• Published 27th Aug 2021
  • 768 Views, 38 Comments

A Change Of Place - Melody Song



During a friendly visit with the Royal Changeling Brothers, Celestia and Luna's attempt at a spell goes horribly wrong. Now they've become changelings, and the brothers have become ponies!

  • ...
0
 38
 768

Let's Make A Swap

Why were they here again and when can they leave?

This was the question swimming through Pharynx’s mind as he and his brother walked down the hallway of Canterlot castle, being led by the crown princesses themselves, Celestia and Luna. Thorax had promised it would only take a couple hours, but knowing him, Pharynx wasn’t that inclined to believe it.

“It’s very nice to have you visit us today, King Thorax and Prince Pharynx.” Princess Celestia said to them, her majestic white wings spread out on her back in a warm, welcoming stance. “I’m glad you accepted my invitation to get to know each other more.”

“I-It’s nice to see the palace again, a-and not for some kind of delegation meeting.” Thorax responded, ducking his head timidly. Celestia smiled at him, her wise purple eyes gleaming with amusement.

“Yes, it has been some time since we have been visited by any creatures who weren’t here for politics or dangerous missions. I recall Twilight and her friends had similar questions last time I casually invited them over. Rainbow Dash seemed to expect something to burst through the doors and attack!” Celestia laughed softly.

Thorax laughed as well, and even Luna chuckled a little. However, Pharynx made no effort to respond. He remained silent as they walked into the formal dining room, lagging behind the group. As they entered, Pharynx noticed a small round table meant for a formal tea, with four chairs, one for each of them.

“Sit where you like, you two.” Luna said, gesturing to the chairs. “The food will be arriving shortly.”

The two brothers nodded to them and sat down next to each other, and the royal sisters sat opposite them.

“S-So, Princess Celestia, what’s been happening with you and your sister?” Thorax asked as he took his cup of tea, trying to make conversation.

“Quite a bit, actually.” Celestia smiled fondly at her younger sister. “I know we’ve worked on understanding the value of each other’s jobs, thanks to Starlight Glimmer.”

“She’s been bothering you too?” Pharynx grumbled, and Thorax chuckled nervously.

“Don’t mind him, he’s still mad that Starlight and Trixie said some… things about him when they visited the Hive. What happened with Starlight?”

“Well, the Friendship Map had sent Starlight to fix a friendship problem in Canterlot, which turned out to be between Luna and I. She ended up switching our cutie marks as we were arguing, and we were sent to do each other’s jobs for the day.” Celestia explained.

“And night.” Luna said, laughing softly. “Celestia had ended up talking to herself when she was alone.”

Celestia blushed and nudged her sister gently, who smiled back at her cheekily. Thorax laughed quietly, taking a sip of his tea.

“How did she even manage to swap out your cutie marks?” Pharynx said bluntly. “Wouldn’t she need an insane amount of power to do that?”

“Honestly, my sister and I are still unsure just how she was able to.” Luna replied. “We knew she had power rivaling Twilight’s, and that she had dabbled in replacing cutie marks before she was reformed, but we are still unsure if it was a frustration-induced surge or her raw ability.”

“Of course, there is a way to see for ourselves how it was done, by performing the spell ourselves. Based on the amount of our magic that we need for the spell, we can see if she would be able to under normal circumstances.” Celestia put in.

“Well, try it then.” Pharynx deadpanned, leaning forwards.

“Pharynx!” Thorax looked at him, shocked. “You need to be polite, you can’t just-!”

“What? This isn’t a formal meeting and it’s bound to be the only interesting thing we’ll see while we’re here, they might as well. Besides, it’s reversible, isn’t it?” Pharynx asked the two sisters.

“Yes, Starlight claimed that the spell lasts twenty four hours, but she admitted later that she had a counterspell for it.” Luna explained.

“Well, we might as well try it, Luna.” Celestia smiled slightly at the brothers before continuing. “After all, there’s not much else to do around the city that won’t hinder the diet you and the chefs conspired to put me on, and I am interested in what happens when an alicorn tries it.”

Luna frowned at her sister but nodded. “You and your experiments. I suppose we could attempt it. As we are the only creatures with cutie marks currently in this room I doubt it will be very consequential if Thorax and Pharynx bear witness.”

“On the count of three then, sister.” Celestia instructed the younger alicorn. “One… two…”

The two sisters nodded, and on the unspoken “three,” ignited their horns. Thorax and Pharynx watched intently, Thorax rubbing his leg nervously with a hoof while Pharynx perked his ears up, laser focused on the spell.

Slowly, the sister’s magic spiraled around their horns, creating a small bubble over the two’s heads. However, as they added more power into the spell, the bubble expanded rapidly, and before anyone could react, it had covered the entire table, including the changeling brothers.

Thorax cried out as there was a blinding flash of white light, and Pharynx hissed out a swear. Slowly, the magic faded out, and all four creatures were lying on the floor.

They looked at each other, then promptly screamed.


“What did you do?!” Pharynx shouted, looking down at himself in shock, his hooves coming up to feel his face.

“We have no idea what happened!” Luna shouted back, scrambling to try and stand.

The two alicorn sisters had become changelings, making the two stare at each other in shock, Luna’s hoof raised to point at her sister.

Celestia was Thorax’s height now, shrinking slightly to match his original height. The mare had become a white colored changeling with a light pink and teal carapace, and a golden tail with matching wings. Her mane had turned into a light lavender gossamer, matching her now compound eyes. She still retained her horn, but it was no longer spiraled and instead curved towards her body; a changeling’s horn.

Luna’s height now matched Pharynx’s old height, making her shrink down as well. Her deep blue coat had turned into identically colored chitin, with a black carapace, silver wings and a silver tail. Her compound eyes were still the same blue as before, but now her own gossamer mane was deep purple, with some blue notes blended in. She also bore a changeling horn rather than a unicorn’s.

