• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 5,765 Views, 221 Comments

Leap of Faith: Generosity Vs. Laughter - Wolokai



Pinkie's starting to lose it, and a Generous Dress Mare may be her only hope of salvation!

  • ...
25
 221
 5,765

Chapter Five - The Death and The Life

"Yes...uh huh....uh huh. Well...oh? Yes I'm sorry again Miss Daisy but we simply can't- ...I see. I see...yes. Very well...we have a four o'clock open tommorow and a five o'clock the following day. Four o'clock, yes ma'am! Alright, thank you very much Miss Daisy! Buh-bye now."


*Click*


Nurse Redheart sighed as she hung up the phone, taking a pencil up in her mouth and quickly scribbling down 'Miss Daisy - 4 P.M.' in the small schedule book sitting on her desk. It was official...she was damn tired, laying her weary head on her poor, aching front hooves that gingerly rested on the hard wood of the desk she was confined to. On most days she could push herself through the fatigue, but for some reason the '2:30 feeling' was pounding at her hard today. She figured it may have been just the monotony of it all, doing the same thing all day: Answer phones, read fan-fiction, schedule appointments, check on patients in A-wing. She even entertained the idea of what she was doing as Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, expecting something different or some exciting new adventure to come rushing around the bleached walls of the clinic.

As always, nothing exciting happened. No adventures, and no glory for the poor mare Redheart. She frowned sadly, looking down at her hooves in boredom for a moment before moving her nose towards the mouse connected to the computer which sad idly in front of her, waiting eagerly for a command. She gently pushed the left button with her nose, clicking on the screen and watching as the computer brought her back to its previously opened page: A fan-fiction written by her favorite author. She smiled as she started reading down the page, her heart a flutter with excitement at the possibility of a new adventure written by the colt who she had the honor of meeting when he had checked into the clinic only weeks ago. She had to admit, she was a bit ashamed of herself since she was starting to fall behind a bit on reading the updates. Work just HAD to interfere with even her pleasures of life, refusing to let her have not one shred of sanity and peace.

"Oh Mr.Kurr..." she breathed, smiling a little as she started a new paragraph and licked her lips "You saucy devil you...always bringing the best emotions to light!" This was it, it had to be! The climax of the story was soon to come, the suspense building up and threatening to explode like an over-pressurized steam valve! She had tried her best to keep up to date with this particular story, as the author was doing his best to throw curve-balls and twists left and right, building up the greatest amount of suspense that he could ever hope to achieve! She had been led on long enough, it was time to finally discover the dark truth that he had so cleverly hidden in the dark shadows of despair! "Oh my...oh my!!!" The nurse shouted, covering her mouth with her front hooves as she neared the fatal sentence, the one that would finally reveal to her the information that the author had dangled above her head like a carrot in front of a donkey.

Just...one...more...senten-


*BAAAANG!!!!!!!*


Nurse Redheart yelped, flying up out of her seat in terror as the front doors to the clinic burst open and hit the walls with a thunderous crash. The poor nurse landed on her rump just next to her seat, her eyes wide and her breath coming out in panicked heaves. "Goodness!" She shrieked, putting a hoof to her chest "What in Celestia's name was th- OH GOOD HEAVENS!"



"Well HELLO Nurse Redheart!!!!" Shouted a very, VERY angry and psychotic looking Rarity. Her mane looked a bit ruffled, her cheeks gleaming with a violent red. Her very pupils were contracted to the size of mere pin needles and she had a very scary look in her eyes that displayed only one word: Insanity. She was leaning over the front counter, staring down at the nurse with the creepiest smile imaginable, striking fear directly into the poor mare's heart.

"R....R...!" Stuttered the terrified nurse, taking in Rarity's vicious look as a warning sign of danger and trying her best not to completely lose it and faint.

