• Published 11th Sep 2021
  • 2,977 Views, 112 Comments

Dark - LilithGalac



What happens when a parasitic species, known for adapting to the traits of its host, finds itself attached to a magical pastel friendship horse?

  • ...
6
 112
 2,977

Passion for Fashion

The world… an entire world… Not prey. Friends.

Scratch, still unsure of how to feel about this particular shift in perception, slowly stands. She must be on her way… to breakfast. While friendship, love, dreams, speech, and magic may all be frightfully complex subjects to her, there is one thing Scratch knows innately: Hunger. She has waited for centuries to feed. And as the smell of food wafts up from below, that waiting becomes truly real to the xenoquine, her stomach growling painfully.

Slowly, Scratch makes her way to the door. Equine instincts driving her, she reaches a hoof to a doorknob she should have no ability to grip, yet… she does. Scratch decides that to question this would only invite further headaches, making a mental note to never question anything her hooves are able to do again.

Scratch lets the door swing open, and steps onto a landing. She can see a large library before her, down a flight of wooden stairs. Memories, taken from her host, rise unbidden in her mind; This is Home. This is the Library. This is… tree…?

She shakes her head, carefully descending the stairs next to her… Until there is a sudden flurry of motion at the entry door. The thing flies open, and a pony dramatically steps in; A flash of purple and white and red, magic simply oozing off of the creature as she makes her entrance. Scratch, unexpectedly skittish, quickly hisses and scales the wall next to her, clinging to the ceiling as the interloper makes her presence known.

“Daaaarling!~ I’m here about your letter! I- oh. I’m the first one here, suppose I’m no longer the fashionably late one.” The mare murmurs. Scratch looks closely at her; She is a white unicorn, with a short purple mane, most of her hair pulled back into a curly ponytail. Her tail is long, and equally curly. The mare has scars on her midriff and face, and wears a silky, soft-looking shirt, underneath a crimson scarf.

Slowly, she looks up, seeing Scratch above her. Scratch stares back at her, ready to flee.
Don’t… want to scare… She thinks.

The pony continues to stare. Scratch stares back.

… This… is awkward. Scratch thinks.

“Well come on then, let me have a look at you! You must be what Twilight’s letter was about, darling!” The pony says, smiling warmly. Scratch, slightly off balance by the unexpected response, carefully climbs down the wall, stopping once she’s at the floor. This mare is slightly taller than Scratch, until she gives a calm bow of her head, humming airily.

“Twilight’s letter mentioned a ~new arrival~, I suppose that must be you! Here I thought it would be a shipment of fine silks, but alas!” She began to circle Scratch, tapping her chin as she stopped in front of the xenoquine. Scratch’s back is to the entryway door now. She considers fleeing, briefly.

“Hmm… Well, it didn’t mention anything about dressing her new arrival, so I suppose Twilight isn’t wishing to give you a makeover.” The mare places a hoof to her forehead, sighing dramatically.
“Not to say you aren’t simply fab, of course, I love what you’ve done with the purple! Very nice, darling. But I think you could really spice it up with some nice pumps, or a cute dress. Hmmm, I’m thinking low-cut-”

“Thank you, Rarity.” Comes Twilight’s faintly exasperated voice. Scratch, seeking rescue, peers past the white unicorn. Twilight is standing in a doorway beneath the stairs, where the smell of food is coming from. Scratch sighs softly in relief as Rarity’s attention is drawn away, the large mare finally taking her eyes off of the flustered xenoquine.

“Not a worry at all, darling! So, why did you call us all here? And why am I the first one to arrive?” She sighs dramatically once more, collapsing into a chair with a hoof on her head.
“I must be the one making a dramatic entrance, the final arrival, the one all eyes turn to! You know I’ve told you to send my letters last, darling.”

