• Published 3rd Apr 2022
  • 1,908 Views, 187 Comments

Demon Slayer: The Strange Demon - Blackdrag-rose



Pinkamena was minding her own business inside Pinkie's mind before she was ripped out of it and thrown into a new world, without any connection to Pinkie, leaving her on her own as she faces demons and a threat to the safety of this new world.

  • ...
4
 187
 1,908

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: Last Words

It didn't take Pinkamena more than a few seconds to reach the area that Kyojuro was resting in, where it looked like part of her power had kept him around for a little while longer than one normally would in this sort of situation, though the Flame Hashira smiled as she approached, with Tanjiro and the others waiting nearby.

"I told Tanjiro some things I remembered just now, about heading to my parent's house and looking for the notes that the Hashira of my family left behind," Kyojuro said, showing that he wanted Pinkamena to know the information as well, just in case her friend tried to head over there in his condition, and if Tanjiro did move he knew that their ally would make sure nothing bad happened to him or his body, "I've never read them, save for the volumes containing how to wield each of the Flame Breathing techniques, so I have no idea what's inside any of them, but I think that there might be some record of this 'Dance of the Fire God' Tanjiro was talking about. Tanjiro, I want you to tell my little brother Senjuro that he should proceed down whatever path he thinks is right, as his heart tells him... and, if you can, I'd like for you to tell my father to take care of his body... oh, and Tanjiro, I believe in your sister and I accept her as a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. While we were facing the Lower Moon's attacks I saw her do everything in her power to protect the slumbering Humans, despite the fact that she was bleeding out... those who risk their lives to fight Demons, and protect the innocent people of the land, are Demon Slayers, no matter what anyone tries to say about them."

Pinkamena found that Tanjiro was pleased with that statement, since he was working to make sure his sister was accepted by the rest of the organization, and she committed the message to the rest of Kyojuro's family to mind, just in case her friend forgot it while he was resting. Kyojuro went on to say that if any of them got knocked down, by either their own weaknesses, feelings, or their enemies, they should flare up their hearts and move forward, along with the fact that none of them should be saddened by the end, as they weren't going to stop the flow of time. He told them not to be saddened by his death, as it was natural for someone of his status to stand up and protect his juniors, making it possible for them to grow and, if they were lucky, replace him as Hashira, or at least the Hashira for their chosen Breathing Styles, like Giyu if Tanjiro continued to use Water Breathing. His words, despite trying to bring happiness by looking towards the future of all those gathered near him, caused Tanjiro and Inosuke to tear up, that much Pinkamena knew since she was feeling sad as well, where this was the first time she cursed the fact that she was a Demon, as she couldn't mourn one of her few friends properly, only to feel tears flowing out like normal.

"Pinkamena... you are more than just a Demon, you're a Demon with the heart and soul of a Human, so hold your head high and continue with your quest," Kyojuro added, as he knew that, in a roundabout way, he had addressed the people who traveled with the Corps' most important ally and hadn't spoken to her yet, but this was all he could say, as his time was short and he could feel himself fading.

As she opened her mouth to say something, anything really, Pinkamena found that Kyojuro's eyes were on something, or someone, else right now, no doubt a figure from his past that he was seeing while he was on death's door, where a rather large and proud smile appeared on his face, as if someone was pleased with him, before he lowered his head and the life faded from his body. After that she turned out most of what the others said as she sat on a nearby rock, which she likely made with part of her ability or might have been left behind by her battle with Akaza, though she left Zenitsu and Inosuke talk with Tanjiro for a time, while Zenitsu kept Nezuko's box on his back. Of course Zenitsu had been out during the fight with Upper Moon Three, so he had missed witnessing the great power of a more powerful Demon, and yet he couldn't believe, even for a single moment, that a Hashira had been killed by such a foe, without being able to take his head, even if he had used a lot of his energy to keep everyone on the train safe. Tanjiro hated the fact that he was so weak, that he had been wounded during the fight with Enmu and was unable to do anything to help Kyojuro during the fight with Akaza, who had smashed his blade before he could even join the fight, which seemed to plant the desire to get stronger inside him, to stop this from happening in the future.