"Oh darling, there's no need for words! All I need is for you to point me in the direction of dear Doctor Health...can you do that for me dear?" Rarity whispered menacingly, her smile still stretched across her face. In her mind however, the situation could not be any more different. "Oh I do hope Nurse Redheart accepts my apology later..." Rarity thought, a pained stinging in her heart that throbbed along with the guilt she was feeling for having to take such drastic measures. "This act has to work...It MUST be this way, or else I'll never get answers fast enough, and I don't have that much time to lose if Pinkie Pie's acting like this! She could be in danger, or worse!"

The nurse whimpered, holding her front hooves close to her chest like a begging puppy and muttering "R...Rarity Doctor H...Health's schedule is full today! I can't...he's not..."

Rarity narrowed her wild eyes slightly, looking towards the computer and spotting the open page displayed on the screen. With her masterful skill of detail, she INSTANTLY picked up on the paragraphs of the story and identified them to one Wolokai Kurr...an author she knew as a favorite of hers and a few others. "Ah ha!" Rarity squealed in her mind "I've got you now! Sorry dear Redheart...but desperate times..."

The diva cackled with delight as she reached her hoof over towards the power button on the computer and shrieked "Ooooh, big shiny button! I wonder what it does!!!!"

"No! Don't!!! I've been waiting weeks for that update!" Screamed the poor Nurse Redheart, her front hooves flailing in front of her in panic.

"Tell me where the good Doctor is Redheart! You see this button here!? I'm going to press it if I don't get answers right, NOW!" Rarity replied in a harsh tone.

Redheart cried out in fright as Rarity's hoof lingered dangerously close to the power button, her own willpower shattering in an instant. She just could NOT stand to be denied the satisfying of her suspense now! "Ok, ok!!!" Redheart wailed, caving in and covering her eyes with her hooves. "A-Wing, last door on the left!!! Oh Rarity have mercy!!!!"

Rarity nodded, her maddening eyes flicking towards the hall as she said "Very well dear...mercy it is!" Redheart let out a gigantic breath of relief as Rarity galloped away, leaving her to give herself a tight hug and catch her breath.


The light's above whisked by at an alarming speed as Rarity galloped like a mad-mare towards the desired door. She prepared herself quickly for the events that were about to transpire, rationalizing it in her mind. Redheart was a pony she cared about...a pony who she had no problem showing mercy on with her act....Doctor Health however....was not.


Inside the office, Health sighed, levitating another few papers away from him onto a nice and neat stack next to his left hoof. "Order forms...prescriptions..." Health muttered, trying his best to sift through and manage all the paperwork so that he could make the four o'clock viewing of "Paws", a movie about an over-sized, monstrous bear stalking a popular park and preying on the innocent ponies within. "Just a few more papers...and I'll be fr- eh?" He started, hearing the handle of his locked door being jiggled rather...violently. His eyes widened as the handle continued to jiggle, a furious set of hoof pounding following it. "Um...who's there?" he muttered, a nervous tone clear in his voice.

"MAIL-MARE! I have brought thou a package!" shouted a velvety, yet angry sounding voice on the other side of the door.

Health raised an eyebrow and lit up his horn with magic, unlocking the door with a loud, audible 'click' and shouting "Alright then...door's unlocked, though I don't recall ever ordering someth- WHOA!".

Rarity's magic illuminated the door, swinging it in with thunderous force. She charged in, bellowing a sort of battle-cry as Health scrambled backwards out of his chair and backed up towards the wall, shrieking in terror. Rarity wasted no time in bounding over the desk, pushing her left shoulder against his chest and pinning him up against the wall as she pushed her hoof over his lips, silencing him.

"Special delivery!" Rarity roared, pressing her weight up against him "I've a package needing to be delivered to 'Doctor Health's ASS!', and the delivery system? My HOOF if I don't get answers!!! Spill it foal, what's going on with Pinkie Pie!!?"

She removed her hoof from his lips and allowed him to talk, growling as he said "Miss Geminavi please gain control over yourself!!! I simply cannot discuss that kind of thing with you! Doctor-patient confidentiality still presides!"

