• Published 9th Sep 2012
  • 7,069 Views, 2,699 Comments

Pony POV Series Season Six: Dark World/Shining Armor - Alex Warlorn



Twilight tries to remember herself after 1K years of chaos/Shining Armor awakes on his promotion day

  • ...
34
 2,699
 7,069

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 75: (Shining Armor) gniteeM tsriF

Pony POV Series Shining Armor Part 2
gniteeM tsriF-First Meeting
By LZ0291 (with Revisions by Alex Walorn, Kendell2, and producers of the Pony POV Audio Adaption)

I'd waved goodbye to my sister, thinking that I wouldn't see her again for at least two years so I had to make sure I waved her off to her much shorter assignment. Thunderchild had been waiting down there to inform me that the two member crew on the chariot had already been asked to keep a watchful eye on Twilight, and that they were both trustworthy, if a little headstrong and prone to obeying daft orders.

Such as "Seize her!" when "her" is a spite-maddened moon goddess threatening eternal night. In their defense, I was not there in person, so they had to obey the Mayor of Ponyville, who evidently has no experience in military tactics. If she had, she'd know the correct order in that situation is very simple:

"Fall back and regroup!"

She (or he) who fights and runs away lives to fight another day, and more importantly, so do the ponies under her or his command. We're not Zebrafrican warlords, an equine wave attack is not the first and only option. OW!

(Interviewer's Notes (Pegasus): Don't you talk that way about Zecora's people.)

I specifically said Zebrafrican Warlords not zebras, get it right! I'm good friends with zebras in my company!

Anyway, Twilight was in good hooves, and I had a ceremony to attend. The time rolled around, half an hour to noon, and in the parade grounds I stood in rank along with my other officers. There were ten of us in all. A major, two captains including myself, three new lieutenants, and then five nervous looking cadets being made up into proper officers.

The parade grounds held four stands. On three, benches for the soldiers today, or for the audience at Trooping the Color. On one, the VIP stands, including the Royal Box. Lying before the VIP stands, a podium. A tunnel behind it would be where Princess Celestia would emerge from: The royal box was presently occupied not by the white Sun Alicorn, but by Princess Cadence. Oh, and various other nobles but sod them all, Cadence is best pony.

Er, I mean... Before each of us, sat a neat pile of armor. Mine shone a bright purple, something I was thankful applied only to ceremonial armor. If we ever went into a real war (Celestia, Luna AND Cadence forbid!) I would instead wear dark green colored armor, bearing my rank insignia and the M7 emblem that I was entitled to wear as a level seven magic user.

It's fortunate Twilight isn't a guard, by the way. There's no such thing as an M11 level, it normally stops at ten. Okay, that's exaggeration, but not by much! I DID NOT MAKE THAT ENTIRE SYSTEM UP!

(Interviewer's Notes (Pegasus): Yeah, okay, just let me put away my twenty-sided dice then.)

(Interviewer's Notes (Unicorn): It does seem rather strange for a unicorn who is the 'only one' able to cast a capital city wide forcefield and maintain it for an extended period is not at the maximum of the mundane system.)

I don't do the rankings, and I don't assess them either! It assesses overall magic ability, not that you can perform one spell with great strength. Hay, they used to dock points if the spell was a special talent! Anyway, also with the armor, a belt and scabbard. to hold a blade. In this case, each of us had our personal ceremonial swords alongside our armor. We had to put them on too.

As I later found out, Cadence had a taste for purple when she was asked what color to make her Guard's armor.

It was nearing ten to noon. We were expected to don our armor in five minutes at the shout given by a senior NCO, and salute Princess Celestia with our arms at noon when she emerged.

(Interviewer's Notes (Pegasus): Your ARMS?)

...Our weapons. None of us were minotaurs. In fact we were mostly pegasi and earth ponies. In the interests of inter-racial (and on occasion, species) unity, the ceremony called for us to not use our horns or our wings. We would put our armor on with snouts and hooves, and grasp our swords by the hilt with our mouths to hold them upwards to the sun.

Major Sharpe was the only other unicorn present. He seemed to be using his experience to busy himself giving encouragement to the nervous cadets, and the rest of us were all focused on ourselves for the moment.

A staff sergeant called Bourne trotted out, examined the clock as the hands swung from fifty-four slowly to fifty-five.

"Officers.... On my mark, one steeeeeeep....."

We tensed and readied to move.

"..... Forward!"

Forty hooves clattered off the parade ground surface as we obeyed.

"Officers.... On my mark, don.... armor!"