The brothers hadn’t fared much better, Thorax was now hyperventilating while Pharynx stared at his hooves.

Thorax was now Celestia’s height-though honestly it wasn’t much of a size difference, he was just a bit taller. He had gained a light green coat, with feathered wings that faded to purple on the outer feathers. His horn was now a spiraled unicorn horn and his dark magenta eyes had pupils. Thorax’s new orange colored mane and tail was flowing similarly to how Celestia and Luna’s had. He was wearing golden royal regalia, matching his new cutie mark; a heart with a golden crown on it.

Pharynx had only become slightly taller, similar to Luna’s original height. Cyan chitin had turned into a rather fluffy-looking coat, along with matching wings that had red primary feathers. He had a spiraled unicorn horn, his round lavender eyes now almond-shaped and pupiled. Pharynx’s mane and tail were flowing with magic, mainly red with a fade out to violet at the end, though his mane was braided, hanging down by his shoulder. He wore silver regalia, his cutie mark an image of a shield with a sword.

The group continued staring at themselves in shock, Thorax reaching a hoof up to touch his horn, causing his crown to slip and dangle off one of his -- now pony -- ears. Pharynx stumbled slightly as he got up, one of his wings had tripped him. He groaned, then saw his reflection in a silver platter that had been on the table.

“What is this?! I’m fluffy. I don’t want to be fluffy. You two, change us back! I don’t want to be a pony!” Pharynx yelled at the sisters.

“Well, we can’t do that when we can barely sense our own magic anymore!” Luna cried out, her eyes narrowing, then widening as she looked around frantically. “How do you even see out of these things you call eyes?!”

“Hey! What about your stupid eyes?! How do ponies stand only looking at one thing?!”

As the two shorter siblings began arguing with each other, Celestia was busy examining her new appearance, staring at her newly chitinous hooves. Thorax, meanwhile, has calmed down enough to stare at his wings as they ruffled on his back. Luna and Pharynx’s fighting was interrupted at last as the doors to the room burst open and two guards rushed in.

“Your majesties! We heard screams, is there a problem?!” a guard said.

“Of course there’s a problem!” Pharynx snarled, glaring at them, but surprisingly, they stared back in confusion.

“Your highness, what seems to be the trouble? Everything appears normal.” the second guard spoke up, which just made the four royals even more confused.

“Good sirs, surely you cannot be so dim as to not recognize your rulers.” Luna said, as Thorax hauled himself up from the ground, wobbling on his long limbs.

“Of course we know who our rulers are, your majesty. Prince Royal Heart, has something happened?” The guard was now looking directly at Thorax, who stammered out a response.

“N-No, nothing’s wrong… we j-just got carried away.” he said with his usual awkward smile.

“I see. Sorry for disturbing you, your highnesses-” one of the guards said, as they turned to leave, however, Pharynx called out to them.

“Wait!” Pharynx took a step forward, nearly lifting his hind leg too late as his longer foreleg hit the ground earlier than he was used to. He recovered, flaring out his wings, before raising his head commandingly “Who do you think my brother is and who do you think I am?”

“Well, he is Prince Royal Heart and you are his elder sibling Princette Phalanx Saber.” the guard responded, looking confused.

“...My name is Pharynx, not Phalanx.” Pharynx corrected the guard, glowering at him. “And what kind of title is Princette?”

“Has something happened, your majesty?” the second guard asked Thorax. “The Princette seems to be acting strange today.”

“Of course not. Please forgive the Princette, I believe he has gotten a bit confused.” Celestia didn’t move, not wanting to trip in front of the guards like Pharynx had, though she still gave off an air of authority.

The guard nodded, glancing at Pharynx. “Have you been going by he/him today, your highness? You didn’t tell us.”

Pharynx blinked, his eyes widening slightly as he seemed to comprehend what was going on. But he merely shook his head briefly. “Yes, I have, apologies. Now, back to your posts.”

“Phar-” Thorax whispered, but Pharynx gently kicked him with a hind leg to silence him.

“Of course, your highnesses. Will you be showing Queen Coxis and Princess Atennia around the kingdom?”

“Yes, later. For now, return to your posts.” Pharynx said, waving a hoof at them. They bowed before leaving, shutting the doors behind them.

“Atennia?” Luna blinked in confusion, staring at herself. “Is that… me?”

“What was that for, Pharynx? We could have gotten them to help us!” Thorax cried.

“Clearly their brains have been scrambled, Thorax. When we walked in here they were right outside, and yet they had no clue we somehow switched bodies!” Pharynx replied.

“If we switched bodies you would look like me, not an adorably fluffy alicorn!” Luna retorted.

“Aren’t those the same thing…?” Thorax asked, promptly squeaking when both shorter siblings gave him death glares.

Celestia flared out her gossamer wings. “Luna, Pharynx, focus. As Pharynx said, it appears that our spell was more powerful than we realized. It must have created a paradox, causing everyone to believe these are our original forms. The four of us were inside the bubble that changed us, which means we’re the only ones that remember who we are.”

“S-So… they all think th-that… that Pharynx and I are their rulers?” Thorax asked

“The leaders of the ponies, specifically, and my sister and I must be believed to be the leaders of the changelings. I wonder how many parallels exist…” Luna put a hoof to her chin in thought. “Would there still have been a Nightmare Moon-like villain…?”

“Either way, we need to change back!” Pharynx insisted. “What about that counterspell you mentioned? You wouldn’t have tried this spell if you didn’t know it, unless you’re stupider than everyone makes you out to be.”

“We do know the counterspell, however, there’s no sure way of knowing if it would have the desired outcome. Just because the original spell we used didn’t work as planned, it doesn’t mean the counterspell will produce the same result.” Luna replied.

“Be that as it may, we need to figure out a way to switch back.” Celestia turned to face Pharynx. “Changelings must have more books on the knowledge of changing shape than ponies do, perhaps there would be some in your libraries at the Hive?”