He yelped as Rarity pushed her weight against him and shouted "Am I going to have to upgrade the delivery system to first-class?! Because that means instead of hooves it'll be HORNS! Why don't I ship it via EXPRESS MAIL, guaranteed to arrive in three seconds!!!!"

"Miss Geminavi!!!!" Health shrieked, his pupil's contracting as Rarity gave him a look that drove fear right into his rapidly beating heart.

"ONE!" She shouted, her left eye twitching.

"Please, you simply cannot do th-" Health started, trying his best to get his point across. Obviously...it wasn't working.

"TWO!!!!" Rarity roared, her horn lighting up with blue magic.

Health squealed in fright, still trying his best to find the words to diffuse the situation "Miss Rarity maybe we could discuss this in better conditions! If you could just calm down maybe you can see that I just cannot disclose this information to you!"

Rarity though...wasn't buying it as she shouted "THREE!! Sorry Doctor Health, but you've got MAIL!" She moved herself away, grasping the Doctor with her hooves and pulling him forward. She threw him across his desk, exposing his flank to her. She cackled with glee as she tilted her head down, making sure Health could see as she squealed "SPECIAL DELIV-"

"OK!!! OK I'LL TALK!!! Please just don't...don't hurt me!!!" Health squealed, shutting his eyes tights as Rarity's horn dimmed to its normal state.

The doctor yelped as he was flipped on his back, Rarity quickly jumping up on top of him and sitting her flank down on his belly. She tilted her horn down towards his face as she shouted "TALK!"

She listened as the Doctor informed her of Pinkie's appointments...the agreement to keep everything hushed up...but worst of all...the disease. She gasped as the Doctor revealed to her the final diagnosis, explaining to her that there really wasn't much time left. She didn't bother to wait around for more, leaping off of the table and rushing out of Health's door.

