• Published 18th Aug 2021
  • 2,136 Views, 28 Comments

dead butterflies (One of Them Will Destroy the Other) - The Red Parade



Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.

  • ...
8
 28
 2,136

this is not a place for you

Rainbow Dash stared up at the sky.

It was a chilly morning, rife with the rogue winter winds that faithfully came with the seasons. The sky was pockmarked with clouds, dotting the sky like trees did the ground and casting long, grim shadows onto the earth.

Fluttershy had asked them to watch the butterfly migration.

Rainbow shivered, scuffing a hoof against the cold wood of the farmhouse’s front porch. She moved it up her foreleg, rubbing it in a desperate attempt to give herself some warmth. When it failed to work she spread both wings, as if they’d stop the wind completely.

But the breeze just went through them, as if they weren’t there at all.

She exhaled, her breath condensing in a small cloud in front of her muzzle before fading away as quickly as it had come. Rainbow shivered, looking up at the sky again. The sunlight wavered as clouds passed in front of it, obscuring and refracting its rays until there was nothing left.

Her teeth chattered as she drew a hasty breath. Every bone in her body begged to go back inside, where it was warm and safe. But Fluttershy had asked them to watch the butterfly migration.

So Rainbow ruffled her feathers and tried to get comfortable. Rainbow collapsed onto the porch swing, which quietly protested her weight. She watched as an orange and black butterfly landed on the porch railing. Its wings flicked back and forth before it eventually came to a stop.

Rainbow took the quilt draped across the swing and wrapped it around her body, hoping it would quiet the chills that were tearing through her. “Hey, AJ,” she called. “Mind bringing out some coffee? I think my wingtips are going to fall off.”

There wasn’t a reply from the farmhouse, so Rainbow huffed and hugged herself tightly.

Eventually the screen door creaked open and Rainbow’s ear flicked at the sound of hooves against the porch. Seconds later, she felt a weight settle onto the swing besides her.

Rainbow felt warm. It seemed to bleed into the porch and into her body, dripping from the still form next to her. The cushion beneath her felt like a puddle of heat, dripping down her legs and onto the porch itself.

“Hey,” Rainbow said, turning to face her.

“‎ , ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎,” Applejack responded.

Rainbow’s ear twitched. Something sounded off about what Applejack had said. “Hm?”

“ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎, ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ,‏‏‎” came the response.

It made Rainbow shudder. Applejack’s voice was rich and warm, but today it was cold. And much like the wind, it seemed to pass right through her.

Applejack leaned into her, and Rainbow shuddered violently. “ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎, ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎,” she said, eyes widening.

“I’m fine,” Rainbow replied, eyes darting to the floor.

A gust of wind blew past them. Rainbow watched as it scattered piles of dead leaves across the orchard path. Each tree shook in time with the wind, leaves and branches rustling in protest as the trunks swayed back and forth.

Fluttershy had asked them to watch the butterfly migration.

Another gust tore through the farm, but this time it brought forth a deafening noise. It was like rustling, but far louder and far more intense. Rainbow looked up at the horizon only to find that the entire sky had darkened.

The tiny, puffy clouds were gone now. In their place was a vast sheet of gray that stretched to cover the entire sky, smothering the sun.

Rainbow’s head began to spin as she stared up at it. Her stomach began to stir and she squeezed her eyes shut to fight back the vertigo. She felt an icy hoof on her shoulder as the noise grew louder.

There was a flash and a crack of thunder as Rainbow heard rain pound into the ground. The hoof on her shoulder began to burn through her skin and into the bone, its suffocating heat burning down her body.

“ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎, ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ? ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎.” The words were almost lost to the pounding on the rooftop above her.

“I’m fine,” she whispered. “I’m fine. I’m fine. I’m fine.”

There was another flash behind her closed eyes and a roar ripped across the sky. The icy hoof against her body had spread its wrath, to the point where Rainbow was sure her shoulder had melted off completely.

“Fluttershy wanted us to see the butterfly migration.”