Of course that didn't stop Inosuke and Zenitsu from speaking loudly and trying to cheer Tanjiro up, as he was their friend and all of them were saddened by Kyojuro's passing, and, sure enough, the former headbutted the latter to prove that he 'wasn't crying', leaving Pinkamena to her thoughts.

After a while they were found by the Kakushi, who must have witnessed the train being derailed and came to investigate, only to be surprised by Kyojuro's passing, though as they helped Tanjiro and the others, to get out of the area before the passengers came to see who was on this side of the train, Pinkamena carefully lifted the fallen Hashira. With that done all of them departed from the area, heading for the Butterfly Mansion so her friends could be checked for injuries and rest up, though she would carefully lay Kyojuro in a casket once they reached their destination, before heading to deliver the report of what happened to their superiors. On their way to Aoi's place, since she seemed to be the only one due to both Shinobu and Kanao leaving for another mission, she learned from one of the Kakushi that the two hundred passengers were fine, having sustained only minor injuries for the most part, where only a single person, the Conductor that had been inside the locomotive, was slightly wounded, having part of his lower right leg crushed by the train. It was a miracle when one considered it, Kyojuro had placed his life on the line and saved so many people, in an event that would be seen as an accident in the eyes of the public, even though it would be hard to explain the fact that the locomotive was split like that, despite the fact that they were going with the seams falling apart.

Once they reached the Butterfly Mansion, and had Tanjiro sit down with his friends standing nearby, the Kakushi departed as one headed for where Kaguya's new hideout was located, where Pinkamena followed after her and used her power to hide them entirely, making it seem like the wind moved where they stepped, allowing them to reach their destination in no time, as his mansion was only an hour from Shinobu's place. Sure enough Kaguya seemed surprised to find that she had come to personally deliver the report on what happened after they were discharged from the Butterfly Mansion, but that didn't stop him and his wife from listening to what she had to say about what happened. Pinkamena informed him of the fact that Tanjiro had sought Kyojuro out to learn more about his father's dance, as he was curious as to why it acted like a Breathing Style when he used it, before she explained that they had run into Lower Moon One, Enmu, who was now dead and the Lower Moons had been shattered, unless their foe had more lined up to replace them. Their victory was cut short as an unexpected foe, Upper Moon Three, appeared and fought them to the death, where she and Kyojuro fought Akaza to the best of their abilities at the time, but, in the end, Kyojuro fell protecting the train and Akaza fled after witnessing the power boost she received.

"Kyojuro really was an incredible child... being able to save two hundred passengers, while fighting a Lower Moon's pawns, before nearly taking out an Upper Moon." Kaguya said, speaking after Pinkamena went silent, having given the report to him in the fullest, something that caused his wife to head over to the crows and composed a letter for a number of them, to tell all of the other Hashira about this turn of events, "Pinkamena, I'm sorry that you lost such a reliable friend, but I will commit his name to memory and make sure his sacrifices for us weren't in vain."

Pinkamena knew that there was more Kaguya wanted to say, so she sat down and listened to him for a time, though while that happened she was imagining what would happen the next time she encountered Akaza, as she was going to tear the Upper Moon apart, before focusing on remembering Kyojuro and listening to what Kaguya had to say, as there would be time to worry about the future later.


Akaza kept running for a few more minutes, as he was able to find a cave to hide in so he could wait out the sun and move when night arrived, allowing him to rest and recover from the fight he had just been in, though while part of it could be called a fight he knew what the other half had been. The other half had been a beating, a one sided fight that resulted in him being treated like he was trash, like his defenses were nothing compared to the power that was in front of him, and he knew that if it hadn't been for the smoke that erupted from his foe's attacks, covering him from her sight, that would have been his last fight. As he thought about it he knew a few things, the first being that Kyojuro had been a strong foe for him to face and it made him regret not facing the Flame Hashira in the past, if that was what they could do to him before his regeneration kicked in, while the second was that his foe had stated that the weaklings weren't weak and such a thing made him curious as to what they might do in the future. The third thing, however, was what dominated his thoughts right now, as there was a wall he wasn't expecting to discover when he moved to check out the ruined train, as he had been on his way to report to the Great One before spotting it and the faint presence of a fallen Lower Moon.

