• Published 2nd Nov 2012
  • 2,774 Views, 173 Comments

Devil's Regret - All American



Following Devil's Due, Ryan has been forced into exile and is being chased on all sides.

  • ...
8
 173
 2,774

The Crew

I rested my head against the Hummer before closing my eyes. Could finally get some peace for what it’s worth.

-

I woke up to Remi licking my face. I grunted as I pushed him off and rubbed the spit off of my face. Stuff smelt awful, honestly. The sun hung over the lake, signaling high noon. Josh was teaching Dash and Field to skip rocks across the lake from what I could tell while Dallas sat a few feet from them, watching with a smile. I petted Remi for a few moments before getting up off the ground and stretching.

My guns clanked off the metal fittings on the holsters as I limbered up and leaned against the Hummer. I found my coat spread across the hood and slipped it back on. I would need to find a tailor at some point but it could wait. For now though, I needed a shirt more than anything. I spun around and pulled my door open and leaned in the truck. I flipped on the radio and ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ started playing. I guess this had to be Josh’s doing.

I turned up the radio either way and walked over towards the lake with Remi clinging to my side. I stepped behind Dash as she used her wing to sling a rock as hard as she could, bouncing at least five times across the surface of the water.

“HA!” She proclaimed at Josh “Beat that!”

“Easy.” He smugly replied before rearing back and sent a rock that bounced four times before stopping “Dammit.”

“HA! I win!” Dash exclaimed before Flying up to him and poked his chest “Guess who has to dye his hair pink now.”

“I hate you so much right now.” Josh said, dodging their bet.

“You have to do it now. HA!”

Josh turned to me “I don’t like her. Can we send her back?”

“See… this is the part where I tell you that I like her, so we’re keeping her.” I said as Remi ran full speed and jumped into the water, disappearing under the surface for a moment.

“I’m not a pet!” Dash got offended as she turned back to me.

“Did I say that?” I asked as I placed a hand on my chest “Bad Dash, bad.” I mocked “We don’t accuse people of things.”

“I’m going to make you regret that.” She said as Remi came back out of the water with a fish in his mouth.

“Good dog.” Josh said in his direction before turning to me “I taught him that while you were out.”

“Least I don’t have to hunt something down.” I said as I stuck my hands in my pockets.

Remi hopped out of the water and walked over to Josh, dropping the fish in his hand. He ran back over to me and stopped at my side. Dash dropped back onto her hooves and picked up another rock before throwing it at me. I dodged it as she smirked.

“Game on.” I said as I looked down at her.

“It’s always on.” She corrected me before flying over and latching onto my right arm.

“Adorable.” Josh sarcastically added as he tried to skip another rock but failed to get any farther “Somewhere out there a preacher is crying.”

“Don’t you know I live off the tears of holy men?” I asked, playing along with his sarcasm as Dash gave us both a weird look.

“It’s like Alex all over again.” Dash said as she sat down, looking over the lake “You two talk and I can’t understand a thing.”

“It’s an acquired skill.” I said as I took a seat next to her and put an arm around her.

As Josh tossed another rock into the water, the music from the H2 changed to Metallica abruptly, much to the displeasure of Josh. He spun round as Dallas jumped out of the truck and looked over at us.

“What? I couldn’t stand anymore twang.” He said with a shrug before walking over to the tree he had been under when I woke up.

Josh grumbled something as Field tried to skip a rock and failed at it, not really being equipped to do it since she was an earth pony. I honestly kind of felt bad for them. They didn’t have any real dexterity from what I could make out. I had my hands, pegasi had wings, and the unicorns had magic they could manipulate things with. Earth ponies didn’t have any of that going for them. Maybe ignorance is bliss. It’s not like they really fought over anything and especially while the biggest mass murderer in history still walked the land free.

Dash rested her head on me as I ran my hand along her side. Something about her touch after so long was like heroin. It had such a calming and warming effect and as soon as it ended, withdrawal starts to set in. I was like an addict falling off the wagon. Maybe love really was a drug like they used to say. I used to think I was jaded. One of those guys who stopped crying after his mother’s death. Yes, there were a few points like end of my time with Ulik where I broke down, who wouldn’t?

Field took one last attempt to skip a rock but it just sank as soon as it hit the water. She huffed before running off over to Dallas out of my sight. Remi, still wet from jumping in the water, ran over to me with a stick. Either Fluttershy did a really good job training him or he was damn smart. I didn’t remember teaching him this game. I humored him and took the stick before chucking it out into the water, far off. He ran off after it, jumping into the water without hesitation as Josh turned to me.

“So what’s the plan?” He asked.