“Changeling history has never been thoroughly documented, but I assume there should be some books.” Pharynx replied, as Thorax stepped up beside him, staggering but managing to straighten up. “...He’s still a good head taller than me, isn’t he?”

“Neapolitan complex?” Luna asked sympathetically.

“What in Hivemother’s name does that mean?”

“Nevermind. I believe it is in our best interest to go about our days as each other. If everycreature's minds have been addled by the spell it would be safe to assume they would believe something is wrong if we returned to our own homes in these forms.” Luna said.

“T-That does make sense, but we don’t know how to act like you two!” Thorax said

“We won’t need to. Clearly they’re expecting us to act like ourselves. The worst you’ll have to deal with is your throne.” Pharynx said. “Ponies aren’t like us, they don’t usually see their leader wandering around town looking for something to do because he hates sitting on a throne.”

“Well… yeah, I guess so.” Thorax looked down at his brother. “...I wonder why you’re so fluffy.”

“Shut up.” Pharynx grumbled, adjusting the silver crown on his head. The crown had two, red, antler-like spikes on the sides. His brother’s crown had slightly bigger, orange antlers. “I’m still confused about the ‘Princette’ thing.”

“I think you might not be as confused as you seem to be, Pharynx.” Celestia said, and he rolled his eyes-an action made much more obvious now that he had pupils.

“Even as a changeling you’re still annoyingly cryptic.”

“Yes, well, if I could have a word?” Celestia asked, and Pharynx sighed, nodding.

The two went to one corner of the room, stumbling slightly as their limbs moved quicker than they were used to. After a moment of struggle, the experienced pony-turned-changeling was able to put a bubble of silence over the two.

“You grasped that quickly.” Pharynx said stiffly, and Celestia smiled.

“I have had over a millennium of experience with controlling my magic. Even in this form it comes almost naturally. Now, as I was saying, I have a feeling you know exactly what the guards were talking about. Are you just afraid?”

“I’m never afraid. Don’t pretend like you know what’s going on in my head. Just because you can read emotions now like any other changeling doesn’t mean you can understand the way I think.” Pharynx snapped. “Thorax is the only one who will ever come close to that.”

“Because he is your twin.” Celestia’s compound eyes gleamed slightly. “But as I said before, I have over a millenia of experience as an adult alone, and I know more than you think.”

Pharynx growled softly, and Celestia chuckled.

“I think you seem to forget that while the changelings may have been the first to legalize the LGBTQ+ community, the ponies did as well. It makes perfect sense that-”

“That there was an entire civil war over the legalization costing thousands of pony lives?” Pharynx asked, his eyes closing as he gritted his teeth. His magic sprung to life around his new horn, the red aura flickering. “But what does annoying me have to do with that? Why don’t you just leave me alone?”

“You know what I meant to say. I’m ‘annoying’ you because keeping it from the one creature that loves you more than anyone else won't fix anything.”

“You have no right to say that, you’re not me!” Pharynx shouted, red magic blasting out of his horn and popping the bubble of silence.

“Phar? What happened?” Thorax asked as he and Luna walked over.

“Nothing.” Pharynx concentrated and the magic still around his horn faded. “...Interesting.”

“I’d imagine at this point your magic would be akin to a young foal’s.” Luna remarked. “Not completely in control, yet prone to magical outbursts when emotions run high.”

“I guess so.” Pharynx muttered. “But don’t compare me to a child again.”

“Why? Was your childhood really so horrible?” Luna asked snidely, and he stiffened.

“...How. Dare. You-!”

“Pharynx, she didn’t mean to-!”

Pharynx was snarling at Luna, his wings flaring out instinctively and his hackles rising. The alicorn’s breathing quickened, chest heaving as he looked ready to charge at a terrified Luna. Thorax raced forward, not even attempting to use his magic as he slammed into Pharynx and pinned him gently against the wall.

“Thorax!” Pharynx snarled and thrashed under Thorax, trying to get free, but he held firm.

“Pharynx, calm down! Please… come on, think of something else… u-um… d-do remember when Fortuna woke us up one night?” Thorax stepped back slightly, letting Pharynx find his hooves again as his breathing slowed and he sighed softly.

“Yes… we were seven… she woke us up at midnight to see falling stars…”

“Then what happened…?”

“...She asked us what we would wish for.”

“Aww.” Luna cooed, her eyes gleaming. “What did you wish for, Pharynx?”

“To go back to sleep.” Pharynx said dryly, though he smirked. “And Thorax said something cheesy, as usual.”

“He wished for that at first, then Fortuna made him be serious and he said he wanted to talk to Hivehunter without making a fool of himself.” Thorax explained, despite Pharynx smacking him on the shoulder.

“So precious! So you’re-” Luna was cut off as Pharynx made a slit-throat motion with his hoof.

“Bisexual, and Thorax is an idiot.” Pharynx glared at his brother, who grinned back.

“Come on Phar, it’s not like it won’t become public knowledge eventually. So, can you two taste it?” Thorax asked, glancing at the sisters. Luna hesitated, then she and Celestia stared at each other, Celestia nearly drooling.

“Chocolate?”

“When changelings taste romantic love it usually tastes like a form of chocolate.” Thorax laughed, smiling at his brother. “I knew it, you do still love him.”

“Shut up Thorax… you wished for something sappier.”

“Did you now?” Luna smiled at Thorax. “Pray tell, what?”

“I told Fortuna I’d wish for a hero, but it was pointless because I already had her.” Thorax admitted, smiling at his brother. “Then, after a while, we fell asleep beside her.”

“That is quite precious. How cute you two must have been when you were small.” Luna’s expression was akin to a doting mother, wistful and happy.

“Indeed, but I do have a question, who is Fortuna?” Celestia asked

“She’s none of your business.” Pharynx replied, standing up.

“Phar-”

“Come on baby bro, let’s go do whatever it is that pony royals do.” Pharynx said, cutting his brother off and leading him out. Celestia lowered her head to Pharynx’s ear level as he passed.