He had been expecting to discover some Slayers at the scene, maybe even a Hashira, but what he actually discovered sent a chill down his spine when he thought about it, the discovery of a Demon who had betrayed her kind, sided with the foul Demon Slayers, and the death of the Hashira had tipped her emotions over the edge, awakening a new power inside her, one that matched, even surpassed, his lowest amount of power. Akaza knew of the doctor who betrayed the Great One all those years ago, as one of their unspecified missions was to track her down and bring her to their master, but she was the only Demon, in existence, who had broken her connection to the Great One. Thanks to what he had found he knew that a chance to that thought was in order, there was a second Demon who had rebelled against the Great One, which told him that she must have found a way to do what the doctor did, yet they couldn't send the weaker Demons after her. Based on what he had seen earlier, and had nearly died to, Pinkamena was as strong as an Upper Moon, Six based on everything he had witnessed, and yet he knew she had room to grow even stronger, far more than what he had seen so far, and yet that thought sent a shiver down his spine.

There was something different about her, what he had no idea, but he was able to tell that she was definitely not like all of the other Demons he had encountered over the years, especially when he stopped to consider the fact that her form was unlike all of the hungry figures who served the Great One, as he had never seen a Demon take on such a form, much less wield the power that she commanded.

Akaza spent some time hiding in the cave, making sure no Slayers came looking for him, where he could tell that any that came to check on the train must have come from another direction, meaning they missed him entirely, but once the last ray of sunlight was gone, and night had come, he left immediately. He knew that the Great One was expecting him, due to the report that he had on the objective he was looking for, and Akaza already had a feeling about what was going to face when he reached the area that his master happened to be resting in. What was interesting was that the train had been heading in the direction of the Great One's current domain, where his newest disguise was working quite well on those he had encountered, so a Hashira had been on the way to incredible danger and it was a good thing he had been eliminated, as it was unwise to waste his master's time. Based on what he knew the Great One was currently looking for a way for to conquer the sun, the greatest bane to all Demons, and that had been part of his reasoning for the current disguise he had created, while also being part of the mission that all of the Upper Moons were given, even if he knew that one of them had a problem with following directions.

It took him some time to cross the forest, taking care to make sure that Pinkamena wasn't roaming it, looking for him so she could finish the fight, before he reached the city that his master was currently hiding in and made his way over all the rooftops, eventually ending in him landing on a balcony where a young boy, who looked like a much younger version of his old male form, was standing by a bookshelf.

"I have come to make a report, Lord Muzan." Akaza said, making sure to bow his head as the figure turned, which gave him a few seconds to see the familiar crimson eyes appear in place of the boy's black eyes, his master's way of making the new disguise last longer than all of the others that came before it.

"Did you find what we talked about?" Muzan inquired, because so far most of the Upper Moons had failed to find the one thing he wanted, a special ingredient that would allow him to walk in the sunlight and not be cursed with the weaknesses his body currently possessed, and even thinking about that failure irritated him to no end.

"I have done some investigations, checked the references I have been given, but have found that, so far, I have obtained no reliable information... I cannot even confirm its existence." Akaza replied, knowing that his words were going to enrage his master and that he was likely going to be punished for his failure, he accepted full responsibility for failing and held his ground as he waited for what was to come, even though his body was still weakened from fighting Pinkamena, "so far all the people I have interrogated say that the Blue Spider Lilly doesn't exist, and I have been unable to find it in several of the harder to reach places that rare ingredients have been found in over the years."

"So? Are you proud of failing me yet again?" Muzan asked, as he knew that many of the Kizuki Demons he had created, be they Lower Moons or Upper Moons, were proud of certain things and it usually included burying the Hashira, even though none of them could find the leader that was eluding all of them, where he could tell Akaza had encountered one that had been on his way here and crushed him.