Rainbow’s eyes tore open as another roar of thunder tore apart the sky.

And she realized that it was not rain falling from the sky, but butterflies.

Dead, lifeless butterflies.

Each one plummeted through the air before slamming into the ground, their wings sarcastically colorful and vibrant while their bodies stayed unmoving.

Rainbow felt sick. She jumped to the porch, hooves slamming into the wood as thousands of insects fell from the sky.

Her shoulder stung, like a piece of ice had been pressed against it. The butterfly on the porch wavered before its wings peeled away and fell like leaves to the ground.

Rainbow collided with the railing, not even wincing as the bar slammed against her chest. The butterfly simply wilted and fell like a stick off the porch. It curled up next to her hoof, legs flailing wildly in the air as if in agony.

It made her stomach roll.

Rainbow tore her gaze away from it and charged off the porch. She used her foreleg to shield her eyes against the downpour, trying not to think about the impact of every bug against her coat.

Her hooves slammed against the earth as she barreled down the lane, kicking up corpses of butterflies as she moved. The wind ripped through her body again, surging through the melted hole in her shoulder and filling her entire body.

She stumbled, nearly falling to the earth as she gasped in time with the thunder. When Rainbow looked up, there was a large hill in front of her. The knoll bore with it a single tree, roots sprawling out over the grass and into the earth. Its branches reached up like arms towards heaven, in a silent plea for salvation that forever went unanswered.

Beneath the tree, shaded from the wrath of a million dying butterflies, sat her.

She was perched on the grass with her eyes closed, swaying back and forth with the wind. Her forehooves burned small circles into the field where they rested. The smell of hay, apples, and burning grass filled the air.

Rainbow fell to the ground, feeling the grass singe her skin. The pain didn’t matter to her: all that mattered was getting to her, getting under that tree. Getting to safety.

The mare beneath the tree never opened her eyes. It was like she barely knew Rainbow was there. She hummed softly, mane completely still despite the fierce wind around them.

Rainbow stretched her hoof towards her.

Go.

When she spoke the skies opened to swallow them whole, and then there was nothing.


Rainbow squinted against the scorching sun overhead as a flock of birds flew beneath it.

Every ray soaked into the fabric of her black lace dress, bleeding into her very skin. She sighed, raising a hoof to shield her eyes from its malevolent gaze.

She turned to look at the hill, where the coffin still lay on top of the white-clothed table, basking in the light. Rainbow chewed her cheek as rays of sun bounced away from the surface of the coffin and into the apple trees.

Crowds of ponies drifted about the orchard, each dressed in black and whispering softly amongst themselves.

To Rainbow they were nothing more than soulless shapes, moving aimlessly across an empty landscape. Each was the same, with an immaculate dress or suit and tie, their faces blank and nothing shining in their eyes.

Rainbow ignored them as she paused at the base of the hill. Between two tables she spotted her target: a young pegasus with curly blue hair, shuffling around uncomfortably.

“Hey.”

Cozy Glow flinched as Rainbow approached.

“I want to talk to you.”

The tall, thin alicorn by her side stepped in front of Cozy defensively. “Flurry, it’s… it’s fine,” Cozy muttered.

“You sure?”

Cozy nuzzled them quickly. “Yeah, go. It’s fine, I’ll catch up to you later.”

Flurry Heart wavered but eventually relented, casting one last suspicious glance at Rainbow before trotting away.

“So, uh… what’s up?” asked Cozy nervously.

“I need to know.”

“Know… what?”

Rainbow snorted. “Don’t play games with me. I need to know.”

Cozy was quiet, scuffing a hoof into the dirt. Rainbow fought the urge to seize her and strangle the truth from her mouth.

“Twilight told us about it. You three form like… a trio or something. Flurry sees the start, Cadence sees the middle, and you…”

“I see the end,” Cozy hissed. “Yeah, so what? I didn’t ask to see how ponies’ love lives fall apart, you know.”

