• Published 12th Sep 2021
  • 4,037 Views, 294 Comments

For Whom the Twilight Falls - iAmSiNnEr



Luna is the personal student of Princess Sunset, alongside her sister, Celestia. When there are reports of sources of knowledge being forcibly taken or stolen, Luna fears an old mare's tale may be true...

  • ...
15
 294
 4,037

Chapter 4 - He Who Enjoys

For Whom the Twilight Falls

Cowritten by iAmSiNnEr and Meowofy

Chapter 4 - He Who Enjoys


“Chryssy?” Luna peered at the changeling princess who was still deep in sleep. “We’ve arrived.” She glanced at Celestia, who was stretching on the train seats. “How did she sleep for a grand total of fifteen hours? She must’ve been tired.”

Celestia shrugged and looked out of the window at the rising sun. “Why did we even arrive here so late? Or rather, so early?” She ran a hoof down Philomena’s back absentmindedly, the phoenix crooning at the touch.

“Well,” Luna smiled sheepishly. “I forgot to account for delays and the train stations along the way. We stopped at two stations before reaching Ponyville, and we were there for half an hour at each station. Then we had to stop, for, what? Four hours because of a train malfunction ahead of us, if I remember correctly. Then there was this herd of sheep…”

“What time is it?” Chrysalis was awake, rubbing her eyes tiredly. “I thought we were supposed to arrive just before midnight?”

“Delays and stuff,” Celestia got up from her seat. “Urgh. I was drifting in and out of sleep last night. My body just didn’t want to let me enter the dream world, it seems.”

“Dreams…” Chrysalis looked as if she was deep in thought, before she shook her head. “Hm. Do you two have lodgings?” The changeling princess got up from the seat, before stretching and extending her wings.

“Let’s get out of the train first,” Luna suggested. The train conductor was coming down the aisle, and he was gesturing for them to get off. “We’ll talk more on the platform.”

The trio proceeded to get off the train, before pausing at the sight before them. A quaint town lay before them, the inhabitants seemingly still deep in sleep; although there were a few pegasi in the air, pushing the clouds to their respective destinations. Stalls were set up at almost every corner they could spy, with their owners already there.

The upcoming celebration had made its mark, too. Banners and streamers were everywhere, hung from house to house. Several signs had been erected right outside the train station, directing visitors to the inns that lay in the heart of the town. There was even a temporary stand set up, where a pony could guide visitors, though it was vacant for the time being.

There was a feeling in the air that just made them feel welcome, and as the trio slowly trotted down the street into the town, ponies waved at them from their homes, smiles on their faces. In the distance, they could see a bakery...and was that a tree with windows in it?

Luna shook herself out of her stupor. “Right, lodgings.” She pulled out a notebook from her saddlebags. “Radiant made the arrangements for us. According to her letter… Dear Luna and Celestia,” she read. “I have arranged for you to stay at the Ponyville Town Library for now. On the second level, there are rooms for its caretaker. The current librarian retires after the Summer Sun Celebration, and she was more than happy to let somepony take over early.”

“The next caretaker of the library has not been found yet, so you’re more than welcome to stay there for now,” Celestia continued, snatching the letter from Luna. The unicorn glared at her sister, but shrugged and rummaged through her saddlebags. “However, you will need to fulfill the role of the librarian should anypony come. I have been assured that Ponyville’s inhabitants rarely come to the library, so you shouldn’t have much to do.”

“She also provided a key and a picture of the library,” Luna mentioned. “Jeez, she did all this on short notice? Your mother’s resourceful, Mena.”

“Of course,” Philomena looked smug. “Mother is Princess Sunset’s aide. She has contacts in various places. You gave her, like, three hours of advance notice. Enough to send out one or two letters by magical fire and get back a response post-haste.”

“Looks like the library is the…” Luna peered at the photograph and blinked in surprise. “A tree?”

Philomena peered at the photograph from Celestia’s shoulder. “It would seem so. Looks like the tree in front of us, don’t you think?”

Chrysalis nodded and looked at the tree. “I heard of this particular tree before. It’s apparently been in Ponyville for a hundred years. The Ponyville ponies are proud of it, since the descendants of the founders of Ponyville were the ones who grew it. Somehow, the tree grew hollow, which was what allowed a library to be built inside. Surprisingly, it’s really strong.”

