Just the previous morning she had a nightmare where Midnight Sparkle appeared in her room after her friends arrived to pick her up so they wouldn’t miss the bus to camp. And Midnight Sparkle had almost taken control of her. And the very next morning it happened again!

As she was sleeping in her tent with Spike in his doggy bed and Sunset in the adjacent bed, Twilight was having another nightmare about Midnight Sparkle.

She was sitting at the campfire she sat at the previous night where Timber Spruce shared the story of Gaea Everfree with everyone. This however had worried Twilight a lot. Sunset could tell it would be best if no one brought it up what happened at the Friendship Games at the moment as they were at camp to have fun, not remind Twilight about the events of the games.

As she held her roasting stick over the fire with a marshmallow on it, she heard Midnight Sparkle’s voice.

“Here I am.”

She looked around to see where the voice was coming from. But Twilight didn’t see anything or anyone around her or the campfire.

“Over here!”

This time Twilight was worried. She got up from the log she was sitting on. A look of fear on her face as she looked around for a sign that she wasn’t just hearing things.

And before she knew it Midnight Sparkle arose from the campfire! The flames of the fire had changed color from red to purple, surprising her in the process as she looked at Twilight before her.

“I’M ALWAYS HERE!”

Twilight was frightened for her life. She woke from her dream, screaming before realizing she was awake.

This woke up Sunset, as she jumped out of bed, still somewhat sleeping as she was showing off her self-defense moves.

“Eh eh! What happened?” Sunset muttered sleepily, her eyes still shut with a bit of drool coming from her mouth.

“Nothing! Sorry Sunset,” Twilight responded, looking away.

After Sunset was now fully awake she saw the second craziest thing she had seen since yesterday. Twilight and Spike’s bed were floating in the air surrounded by the same magical aura that the two witnessed the day before.

“Um, Twilight... I think something happened?”

Twilight screamed when she noticed this. When she did, her bed and Spike’s bed landed back on the ground, waking Spike in the process.

“Is it time to get up already?” He asked groggily, before moving his position in his dog bed.

Sunset realized now that if Twilight didn’t talk about this sooner, things were gonna get worse.

“Twilight, we have to talk about this?”

“No, we don’t,” she said, turning away from Sunset, frightened by what just happened.

“Alright then. But if you change your mind, I’m here for you. Now since you’ve woken me up, I'm gonna get dressed and go for a morning walk,” Sunset said, moving back to her side of the tent.

As Sunset was about to get dressed Twilight began thinking about what Sunset had said to her just earlier.

“But if you change your mind, I’m here for you,” said Sunset’s voice, echoing in Twilight’s mind.

Twilight knew she should take Sunset’s advice and tell her about the nightmares she’s been having. But a part of her was saying she shouldn’t, and it would just make it worse, while another part of her thought about just leaving camp altogether. In the end, she still knew she couldn’t just run away from her problems and needed to tell her. After taking in a deep breath of air, she decided to talk it over with Sunset.

“Sunset, do you have a moment?”

“Sure Twilight," Sunset replied, walking over to Twilight. "What’s up?”

“There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

“What is it?” Sunset asked, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“If I tell you, can you promise to not tell our friends about it 'til I feel ready?” Twilight asked in a scared voice.

Sunset lowered her head, kneeling on the side of Twilight’s bed facing her.

“Don’t worry Twilight. I won’t.”

“You promise?”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

“What?”

“Sorry, it’s something I learned from Pinkie Pie.”

“Oh. You see, I’ve been having nightmares these last few weeks and they won’t stop. I don't know how much longer I can take them anymore!” Twilight said as tears started to form in her eyes. She then felt Sunset squeeze her shoulder, reassuring she'd understand her situation.

“They're about Midnight Sparkle, aren’t they?”

Twilight nodded in reply.

“Ever since I transformed into her it’s all I ever see when I sleep. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since the Friendship Games. I don’t even know what to do at this point!”

Twilight buried her face in Sunset’s chest. Her tears started to soak Sunset’s shirt. In the short few weeks, Sunset has known the human Twilight, she hadn’t seen her this emotional since she saved her at the Friendship Games after turning into Midnight Sparkle.

“Is this why you didn’t want to talk to us about it? I mean, I can see why you’ve kept this hidden.”

Twilight was still crying as Sunset spoke kindly to her before she felt her hair being stroked.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to worry anyone about this. I didn’t know what to do!”

“You don’t have to worry, Twilight. I’ve been through this before myself.”

Twilight stopped crying and looked into Sunset’s eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“After I transformed into a demon myself during the Fall Formal, I had nightmares like you.”

“When did they stop?”

“It took about two months before they went away. I still have them on occasion, but there was one thing that helped me whenever I had one of these nightmares.”