Twilight smiles, closing her eyes for a moment and taking a breath.
“This was a little more important, Rarity. I needed everyone here promptly. Applejack is out of town, Pinkie’s restaurant is always busy this time of day, Fluttershy is out in the Everfree-” Twilight stopped, shaking her head.
“I knew you were just getting back from another… thing, and knew I needed to catch you before you got busy.” Twilight gently taps Rarity’s head, nudging her to stand. The unicorn obliges, rolling her eyes.
“Fine, fine, I see how it is!” She throws a hoof up, turning to Scratch.

“So, your… new arrival.” She approaches once more, Scratch taking a half step back. She needs to say something, anything to get this mare to stand back…

“Hhello.” She manages. Rarity gasps, stopping in her tracks and grinning.
“How polite! My, where did you find her?” Rarity asks.

“Growing inside my ribcage.” Twilight replies, smiling weakly. Rarity nods sagely, not listening as she pulls a measuring tape from inside her scarf.
“Ah yes, just like my last g- excuse me, say again?” She stops, saving Scratch from being measured a second time.

Twilight steps forward, placing a hoof on Rarity’s to push the measuring tape down.
“I’ve got her measurements.”

“Mmm, very well. So, you wish for me to make a fab outfit for your new galpal, hmm?” Rarity asks, excitement in her eyes. Twilight shakes her head, taking a step back.
“Rarity, take a closer look at her.” She says, carefully. Rarity rolls her eyes.
“I don’t see what there’s to see, she’s- oh. Ah.” The mare finally settles her gaze properly on Scratch, and frowns.

“... That is something new. What is she, then?” Rarity asks, taking a seat as dramatically as she can on a nearby couch. Twilight looks at Scratch.
“A new species. Discovered, erm- yesterday. She’s parasitic. Grows extremely fast. Adapts to her host… and apparently isn’t meant to be this friendly.” Twilight explains. Rarity nods, listening closely. Scratch is slightly taken aback; the other mare seems to be taking the situation seriously, despite her earlier… oddness.

Rarity nods slowly.
“So, you wished to summon us all to get our thoughts on her, hmm? Well, she can speak, that chitin is simply goooorgeous, and my, that tail! I can think of such ways to accessorise it.” She laughs airily, running a hoof through her mane.
“So, how did you find her?” She asks. Twilight looks at Scratch, tilting her head.
“That’s… a long story. Scratch, why don’t you go get breakfast while I fill Rarity in?” She offers. Scratch’s belly rumbles at the thought of food, and she nods, turning and leaving through the door Twilight entered through.

The kitchen smells strongly of deliciousness. Scratch feels her mouth watering as she enters, tail flicking impatiently behind her. Chrysalis is standing by what Scratch vaguely recognises as a stove, wearing a pink apron. She turns, and smirks.
“Ah, our… xenoquine wishes to eat. Very well.” The tall mare gestures to a table off to the side. There’s three chairs there. Scratch nods, skittering over and sitting down, looking around the wooden kitchen.

There’s a window next to the table; she peers through it, looking out at the morning crowds milling about. She counts almost thirty ponies, trying not to think about how numbers and counting work. They’re all milling about, purchasing things at market stalls. The concept of “purchasing” and “market” are still vague unknowables to Scratch, but she tries not to think about it, turning as Chrysalis places a plate before her. Fried eggs.

Scratch leans down, sniffing them carefully. They smell of salt, and… and-

The xenoquine almost falls out of her chair as she sneezes, mucus and spittle spraying the window next to her. Chrysalis sighs lowly.

“... Your species is very drippy, I take it.” She murmurs, levitating a rag over and wiping the window clean.

Scratch looks down, not responding as she opens her mouth, teeth gnashing down on her eggs. She takes only a few moments to savour them before swallowing, her plate cleaned in a matter of seconds.

Chrysalis blinks, lifting Scratch’s plate.

“Hungry, I assume. Hm.” She laughs internally, turning and returning to the stove. Scratch offers a nod. She barely understands this… “hungry” as a word, but she knows the feeling. It is strong.