She had to find Pinkie, immediately! There was no way that she was going to Pinkie face this alone...not when there was only a handful of precious time left! She'd be there for her...until the very end.



~~~




"Oh Gummy...what do I do?!" Pinkie sniffed, turning her face down to nuzzle the tiny alligator she held in her hooves. "I can't hide from Rarity forever! How am I supposed to disappear now that Rarity's on the hunt?!" She was laying on her belly in a small clearing just east of Fluttershy's cottage. It was one of the most private places that she knew of in Ponyville, and it was here that she had chosen to hide. She whimpered, her eyes brimming with a fresh set of tears, her mind a flurry with painful ideas and excuses she would try to use with Rarity.

Just as another idea started to form in her head, a voice made her freeze "Pinkie Pie?! Where are you!!!?" Pinkie looked over towards the west, squeaking as Rarity's voice called out to her.

"H...how did she?" Pinkie whispered aloud, her eyes widening in disbelief. She watched as the bushes on the far edge of the clearing rustled, the hum of magic audible even from that far of a distance.

Just as she was about to up and flee, the bushes parted on the west side of the clearing and Rarity stumbled through. Her mane was littered with leaves and her white coat had splotches of dirt mixed in with her fur. Her horn was aglow with blue magic, and a worried look was etched upon her face.

When the diva spotted Pinkie Pie, her face changed to one of relief, a light breath escaping her as she said "Oh Pinkie! There you are! Oh you had me so worried!"

"Go away!" Pinkie shouted, getting to her hooves quickly and placing Gummy on her back.

Just as she started to flee, however, Rarity shouted after her "Pinkie I know! Doctor Health spilled it all to me!"

The party pony stopped dead in her tracks, looking towards Rarity with a distraught expression, watching as she started to walk closer to her, muttering "Yes...that's right Pinkie...I know. Oh why couldn't you tell us dear!? Why did you hide?!"

Pinkie bowed her head in shame, muttering as Rarity approached "I...I didn't want to destroy the happy mood of Fluttershy's wedding...I didn't want to burden you all with this when it's really only me that should have to face this..."

As Rarity closed the final distance between them, the diva threw her front hooves around the mare and gave her a tight hug, whispering "Oh honey, no...you shouldn't have to hide. Fluttershy would have understood...we all would have, you know that!"

"I'm sorry!" Pinkie cried, hugging her dear friend back "I just didn't know what to do...I've been so lost over the past few weeks that I just...I just couldn't..."

At this, Rarity sighed and whispered "Pinkie dear...you should of had more faith in us! We would have stood by you if you had just told us! All it took was just a little leap of faith...don't you see that?"

Pinkie sniffed, whimpering as she held onto Rarity "Just...just like you're taking for me?"

Rarity nodded and patted her gently "Yes dear...you know that I care about you, you know that I only want you to be happy. I was willing to raid an entire clinic just to get answers as to why you were acting like this...because I knew that no matter what I had to do at least SOMETHING to help you!"

As Rarity finished, Pinkie spoke...confirming to Rarity that Health's words were true, and weren't just some story to be told to cover his own flank...literally.

"I know you've probably been wondering exactly what's been happening...and...well, It's a special kind of disease...it works only in a course of a month or so...and it's killing Gummy"


Rarity sighed, hugging Pinkie ever closer as she let out a sobbing wail and cried into her shoulder. As she stared at Gummy, she could only feel sympathy throb in her heart. He looked ill indeed, his eyes fading and his skin an unhealthy, light green. He looked tired...like he wanted to sleep, but Rarity knew better, knowing the disease had to be taking its final toll on the poor creature. "Pinkie...I'm so sorry" she whispered, patting her gently on the back as her sobs quieted.

"I know...it's ok..." the pink mare whispered "I just...I didn't want to bring the mood of the wedding down while I was grieving...it just wouldn't be right. Fluttershy deserves happy friends at her very special day...not sad o- OW!!!!"

Rarity jumped back as Pinkie cried out in pain, turning her head to watch gummy bite down onto her back. "What in the world?!" the white mare shouted, watching as Pinkie winced in pain "I thought you said Gummy had no teeth!! How is that hurting you!?"

"They've been growing I guess! I don't know!!!" Pinkie responded, yelping as Gummy bit down a bit harder "Ow!!! Gummy stop it, what's wrong!? Why are you doing this?!" She walked forward, wincing as Gummy bit even harder. She didn't want to shake Gummy off of her, not in this condition. Just as she walked to the right however, the pressure lessened, and Gummy released his hold on the mare.

Rarity, noticing this, was quick to respond "Pinkie...keep walking in the direction you're going!"

"But why!?" Pinkie shouted, straying to the left and wincing as Gummy bit at her again.

"Because I have a feeling..." Rarity started, narrowing her eyes "That Gummy wants to go somewhere" She quickly followed after Pinkie, wincing as she was being harshly driven by the weakening alligator. "What lies in this direction anyway?" Rarity asked, the two of them exiting the clearing and moving through the trees.

"Nothing except Froggy Bottom Bog! I don't know why in the world he'd want to go there though!" Shouted Pinkie, stepping over a few branches.

They continued on through the forest, with Pinkie's yelps echoing across the woods whenever she strayed away from the direction Gummy wanted to go. The rest of the journey only took around half an hour, the sun beginning to dip towards the evening time. Pinkie fell to her belly as they reached the muddy embankments of Froggy Bottom Bog, her back sore from all of Gummy's biting. "Ok...we're here..." Pinkie whimpered, turning her head and looking towards her alligator. "G...Gummy?" she whispered, noticing that his eyes were closed and his form was still. She quickly pulled him around in front of her, cradling him in her hooves. She put her nose to his belly and waited, breathing with relief as she felt his weak heartbeat gently thud against her nose. "He doesn't have much time left..." she whispered, tears filling her eyes as she got up and sat back on her haunches.

Rarity nodded, trotting over and laying her horn gently against his belly, whispering "I had best work fast then..."

"What are you doing?" Pinkie asked, a concerned look on her face as she held her fading Alligator in her hooves.

"The same magic I used to find you...my Gem Finding magic works on ponies too you know. It's how I can find Sweetie Belle whenever it's time for her bath, I just used it to find you." Rarity explained, her horn glowing with blue magic.

Pinkie nodded slightly, but pure confusion was still set in her face "But...why would you need to use it on Gummy...you already know where he is!"

Rarity nodded at this, standing back up "True...but the magic is a little more complex then just that. Say as an example...I'm looking for a specific type of ruby. Not only will I find the ruby I'm looking for...but I'll find others like it. I may already know where Gummy is...but the poor dear wanted to come here for a reason...and perhaps it is this magic that will tell us what it could be."

Pinkie nodded, watching as Rarity trotted off into the bog, her horn aglow with magic. The unicorn quickly moved through the bog, her horn glowing brighter as she neared her destination. She circled around, making a wide sweep and following the brightness of her horn. Just as she went to move around one of the dead trees nearby, a sort of...barking noise, yelped out at her. She stopped, turning her head to the right which in turn caused her horn to glow brighter...and illuminate another tiny alligator that looked a bit like Gummy. "Oh...hello there." Rarity whispered, tilting her head to look around the alligator as she noticed a blue aura of magic was starting to gleam around the base of the tree. "What do we have here...?" She slowly walked up to the small alligator, watching as it gave her a good sniffing and backed up. "Yes...you can smell Gummy on me can't you?" she whispered, watching as the alligator backed away and around the base of the large tree.

As she moved around the tree, her eyes widened. If Gummy was wanting to go somewhere...there was no doubt in Rarity's mind that this was it. A nest of at least twenty small eggs was resting in a small crook in the base of the tree, the other alligator being careful to step around them as it moved to the back of the nest, into the tree. "Oh Gummy..." Rarity smiled, her eyes brimming with tears "You truly are a wonderful alligator." Just as she started to peer closer at the eggs...her spell suddenly dissipated, the blue aura dissapearing in a quick flash. She lifted her head up slowly, a sad look forming on her face as she whispered "Oh no..."



She quickly made her back towards the spot where she left Pinkie, her suspicions coming true as she heard the sorrowful wails of Pinkie Pie. She approached the embankment, quietly standing away from the pink mare as she clutched Gummy tightly in her hold and let her tears flow unhindered. The fashion diva sighed, bowing her head and muttering a few words to Celestia...a prayer for Gummy...who to Rarity was a brave and wonderful alligator...to the very end.


"P...Pinkie" Rarity whispered, watching as the pink mare sniffed loudly and looked up at her "I'm so sorry about your loss...I don't know what I would if I were to lose Opal...but..." she tried her best to give a comforting smile as she whispered "I think...there's something you should see. But first...I think we should say a few words for Gummy..."

Pinkie nodded, sniffing loudly as a fresh set of tears started to fall from her eyes and onto the lifeless form of her best friend, the alligator she called Gummy.