“Do I look like a man with a plan?” I questioned “We are just going to get back in the truck and find the nearest middle of nowhere town then hope zebras don’t extradite us. If they try, start shootin’.”

“’Cause we’re classy like that.” Josh chuckled.

Dash nuzzled the side of my head, bringing a smile to my face as I looked over towards Josh “Look, we gonna have to get a move on today. We’ve already been here too long.”

“I don’t know where I’m going. Why are you asking me?” Josh asked.

“Put some of that training to use then.” I said before turning to Dash “Can you grab Dallas?”

She nodded and flew off as Josh moved forward and waited till Dash was far enough away “Look, we’re being followed. I don’t know by what but your dog isn’t the only thing that found us.”

“You ever consider, I don’t know, the fact we’re in the middle of the woods? There isn’t anything for at least fifty miles.” I reminded as Dash got Dallas’ attention and pointed back at us.

“No, I saw it while you were sleeping last night.” He explained “And I saw the same thing back in the woods when we you were attacked by those bird-things.”

“What the hell did you see then?” I asked as Dash and Dallas started back towards us.

“How the hell would I know? It was some lizard looking thing.” He tried to explain.

“That narrows it down to about half the things crawling around in the woods. Quit being paranoid. That’s my job.” I said before he grabbed my shoulder and spun me around to make eye contact.

“I’m serious. This thing has been following you, watching what you have been doing.” He deadpanned, proving he was serious “Damn thing was as tall as me, had claws, and a horn like that guy you shot the other day.”

That made me stop and think for a second. I could feel color draining from my face. That description sounded a lot like what Ulik was. In all my years here, I had never seen another creature like him and his father. Maybe the other were trying to hunt me down after they failed. Maybe they wanted to know what actually happened to Ulik. All the questions and wondering were pointless. Josh could just be making all of this up. After all, how did he see them and I didn’t? I felt a tug on my pant leg and snapped back to reality.

“Are you ok?” Dash asked from my side as I looked down at her “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Fine… just fine.” I stumbled on my words before switching topic and looked to Dallas “Hey, Where are we heading?”

“Uh…” Dallas mumbled as he pulled the map out and looked over it for a second “We’re heading due west. There should be a town of ponies there, actually.”

“What are they doing out here?” Dash asked.

“Something about a land dispute between them and the zebras.” He shrugged “Happened years ago and it has just been getting worse. No bloods’ been spilled over it yet."

“Good.” I said as I buttoned the top button of my coat “That means we can hide in the confusion.”

“Let’s go!” Dash added some enthusiasm.

“Come on Field, Remi!” I called back at the pair as I walked towards the H2.

Josh climbed up into the driver’s seat and I took the passenger’s. Dash, Dallas, Field, and Remi piled into the back seat and pulled the door shut. It was kinda funny watching all of them fight for space in the seats for a moment before Dash finally gave up and flew over the seat into my lap.

“Damn kids.” Josh snarked as I patted the dashboard and the truck started up “You gotta teach me that trick.”

“Can’t really teach something like that.” I said as he started the Hummer over towards the trail.

Josh pulled onto the trail and followed, just continuing along the trail we had taken last night. I assumed he was using the sun to judge direction. I really wished I could still drive but I didn’t want to trust my depth perception yet. Last thing I wanted to do was take all of us off a cliff. It would take a long time to adjust to only having one eye. Maybe I will never adjust to it. I guess I would know when it happens.

I grabbed the G36c off of the floor and set it in between my seat and the door as Dash sat got comfortable on my lap. It was going to be a long ride but at least my crew is still together, even if we were missing Atlanta.

-

It took almost three hours before the town that Dallas had mentioned came into view on the horizon. He had explained that the ponies that were here were originally part of a colonization attempt on the part of Celestia. The town of Appaloosa was one of the only successful ones though. This town was called ‘Junglewood’ and sat on the edge of the Jungle that separated the fields of Equestria and the grasslands of Zebra territory. From what I had gathered, the Zebras operated through a tribal system. No one government held power and they came together to defend the land as a whole. Most were neutral towards the Equestrians but always hostile towards the griffons. Maybe it was because both were more warrior cultures than anything else.

The dispute itself was because of the Equestrian push to colonize land closer and closer to the border till they practically moved in a few miles behind the border itself. I was effectively home-free as long as these ponies didn’t try and pull anything. I know that the Equestrians didn’t exactly like me but they weren’t exactly tied to Canterlot in any way. They are technically an independent town but still refused to move even though the Zebras requested it. Hopefully the Zebras would see that I was acting in a small group and would leave me be. I hate to leave my fate at the mercy of others.