Scratch rips through another seven plates of eggs before she is sated. Carefully, she stands, an unfamiliar feeling of fullness making it hard to walk steadily. Chrysalis chuckles, shaking her head.

“I will work on cleaning up. Tell- ah… Nevermind.” She shakes her head, waving a hoof to dismiss Scratch. The mare nods, stepping out of the kitchen, back into the library proper.

There’s another mare here now. A yellow one, and… This one has wings. Peg… pega… pegasus? Scratch’s stolen memories drift to the forefront, telling her what she needs to know.

The mare is a yellow pegasus, with a pastel pink mane, cut short. She’s wearing a brown leather jacket, scratched and scuffed; as scratched and scuffed as the rest of her body, scars strewn all across her messy, slightly dirty fur. She’s sitting next to Rarity, the mares talking quickly.

“Ah, Scratch, hello! This is Fluttershy.” Twilight smiles as the xenoquine re-enters the room. Before Scratch can make any motion in response, the yellow one, Fluttershy, is on her hooves, quickly approaching.

“Oh wow! This is quite the beast!” She grins widely, poking Scratch’s chitinous crest, her chest, her belly-- Scratch groans a little, letting out a small burp in reply.

“She’s just had breakfast.” Twilight offers.

Fluttershy nods.
“Mmm… Never seen one like this, though. Not even deep in the Everfree. Parasitic, adaptive. Hrm.” She frowns.
“Seen how she fights yet?” The mare asks, grinning widely. Twilight shakes her head, frowning.
No. She’s just barely had her first meal ever, let her get adjusted before you go brawling.” Twilight replies, sighing in exasperation. Fluttershy huffs, turning and sitting down next to Rarity again.
“Fiiine. We’ll see about that eventually.” She murmurs. Rarity laughs.
“Oh calm down, dear.” The unicorn looks at Twilight, nodding firmly.

“About your offer, I would like to volunteer.” She says. Twilight raises an eyebrow.
“Before anyone else gets here? You’re not making this some… dramatic proclamation?” She asks. Rarity scoffs.
“Come now, this is a matter of great importance!” She replies. Twilight raises an eyebrow, questioningly.
“... Okay, and I think it would be simply wonderful to be the second host of such a species.” She huffs. Twilight sighs, looking down.
“... Fine, fine. I’ll take it. Honestly, another unicorn might be best for this, in case there are complications. I was testing the spell with pumpkins and rattlesnakes last night, but I need to be… completely sure.” She nods.

“You understand the risks?” Fluttershy asks, nudging Rarity.
“If what Twilight said is true, your ribs might end up on the opposite side of the room. Hardly fashionable.” She teases. Rarity rolls her eyes.
“Dear, we’ve both raided enough tombs and dodged enough deathtraps that I’m used to the fear of dying.” She says.
“Plus, as long as I’m dressed well for the occasion, I’ll be fine! Leave a pretty cadaver, and all!” She laughs, standing with an airy giggle. Twilight nods.
“... Very well. Fluttershy, wait here and brief everyone as they arrive. Rarity, Scratch, you two are coming with me.”

Scratch, who had been simply standing and letting the words wash over her until now, simply looks up in surprise. Does that mean… outside?

Twilight, sensing Scratch’s apprehension, approaches, and rests a hoof on Scratch’s chest.
“Don’t worry. I’ll be right there with you. You’ll be safe.” She says, smiling. Scratch hesitates, then nods. Something about Twilight’s smile makes her feel… safe.

Then the mare is gone, quickly rushing down into the lab beneath the library, leaving Scratch alone with the other two mares. They chat amongst themselves, updating each other on their day; they appear to be making plans for a date of some kind, but Scratch doesn’t know if they mean the concept of going out together, or the fruit. Words with different meanings but the same… words are still hard for her brain to comprehend.

With a faint sigh, Scratch steps toward the window, looking out…

Outside… So many… friends.

Comments ( 95 )

This is interesting, both in concept and in trying to piece together the history of this AU.