“Let’s check it out, I suppose,” The trio had already made it to the library during their talk. Luna inserted the key into the lock and twisted it with her magic; a click could be heard before the door swung open inwards.

“Here is where I have to part from you two,” Chrysalis looked apologetic. “I need to check in with the rest of the ‘lings. I’m already late as it is.”

Luna nodded. “Go ahead, Chryssy. We’ll see you later?”

“Maybe in the afternoon?” Chrysalis shrugged. “I have a lot of work to do, from the instructions I was given. Thanks so much for everything.”

Celestia grinned, before giving Chrysalis a hug suddenly. “You don’t have to thank us for anything,” she beamed. “We’re friends, now. Come look for us if you have anything to talk about, yeah?”

“O-of course,” Chrysalis stammered as she returned the hug briefly before extracting herself. “See you!” The changeling princess all but fled down the street, rushing off towards an unknown destination.

“She seems jumpy,” Luna observed. “Probably some bad dream.”

“Far cry from her mother, eh?” A male voice suddenly said from beside them. The two sisters jumped, and Philomena squawked indignantly as she was dislodged from Celestia’s shoulder. “Oh, did I scare you?”

Luna turned to look at a brown-colored unicorn, who was licking at an ice cream cone. Except...was he licking the cone? And why did-

“You’re a draconequus in disguise,” Philomena accused, settling back onto Celestia’s shoulder. “The ambient chaos magic in the air is giving you away.”

“Guh,” the ‘unicorn’ winced. “Should’ve known not to get close to a phoenix. They’re too sensitive to the magic in the air. Yeah, I’m a draconequus. Try not to spread that around, would you? I’m on the run from Princess Sunset.”

Celestia frowned. “What did you do?”

“Oh, you know,” the ‘unicorn’ tossed aside the cone, and it disappeared in midair. “There’s a fine line of how much chaos magic we draconequui can use. Your benevolent princess set that limit. I may or may not have gone over several times. Just a little smidge over the limit. Is it my fault I’m regarded as the most powerful draconequus born in centuries?”

“What did you do?” Celestia repeated.

“I may or may not have made it rain chocolate milk onto an orange orchard and caused them to lose an entire season’s worth of harvest,” the ‘unicorn’ smiled weakly. “In my defense, they were less than welcoming towards me when they saw a draconequus wanting to buy oranges from them. I kinda just, you know, got mad.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “You don’t have fine control over your powers?”

“Oh, none of us do,” the ‘unicorn’ shrugged. “We have some manner of control, but when our emotions get the better of us...Shall we take this inside? I don’t really feel like being overheard then thrown into a dungeon somewhere.”

“Why are you even telling us this?” Luna queried. “We’re Princess Sunset’s personal students. You do know that, right?”

“Pshaw,” the ‘unicorn’ shrugged, before gesturing at Celestia. “I know she won’t turn me in. She has an air of chaotic energy around her. You like pranking ponies?”

“Sure,” Celestia replied hesitantly. “Chaotic energy?”

“Inside, first,” the ‘unicorn' said cheerfully. “Oh, by the way; my name’s Discord.”

The three of them entered the tree, and Luna shut the door behind them. In front of Luna, there were two couches and a table in the middle of the room, surrounded by bookshelves lining the walls. The bookshelves were mostly filled with books, except for one that was empty, with a sign on it that read ‘COMING SOON’.

“Now,” Discord settled onto a couch, and the two sisters sat on the other one. “I’ll answer your questions, if you have any. Before you ask why I’m doing this, it’s because you interest me. I’ve not seen a pony before with that much chaotic energy around them. Sure, the occasional one with some, but you’re just positively filled with it.”

“You’re referring to Celestia?” Luna asked.

“Course,” Discord grinned.

“First question,” Celestia suddenly leaned forward. “Why Ponyville?”

“Not Ponyville, technically,” Discord shrugged as he flicked his tail and glasses appeared on his snout. He picked up one of the books on the table, flipping through it nonchalantly. “I live in the Everfree forest. It’s so filled with ambient chaos, that it’s perfect for me to live in while on the run. Perhaps you could visit one day.”

“And risk getting mauled by a manticore?” Celestia raised an eyebrow. “No, thank you.”

“Suit yourself,” Discord winked. He flicked his tail again, and this time there were three mugs and a jug filled with a viscous black liquid on the table. “Everfree coffee?”

“What’s that made from?” Luna’s nose wrinkled from the smell. “Doesn’t smell that great. I only drink quality coffee, no thank you.”