"No, I am also displeased with my failure, and I use that as inspiration to push myself further than before, be it looking for the Blue Spider Lilly or locating Ubuyashiki." Akaza stated, though he could tell his insides rupturing as Muzan's anger, the all intense anger that all Demons feared, was turned on him as he knelt there, where he stood his ground and let his lord vent his rage on his body, even though it stopped after his master realized he had more to report, "I have also found out something shocking... another Demon has betrayed us, this time joining the very organization we are sworn to destroy at all costs. I'm sorry, I underestimated her power..."

Muzan paused for a few seconds, growing a little more annoyed that Akaza had underestimated his foe, especially due to the fact that it had been a woman of some kind, before catching himself, as this was the second time a Demon had turned on him, the first being Tamayo, who had a bounty on her head that no Demon had claimed yet. Part of him was curious as to which Demon it might be, especially since his Curse should have crushed them the instant they decided to turn on him, though he was annoyed that they dared to join the Demon Slayer Corps and hunt down her own kind, a grave sin when he considered it. It was that desired to figure out what was going on that caused him to hold out a hand to the Upper Moon that was in front of him, where Akaza produced a cup, no doubt taken from the nearby nightstand, and pricked his hand for a moment, allowing him to pour some of his blood in before handing it to his master, where Muzan took it and quickly downed the contents. Normally when he looked into a Demon's memories it would be after absorbing them into himself, an ability he rarely used these days, and with the loss of the Lower Moons, as he felt Enmu's passing earlier, he needed to ensure his most loyal Demons, the six Upper Moons, were around to do their tasks, even if they had been failing him for as long as he could remember, so he wouldn't seriously harm Akaza, not yet anyway.

What he discovered, however, was the fox masked Slayer getting angry over the Flame Hashira's upcoming death, to the point where he, through Akaza's eyes, witnessed her transformation into a fierce kitsune creature, it was the only thing he could think to call her, that seemed to dominate the fight in the wake of her awakening and forced Akaza to retreat, all so he could make his report on what had happened to him.

"Begone." Muzan said, as that was all he could say right now, after realizing that the strange figure he had found a long time ago had, against all odds, survived being turned into a Demon and was now tracking him down, though he felt that it was disappointing that he had missed her initial transformation, as it seemed like a powerful Demon had been born and could have, had she been properly trained, joined the Upper Moons.

Akaza bowed his head and departed from the building that his master was residing in, because there were leads to follow and more Slayers to take down before they could kill more Demons, though he didn't want to be near his master in case certain emotions consumed him, such as anger or fear, and focused on his mission as he wondered what the future held for him and the other Upper Moons.


Pinkamena focused on keeping Tanjiro contained inside the Butterfly Mansion, as his wound was somewhat serious and he needed to recover from what happened on the train, after delivering the report about what happened to Kyojuro to their superiors, who were now sending the crows out to inform the rest of the Hashira. While she did that her friends tried to cheer him up and help him get over Kyojuro's passing, along with trying to help her get over it as well, and for the most part she was no longer angry, just upset that she hadn't activated her true power before the final blow had been dealt, as she was positive that she could have saved him if she acted sooner. As they did that a crow arrived, the one Shinobu sent a few days ago, when they were first discharged from the Butterfly Mansion, which knew the route to Kyojuro's place, so when the time came she and Tanjiro could head out and tell the fallen Hashira's family his final words, the ones he asked her friend to deliver to his father and brother. She intended for her wounded friend to remain here for some time, to get over his wound and make sure he was ready for some intense training so he and the others could get used to the higher level of the Upper Moons, as it seemed like they might be running into them more in the future, so she wanted them to be ready for anything.

During the period of rest Pinkamena glanced at her new form, finding that she might be seen as a goddess in this form, as a kitsune existed in legend, and based on what she could see her proportions were the same, though her power over all of reality was far stronger than it had been before and that, with a single thought, she could hide her new form and all of the power that came with it.