~~~



"Rarity...what...what is this?" Pinkie whispered, staring in wonder down at the nest. It had been around an hour since Gummy had passed away, the two of them burying him on a tiny hill that rested near the bog. It was only now that Pinkie had been shown the nest, Rarity's smile and gentle hoof on her back giving her comfort.

"This..." Rarity whispered "Is Gummy's final gift to you Pinkie...the reassurance that happiness and life still remains even now when he is gone."

Pinkie sniffed, wiping a tear out of her eye as she watched the other tiny alligator move a few eggs carefully around in the nest. "I had always wondered..." Pinkie Pie began, looking over the nest carefully "Gummy would disappear for hours at at time some days...I got real worried about it. He'd always come back though, so I just stopped caring after awhile...guess I have my answer as to where his mystery location was..." Rarity smiled, giving Pinkie a pat on her back as she whispered towards the nest, her heart swelling with pride and joy. Gummy did not want his death to be a burden on Pinkie's poor heart...and wanted nothing more then to show Pinkie that life and happiness remained, even after death. It was this realization that had Pinkie smiling, whispering as she stared down at Gummy's future line



"It's...beautiful"







(Bit rushed, but the time table's crunching me face T_T. )
http://askwolokai.tumblr.com/ (Love you guys! Brace for the conclusion!!!!)