“So, you are prepared to tell your brother you are Bisexual, and yet-”

“Shut your ancient mouth.” Pharynx spat in response to Celestia’s almost inaudible whisper, before raising his voice to address his brother. “Let’s go, Thorax, I get the big throne.”

“I wonder who raises the sun and moon if we are not alicorns…” Luna said softly.

“Hopefully we won’t have to figure that out. Come along sister, let’s go to our… Hive.” Celestia said, leading her sister out.

The brothers entered the throne room of the castle, discovering that the sister’s thrones had changed as well, becoming two identically sized thrones, one of lime green and the other of cyan. Pharynx trotted over and sat on the cyan one, his brother sitting on the other.

“Now what?” Thorax asked

“Your majesties! You’ve returned!” a unicorn trotted up to the two, a clipboard held in her magic. “While I have you, I need your opinions on this draft proposal for the Yakyakistan-Equestrian trading policy.”

“O-Of course, let us see it.” Thorax said, and the unicorn levitated a stack of papers over to him. “That’s a lot…”

“Of course, the treaty draft must be rewritten and simplified many times before it is finalized. You know this, my Prince. I’ll leave you to it.” she bowed before trotting away, and Thorax blinked in utter confusion.

“What do I do…?”

“Give it to me.” Pharynx snatched the papers over, having apparently quickly gained control over his levitation. He scanned the papers for a couple moments, then tossed them down. “Basically it’s saying we get some of the Yak silks and crops in exchange for our produce and other goods not available to them. Sign it.”

Thorax blinked, but shrugged and signed it as his brother commanded. “How do you do that?”

“I’m smart.” he smirked at him, and Thorax rolled his eyes, leaning back on the throne.

“Pharynx, what did Celestia mean when she said you knew why they called you Princette?”

“I don’t know, it’s Celestia. She has a reputation for being cryptic and confusing.” Pharynx huffed, staring at his wings as he folded and unfolded them. “This is boring, I can pretty much walk now, I’m going to see if I can get into the armory and spar with someone.”

“But what if I-”

“You’ll be fine!” With that, Pharynx had jumped off his throne and trotted off. Thorax sighed as the unicorn came back in.

“Royal Heart? You’re needed in the kitchen to discuss tonight’s dinner.” the unicorn called.

“Well, at least it’s something simple.” Thorax sighed to himself as he followed the unicorn out.

Meanwhile, Celestia and Luna had flown to the Changeling Hive, where they promptly landed and strode in. As Celestia had predicted, noling stopped to question why they suddenly looked like changelings. Though they did get a couple looks when Celestia accidentally hit her horn on a low doorway.

“Ah, um, excuse me?” Celestia stopped a passing changeling. “...I’m sorry, what’s your name?”

“I’m Cilia, your majesty.” the changeling replied, bowing to her.

“Yes, right. Would you kindly remind me where the library is?”

“It’s just down the left corridor, are you feeling okay, your majesty? You usually remember where everything is.” the changeling remarked.

“Oh, I’m fine. Lu-Atennia and I have just been a little distracted with the meeting with the Equestrian Princes.”

“Ah, yes, sorry your majesty.” the changeling trotted off after giving a quick bow.

“I don’t recall ever seeing Thorax’s subjects bow to him unless Pharynx was giving them a ‘look’.” Luna said, watching the changeling leave.

“Differences of treatment, Luna.” Celestia replied as they walked to the library. “Thorax has always held his subjects at a much more intimate, friendly standing than you or I do. Since he is now seen as the ruler of Equestria instead, they likely expect that of him, but as I seem to rule the changelings now, they will treat us with the respect we have been given by the ponies.”

“I suppose you have a point.” Luna agreed as they entered the library. “Now, where shall we begin searching?”

“Let’s begin by looking at all the titles, call if you find something.” Celestia instructed her sister, and the two wandered off.


“Nothing!” Luna tossed her hooves up in frustration. “We’ve searched through this entire library -- well, I have, you stopped midway through to find yourself a snack! But there’s nothing about switching bodies! How do changelings, a species known for being shapeshifters, not have anything about changing species involuntarily!”

“Luna, if our own library couldn’t help us, expecting this one to have answers was a long shot. Cake?” Celestia responded, offering her a leftover slice of the treat she had procured for herself.

“You are the same in any form.” Luna said snidely, smirking at her sister as she snatched the slice up, shoving it into her mouth. “So what do we do?”

“First, you chew before talking. Second, perhaps we could attempt the counterspell Starlight spoke of.” Celestia suggested. “Though as you have stated yourself, it could be risky, especially seeing as Thorax and Pharynx will have to cast it now.”

“Well, it’s better than nothing.” Luna strode over to her sister. “Come sister, let’s see if we can get away with going back to Canterlot without anyling noticing.”

“Anyling, sister?” Celestia chuckled. “Only a couple hours mostly spent in the library, and you’re already going native.”

Luna blushed and nudged her sister forward. “You may tease me later, sister, we must go.”

“Your majesties!” another changeling rushed up to them. “We’ve been looking for you, the nursery drones-”

“Apologies, subject, but we-did you say nursery?” Luna asked, her compound eyes going wide..

“Lu-Atennia, no…” Celestia warned. “We must return to Canterlot at once, I’m sorry young one, but whatever it is must wait.”

“I apologize for my sister, please, take us to the miniature balls of cuteness.” Luna interrupted, and the changeling beamed, leading them down the hall.

“Luna, if Pharynx were in your place he would never say that.” Celestia whispered.

“We are not them, we are our own changelings, you said it yourself. Besides, though I may not understand the adults, I happen to be quite intrigued with the young.” Luna retorted, giving an eager smile as the changeling stepped aside, allowing the monarchs to enter the room they had been led to. “Oh… my…”

“Goodness!” Celestia finished for her sister, as the miniature changelings fluttered around in the moss-covered den. They stopped upon seeing the monarchs, crowding around and chattering eagerly.