“Aw, come on,” Discord peered down his glasses. “It’s amazing, I promise. I made it myself!”

“Don’t do it, Luna,” Celestia glanced at her sister. “I know you’re gonna rant about coffee and how certain beans and stuff are supposed to be mixed in some perfect concoction. Coffee isn’t some heavenly drink that’s supposed to be only one flavor only - perfect, ‘kay?” Celestia picked up one of the mugs, before filling it with the ‘coffee’. “I’m gonna try it.” She downed it in one go, before wincing a little. “Little sour, but quite well made.”

“Why, thank you!” Discord beamed. “What about you, Luna Solaris?”

“Luna only, please. But-” Luna started, but thought better of it as Celestia nudged her. “Ugh, fine.” Luna tentatively took a sip, and her insides twisted and turned as the concoction forced its way down her throat. She retched and coughed at the taste, her body forcing her to push it out. “What in the six founders of Equestria-?!”

“Huh,” Discord put his mug down. “Looks like the Everfree had a reaction to you. Something about you just doesn’t sit right with the magic that keeps the Everfree around. You like organization that much?”

Luna coughed again, traces of the liquid still on her tongue. “Organization is what I do,” she forced out. "Wait,, you’re telling me the coffee tastes different based on our magic?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying!” Discord replied cheerfully, stirring at his own mug. “Little known fact - everypony has a signature magic aura based on their habits and the sort of magic they’re more suited to do. The Everfree is pure chaos. Your magic must’ve tried to fix the chaos that is the Everfree’s, and you got a rather painful backlash in return.”

“In the form of coffee?” Luna choked out indignantly. “No way you’re ruining my favorite drink like this. Coffee isn’t made by magic.”

“Well, this type is,” Discord shrugged nonchalantly. “The Everfree is unpredictable - it’s why I like living there. The only reason I’ve been coming out more is that the creatures have gotten more active lately, for some reason. It’s like they’re getting more skittish because of something coming, but they’ve been this way for two weeks and I’ve seen nothing. Nevertheless, it’s not as safe as it used to be-”

“Something coming?” Luna interjected. “What do you mean by that?”

Discord paused, looking at Luna. “I see this conversation has gone on longer than it should have,” he said finally after a few moments. “I’ll see you around, you two.”

“Wait!” Luna cried out as Discord got up onto his hooves. “What aren’t you telling us-”

“Know this,” Discord whispered. “Whatever is coming, it’s powerful enough to scare rocs and manticores alike. I’m not about to make an enemy of it by telling others too much about what I found out. I like you two, but not enough to risk my own life over it. Perhaps we could meet for ice cream tonight or tomorrow. Just don’t ask me about this again.” With a flick of his tail, the unicorn disguise melted away, and a draconequus straightened up. Discord snapped his fingers, and, with that, he disappeared.

“Looks like coming to Ponyville was the right idea,” Celestia observed. “The Summer Sun Celebration is in two days. We need to figure out what’s going on before then, so that we can inform Miss Radiant and have her do something.”

“Books are missing here!” Philomena called out from one of the shelves. While they had been talking with Discord, the young phoenix had flown over to the bookshelves to look at the books. “Looks like the transfiguration books are missing here, too.”

Luna galloped over and peered at the shelf. “Yeah, several books under the ‘T’ section are missing,” she murmured. “Along with some books on ‘M’. We’ll need to get a list to ascertain which books are missing.”

“I’ll get a letter along to Mother,” Philomena nodded. “See if she can scrounge one up for us.”

“In the meantime,” Celestia got up. “Let’s ask around discreetly to see if the Ponyvillians know anything.”

“Ponyvillians,” Luna deadpanned. “That really sounds like they’re villains, Celestia. I don’t think we should call them that to their faces.”

“Pfeh,” Celestia stuck out her tongue. “I’ll do whatever I like, thank you very much. Who knows, they might appreciate a good joke, unlike you.”

“Why, you little-” Luna growled. Her horn lit, and a feather appeared out of nowhere and into Luna’s magical aura. “I’m gonna tickle you into the next week, Celestia!”

“Nyeh,” Celestia stuck out her tongue again, before making a break for it. She pushed open the door and ran, all the while giggling uncontrollably. “You’re not gonna catch me- oomph!”