“What was that?” Twilight asked, wiping some of her tears away.

“It was our friends. After the whole school found out about the real me, I was all alone. I almost thought about just ending it all, until our friends came into the picture. Every day, whenever I was being bullied, harassed, or even outside of CHS when someone picked on me, the girls were there to help me.”

Twilight realized she had made a grave mistake not sharing this problem 'til now. She knew that Sunset had been where she was once before and wanted to help her every step of the way.

“You see Twilight, if you accept our friends to help you whenever you need it, it'll make things much easier. We’re here for you. We would never abandon you after everything you’ve gone through. This is coming from someone who has experienced it herself. I wouldn't just ignore a friend of mine who is in dire need of help.”

Twilight didn’t know what to say about this. But it made her feel calmer, now that she had gotten these thoughts out of her system, all thanks to her best friend Sunset Shimmer.

“But, what about the nightmares? How long will I have them for?"

“That is something you will have to figure out yourself, I'm afraid. But if you ever need someone to talk to about this, I’m here for you. I care about you a lot. I’ve experienced what you’re going through. If you just accept the help from our friends, it’s only a matter of time before you’ll forget it ever happened.”

Twilight soon formed the biggest smile on her face she'd made in a very long time, before hugging Sunset in the process.

“Thank you Sunset. This really helped out the worrying thoughts I've been having lately. I couldn’t have done this on my own without you!”

Sunset smiled before as she stroked Twilight's hair to soothe her emotions. Twilight knew this long road was gonna be tough but knew she could face them with the help of her friends. What was gonna happen next was something neither she nor her friends would see coming.


A few days had passed since Twilight had her talk to Sunset about the worries she’d been having regarding Midnight Sparkle. Since their talk, Twilight was feeling mostly better. She still wasn’t entirely sure at first if she could trust these girls after spending many years on her own when still attended Crystal Prep. But after saving Camp Everfree from Gloriosa she realized that Sunset might have been right about her word on friendship. All this time she didn’t realize it, to begin with since she didn’t know a thing about friendship til she met her friends.

After helping Gloriosa and her brother out, as well as the rest of CHS with putting together an event to save the camp from being bought by Filthy Rich, they managed to earn enough money to save the camp from closure. If it wasn’t thanks to the seven of them and the rest of CHS, the camp would've become a spa resort and fade into the pages of history.

After having a little talk with her friends and Timber Spruce, Twilight found Sunset outside the cave looking at the stars. She had a cup of soda in one hand and her shoes in the other. Walking in heels wasn't great, so Twilight could tell her friend needed a break from them.

When Sunset spotted her she smiled before smiling back herself.

“Sunset, I think I’m ready.”

“Ready for what Twilight?”

“After what we went through these last few days from the strange things going on around camp to gaining these powers, and stopping a camp counselor from trapping us here. I’ve realized that the fear inside of me was just trying to take over. What if I used these powers, I’d become Midnight Sparkle again. But thanks to you and our friends, I’ve managed to get past that fear. I mean, fear is but the precursor to valor and to strive for triumph in the face of fear itself and if you use it as your strength it can answer many of the most wondered questions that’ll help you solve your problems.”

“Wow, did you just come up with that all at once?”

“Well yes, that’s all part of being someone as smart as me.”

“Hehe. That's why I like you a lot and why you're my best friend Twilight.”

Twilight smiled in reply before they each took a sip of their sodas and faced the opposite direction from one another blushing.

“And why Timber would love dating you. I can tell from a mile away you both have feelings for one another.”

“For once Sunset, your actually wrong.”

This surprised Sunset, as she spit out her soda in shock.

“What! But, I thought you liked him? You blushed several times whenever you were around him?”

“That was because he understood what I’ve been through. He wanted me to be his friend.”

“Is that so?”

“That and I do have feelings for someone else.”

“Really, who is that?”

Twilight soon got closer to Sunset as she whispered it in her ear.

“It’s you.”

“What! Why me?”

“Because Sunset, you’ve shown me how important friendship can be. Just by accepting it and using it for the greater good. I owe it all thanks to you. I also have developed feelings for you since you saved me at the Friendship Games. That is why I wanted to wait for a special moment to tell you this. I hope you’re not mad.”

Sunset put her shoes and cup of soda on the ground beside her before facing Twilight.

“You have nothing to be ashamed of Twilight. Because... I have feelings for you as well. I wanted to tell you, but whenever I saw you around Timber, I kinda figured you both liked each other. But now, I know why you chose me.”

“Yep, and that is why I ask this. Will you be my girlfriend?”

“I thought you’d never ask.”

And before Twilight knew it Sunset kissed her on the side of her cheek before blushing afterward.