Josh pulled the truck to the side of the road and slowed to a stop as the brakes squeaked. Everyone inside had been doing their own thing. Remi and Field had been playing while Dallas stared out the window. He never really was one to be social, I guess. Dash had curled up in my lap, asking me for stories about the time I had spent the desert. I censored most of them though. There were things that no one needed to know. I was and still am no saint.

Josh turned to me “Should we just roll in there….?”

“We are in a three ton beast and armed while they are tiny pacifists. What do you think?” I asked.

“Jeez, just asking. Dick.” Josh explained as he pulled back onto the road and sped towards the town.

The town had been built in the style of towns in the west. Everything looked like it had been constructed overnight and then built on top of. Like the settlement was never supposed to last more than two years but was then made permanent. It was built so that buildings lined a single main road that lead from the trail we were on and into the jungle. On one side, there was what looked like a city hall and water tower, while on the other there was general good store and bank. Housing filled the spaces in between.

As we drove closer, the ponies from the town started to bolt inside and hunker down. Doors started slamming, window shutters closed, and only the wind blew through the street. Josh slowed to a stop and pulled over behind a building. He put the truck into park and looked over to me.

“Game plan, captain?” He asked as he cracked his knuckles.

“Dallas and you are with me. Everyone else stays in here.” I said as I pulled out my rifle from between my seat and the door.

“Hey, I can take care of myself!” Dash asserted.

“Look,” I said as I looked down at her and set my hand on my back “If you get hurt, all of this is pointless to me. I might as well have died in Youngstown. I need you to be safe.”

“Oh, you’re good.” She said before punching my shoulder “But I’m still going.”

“Dammit.”

“Ha.” Josh mocked “You’re such a whipped bitch.”

“You, quiet.” Dash commanded him as he brushed her off and opened his door, stepping out.

“Whatever…” I mumbled as I opened my door “Remi and Field, stay here.”

Remi barked from behind as I stepped out of the H2 and Dash hovering next to my left shoulder. Dallas ran around and took my left side as I rested the rifle over my shoulder and walked over to the main street. I snapped my fingers and the locks on the Hummer gave a click. I walked to the center of town and stopped as Josh, Dash, and Dallas took each of my sides.

“So… where’d everyone go?” Josh asked with a snarky tone.

Comments ( 23 )

2537957

<insert greeting comment of your choosing here>

So when is he going to get a new power its been ages since he learned any new magic :pinkiehappy:

2538054

Soon my son.... soon. Probably gonna be more gun/car related shit. Don't expect him to start slinging fireballs any time soon.

2538077
Fireballs are overrated and would be pointless against Celestia.
Maybe something to do with his missing eye would be cool.

Anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to Celestia's demise.

2538137 Something like lifting up his eyepatch and taking control of someone with magic flowing from his eye socket?

2538203
Nah that's too much like The Stare, no something like his eye socket glowing red and allowing him to see for miles and never miss a shot (has to be gun related in someway).

Hopefully Celestia's influence haven't reached the Zebras and this won't be an ambush.
Personally, I'm excited for the climax to the story.

2538374

Eager as I am to write it, that is still a ways off. Rest assured, I have shit planned for you guys.

I figured the scene where they enter the town like in one of these old school westerns when the bad guy/anti-hero enters the town: everybody hunkers down and just scrutinize the bad guy/anti-hero through their curtains as he walks/rides along the main road, before stopping and entering the saloon/bank/sheriff's office. Only there, the bad guy/anti-hero was replaced by a big-ass Hummer...

...BAD ASS

2538223
Or something like DeadEye, Red Dead Redemption style.

Yay new town:yay:

2538448 Marvelous. Looking forward to it.

and than giant plush bear with tentacles and canons attack the town and everybody died. THE END.
static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1334030193995_5974770.png

been 11 weeks man is you gonna update this?

I've finally caught up... huzzah! I'll be looking forward to the next update.

*pokes with stick* Is it dead?

PLEEEEAAAAASSSEEE let him get his revenge on Celestia. Not by killing her, mind you, then the sotry would have to stop! I mean my kidnapping her or something like that.
If you ever make another chapter, that is. Its been over 1 year since the last one.

Felt like this needed a new comment after 73 weeks of nothing. Is this ever going to continue?

EDIT:

OFFLINE for 106 w, 6h

Well, shit.

The lizard is his son :pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy:

offline last seen Jul 6th, 2013


WELL WHAT IN THE SAM HELL HOLY FUCK!

This is such a damn good story an I wish to see more soon! DON'T LET IT DIE!


Shit it's dead ain't it?

Well he dead or left the fandom.

Either way this story is over.

Login or register to comment