“Oh, they’re so adorable!” Luna scooped up a nearby nymph, holding it. “What is the problem here, subject? The nymphs seem fine.”

“Yes, well, there was an incident, all the nursery drones were needed and we have noling to look after the young ones.”

“We’ll do it, please, go about your duties.” Luna answered immediately, and the changeling left with a grateful smile.

“Luna, as adorable as these little things are, we need to leave before Thorax and Pharynx are forced to deal with the sun and moon.” Celestia said.

“Oh, we have hours yet! I’m sure it won’t take long!” Luna objected, before lowering down. “Who wants to play hide and seek with your princess?”

“We do!”


“...Tia, I’m sorry.”

“...”

“Really, I’m sorry!”

“...”

“...Well, I didn’t know it would take that long!”

“You played six rounds of hide and seek, two rounds of tag, and then insisted on staying to read them a story before they took their naps, all of which happened after the nursery drones came back.”

“In hindsight, I see why that could have been a problem?” Luna offered bashfully, and Celestia sighed, smiling slightly at her little sister.

“I can’t blame you that much. I did have a chance to learn more about the changeling monarchy while you kept the nymphs busy. The Chrysalis in this world was actually our mother and father. They were called Queen Dermias and King Sternum.”

“Interesting. I learned from the nymphs that changeling magic is more powerful in their royalty, much like us. There is apparently a ceremony they use to imbibe new royals with the family magic.” Luna told her.

“Perhaps this is something we should discuss with Thorax and Pharynx when we return. I’m interested to know if this is something strictly confined to the reality our spell created.” Celestia nuzzled her sister. “I am confiscating your dessert for a week, though.”

“What?!”

“You want to play like a child, you can be treated like one. Especially since you made us so late.”

As the two formerly pony sisters continued flying back to Canterlot once more, the brothers had met back up after hours of separation.

“Well, apart from an interesting sparring match with a guard, I found out some things.” Pharynx said to Thorax as they sat down in the dining room, setting what looked like a history book on the table. “Apparently, as far as everycreature else is concerned, there was a villain similar to Nightmare Moon. Dark Saber terrorized Equestria for a brief time before you banished her to remain in the stars for a thousand years and ruled alone.”

“That’s -- wait, her?” Thorax blinked in confusion, and Pharynx stammered.

“I-I meant him.”

“Pharynx…” Thorax said warningly, his brow raised in suspicion.

“Okay, fine. It was a mare, I’ll explain later. The point is, Twilight still brought her, or, well, me back. I’m also apparently the captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor was my subordinate but got moved up in rank when he and Cadence went to the Empire. Other than that, everything else lines up.”

“That’s interesting… I wonder if Celestia and Luna have found anything.” Thorax said.

“Unfortunately not.”

Celestia and Luna had arrived. Celestia continued her train of thought as they entered the dining room.

“Your books were quite interesting and some even offered insight on the history of changeling magic. However, none of them had what we’re looking for.”

“Typical.” Pharynx said gruffly. “It couldn’t have taken that long to figure that out, though, what took you so long?”

“Luna met the Hive’s nymphs.” Celestia gave her sister a look, and the smaller changeling blushed.

“So she’s taken the place of Thorax then?” Pharynx asked snidely, and Luna glared at him.

“Despite… distractions, I think it is time we attempt the counterspell.” She said, “We can teach it to the two of you, as you’re now the alicorns and have had time to practice using your magic, it would be best if you performed the cast.”

“Alright then. By the way, I can apparently move the moon.” Pharynx said, his wings ruffling on his back in unease.

“You can?” Luna asked, and Pharynx nodded.

“I managed to find some information about what everyone believes is the real history. ‘Royal Heart’ and ‘Phalanx Saber’ were crowned after their combined efforts relieved Starswirl and the other unicorns of the duty of raising the sun and moon, like you. Since they were alicorns, as they grew older they gained enough power to take over the duties separately. There’s no mention of me patrolling dreams like Luna, but I did try to reach out to that branch of magic in my aura and it exists.”

“That is interesting… we discovered some history as well.” Celestia said. “But it can wait. Let’s begin. It’s almost evening, and if we don’t manage to switch back by then we may have to put that new information to use.”

After a few moments of explaining what the spell was supposed to do and how to cast it, the two brothers ignited their horns and attempted to cast the counterspell. But, though their combined magic created a small ball of energy between their horns, it quickly fizzled out.

“It’s alright. This is a complicated spell. Try again.” Celestia encouraged, sounding like a teacher attempting to help a child with a new trick.

The two brothers tried facing each other as they tried again. However, it was to no avail. Each time, the magic fizzled out before the spell could be completed. At one point it looked to be working, but the magic bubble burst with a pop before it could expand enough to surround them all.

“We don’t have time for this! We need it to work, now! It’s almost sunset anyway and I really don’t want to have to raise the moon.” Pharynx seemed to be getting frustrated, his horn sending up red sparks of magic. “Why isn’t it working?!”

“Well, it could be because of your cutie marks.” Luna suggested, pointing to their marks. “Unlike us, your marks are far more specific, they show you being natural leaders and protectors, similar to your capabilities in your normal forms. Ours refer to our talents in raising the celestial bodies themselves. Doing so requires an immense level of power. We simply needed to unlock ours, but your pony forms grew into the task over time.”

“Meaning?” Pharynx asked.

“Your power levels are reserved for moving the celestial bodies, while we can use the power for any spell we choose to.” Celestia explained. “Otherwise, like unicorns, you have magic that’s focused on the unique abilities of your cutie mark talent, and the basic levitation abilities all unicorns have.”

“So our powers are like Tempest’s, then.” Thorax said, looking at Pharynx. “They’re not meant to be used for raising the sun and moon, but in this altered history we’ve trained our magic to be able to do it. Otherwise, they can only perform the basic magic beams and levitation.”