“I want to know how it happens for us.”

Cozy tilted her head, before her eyes trailed up the hill. “Oh. You… Golly, I don’t know if I can do that.”

“Why not?”

“Look, knowing these kinds of things… it never ends well, okay,” Cozy whispered. “That’s why I never really told anyone about the Trifecta. Fate is weird, and it doesn’t like when you screw with it.”

“I’m not going to,” Rainbow protested. “I just… I want to know.” She looked up at the coffin on the hill again. “I need to.”

Cozy inhaled deeply. “But you will! Everyone will. Just by knowing it, you… you screw yourself no matter what.”

Rainbow’s face darkened. “Cozy, I’m not asking you. I’m telling you. I need to know how we end.”

Something flashed through Cozy’s face, something Rainbow vaguely thought of as fear. But it passed and Cozy hissed, rubbing her forehead. “Fine. You want to know how you two end?”

There was a second of silence filled by the wind.

Cozy’s eyes burned red when she spoke again. “One of you will destroy the other.”

The breeze kicked up and roared around them. Rainbow blinked a few times, feeling the chill rush through her spine.

“Well? Are you happy now?”

It took a few seconds, but Rainbow barked out a laugh. “Hah! Now I know you’re full of it. As if we’d do that.”

“I told you, you wouldn’t like it,” Cozy sighed, hanging her head. “I told you.”

Rainbow flicked her tail and trotted off, head high. “And I think you’re crazy. You clearly don’t know us, at all if you think that’s going to happen!”

Even as she spoke she could feel the icy tendrils ripping through her body, slithering up her ribs and coiling around her heart.

She trotted up the hill, dead leaves skirting about her hooves as the wind continued to blow. In seconds she had climbed it and was standing side by side with the sleek black coffin.

Rainbow put a hoof on it, watching her own reflection waver on its surface.

One of you will destroy the other.

She laughed at the notion, even though the words stirred something within her. Rainbow turned her head slightly to look up at the tree, where the pony on the hill was resting.

One of you will destroy the other.

The mare on the hill swayed back and forth, as if in time with some unheard song. From her position by the coffin, Rainbow couldn’t tell if she was laughing or crying.

Something flew by Rainbow’s face before coming to a rest on the coffin’s lid.

Beneath her gaze, a beautiful monarch butterfly flicked its wings out several times, crawling up the smoothbore surface. Rainbow blinked, realizing that with every step the bug left specks of red blood in its wake.

Her ear flicked, and she turned around to see that all around her, the faceless crowd of black-clad ponies was slowly trotting up the hill towards her.

Rainbow turned back to the coffin.

The butterfly stared right back at her.


The dripping water almost drove her insane.

Rainbow stared down into the empty porcelain basin, the metal drain dancing in front of her vision seemingly miles below. The metal faucet protruded from the surface like a naked ugly horn, and from its tip fell drops of water in a relentless rhythm.

She took a deep breath and slowly raised her head.

The mirror in front of her was foggy and cracked, to the point where she could barely make out her own face amongst the fractured pieces.

Rainbow gripped the sides of the sink to steady herself as the room spun around her like a ship lost to the sea. She focused on the middle of the mirror, sucking in half-full hasty breaths with every second.

Her ear twitched as there was another drip, this time from behind her.

Rainbow turned around to face the drawn shower curtain. The gray piece of plastic obscured whatever stood behind it, but Rainbow could make out shadowy forms drifting about. If she squinted, she could almost make out the form of a sitting pony: swaying back and forth while humming.

“ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎, ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

Rainbow’s ear twitched as the low, almost-ethereal voice rumbled from behind the curtains.

She hissed quietly, fluttering her wings in irritation.

“ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‎‏‏‎”

“Where are you,” Rainbow whispered.

“ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

“Where are you?!” Rainbow slammed her hooves onto the floor. “Don’t leave me!”

“ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

Rainbow roared and lunged at the curtains. She seized the sheet in her hooves and ripped it away, only to reveal a bathtub filled with red liquid.