And so it began. It was a fiddly task not to use my horn even instinctively, but I had practiced this. If anything it was easier for the earth pony candidates, as this was the only way they could don armor themselves.

But this was about as close to balanced it could get. Unicorn horns would make it too easy, and for the pegasi, you'd be surprised at any number of tricks they might be able to pull off with their wings.

Still, I wish they'd try and make the buckles at least taste a bit nicer. No wonder we would hold a toast from our canteens right after, to wash the damn metallic taste from our tongues!

We all made it in plenty of time, even one cadet that had began to panic. Major Sharpe, as well as Lieute... Captain Coke, had stepped in and whispered calming advice. The cadets nearest me had apparently been a little more relaxed, or I was too busy distracted by my own attempts to put the armor on to notice if they were having issues.

Noon neared.

"Officers, draw... swords!"

Ten blades slid from scabbards. The clock hand swung towards the hour, and Princess Celestia began to walk towards the podium. She reached it just before the clocks began to chime, and just as Bourne shouted the order.

"Officers, salute!"

We raised up rampant on our hind legs, holding the blades there for the whole minute. The chimes drew to a close, and instead of a shout to cease, we instead were given a softly spoken order, yet one we heard as clear as day no matter how far we stood from Her Highness as she spoke.

"At ease, my officers. Please put your blades away, and join me in a toast to your promotions."

We did so, each of us taking a drink from the canteens, and the observing soldiers and officers stamped out their applause and cheers. It was only water, but when it comes from an enchanted canteen that keeps it cool in that kind of sunlight, it was far sweeter than wine.

Besides, I'm fairly sure Princess Celestia was drinking water herself.

Five officers had risen in rank and Equestria had five new officers. But it wasn't over yet. First, the cadets, now Second Lieutenants, were all asked forward and given their orders by Her Highness. It was nothing more than a short speech, a bow, and then the officer left to join their regiment. For the promoted cadets it went like this:

"Your orders this day are as follows. You are to enter the service and Supreme Command of Her Highness, Princess Celestia Amaterasu Solaris Equestria as part of her..."

And then she'd list the regiment, for instance the Royal Caledonia Horse Guards. She would then place her horn on the promoted cadet's head and infuse them with a fraction of her essence, normally turning their fur white and their eyes blue (the rule book had a rather sizeable warning about that part). . . . I don't think it affects our thinking.

After each new officer was sent off to their unit, came the full lieutenants and new captains, who generally got promoted up within their own unit. I was to be last of the two captains. And I was an exception today.

"Captain Shining Armor Sparkle. Come forth."

I bowed before Princess Celestia for the second time in the span of three hours.

"Captain, your orders this day are as follows. You are to detach yourself from the service and Supreme Command of Her Highness, Princess Celestia Amaterasu Solaris Equestria, and attach yourself to the service and the Supreme Command of Her Highness, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza Equestria, should she so accept this detachment I offer," She said, and the silence that followed as interrupted only by a squeaking noise from the VIP stand.

A quick glance at the wide-eyed occupant of the Royal Box confirmed what I had been thinking: This was the part where Cadence had been 'formally informed' I was being attached to her command.

"Princess Cadenza, does the offered detachment meet your satisfaction?"

All eyes, except mine, looked at Cadence. I was personally trying to have a staring contest with a spot on the wall just to the left of Princess Celestia.

"I... er... I... What?! Aunt Celly, I mean Your Highness, you never told me it was.... You never told me this was when you'd be giving me a guard commander! I thought you'd be doing it later today!"

"Oh... My apologies, I thought I had told you..."

I could have sworn at the time I heard someone singing 'Trolololol-o-lol-OW!' cut short somewhere in the stands. Cadence seemed to be gritting her teeth a little, as if trying not to facehoof, but there was a protocol to follow.

"...The detachment is adequate, Your Highness. I accept it under the banner of my command."

Celestia nodded.

"Excellent. Please attend your new command, Captain Sparkle."

"Yes, Your Highness."

I bowed, and trotted into the tunnel behind Princess Celestia. Up the stairs, past two stone-faced but amused guards, and then to beside my new Supreme Commander just as Major Sharpe walked forward.

"...I can't believe she did that." Cadence was still muttering as I entered.

Now, I'd known Cadence ever since she'd been Twilight's foalsitter. We'd both been teenagers, and close enough to each other in age to be friends instead of just 'Twilight's brother/the foalsitter; to each other. I'd known then she was pretty, I wasn't a complete fool. But after she stopped foalsitting Twilight, contact between us was fleeting. She had her duties and I was training to be an officer of the guard.