“Do you think we should tell our friends?”

“It can wait for now, we’ve been through a lot these last few days. I mean, even though I'm happy to be starting this relationship with you, there is one thing I’m still wondering about.”

“What’s that?”

“Where did the magic that hit this cave come from?”

The two girls wondered to themselves that very question as to where it likely came from.

“Wherever it came from, we’ll find out someday.”

“Yeah, you're right Twilight. I know we will. As long as we got our friends by our side, we'll be alright.”

“Yep, that’s the magic of friendship for you.”

The two girls began to talk about something else to change the topic after their love confusion. However, unbeknownst to them their friends were watching them. They were happy to know that they both had feelings for each other following the long week they'd had at Camp Everfree. Even though Rarity still thought Timber would have been a better choice for Twilight after thinking it over she understood why and changed her answer.


After the party had long since ended the girls went back to their tents to get ready for bed. They’d be going home the next day so they'd need their rest.

They all had a wonderful time at Camp Everfree and now had magical geodes. Sunset already had plans to tell Princess Twilight about them as soon as they got home.

Rarity was still very disappointed her camp fashion show didn’t go according to plan and that she now had to make another pair of outfits for Sunset and Twilight. The ones she originally likely were at the bottom of the lake after they stopped Gloriosa. Not to mention watch the dock they worked so hard on getting destroyed again. Nevertheless, the girls were fortunate they had a great time at Camp Everfree and hoped to visit again in the future.

After Sunset got changed out of her dress into her pajamas, Twilight came over to her and put her head on Sunset’s shoulder, before wrapping her hands around her waist. This surprised Sunset in the process, making her curious about what was on Twilight's mind.

“Something wrong Twilight?”

“I’m still having trouble sleeping at night. I’m still having the nightmares. I don't know if I’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

“You’ll get through it, I promise. Is there anything I can do to help?”

Twilight nodded in reply.

“Yes but, I’m not sure you’d be ok with it.”

“Why is that?”

“I just know you won’t want to do it, that’s all.”

“Twilight just tell me already. I’ll understand.”

“Is it ok if you can sleep with me. Please?”

“Of course. Anything to help the girl I love and my best friend.”

Twilight blushed in reply before dragging Sunset over to her bed.

After saying goodnight to Spike, turning out the lights, and adjusting their position in bed Twilight was about to ask Sunset for another favor but knew it right away.

“If you want to snuggle with me, Twilight, just ask. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I will Sunset. Thank you.”

They remained silent for a few minutes before Twilight got Sunset’s attention once again.

“Sunset?”

“Yes, Twilight?”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight Twilight.”

"And Sunset?"

"Yeah?"

“I love you.”

“I love you too Twilight.”

Before they knew it, the two girls were fast asleep. Twilight slept silently next to Sunset as they joined hands together to support one another for a good future ahead of them.

Twilight was glad she ended up not letting her worries get to her on this trip and that thanks to Sunset she now feels more positive than ever. She knew that the nightmares were still gonna happen for a while longer but she knew that they could get through this with her friends and her new girlfriend by her side.

That's the magic of friendship!

Author's Note:

Sciset art made by EmeraldBlast63

This story I had in mind for doing for quite some time now and have finally gotten it over it and done especially with the continuous help of my friend Echo Breeze. I'm proud of how this turned out since a part of me always wished in Legend of Everfree Twilight was more open to her friends in regards to her worries around Midnight Sparkle, but now we got this story out to know what would have happened if she decided not to keep it away from her from. Also, sorry for such a wait on a new story, had a busy summer, went to a few new places, had to get a new computer and I'm doing college in person now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get stories out but I'm already in the works of another story to come out in the next few weeks, oh and make sure that if you want me to answer of your questions for my Q&A post your questions in my recent blog post but hurry, you only have till October 1st, 2021 to do so. Well, I hope you all enjoy this story, and make sure to comment down below and like the story. That's it for now I'm SciSetShimmerEvan and I'll see you all next time!

Comments ( 8 )

Did Twilight really never talk to Sunset or any of her other friends about her problems in Legend of Everfree? How'd she get over the whole Midnight Sparkle thing, then?

10981127
She technically didn't if I recall, not until the part where she almost leaves camp when Sunset sees her leaving at night.

Love the alternative story great job

I am happy to see them finally dating. I mean that is the pairing you want. Sci-Twi and Sunset is the best pairing. As Always I love the story keep it going.

10990799
thx, I always wished Sci Twi didn't hide her thoughts from Sunset and her friends about midnight sparkle and I thought it be a splendid idea for a story.

hmmm this is intresting
this story was based during the events of the legend of everfree

Login or register to comment