“Precisely… should we ask how you know Tempest Shadow?” Luna asked.

“She and Pharynx are-” Thorax stopped himself when his brother glared at him. “-They’ve met.”

“Anyway, if we can’t complete this spell ourselves, what do we do?” Pharynx asked

“Perhaps we should seek out the one that created the spell in the first place.” Luna suggested.

“But her brain would be all scrambled too, wouldn’t it?” Thorax asked.

“Perhaps, but we may be able to explain the truth to her, if she’s willing to listen.” Celestia replied.

“Alright… to Ponyville then.” Thorax agreed.


The group made their way through the city of Canterlot to the train station, deeming teleportation much too complicated to attempt in unfamiliar bodies. They were immediately recognized by the conductor and crew, and while no one knew what the four royals were doing there, they were given a private car, permitting them to speak freely.

“Hey Phar?” Thorax asked, and Pharynx looked away from the window he was looking out of.

“What?”

“You said you’d explain why this version of you had a female dark half.”

Celestia and Luna turned their attention to the brothers as Thorax spoke, their insect-like ears perking up with interest. Pharynx glanced towards them, the only one to notice the nod of approval Celestia gave.

Pharynx sighed and straightened up, sitting with his flowing tail curled around him. “The same reason why they keep calling me Princette, and why my mane’s braided.”

“And that would be?” Luna prompted curiously.

“...The real me is Genderfluid.” Pharynx admitted, glancing at Thorax. “I hadn’t gotten to tell anyone yet, and clearly this version of me didn’t either, until recently. It was even in the history book. Dark Saber was a manifestation of every single one of ‘Phalanx’s’ desires, including his gender. When he was saved, he admitted who he really was, his title was changed to Princette, and his pronouns became he/them/her… just like I want mine to be.”

“You could’ve told me earlier Phar, you know I would’ve supported you.” Thorax said, putting a hoof on his-on their shoulder.

“I was going to tell you eventually… I was just… afraid. Not of you, obviously, you couldn’t hurt a fly.”

“Then what were you afraid of?” Celestia prompted, and though Pharynx glowered at her, they finished their thought.

“Just of what everyone else would think, I guess.” Pharynx undid the braid their mane was in, letting the long locks fall around their shoulders. The long mane framed Pharynx’s face, which did in fact make the pony look more feminine.

“But your entire species has become far more open and welcoming, has it not?” Luna asked

“Even after I transformed, I still had my personality, and the changelings don’t exactly enjoy that. They thought just because I transformed, I would adapt to be just like them. But I didn’t, and the more they subtly outcasted me, the more I knew I had to be someone they could respect, rather than befriend.” Pharynx explained. “So, I’m the no-nonsense soldier, the war veteran who has seen battles and hardship. The protector of the Hive.”

“Phar, why didn’t you say something?! I-If I had known they were still mistreating you-”

“It wasn’t mistreatment, Thorax. They just don’t adore me like they do you. I need to prove I am worthy of their respect, and if they found out that I… enjoyed the idea of being called a girl and acting like one… well, I’m pretty sure I would lose that.”

“Phar, no one will ever think less of you just for being who you are. You are our protector, and whether they like it or not, the others know that. Telling everyling who you are will only help, I promise.” Thorax said, and Pharynx smiled at their brother, genuinely.

“We’ll see, brother… still, I’m glad you care, at least.”

Luna and Celestia aww’d at the sight of the two, and Luna licked her lips.

“That tasted very sweet… like candy, almost.” Luna chuckled softly. “Changelings are quite fascinating.”

“I agree.” Celestia pulled her sister against her side with a hoof, and the two pairs of siblings sat in silence, content to enjoy each other’s company for the rest of the trip.

After finally arriving in Ponyville an hour later, the silence continued, though in a hasty fashion as they headed for the Friendship Castle where Twilight and her former student lived.

“Starlight?” Thorax called as they walked in, and the unicorn in question trotted out of an open doorway.

“Prince Royal Heart? Coxis? Atennia? Princette Phalanx? What are you doing here?” she asked

“Great, her brains are fried too.” Pharynx muttered. “Starlight, I’m not Phalanx, I’m Pharynx.”

“What?” Starlight blinked in confusion.

“We need your help.” Thorax tried.

“With what?” Starlight asked

“Look, your mind has been tampered with so you think we’re your leaders.” Pharynx said, but Starlight just looked more confused.

“Let me explain.” Celestia said. “My name is Princess Celestia, my sister Princess Luna and I were having tea with King Thorax and Prince...Princette Pharynx. We were discussing how you switched our cutie marks to teach us a lesson.”

“But… I didn’t, I switched Royal Heart and Phalanx’s.” Starlight objected.

“That’s the problem.” Luna stepped forward. “We were attempting the spell ourselves, with the counterspell at the ready so we could switch back. However, instead of switching our cutie marks, it instead switched us. My sister and I became changelings, and Thorax and his brother became ponies.”

“But-”

“Before you ask, somehow the spell flipped a switch or something in everyone’s heads, making them think it’s always been like this.” Pharynx added.

“I… but that doesn’t make sense. I don’t understand!”

“Understand what, Starlight?” Princess Twilight asked as she walked out of another doorway.

“Twilight!” Celestia called.

“Oh, hello Queen Coxis… wait, what are you all doing here?”

“They’re claiming my cutie mark swap spell switched their forms and altered everyone’s memories.” Starlight said.

“What?” Twilight stared at them, blinking in confusion.

“Well, what if we could prove it?” Luna asked

“How?” Starlight asked.

“When Twilight was six years old and just getting used to staying in the castle, she got lost, crawled into my bed accidentally, and I found her snuggling up to me the next morning. She called me mommy.” Celestia said, and Pharynx burst out laughing at the mental image.

“B-But… I… that… I did that to Royal Heart…” the princess stammered, blushing.