I saw her around, but it was usually from a distance or in passing. Not a chance to meet her properly. So really, going up there and seeing her face to face properly for the first time in ages.... It felt like meeting her for the first time. And it meant that I noticed how beautiful she had truly become.

But still. Give a quick salute, take my helmet off and then hold it in the crook of my leg -you get used to awkward balancing very fast as a Royal Guard- and then speak up.

"Captain Shining Armor, reporting for duty, Your Highness."

I found myself unsure of what to say after that, but luckily for me she was supposed to speak first. And she seemed a bit tongue tied.

"...Er, Hi.. Um... hello, Captain..."

Her embarrassment at how Princess Celestia had arranged the meeting was ether throwing her off, or I was more handsome than I gave myself credit. But if anything at the time her flustered actions made me lament the fact that it would be an impossible goal for myself to ever be with her romantically, for love between a Royal Guard and a Princess is forbidden... Yet it steeled my resolve to fight to overcome this unjust law!

Just kidding, there's no law like that at all. There's not a single rule prohibiting relationships between Guards and Guards, Guards and VIPs, Guards and Royals, or Guards and Civilians. There is a warning for guard trainees to be cautious with members of flight teams other than the Wonderbolts though, as they keep trying to poach our best flyers.

"...Shining, what am I supposed to do here?!"

"Whatever you like, he's the only member of an entirely new branch of the Royal Guard. You can write the protocol book yourself if you want," Prince Blueblood suddenly spoke up. His mane still had a very slight tent, that was all.

That stallion is a bit of an oaf at times, but occasionally, very occasionally, he can be tremendously helpful. In addition to this moment of putting Cadence at ease, I'm pretty sure he's got a blood type that would be useful to somepony in need of an emergency transplant. Now if we can just get him to carry a donor card...

(I was surprised when Princess Celestia caught wind of this joke and later told her Guards, "My nephew is a foalish fool, not walking spare body parts.")

"Oh. Well, er... at ease, Captain. Please stand beside me for the remainder of the ceremony."

That didn't take long. Major Sharpe was accepting his new position of command within the regiment, leading Third Troop, Second Squadron.

"I'm so sorry about her doing that to you, Shining!" Cadence whispered to me.

"Princess, I'm sorry she did that to you." I replied. It cheered her up a little as Princess Celestia spoke again.

"My officers and soldiers, it has been my honor to promote nine fine examples of officers to new positions with the rank of my Day Guard, and to detach one fine officer to the command of Her Highness Princess Mi Amore Cadenza Equestria, in order that she may form her own branch of the Royal Guard."

"Guard Commander Sparkle will review the recent applications to join Princess Cadenza's guard and inform those selected for the task before four o'clock this afternoon. The formation of this new branch of the guard is because Her Highness Princess Mi Amore Cadenza Equestria, will undertake a diplomatic mission in the name of Equestria, a two year trip extending the hoof of friendship to the world at large. She will depart at Nine tonight, and I wish her and the ponies that go with her a safe journey. I thank you all for your time, and declare the promotion ceremony concluded."

And with that, it was over. The soldiers filed out, more than a few looking up at the royal box. A moment or two later, Princess Celestia entered behind us. She thanked the nobles who bowed, and waited for most of them to leave. Blueblood was one of the last.

"Nephew, how go your preparations for your trip to Stalliongrad?" Celestia asked him as he walked past.

The Prince spoke up politely.

"They go well. We should depart for seven, and arrive at Stalliongrad sometime tomorrow evening."


That seemed about right. Blueblood's yacht, the Wind Fish IV, was able to cruise at about seventy-five miles an hour, so the sixteen hundred miles to Stalliongrad would be covered in that time. It was slower than a military vessel as it was a more traditional-styled airship seemingly suspended below a balloon (shaped like a fish). The balloon portion however was almost entirely for show: The "gondola" section held mag-rotors and anti-gravity engines that kept her aloft without the aid of the balloon, just like any other modern airship. At the time I thought the balloon was just an extravagance that served only to slow the ship down, but in reality, it had actual use beyond visual appeal.

First, it could help the ship stay aloft with the anti-gravity engines and rotors disengaged. This meant that it acted like the emergency balloons most modern airships carried with the advantage of not having to deploy. The conventional emergency balloon sat folded up at the top of the ship, and was deployed using magic canisters that quickly filled it with a lighter-than-air gas. However, this took at least five seconds - five seconds in the grip of gravity, plummeting to earth. Bad news at low altitudes and bound to cause injuries even if there is no collision with the ground.