She shuddered violently as a cold chill filled the room.

The tub’s faucet continued to drip dirty, bloody water, creating ripples into the shallow tub.

There was a sound from behind her, like a voiceless broken rasp or air rushing from a kettle. Rainbow turned slowly and returned to the sink. A butterfly crawled out from beneath the faucet, spreading its orange and black wings and beating them several times to rid them of water.

A chilling voice whispered into her ear:

“Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.”


The ceiling seemed to crawl a little bit lower with every passing second. Rainbow stood stock still, hooves planted on the floorboards as she squinted up. In the darkness it was difficult to make out the exact position of it, but she swore that it was moving.

Eventually she tore her gaze away from it to look around the room. Cobwebs hung in the corners, draped and obscured by shadows. Sheets had been placed over most of the furniture, as if they were ghosts in young foals’ tales.

She turned her attention to the bed.

The sheets were tucked and perfectly squared away, attention and detail given to each corner. Not a single wrinkle marred its surface, although a thin layer of dust had settled over it.

Rainbow went over to the window, hooves clopping softly against the wooden floor. Bright light shone from behind the curtains, but when Rainbow pulled them open all she saw was a gray, overcast sky.

The orchard sprawled out in the distance, colored apples dotting each tree. Paths weaved in between them, corralled by fences and gates as they wandered throughout the gardens. Every now and then small crowds of leaves and dust would kick up, breezing by carelessly until they skipped to a halt.

Rainbow frowned.

As her eyes scanned the horizon she grew more and more anxious. Something felt wrong. Something that was outside of the farmhouse, looking back at her. And when she looked towards the hill she felt it.

The mare was there, sitting beneath the tree. She was impossibly far, but as soon as Rainbow saw her she heard the humming. It rattled the windows and pounded against her head. Rainbow tore her gaze away from her, realizing that there were suddenly dozens of ponies in the sky.

They weren’t flying, nor floating. Instead, they were simply standing, as if there was solid ground beneath their hooves. Each one was clad in black, and each one stared right at Rainbow despite not having a face.

Then a sharp bang from behind her made Rainbow jump.

She whirled around to see that a coffin now sat on the bed. There was a sharp banging from inside it, as if something was pounding on the lid, begging to be let out.

Rainbow’s heart pounded as blood roared in her ears. She stumbled backwards, slamming into the windowsill. When the bang was repeated again and again, she turned to see that butterflies were ramming into the glass relentlessly.

“ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ , ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏, ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

The voice was barely audible over the noise. Rainbow turned and sprinted from the room, gasping for breath as noise enveloped the entire bedroom.

But the floor seemed to stretch impossibly long. Fragmented voices and sharp cracks and bangs echoed around her, and against her better judgement Rainbow looked back.

A faceless pony in an immaculate black suit was pressed against the outside glass, boring right into it with a nonexistent gaze.

She had to find the mare beneath the tree. She had to.

Rainbow reached for the doorknob.

Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.

The glass shattered.


Rainbow stood at the edge of the staircase. Darkness swirled all around below it, enveloping all and swallowing everything in its wake. Rainbow could barely make out the steps below her, and even those faded out before long.

A plaster wall sat on the right and a wooden bannister on the left, confining Rainbow to a single path. With a shudder she began to descend step by step, trying to fight back the bile and fear in her body.

With nothing else to do, Rainbow looked at the photographs lining the walls.

The first one she saw was a familiar one. It was her and Applejack, sitting on a porch bench with muzzles touching. The sun broke out behind them, highlighting everything in a warm orange glow.

It was almost enough to make Rainbow forget her fear and smile.

The next framed picture was nearly the same: it took Rainbow several seconds to realize what had changed. The two were still facing each other, but tiny specks of red dotted their faces. Rainbow looked closer and found that the red was not a mark on the glass or photograph itself: it was on the actual picture.