Of course, after a day or two of rest, Tanjiro departed from the Butterfly Mansion, despite the wound he had suffered and the fact that his attempts at training had really prevented it from healing all that well, causing Pinkamena to sigh, because she had hoped he'd rest up first before heading out, before tracking him down. When she found him, following the crow to Kyojuro's residence, he informed her that he had to do this and there was nothing that could persuade him to stop, to which she simply sighed and followed after him, just in case his injuries acted up. The crow lead them to their destination, one of the many houses that were in the City near where they got on the Mugen Train, which explained why he was picked for the mission in the first place, he lived the closest and it was in his jurisdiction, though she found that the residents, for the most part, were out and about, so whatever was said would be between them and Kyojuro's family. What allowed the pair to know that they had reached their destination, and not some other house, was the lone boy that was standing just outside the house, a boy that looked similar to Kyojuro in terms of overall appearance, though he was saddened by what he and his father had seen in the news.

Based on what Pinkamena was feeling there was only one other person in the immediate area, no doubt Kyojuro's father, so they didn't have to worry about anyone interrupting them, something that caused Tanjiro to huff for a moment, as he was exhausted from the walk and his wound, before facing Kyojuro's brother.

"Senjuro Rengoku?" Tanjiro inquired, his voice snapping the young boy out of whatever mental space he had be in since he learned of his brother's passing not that long ago, all while he bowed towards him and Pinkamena mimicked it just a little, keeping her focus on the area they were in, "I don't know if you've heard or read about the obituary for Kyojuro Rengoku, but we were given a message to deliver to his father and yourself."

It was easy for Pinkamena to tell that Senjuro had read the obituary, in fact he likely knew the true story since he was part of the Corps, though before anyone could say anything she felt a slight disturbance and discovered an older male stopping nearby, who looked similar to Kyojuro, only he seemed angry and drunk.

"STOP. You've just come to tell us some useless crap." the old man, Shinjuro Rengoku as Pinkamena recalled that piece of information, stated, though as he came to a stop they found that he was definitely drunk or was getting close to that state, as he had a sake container in his left hand, which definitely explained why he was already angry, "The reason he died was because he became a swordsman, despite having no great talent for the art... pathetic... Kyojuro was a fool of a son. If you didn't know, people's powers are decided upon the moment they are born, meaning a small fraction of people have talent and the rest are just riffraff... garbage without any value. Kyojuro was like that, lacking the talent necessary to do anything of value... that's why he died, due to his garbage talents. Senjuro... the funeral's over... how long are you going to make that pathetic expression?!"

"Excuse me, that's a really cruel way to speak about your son. Please stop doing it." Tanjiro said, though Pinkamena shared the anger that was building in him right now, as she couldn't believe that Kyojuro's father was acting like his son was trash and wasn't allowing his younger son the time to grieve over his brother's death.

For a moment Shinjuro seemed to focus on why Tanjiro was here, just to tell him to get lost, before he spotted the pair of earrings he was wearing and dropped the jug, meaning he knew more about them than what the other Slayers knew, but given his attitude so far Pinkamena kept her guard up.

"You... I see now. You're a 'Sun Breathing' user, aren't you?!" Shinjuro said, confirming Pinkamena's suspicions that the Sun Breath existed and that someone knew of its existence, though in that moment he rushed forward, despite being affected by his sake, before reaching out with his hands, his left grabbing onto Tanjiro's left hand and pulling it back while his right was used to grab onto his neck, all while knocking him to the floor, only to pause as he felt a blade near his neck.

"Remove your hands, scumbag, before I remove them for you." Pinkamena growled, because right now she could care less about Kyojuro's message for this guy, as he wasn't worthy of having Kyojuro as a son and he definitely wasn't worthy to hear the last words of the son who was able to fight off Upper Moon Three before his death.

Senjuro seemed to agree with her, he was worried about Tanjiro and rushed to help him, something that caused Shinjuro to loosen his left hand before he actually struck his own son, which enraged both of them as Pinkamena loosened his grip with her power and opened the way for Tanjiro to kick him away from him.

"I really don't like you right now... just what the hell have you been doing?!" Tanjiro exclaimed, where Pinkamena was glad that no one else was around this part of the city, due to the fact that this could easily bring people and she knew that her friend would definitely be arrested, given how the drunken man was acting right now, "Badmouthing your eldest son, who gave up his life to protect two hundred people from Demons, and abusing your youngest son, whose still mourning the loss of his beloved brother. What's your goal in all of this?"