Luna paused in front of the doorway, looking at the scene. Celestia had slammed into an earth pony pulling a cart full of apples and caused the cart to tip over, along with the earth pony. The apples were rolling down the streets, and several passersby had already begun to help pick them up.

“I’m so so sorry,” Celestia apologized immediately, helping the yellow earth pony up. “I’ll pay for the apples I damaged-”

“No need,” The mare smiled. “It’s alright, this is only one cart out of the twenty I have to transport. If you help me move one or two, I’ll consider whatever apples you damaged paid for and yours to keep.”

Luna hurriedly trotted over and helped to pick up the apples too, along with using her magic to lift the cart up for the earth pony mare. “We’ll help you with the carts,” she promised. “It’s my fault for chasing my sister.”

“Say,” The mare raised an eyebrow. “I’ve not seen you ‘round these parts before! You new to Ponyville? Name’s Apple Bloom, of the Apple clan. What’s yours?”

“Luna, and that’s my sister, Celestia,” the apples had all been picked up, and the ponies who had been helping returned to their own business. “By Apple, you mean, you’re a descendant of Knight Applejack?”

“Indeed!” Apple Bloom puffed out her chest proudly. “Our family is all over Equestria. Wait, Luna and Celestia? Aren’t you two the students of Princess Sunset ‘erself?”

Celestia smiled sheepishly. “Yep, that’s us.”

“My word,” Apple Bloom grinned. “You’re less stuck up than the rumors and stories say. Especially since you’re up there with them nobility and all. I’m glad to have run into you. Come with me, I’ll treat ya to lunch if you haven’t had any.”

“No, no, we really couldn’t-” Luna tried to refuse, but Celestia elbowed her.

“Thank you, Miss Bloom,” Celestia smiled. “I’m really sorry about your apples.”

“Nah, they’re all fine,” Apple Bloom examined the apples. “We were lucky, this time. Besides, you’re the personal students of Princess Sunset! I can’t let you come to Ponyville and not experience Apple hospitality - it’d be a shame. And since we’re the caterers for the Summer Sun Celebration and all, might as well let you have an early taste, eh?”

Celestia nodded quickly. “Thank you, again.”

“And don’t call me Miss,” Apple Bloom grinned. “I’m turned twenty-four last month. You’re making me feel old.”

“I’ve always wanted to meet a member of the Apple clan,” Luna said, although she was groaning inwardly. “The stories about Knight Applejack really haven’t been really constant, if you know what I mean. Some say she conquered a dragon, some say she defeated the windigoes. Do you know what she did?” Since she couldn’t start investigating right away, might as well satisfy some of her burning questions.

“Sure do!” Apple Bloom beamed. “Let’s talk along the way, Pa will have my hide if I’m late again.” She hooked up the cart to herself again, before pulling it and moving off at a steady pace.

As they walked, Apple Bloom waved at the ponies they passed by. She was clearly one of the more recognizable ponies in Ponyville. “So, the way the story is passed down in my family,” she began. “She was one of the six heroes of the old Equestria. The story got garbled over the centuries, but it had something to do with a Tree of...Harmony, if I recall it correctly.”

“Was that before or after she introduced Earth Pony Magic to Equestria?” Luna asked eagerly, her scholarly side flaring up.

Apple Bloom chuckled, her eyes shining with mirth. “You really want to know, don’t you? Well, as I hear it, she planted the tree with the other five after the spreading of our magic. Legends say she founded Ponyville near the tree, so that she could keep an eye on it. Don’t take it to heart, though; the Tree of Harmony has never been found. I suppose you know them legends of the Elements of Harmony?”

“Yep,” Luna nodded fervently. “Legends say they were used in times of great peril to defeat the evils of that time. Their origins were never known, although some ponies speculated that they came from a seed planted by the Six.” Celestia repressed a giggle at the way her sister was nerding out.

“Well, Pa told me that they came from the Tree of Harmony,” Apple Bloom shrugged. “Don’t know if that’s true, but that’s how my family remembers it. Though, if the stories are true, the reason why we can’t find the tree…”

Luna tilted her head. “What is the reason?”

“Is because the Tree is deep in the Everfree Forest.”

Author's Note:

Writing lore while not doing too much exposition is hard, dammit. Due to Meowofy being busy irl, she won't be able to write for the story much anymore, therefore this chapter was written by me. I'm pretty sure she'll make an official announcement at some point. Until then, I hope you all enjoy this chapter. Oh, and have a good weekend! - Sinner

<3 - Meowofy