In the next picture the red dots had spread to most of their faces. Their expressions had also seemed to change, and the photographed Rainbow appeared to be crying. Applejack, however, retained her smile.

In the fourth picture, faceless ponies in suits and dresses appeared behind them, as the pictured Rainbow continued to cry and Applejack only laughed.

“Fucking…” Rainbow snarled, yanking the picture off of the wall and tossing it over the railing.

She never heard it hit the ground.

“Stupid Cozy, stupid fate! It’s nothing but a load of shit,” Rainbow huffed, trying to steady her heart. She stumbled and flared out her wings to steady herself. “Calm down,” she whispered. “Just… just find her.”

“‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

Rainbow flinched as a voice sounded from somewhere within, but she quickly perked up when she recognized it. “AJ?”

She picked up her pace, keeping her ears wide open.

From behind the wall she heard the clanking and groaning of pipes, and further back she could hear rain hitting the roof and windows of the house mixed with the roaring wind.

“AJ!”

" ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ . ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

As Rainbow charged down the stairs, she glanced at the wall again. The bare surface was now completely covered in photographs of her. The angel on the hill: eyes closed and smiling. And Rainbow was angry at her perfection, but she couldn’t stop. Not when she was so close.

But the vision refused to leave her alone: as she continued to descend. Words appeared on the photographs, the same ones that had been plaguing her forever.

Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.

Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.

Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.

Rainbow ignored them, even as they leapt from the frames to pound into her skull. Even as the photos blotted and marred and became stained with blood, even when they ceased being photographs and became dead butterflies, crammed and smushed against the glass.

She couldn’t stop.

She wouldn't stop.

Not when Applejack was so close.

“ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ .”

Finally, Rainbow’s hooves met the floor. She whirled about, anxiously searching for any sign of her beloved.

“Rainbow.”

And when she looked to her left, there she was. Applejack was sitting on all fours, radiant and beautiful, with a brilliant aura of light surrounding her.

She sat still and tall, like a beacon in the darkness. Above her flew a cloud of butterflies, idly flying in circles with one orange and one black perched atop her hat.

Rainbow grinned as tears of relief filled her eyes. “AJ. Thank Celestia. We’re gonna be okay. We’re gonna be okay.” She stepped into the darkness, crossing the room towards her. Rainbow felt the floorboards groan and shift beneath her hooves. The wind roared outside as rain kept pounding on the walls and roof, but Rainbow didn’t care.

All that mattered was Applejack. All that mattered was reaching her, and then they’d be okay. Forever.

Applejack glowed brighter with every step that Rainbow took. The butterflies scattered as Rainbow drew close, with only the one on her hat remaining. It flared its wings out, as if to ward Rainbow back, but she didn’t care.

She reached out a hoof and touched her on the shoulder.

Applejack’s eyes shot open and she gasped.

“Hm?”

She blinked several times as a flash of lightning illuminated the room. “I… mighty sorry, I just… I thought I felt somethin’.” Applejack cleared her throat as she shakily reached for her teacup.

Strawberry Sunrise smiled from across her. “Oh, it’s no problem.”

“Y’all must think I’m crazy,” Applejack said as she sipped from her teacup. “My family sure does.”

“Not at all,” Strawberry replied. “I’ve seen far stranger things in my life.”

“And what a life it’s been for the both of us,” Applejack replied, rubbing her eyes. “Rainbow was my world. All those ponies that think I need to ‘let go…’ they don’t get it. I love her, but she’s destroyin’ me.”

The two ponies fell quiet as another bout of thunder rang from outside.

“What don’t they get?” asked Strawberry.

“It’s Rainbow,” Applejack whispered. “She… she’s still here. I know it.” She worked her jaw, looking up to meet her neighbor’s eyes. “It… It started shortly after she passed. The porch swing started movin’ of its own accord, then leaves started kickin’ up when there was no wind. I thought it was nothin’ at first, hell I barely noticed it. But then…”

Her voice was almost lost as the wind picked up in volume.