Twilight isn't ascended, and is living in Golden Oaks with Chryssalis. The Element bearers are still a group, but they seem older and their personalities are different, especially Fluttershy (Canon Flutters would never wear leather). Also the world in general seems more rugged and adventurous, what with the scars mentions of temple diving.

10973872

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm going for! :D

What's the slice of life tag?

10973916
Ahh, I figured that would fit the more mundane aspects of the story- Scratch learning to eat, cook, etc, as well as the more ground level interactions like making friends and such u vu

This seems pretty cool so far. Chrissy is a thing and a much less dark story then other xenomorph stories

10974071
Ahh, thank you! Don't worry, there'll be more explanations of how things work as the story goes on :)

the third chapter raises even more questions.
Is there a Spike in this universe?
Where is the Chrysalis swarm located? does she have a hive?
Where did Rarity's scars come from? (For some reason, the presence of Fluttershy's scars did not even bother me, given her more fighting appearance and the habit of walking in the ever-growing forest.)
how much is this universe different from the canon?

although on reflection I have a theory that answers the first two questions. According to her, the Twilight entrance exam had a Chrysalis egg instead of Spike's egg. Thus Chrysalis was raised and raised to become Twilight's assistant, taking Spike's place.
There is really one fact that does not give me confidence in this theory. This is the high rise of Chrysalis. If they were at least one height, then I would be sure that this theory is 100% correct.


P.S. sorry for my English.

interesting thus far, but i'm not too sure about the hints of shipping
also, sidenote, but i keep imagining my OC getting his own friendly Xenomorph

Every mane six gets a xenopony and they become the new elements. That's my guess.

All in all. Nice

I got 40 like on this story

Perfectly Insane
Moderator

A fic about a Xenomorph gaining self awareness in mlp? I'm interested. Curious to see if you'll be referencing any of the comics too.

10974147
Now there's an alternate universe setting I've never heard. I like it.

This is an interesting take on the Xenomorph in MLP route then I am used to. I quite enjoyed it so far.

Now there are a few things, this is very different from any Xeno story I've read before, and that's a great many. I suggest reading some of the comics and stories where they had a Xeno that acted differently then others.

Thing's are going to get awkward when Scratch starts building her own Hive

10974410
there is no confirmation yet and everything that I have composed can easily be refuted in the next chapter, and this story in its concept will be close to the blog "Fluffle Puff"

The premise is interesting, but its the worldbuilding that has given this story something truly interesting, and worth sticking around to get a better look at.

Keep it up freindo.

10974703
On one hand, it's a clever idea to show a new AU through the eyes of a new creature such as Scratch, who has the same experience as the reader of this new AU. On the other hand, it's maybe too much to handle, it may sink the character development. Of course, it's only my opinion, as long as it will not come to "Oh btw I'm this" or "Oh btw I did that" in the middle of the story I'm fine with it.

10973872
I just saw this and Jesus Christ an Alicorn Xenomorph? Thank god Twilight isn't an Alicorn because one that has magic is bad enough.

The story was good till this chapter. You made changes, some very big changes without explanation at this time minus AU tag.

You need more world building to justify the changes a simple slap of an AU tag is not enough. You hot to sell why they are different then canon.

Besides that Scratch is very interesting.

10974824
Or any creature that live in Equestria.

10975039
Dude, combine your observations into a single comment for a single chapter.

10975052
Hello, I'm glad you like my story! But if possible, could you please try and put your thoughts into one comment? You're spamming a little and it can be hard to read with all your thoughts so spaced out :'D

10975069

Figured that would be the best way to humanise her ;D
... horse-ize? Equanise? Whatever term works.

Comment posted by LilithGalac deleted Sep 13th, 2021

“How polite! My, where did you find her?” Rarity asks.

“Growing inside my ribcage.” Twilight replies, smiling weakly. Rarity nods sagely, not listening as she pulls a measuring tape from inside her scarf.
“Ah yes, just like my last g- excuse me, say again?” She stops, saving Scratch from being measured a second time.