"You're just making fun of us, aren't you? You Sun Breathing user... I know those earrings, for it was written down by those who came before us." Shinjuro stated, showing them that he was definitely letting the drink get to him at this point, due to the fact that Tanjiro wasn't mocking anyone, he was curious as to why Shinjuro was acting like a monster, to his remaining son no less, though as he swayed Pinkamena made no move to help the man, "That's right, Sun Breathing it's the original Breath! The godly breath that was the first one ever created, and the one that all of the others are derived from... the rest of the Breaths are nothing more than imitations of the original Breath... not only are each of them blatant copies, but each one is inferior to Sun Breathing!"

This was all the confirmation Pinkamena needed, Tanjiro had access to the first Breathing Style, the one Muzan feared, or at least she assumed such a thing due to not having all the facts, but when Shinjuro told Tanjiro not to get full of himself, due to knowing the First Breath, Tanjiro freaked out and fought Kyojuro's father for a time. She knew why he was like that, he believed that if he knew and could use such a powerful and wonderful Breathing Style, which he didn't seem to be even a little bit aware of, than why couldn't he save someone who quickly became important to him. Tanjiro couldn't be even a little full of himself because every time he thought he made progress with his training, and thought he might have the skill to take down a powerful Demon, reality slapped him in the face and informed him that he was wrong, usually followed by him facing death and losing his Nichirin Blade, or losing someone important to him. Pinkamena stood off to the side while the pair went back and forth with each other for a time, Shinjuro showing that his power definitely belonged to a Hashira, or even a former Hashira, until Tanjiro delivered a blow to his head and knocked him out, as he decided to headbutt the drunken father with all his might.

Once that was done, and she was sure Shinjuro was unconscious, she and Senjuro carried the pair into Kyojuro's old place and set his father down in one of the rooms, while she focused on making sure Tanjiro was fine, since that fight will have messed with his recovery to some degree.

She didn't care enough when Shinjuro woke up and went out to buy more alcohol, who glared at her until she unsheathed her blade a little, reminding him that she wasn't afraid to fight him if he got his old sword out, but at the very least Senjuro made some tea for Tanjiro and the two got to talking about Kyojuro. Of course the official story was much different from what had happened, as people who knew Kyojuro, ordinary Humans anyway, had no idea he slew Demons for a living, so Tanjiro explained everything that happened after they boarded the train and joined the fallen Hashira. Tanjiro was sorry for not being able to do anything at the time, especially when Kyojuro was facing the Upper Moon that suddenly arrived in the area the train had crashed in, though Senjuro told him not to worry, as it seemed like something his brother would say if he was here. Pinkamena offered her condolences as well, as she lost a friend as well, before they got to the other reason why she and Tanjiro came here, where their host informed them that he had an idea as to which book they wanted to see and go up so he could find it, meaning they might be one step closer to understanding the mythical Sun Breathing.

When he returned, however, they discovered that the pages in the middle of the journal were torn, as if Shinjuro, in one of his rage filled episodes, tore it apart, with no regard for the historic significance of the book, causing his son to apologize for wasting their time and ended with him and Tanjiro agreeing to exchange letters, that way if he fixed it up, and found out what had been written, he'd send it their way, but, despite Tanjiro's protests, he handed over Kyojuro's blade guard, as he thought it would be better in Tanjiro's hands.

"Tanjiro, once your wound is healed we'll get to work mastering your true Breathing Style." Pinkamena commented, as she knew that much from watching her friend fight, though since it seemed like this was a dead end, for now anyway, she had to make him remember everything about the Dance of the Fire God and push him to his limits, in preparation for the next mission they would be sent on.

Tanjiro glanced at her for a moment, wondering what she meant with her words, since right now he considered his 'true' Breathing Style to be Sakonji's Water Breathing, but decided that training with her might be the correct option, given what he had seen during her fight with Akaza, and knew that her sessions would be the hardest he would ever face.

PreviousChapters Next