• Published 2nd Nov 2012
  • 2,773 Views, 173 Comments

Devil's Regret - All American



Following Devil's Due, Ryan has been forced into exile and is being chased on all sides.

  • ...
8
 173
 2,773

The Question

I set the stock of my rifle down on the roof of the H2 again and placed my free hand over my eye, keeping the sun out of it as I looked at Ponyville receding into the distance behind us. The pegasi were buzzing around like bees from a disturbed hive. I was honestly amazed that the guard could put their own armor on if this was how they reacted to attack. They were completely unprepared for this kind of thing. Did they ever actually have a war or is the entire guard merely for show?

I felt a tug on my pant leg and looked down through the sunroof. I could see Dash looking up at me with apologetic eyes. I looked over my shoulder at Canterlot for a second before setting the rifle down and dropped back into my seat. Josh reached over and flipped on the radio, filling the cabin with a ‘Hell’s Bells’ by AC/DC. I turned it down and looked back at Dash.

“Yeah?” I asked like nothing was wrong as I kept looking at her and then back through the rear window to make sure we weren’t being followed.

“Hey, you know I didn’t mean that.” Dash tried to apologize in her own way.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” I played off.

Josh looked over and nailed me in the shoulder “Just accept the damn apology.”

“Fine, Dr. Phil.” I said as I flipped him off in retaliation.

“I’m sorry.” Dash said to gain my attention again “There, I said it.”

“It’s fine.” I accepted reluctantly as I reached over and patted her cheek “Not gonna lie and say I’ve had worse this time.”

“Who did it?” Dash asked as she reached out and traced one of the scars with a hoof.

“Gilda. Her crew killed Atlanta. Fucked up Dallas too.” I said as I looked over to him.

“Just a scratch.” He played off with visible scars.

“Don’t be slick with me.” I said with one last glance over my shoulder out the windshield to Canterlot before leaning over and kissing Dash “We still have some drivin’ to do.”

“What about my friends?” Dash asked as I grabbed the G36c.

“We’ll talk about it later.” I assured as I stood up back out of the sunroof.

We pulled up onto the road that snaked up and around the mountain Canterlot sat on. I was sure they had blockaded the entrance by now. It was time to see if the ram was worth the bits I paid for it. Josh turned the music back up as I pounded twice on the roof and he sped up. I braced myself with my free hand as he cut a corner and the arched stone gateway to Canterlot appeared. With mountain on one side of us and a dead drop on the other, the gate was the only option.

The gate had been boarded up. Normally open, it was maybe wide enough for two of the Hummer side-by-side. But now, only a thin slit was on the outside of the hastily-constructed wooden barricade for soldiers to enter and exit at will. They had to be high if they thought this was going to keep me out. Josh pressed his foot to the floor and the H2 sped towards the barrier at full speed. Two earth pony guards ran off in a panic as we smashed through, the Hummer jerking forward. Splinters flew in all directions as the crowd that were on the streets looked back in shock. In a panic, most ran inside, closing the doors like they had most likely been instructed to.

“Try not to hit anyone but the guards! We’re fugitives, not terrorists!” I yelled down at Josh.

I raised my rifle back up at one of the earth pony guards and fired back at him. A few of the rounds caught him and he fell to the ground. I grinned as I spun round and looked down the street. I felt like the king of the world. Nothing could stop me now. The road led straight through Canterlot and back down the mountain. If we followed it, it would lead us straight east and into neutral country. With Dash, I could finally disappear.

The Castle’s towers were visible, standing much taller than any surrounding buildings, and the entrance sat on the road. I could see the spot where I had parked the Hummer for the Gala. I looked down to Josh.

“Hold up.” I said as I ushered him to slow down “Stop for a second in front of the castle.”

“What for?” Dash asked “We need to get out of here!”

“It’s… a personal thing.” I dodged.

“I have better things to do than drive you around town.” Josh said before I kicked him.

“Just do it.” I commanded.

Josh rubbed his shoulder, glaring at me as he slowed down in front of the castle. In all fairness, he did sucker-punch me in the woods not too long ago. A few figures looked at me through the windows as I leveled the G36c at the castle. With my left hand on the pistol grip and the stock tucked under my shoulder, I flipped off whoever was looking at me with my right hand and opened fire.

I held the muzzle-climb in check as the rifle spit rounds out at the castle, shattering the windows and tearing up the stone walls. The shells bounced off of the roof as I raked my fire back and forth with what was probably a mad-bomber smile on my face. I kept firing till I was nearly deaf and the barrel was giving a slight glow. I beat my free hand off my chest once before dropping back into my seat and looked over to Josh.

“Drive.” I commanded with the grin still on my face.