“But then I was in the shower once, and… and somethin’ mighty violent ripped the curtains open. And… I looked in the mirror and I swore I saw her, standin’ over the tub. Lungin’ at me. But course there was nothin’ there.”

Tree branches rapped against the window as rain pounded into the glass. The candles flickered, temporarily tossing the room into darkness.

Applejack’s voice wavered in the face of the storm, but she continued. “...for the longest time I couldn’t go into our room. The sheets were still perfectly square in the way the Wonderbolts taught her. But at night I’d hear her walkin’ around. Like she was lookin’ for me. In the orchard, I’d… I’d look up at the window and I’d see her starin’ back at me.”

Tears trailed down her cheeks as Applejack became too weak to fight them back.

“She… she’d rip photos from the walls and toss them across the room, Strawberry. She’d kick and scream and break down the walls. She doesn’t want to go. I know Rainbow. She don’t wanna leave.”

The candles blew out and plunged the room into darkness.

Applejack gasped, inhaling sharply as she felt something cold against her shoulder. But Strawberry lit the candles again and it was gone.

“Everyone thinks I’m crazy,” Applejack whispered, wiping the tears away. “That I’m just a senile old mare. But Rainbow won’t let go, Strawberry. She doesn’t want to go.”

Strawberry nodded in understanding. “I don’t think you’re crazy for what it’s worth. Maybe it sounds dumb, but… try talking to her? She loved you, and still does. I wonder if that’s why she won’t go.”

“I… I guess it’s worth a try.” Applejack set her teacup down and sat up straight. “Rainbow.” Her voice cracked, and she had to try again. “Rainbow Dash. I dunno if you can hear me, but… I love you. But you need to go. Your… your time’s up. You can’t keep hangin’ around here. It ain’t healthy, it ain’t right. For either of us.”

Her voice wavered, but she remained strong.

“Rainbow if you hear this, please. Let go.”

There was a crash from somewhere within the house as the candles blew out again.

Outside, a monarch butterfly crawled along the porch’s railings. It flapped its delicate wings before taking off into the storm. Seconds later, it disappeared completely amongst the rain and wind.


Applejack sighed, rapping her hooves against the counter.

The air was bright and clear outside: the textbook definition of a picture perfect morning. The sun was creeping up over the orchard, its rays wandering through the trees until they sailed through the window and basked the house in their radiant glow.

The outside was still cold, but the weather would soon change. And hopefully, Applejack would change with it.

She turned away from the stove to prance nervously in place. “Hoo-boy, calm down. You got this, AJ. You got this.”

“Hey, AJ,” called a voice from outside. “Mind bringing out some coffee? I think my wingtips are going to fall off.”

Applejack took a deep breath to steady herself. She turned to place two steaming mugs on a wooden tray, then gently placed a velvet box alongside them. With a giddy shudder, she seized the tray in her mouth and made her way onto the porch.

The air was chilly, but Applejack’s pumping heart provided enough heat to keep herself warm. She carefully set the tray on the table then turned to face Rainbow.

Rainbow was seated on the porch swing, tail swishing in boredom as she stared up at the sky. “Hey,” Rainbow said, turning to face her.

“Mornin’, sugarcube,” Applejack replied.

Rainbow twitched. “Hm?”

“I didn’t say anythin’, silly.”

Applejack leaned into her and heard Rainbow gasp. “Sugarcube, you’re cold to the touch!”

“I’m fine.”

Applejack frowned, feeling her marefriend pulse with heat. “Are you alright, Rainbow? You’re burnin’ up.”

“I’m fine,” she repeated. “I should just be sleeping, you know?”

“But Fluttershy wanted us to watch the butterfly migration, so here we are,” Applejack said, hoping her voice didn’t sound as shaky as she thought it did.

“Yeah, and she says it’s beautiful,” Rainbow scoffed. “Still don’t think it’s worth waking up this early for.”

“Mm.” Applejack reached out and put a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder.