I need to know how that sentence was supposed to end

Okay, you need, NEED, to do more world-building to set up this alternate universe you have going. Also please explain to me the logic of how Twilight got face hugged, survived, brought Scratch into the world, the first Xenomorph with a conscience, and now suddenly is all on board with making more of her?

Now, we pray this wasn't a clutch seeded for hunting. Predators know little of friendship.

10975192
Don't worry, things are just getting started :)
As for the logic of Twilight's decision, that's going to get a little more of a spotlight in future chapters. Suffice to say, she's just excited at the prospect of a new lifeform to study.

10975192
I think she teleported scratch out

10975192
Definitely needs more explaining like YTF Fluttershy is a brawler?

10975211

Don't worry, things are just getting started :)

Thing's are already going too fast, though.

10975456
How so? I actually thought I showed quite a bit of restraint in how much I exposited :D

10975481
The characters of this alternate universe are dramatically different than the characters we know from MLPFIM. We do not know how or why they are the way they are, and we haven't been sold that they're really the same ponies on the inside. For Fluttershy, you could have replaced her with an OC named Crud Bonemeal, and it wouldn't have made a difference to the direction of the story we've seen so far.

10975192
10975486
The whole point of the AU tag is to tell people that stuff be different, yo, and reassure them that there's actually a method to it instead of just people being out of character, without having to spend three times as much time on setup than the actual canon ever had on its own first season.
I know the author and I know she usually has whole novels' worth of worldbuilding, backstory and characterization for her AUs. But I also don't think you would have liked the story any more if it had started with a 50k introduction to the AU's political landscape, the local geography, the Mane Six' backstories, cutie marks, jobs, first meetings and relationships with each other not to mention the presumed can of worms that is the Changelings in this AU, all before even getting into the prologue and introducing or mentioning the story's protagonist.

10975508
No such introduction is needed. Simple things like "Twilight was glad for her Changeling assistant. Ever since [whatever caused it to happen; specifics aren't important, just some idea what happened], [impact she's had on Twilight's life]" and other short summaries sprinkled throughout the narrative that inform the audience into the hows and whys of this universe would go a very long way to ameliorating the confusion.

10975399
I mean she did wrestle a bear:pinkiecrazy:

10975511
In my defense, this story isn't from Twilight's point of view :D
So far, Scratch has been trying to figure out what words like "love" and "friendship" mean, she doesn't have the context needed to ask why Chrysalis is living with Twilight. Give it time, the story is still young :3

10975540
Exactly my thinking!

10975508
Couldn't be more accurate. I've put a lot of years worth of thinking into this and my other MLP AUs, and I find it best to sprinkle details a little more dynamically than a Star Wars text crawl at the start :pinkiecrazy:

10975486
You mean almost like how the G4 characters are so radically different from the previous G3, G2, and G1incarnations?

10975556
I just wanted to pop in and say that I am very intrigued. On the AU front I feel its fine no your sprinkling differences part of the fun is discovering why things are different. At least that's what I think, I mean what's the fun of feting an info dump when we can be intrigued.

10975633
Ahh, thank you so much for your thoughts, that means a lot! :D
I absolutely agree (although I may be slightly biased) that letting a reader think more critically instead of just narrating to them is far more fun, both as a writer and reader, so it's how I try to write.

Oh my. This universe is a bit more alternate than I was anticipating.

...

Heh heh heh heh heh! I like it! [/LoWangClassic]

The perfect organism is actually the Andromeda Strain, able to metabolize anything carbon-based with maximum efficiency, and a simple self-replicating organic crystalline structure composed of only 4 elements which is arranged in such a way to facilitate the use of most forms of radiation as an energy source. It can survive forever on a carbonaceous asteroid or comet in deep space.