“When Spike defended me in front of the Crystal Ponies, you gave a speech about how Spike taught you a lesson in giving everyone a second chance, no matter who they are.” Thorax spoke up.

“When I entered Starlight’s dreams to warn her of the changeling’s second invasion, she was dreaming about Twilight and her friends telling her to never return to her old village.” Luna joined in.

Finally, Pharynx stepped over to Starlight, staring her dead in the eye. “When you and Trixie came to visit Thorax and tried to help him reform me, you called me a lost cause after five minutes and said Thorax would have to banish me from the territory. Then you were more concerned about who would break it to him rather than my feelings.”

Starlight froze, staring at them, slack-jawed. “...They’re not lying.”

“That’s what we’ve been trying to tell you!” Pharynx facehoofed in frustration.

“But that still doesn’t make sense!” Twilight cried out.

“What now?” Luna asked with a sigh.

“She means that we believe you now, but my spell doesn’t have that capability!” Starlight then rushed off, Twilight close behind. The four royals followed the purple mares through the maze of rooms, Pharynx taking flight to track them better.

Starlight ran into the library, pulling over a box of scrolls and taking one from it. She unfurled it, then the two mages began reading over it, muttering to themselves. The four waited with baited breath, glancing out the window every so often.

“Okay, this doesn’t make sense, this spell isn’t designed to switch creatures!” Twilight said at last, jabbing a hoof at the scroll.

“Well it did, so how do we fix it and snap everyone else back to their senses?” Pharynx asked

“I’m not sure… have you tried the counterspell?” Starlight asked.

“We weren’t able to get it to work.” Thorax explained.

“Good, I’m not sure what that would have done.” Starlight said, making Pharynx growl at her.

“But based on what you told us, I think we can write a new spell to fix it!” Twilight added, attempting to calm Pharynx down before they reacted badly.

“You can?” Thorax asked hopefully.

“I think so.” Twilight pulled over a blank scroll, the two mages beginning to scribble randomly on it with their quills.

“We can start with the basic matrixes for the original, but add in switching components for mind and body too…”

“But they didn’t just take on each other’s forms, they switched species entirely.” Starlight added.

“Right! The spell analyzed the different components of the species and worked from there to give you your own unique bodies… it’s also safe to assume that minds were reset and history was rewritten…”

Starlight and Twilight continued writing furiously, Celestia leaning over her student’s shoulder to read it.

“It’s t-time to lower the s-sun…” Thorax noted, his ears flicking with worry.

“Do your best to lower it, Thorax, don’t worry if it’s not the steadiest, no one will notice.” Celestia assured him.

Thorax gulped and nodded, his horn glowing with his bright cyan aura. The sun slowly began to move as he lowered his head slightly, trying to guide it, but it just trembled in midair. He began breathing faster as he struggled to stay calm.

“Try to visualize the sun disappearing behind the horizon, instead of just leading it down with your head.” Celestia told him.

“Indeed, my sister and I use that process, it works much better than the time I ended up trying to dig myself into the ground in an attempt to get the moon to follow me.” Luna said, the two sisters sharing a laugh over the memory.

“You can do it, brother.” Pharynx said, putting their hoof on Thorax’s shoulder. “I believe in you.”

Thorax nodded, his breathing steadying as his magic strengthened. The sun slowly began to set, and Pharynx smiled, keeping a firm grasp on their brother as they began to raise the moon.

“Oh good, the light’s back.” Starlight said, as the moon lit up the room. Pharynx rolled their eyes and sent a small blast of magic at her side.

“Just keep writing, genius.” he snapped as she yelped in pain.

It was a night of complete silence. The royals pacing around anxiously, looking through random books and fiddling with small objects before eventually falling asleep in a pile on the floor of the library. Starlight and Twilight stayed up, however, and in the late hours of the morning, held up the completed spell at last.

“We finished!” they announced, causing the royals to jolt up from their pile of sleeping bodies.

“Get off me!” Pharynx cried, shoving Thorax and Luna away from where they had been practically on top of them.

“I’m sorry Phar, you’re really fluffy like this, it’s so comfy!” Thorax apologized, making them blush and growl at him.

“So where is it?” Luna asked as the group stood up.

“Right here.” Twilight said, pointing at the scroll.

“Wait!” Starlight grabbed the scroll and wrote one last thing down. “I just need to put in a final safety hook so that only the affected creatures get switched back to normal. Wouldn’t want the spell trying to affect the two of us. Now we’re ready. You all as well?”

“Yes, it’s about time.” Pharynx snapped.

“What time is it, even?” Luna questioned

“About eight in the morning.” Twilight replied.

“And the moon’s still up.” Starlight noted.

“Because we fell asleep! You were taking too long!” Pharynx defended.

“Well, that doesn’t matter, Luna can lower it when we cast the spell. Come on.” Twilight beckoned them over, shooting a warning glance at Starlight.

“One last thing.” Starlight said as the four royals lined up in front of them. “After we reverse the spell, we’ll completely forget this happened. You’ll be within the spell matrix, so you four will likely remember everything. But if we forget, it’s okay. We have the spell with a short reminder at the top. Just thought I should let you know in case we get a little confused for a minute.”

“Alright, alright, whatever, just do it already!” Pharynx snapped impatiently.

“Hold your hooves, I’m doing it.” Starlight rolled her eyes. The two purple ponies then ignited their horns.

A small bubble appeared above the two’s horns, and they both widened their stances, letting out grunts of effort as the bubble grew larger, then lifted up and hovered over the four royals. It widened, encompassing all four swapped creatures, then in a flash of white light, it was gone.

The group opened their eyes… to find themselves back to normal once again.

“Thank Hivemother.” Pharynx mumbled, smirking and flexing their chitin-covered hoof. “I’m back.”

“What… what happened?” Starlight’s voice asked softly. She and Twilight were laying on the floor, having been blown backwards.