The pegasus flinched. “Geez! You’re saying I’m cold? You just froze my shoulder off!”

Applejack retracted her hoof and rubbed the back of her neck. She sucked in a deep breath of the crisp morning air, a million thoughts racing through her mind.

“You okay?”

She hurriedly opened her eyes to see Rainbow staring at her in concern. “Yeah,” Applejack blurted. “Just… let’s just enjoy the moment.”

Rainbow relented, allowing Applejack to look her over.

She was beautiful.

Her prismatic mane practically glistened in the light, and her irises complimented them perfectly. The rainbow fell upon her cyan shoulders like a waterfall, and Applejack was once again smitten by her beauty.

And she was falling in love all over again, and she never ever wanted it to end.

She never wanted Rainbow to leave her.

Soon the butterflies came, and the sky was drowned out in a vibrant sea of color. Despite her demeanor Rainbow’s eyes lit up at the sight. “Woah! Okay, I’ll give it to her. That’s really, really cool!”

Applejack only smiled, then reached for the box.

She wanted to be with Rainbow forever, even if it’d destroy her.

But that was a silly notion, wasn’t it?

How could the one she loved destroy her?

Applejack opened the box and took a breath to ask the question that would change their lives.

Unseen by her, a monarch butterfly descended from the crowd high above, perching on a nearby tree branch and staring at the porch with unusual interest.

Comments ( 28 )

This feels like a whirlwind of moments, each one fading smoothly from one to the next. It's the end of a relationship, and the start of a relationship, and the little glimpses of the middle... all of it with haunting imagery woven between repeated phrases that only make sense towards the end. It was well worth the read, from start to finish, and it's one that I immediately had to scroll back up to read again! You've done it again, Red!

SJFDHDGAELDHGKFSDFHSGHDFGSHDFABFGSHDGFAS

10942024
I know, right? It was just that good! My favorite part was right at the beginning, when it was raining dead butterflies. It set the scene for the rest of the fic, and I just couldn't get that image out of my head. Couldn't stop trying to imagine what it would sound like...

Why isn't there a Cozy Glow tag?

Idk what the hell happened, but damn that was good. is it ghosts? I think it's ghosts. Reminds me of I see dead people. The boy didn't realize he was dead, so this was just... Holy crap this was good. I didn't understand what was happening but it was super, super, SUPER good. I loved it and am forever a fan thanks to this.

One of them will destroy The Other? Didn't Ronan already kill him? :pinkiehappy:

Man, I love fractured horror stories like this, with separate memories flowing into eachother, possibly non-chronologically. Loved the imagery too, very nice.

Probably the best thing I've read all year, and there's some some pretty stiff competition for that title.

Please, please wait for me
Please hang around
I’ll see you when I fall asleep...

Absolutely insane, everything about this fic is just hooking, the moment you start reading you can't stop. For as much distress I felt I simply couldn't stop reading either.

I'm curious, what's the source for the cover image? Did you make it? It's very pretty!

Each really intense scene bled into the next until the last stretch where things calmed down and made sense. Loved it.

10942390
90% chance it's an AI generated image.

Woah. So beautiful, mysterious, terrifying, hypnotic, surrealistic and moving . . . and the Yves Tanguy-like image (only with more color than he'd have used) certainly adds to the mystique.

You have a genuine gift. I could never create something so beautiful.

Ahhh, I see it now.
Very cleverly done. I was waiting for all the disjointed, confusing, and unconnected parts to start weaving together and at that one snap moment that it does, I was extremely pleased with how you've arranged this.

Very, very cleverly done. :twilightsmile:

Well, that was a trip and a half. The imagery was absolutely haunting - in a good way, I mean - and the twist at the end was really something. I also felt like there were a few references to other works in there, but that could just be me.

Excellent work as always, Red.

Wow, this is beautiful. At first I kind of missed the point, but then it just clicked. Wonderful, magnificent— where's the thesaurus? I need more synonyms.