Josh nodded, looking at me like I was crazy. He stepped on the gas and we set off again for the other side of the city. I could feel eyes on me from below but frankly, I didn’t care. The royals wanted a monster; they have one. I looked back behind us but it was apparent that the guard wasn’t coming after us. Maybe they called off the chase like cops would if a kid got involved. Maybe it was Dash. Hell, maybe they fell into confusion after Shining dropped. All it meant was an easier time for me to get the hell out of Dodge.

Josh slammed through the gate leading out of the city, leaving a path of destruction behind us. What had truly led up to this point? I had to ask myself that. Was it still a political thing or is it merely a game of petty revenge for all three sides? Either way, the guard paid for it today. Serves them right.

I dropped back down into my seat and closed up the sunroof. I took a deep breath as I set the assault rifle down by my feet and sat back. Hell’s Bells still played but I reached over and turned it down to get a moment of silence. I felt justified with my ears still ringing from all the gunfire. I smiled to myself as I turned to Josh.

“I need a smoke.” I stated as I eyed the pack in his pocket.

“Like hell.” He defended as he covered the pack with his free hand.

“I’ll remember this.” I said as I turned back.

“Good.” He shot back.

I felt a hoof tap my shoulder and I looked back to see it was Dash again. She looked a bit confused in a way.

“What was all that about?” Dash asked as she motioned back towards Canterlot in the rear window.

“Spur of the moment?” I asked with a shrug “They did order my death.”

“You killed Shining!” Dash fired back, his actions.

“He let Gilda do this to me!” I yelled as I pointed to my face “He abandoned me when the griffons first attacked! Don’t defend that coward.”

Dash backed down as I nodded, finalizing my point. I know I probably even looked bad in her eyes, but honestly, I just hoped she would understand in time. I know she will. She’s about the only thing I have faith in.

-

A few hours rolled by before I motioned for Josh to pull over. Dash had been sitting in my lap for the past hour, watching the scenery roll by through the fencing covered window. It was all probably a shock to her but it was better than being alone again, I assume. At least Twilight got one thing out of this; at least Dash has some closure.

Josh pulled over and stopped the Hummer, putting it into park. He stretched his arms out and looked down at a cheap watch he wore on his wrist. I opened up my door and Dash jumped out. I stepped out with her and Joshed climbed out of his side as well. It was getting noticeably dark but that was never a problem. My only thing is that everyone was probably ready to keel over on the side of the road. I gave a good stretch as Dallas jumped out of the truck with the map. He levitated it over to me and I unfolded it, looking for where we were.

“We’re inside Zebra territory. Maybe another hundred miles before we reach the coast.” Dallas informed as I found where we were on the map.

“Coast?” Josh asked from the other side of the truck “Sweet… I miss Florida.”

“God’s waiting room.” I commented as Dash flew up and pulled the map out of my eyes.

“What’s the plan?” She asked as she crossed her hooves.

“What plan?” I asked as I looked around “This is the plan. Do I look like a man with a plan?”

“So… what? We just run off to the Zebra coast and never go back to Ponyville?” She asked, not thinking I was serious.

“Pretty much.” I nodded “My goal was to get you out of harm’s way.” I explained “If I didn’t keep the Griffon’s occupied, they most likely would have come after you.”

“So I never get to see my friends again?” She asked, almost angry with me.

“I never said that.” I tried to defend.

“You’re in trouble….” Josh egged on.

“Shut up.” I commanded at him before switching back to Dash “You can go back… I’m not going to stop you.” I said as I walked around her and leaned against the Hummer “I can never go back. I’m a war-criminal to them and nothing will ever change that. I’ll end up on the chopping block and the griffons will get what they wanted.”

“What do the griffons even want? What did you do to them?” Dash asked innocently.

“They want the truck and the guns. That’s what they’ve always wanted.” I explained “They get them and find a way to make more, Equestria is no more. Get it?”

“Makes sense.” Josh added.

“No one invited you into this conversation.” I fired back at him.

“I have a habit of showing up uninvited.” He quipped.

Dash shook her head “Why can’t things go back to the way they used to be?”

“If only it were that easy.” I wished as Dash flew over me and landed on the hood of the truck.

“So what are we going to do?” She asked, expecting answers.

“Zebra’s don’t like the griffons and Equestria’s too timid to make a move. This is the best place for us. All of us.” I said as I motioned around to Josh and Dallas as well.

“Glad you’re looking out for me.” Josh snidely added as he lit a precious cigarette.

“I’m with you, captain.” Dallas added “Atlanta is too.”

I looked away for a second, trying to think of what to do before looking back to everyone “This is it. We move to the coast. Wait everything out ‘till it all settles down.”

“Yes sir.” Dallas confirmed with a nod.

“Well, I have nothing better to do.” Josh added.

I looked between the pair before turning to Dash “What’s it going to be?”

Author's Note:

Short, I know.