Starlight was already getting up, rubbing her head and mumbling something. Celestia, now back to her former glory, smiled knowingly before igniting her horn. In a flash of light, the group was back in the Canterlot castle dining room.

“What was that for?” Thorax asked.

“Starlight and Twilight are very capable ponies, yet as experienced as they are with unusual circumstances, the sight of four royals standing before you without any context as to what’s going on would be unsettling for them. They have the scroll to explain what happened, there was no need to make it any more confusing for them.” Celestia replied as she lit her horn once again and lifted the sun, Luna quickly following and lowering the moon.

“I agree with my sister. Besides, we likely have a lot to catch up on, having lost an entire day.” Luna said.

“I guess that makes sense… I’ll have to write to Twilight and Starlight later, and thank them.” Thorax said.

“As will we.” Celestia agreed, smiling at Luna. “For now, though, with our past escapades no doubt having been subsequently forgotten by our subjects, we should be going about our business.”

“Agreed. As incompetent as they are, both of our kingdoms’ guards will be getting worried about where in Hivemother’s name we are.” Pharynx stated, promptly beginning to shove their brother out.

“W-Well, have a nice day, Princesses!” Thorax called out as they left the dining room. “We should do this again sometime! T-Though without all the spells gone wrong!”

“That is a splendid idea, in fact. We still have much to learn about each other’s cultures, though preferably we won’t need to walk in each other’s hooves again.” Celestia said, though the changeling monarch was already out of sight. The sisters both chuckled as they walked past some very confused-looking guards.

“Indeed, dear sister,” Luna smiled at her elder sister, “Indeed.”

End

Author's Note:

The product of a random picture I saw by chance on Google, and me being really bored during the week before school started. Drew the cover art myself (no, the dark area on Thorax's mane was not on purpose, it's a long story). Hope you enjoyed the story, anyway.

~Melody Song

Comments ( 37 )

The product of a random picture I saw by chance on Google

Was it… this one?
derpicdn.net/img/view/2017/10/6/1553451.jpg

10953718
Why yes

You can see I made my own designs for them though

“She’s been bothering you too?” Pharynx grumbled, and Thorax chuckled nervously.

“Don’t mind him, he’s still mad that Starlight and Trixie said some… things about him when they visited the Hive. What happened with Starlight?”

Oh come on pharynx I'm sure they didn't mean to happen like that

“Honestly, my sister and I are still unsure just how she was able to.” Luna replied. “We knew she had power rivaling Twilight’s, and that she had dabbled in replacing cutie marks back before she was reformed, but we aren’t quite sure whether it was a power surge out of frustration or her own raw ability that allowed her to do it.”

Yeah a lot of us never thought that Starlight is that strong with magic

10954275
Don't think he'd listen to reason on that

10954277
But boy was she

10954462
Of course not he's like my brother stubborn 😑

“I think so. I can start with the basic matrixes for the original, but add in switching components for mind and body too… you didn’t just take on each other’s forms, you switched species entirely. So the spell analyzed the different components of the species and worked from there to give you your own unique bodies… it’s also safe to assume that not just minds were reset, but history was rewritten too…”

Holy mackerel so basically like an alternate universe type of thing dang that is another strong magic man

10954696
Yeah, well, it was cast by two alicorns

Well this was a pretty interesting story here and it's one of those freaky Friday situation here so Princess Celestia and Luna invited thorax and pharynx for a get together tea but then they explain about how Starlight switch there cutie marks and they want to do the magic as well but unfortunately it backfired but instead of switching their cutie marks they switch species with both changelings and not just their appearance but it also ultranet everybody's mind but somehow keeping the original script so both royalty siblings have to find a way to switch back and without any idea they have to go to Starlight but it looks like she found a way somehow so she use her power and switch back everybody to normal good job Starlight this was pretty good one here keep up the good work



Gender fluid Pharynx!!!
Awesomeness!!!

10966259
So glad you like it!

10966263
Don't know why your surprised.

I like a lot of your stories

10966266
Well, yeah, but I didn't think many people would be open to the idea

One of my other stories, Dear Family, also mentions a Genderfluid Phar, and, well...

10966271
That's more a result of all the bigotry in the Brony community.

The fandom is mostly made of straight men, who get understandably offended at all the assumptions that you have to be gay to like girls entertainment.

However, instead of getting mad at the bigots making such crude jokes, they try to force the LGBT+ Community out of their fandom. That way they can insist no brony is gay, bi, trans, gender fluid, or anything else.

They are fine with lesbians, because straight men like to fetishize them, which is just a different form of bigotry.

Such reactions come from an understandable insecurity, but that is expressed in a not so good way.

10966276
Yeah, that makes a depressing amount of sense. Well, I'm glad you liked the story, anyway

10966284
Oh I love it.
Faved it in everything.

The idea of this AU particularly sounds like a fun fic in it's own right

10966284
Fear my semester of psychology training

10966289
Heh

10966288
Yeah. I was this close to role-reversing everyone. The changelings into ponies and vice-versa. But I decided to keep it with just the royals or it would look too much like they walked into an AU

10966293
I'm glad you went with this storyline.

I almost didn't want them to change back

10966300
Heh, that would have been interesting. Alas, I doubt they would have liked staying in each other's roles forever. At least, Pharynx and Luna would have opinions on the matter.

10966302
That's what make it interesting!!!

10966304
Heh, true. Pharynx's pony form is pretty adorable...

10966305
I did love Pharynx in this best.

10966307
Yay! I did my best with all of them but I feel very proud of how I captured his snarky demeanor

I'm loving the changes you made.
Very nice story...

But I stayed up too late reading it

THUD

Night night

10981390
Oh no! You should sleep!

Just reread this, and I think I can spot some of the changes.

Like more build up before the spell is cast

This is an incredibly entertaining idea! I'd love to see more of it. Pharynx felt out of character at times though, lengthy explanations don't feel like their style

11521684
Fair enough, glad you enjoyed!

Login or register to comment