As usual, your abstract prose is fantastic. The visuals are wonderful and haunting. Cozy being able to see the end of relationships is interesting. I wonder why you chose Cozy for this.

Howdy, hi!

Okay, so this story is basically high art but enjoyable. The vivid imagery and set pieces that you've described in this story are so absolutely stunning and I spend an entire day afterward just playing it on loop in my head. The opening shot with the dead butterflies is just so monumentally powerful that I fail to find words to truly describe it.

The build-up, the mystery, and the payoff of the ghosts was so well executed and I can't help but be completely enthralled with the execution of everything.

Just, ugh, thank you so much for writing such an amazing story.

Wow. I'm a sucker for this kind of surreal narrative with beautiful prose, so this was an easy sell to me. Everything ties up beautifully in the end. Top tear horror all around.

This really captures the emotions of a breakup. Though the details are fantastical, it uses those elements to get to the heart of it. Yeah, maybe Dash is actually dead, but I like that there's some ambiguity there.

Ambiguity in fiction, when used correctly, forces the audience to look past the literal events and try to unearth the themes of a story. Some of the plot details aren't clear, but everything coheres when looked at through a less literal lens.

This story confronted me with uncomfortable truths and dark memories in a productive way. It's a rare thing to do that right, and I'm always happy to see fiction that nails it.

I love everything about this story. Easy favorite from me. Thanks for writing it!

I...wow.

Red, you never fail to impress me with your writing. Everytime I go in I expect some level of quality, but you always exceed every single one of my expectations.

Scene to scene was an absolute joy to read, flitting from thought to thought with absolute clarity. Many different moments really make this just a really beautiful story to read.

And of course, my favorite has to be the cover art. Really sets the scene and what's about to happen, and brings across some pre-reading vibes as well.

Thanks for writing, it was an absolute pleasure to read this.

When she spoke the skies opened to swallow them whole, and then there was nothing.

absolute poetry here, Red. the absurdity of injuries coming from hoof touches and soft grass, the unsettling blanks of Applejack's words, dead butterflies falling from the sky, all coming together to create this very unsettling nightmarescape.

Every ray soaked into the fabric of her black lace dress, bleeding into her very skin. She sighed, raising a hoof to shield her eyes from its malevolent gaze.

loved the descwork in this passage.

One of you will destroy the other.

and a beautiful title drop. writing Cozy Glow as a companion of Flurry Heart is something i am very for, but placing both and Cadance into the context of being Fates was a very nice touch, with Cozy not being satisfied with the nature of her röle especially. the awkward social situation of demanding this conversation at a funeral (whose? does it matter? maybe it will!) really adds to the ominousness of all this.

“Fluttershy wants us to see the butterfly migration.”

not much to say here besides continuing to love the imagery.

Each one was clad in black, and each one stared right at Rainbow despite not having a face.

very unsettling

Strawberry Sunrise smiled from across her. “Oh, it’s no problem.”

oof, i felt this shift, very well done to make it understated

Outside, a monarch butterfly crawled along the porch’s railings. It flapped its delicate wings before taking off into the storm. Seconds later, it disappeared completely amongst the rain and wind.

really powerful section here. nice touch with your choice of background pony on top of this.

How could the one she loved destroy her?

i loved how you brought it back around to the blanks in Applejack's dialogue in the first section. all the components of that most important of days mixing and mulling around each other to create the nightmares that ghost-Rainbow Dash experiences, which contextualized feels more like a depiction of a mind suffering from dementia. and what is someone in that most awful of stages but a living ghost, tortured by their own jumbled memories and a world they can't make sense of anymore? an absolutely beautiful piece, Red, something as much experienced as read. really wish i could write anything half as good as this!

Wow, this is amazing!

Not quite sure I understand it completely, but I certainly love it all the same! Wonderful work you've created here!

An extremely belated favourite for a fic I reviewed in July and was impressed by. Very nicely written, if a little abstract for me on occasion.

Login or register to comment