A case can also be made for "The Thing", since it not only takes over its host, but gains access to all their knowledge, which it can store apparently genetically, as it appears even a single cell can convert an entire organism into itself and once reaching a certain size to construct a functioning brain has access to the sum of all the original's experiences, as evidence by Doc constructing a UFO with parts of various machines after merely being infected by a few droplets of goo. It's able to hide in plain sight, and so long as it's not caught in the process of converting another life form, it can spread silently, taking over every niche, adding to and improving itself with countless traits, until every life form is Thing, and Thing can perform every possible function and possess the entirety of existing knowledge on the planet.

In both these cases, humans lucked out. The Andromeda strain mutated into a non-infectious form all by itself and stopped insta-killing almost everyone it infected (and it's very narrow pH tolerance helped). The Thing fortunately crashed in the most remote and lifeless place on the planet, and froze in place for however many ages. Had it crashed anywhere else, anywhere else at all... Earth would have been 100% Thing in a matter of a few years, just as Doc calculated. The contrivance of it crashing in the center of the Antarctic continent HAD to happen (there is a partial-canon explanation that the lone alien uninfected or only just infected seized control of the ship at the last second and deliberately crashed there to try and avoid infesting the whole planet), otherwise the story would have been over before it began. Thing would have been completely unstoppable.

Xenomorphs are kinda imperfect and inefficient. They wipe out their food source, have no means to travel between planets on their own, depend on the host being stupid enough to look into the opening of a creep, weird giant egg, and are hardly subtle about their presence. They can also get killed by being shot in the head, a weakness shared by humans and every other higher life form. Thing and Andromeda have no such weaknesses. Andromeda has no body, and splattering Thing all over the place just spreads it faster. Xenomorphs look cool and are creepy and unearthly, and made a fantastic antagonist for the claustrophobic and dark moon LV-426 and Nostromo, but they're hardly perfect.

And then there's Saitama... absolute perfection!

pnglib.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/one-punch-man-saitama-ok_5f393652ea51e-907x680.png
:trollestia:

This is like a better and far more consistently updated version (insofar) of Something Unknown. Bravo! Someone else got the concept too!

10975774
Xenomorphs were made to be bioweapons. Their behavior is perfectly explainable in that context.

As for the Andromeda Strain, I wouldn't call it perfect. Highly adaptable, yes, but only when under enough of a specific radiation.

The Thing is the closest to the perfect survivor. Literally a cell, can imitate anything to adapt, and can freeze itself to go into suspended animation. Could even imitate a Xenomorph.

10976269
Assuming the cells from the Thing could withstand that acidic blood the xenos have flowing through their veins. And depending on just how much of them is organic.

10976287
It's true that Things can't imitate inorganic matter, but since it hasn't shown any limit to what organic matter it can assimilate, it can be assumed that it would be able to imitate a Xenomorph as all of its physiology can be explained in the organic sense. Though it would likely need to start with imitating an egg or embryo that got implanted in a Thing since those have the least amount of acidic blood to deal with. But once it's able to imitate the cellular structure that's able to withstand that acidic blood, then it would overtake Xenomorphs with ease. And since Xenomorphs have a fear of fire, they would be helpless before a Thing infection.

Yeah...breeding more Xenoponies just seems like a very bad idea given how little she knows about them and especially what she DOES know. MAYBE Scratch's results can be repeated, but it's also very possible she's a fluke. I would also think that safely removing a chestburster before critical growth, even with magic, would be hard enough on yourself, let alone doing it to someone else. And I especially wouldn't count on getting something friendly if a facehugger got loose and infected something other than a pony...

Also hope Twilight gave herself a good once over after getting Scratch out. According to the lore, chestbursters are basically a specific form of cancer, and in the event they're safely removed, what's left behind is still highly carcinogenic and tends to kill the host anyway...

10976298
Reading over your response, I can't help but wonder just what all the Thing absorbs from whatever host it assimilates. Could it assimilate a species that would leave it feeling remorse and regret for its actions? Could it, much like Scratch, find itself undergoing a crisis of identity?

10976300
I'm guessing since Twilight was quick to react and respond, the placenta didn't have time to take root in her organs.

Login or register to comment