Second, it slowed the ship down. This was why most modern airships had the balloon as an emergency feature, but in Blueblood's case there was no disadvantage. His yacht was a pleasure cruiser, and he liked a gentle and relaxing flight far more than the break-neck paces small and fast "fighter" airships can reach. Sure, even the fastest airship is slower than an athletic pegasus - HHS Starscream, an experimental high-speed ship, flies at only two-hundred and seventy six miles an hour whilst the average pegasus athlete can reach four to five hundred. An airship can sustain it longer, but that's beside the point.

Of course, he'd commissioned a new one to be ready in about a year's time that had a far larger balloon and would likely move even slower. Then again he'd never flown one further than Manehattan before now so maybe a distance trip would remind him a little speed could be a good thing.

"Very good. I know you still have some uncertainties about this task, but I can think of nopony else I would trust to attend such an important occasion as the swearing-in of a new Mayor for one of our largest cities."

And one of the most remote and most fortified but Princess Celestia did not mention this. Blueblood merely bowed and left.

"Now, Cadence, and Captain Sparkle. I think I should apologize for that little memory lapse. I could have sworn I'd informed you, my niece..."

I remained silent but could practically hear my new Supreme Commander roll her eyes.

"Anyway, what about your own preparations?" Celestia said.

"They go well, Auntie. Er, do I call you auntie in front of..."

"Well, I'd prefer it, myself, but it's up to you really."

Cadence looked at her aunt, then me, and then back to her aunt.

"...The preparations go well, Auntie. The Flotilla is awaiting inspection, and all should be ready to depart on time at seven-thirty. Is the dinner still going ahead?"

Celestia nodded.

"Of course. Captain Sparkle is invited, of course, along with a small entourage from the soldiers he will select for your guard. So there's not that much to do before you depart?"

"Not really, auntie. Just get the guard detail selected, sort out a few minor issues, inspect the ships and then dinner."

"Very good. Well, I'll leave you to it. Oh, one last thing."

The Princess looked almost...nervous. "Tomorrow is the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration, it will be a special occasion. If the sun does not rise on time, please continue on schedule, it shall hopefully be nothing to worry about. It is merely a surprise welcome back to somepony very special...Alright, see you at the dinner tonight."

We looked at each other very confused but couldn't think of what to say.

We bowed as Celestia left, and a few moments later Cadence moved to leave herself.

"Captain, please escort me to my study. I need to check over a few last minute details and I think we had better get started with you selecting those soldiers..." She instructed, or said, rather. She hadn't quite grasped the concept of orders at that point.

"Yes ma'am." Putting together an entire new unit to guard a Princess as she traveled around the world? In just a few hours? No problem. Right?

"I can give you a hoof with them if you like, I did try to poke my nose in a few times when Lieutenant Price was working on filtering out the candidates. He left his notes and the files in the study."

"Very good, ma'am."

"And Shining, you can be informal with me if you like."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Please tell me that was you trying to make a joke."

"It was."

"Good."

"...Did it work?"

"No."


I followed her lead, and soon enough she had taken us to the castle's West Wing. On the way, we noticed a senior Civil Servant, Sir Humphay Appleby, and the Minister for the Department of Administrative Affairs walking past their own office chatting whilst Baarnard Wooley, a junior civil servant (and also a sheep, for the record) was trying to get them to acknowledge this fact.

"Sir Humphay, Minister, we've passed the office six times!"

I told you a lot of ponies liked to talk and trot right past their destination. In this case it was because it avoided their office and avoided work.

"...Gentlecolts, can you please listen to Baarnard and actually enter your office?" Cadence spoke up.

"Oh, my apologies, Your Highness, I fear that myself and the minister were rather distracted by our important discourse upon matters of state. Dreadfully sorry, Baarnard."

And they then entered the office, under Cadence's amused gaze.

"It was never a penalty for Manechester City, Humphay! The linesmare had flagged for offside a good ten seconds before the tackle, Cloudsdale were robbed of at least a point!" The Minister could be heard as the door closed.

Also it lets them talk about hoofball for longer the more times they avoid the office.

"Utterly shameful nonsense..." Cadence muttered.

I offered no comment on what I initially thought was her views upon the conduct of a Minister and a senior Civil Servant in dodging work.

"The linesmare was trying to wave a bee away, not signal offside. Cloudsdale are just sore losers." She continued.

I was a little shocked.

"Wait, you follow hoofball?!"

"Of course. You didn't think I took Twilight along to see Maresenal with you just because she wanted go with you, did you?"

"...Oh. We lost one-nil to Trottenham."

We kept walking, passing yet more wandering Civil Servants as we neared the Princess' study. Cadence had her study in the West Wing, by her own request. At first glance it was fairly distant from her quarters in the main keep when walking, and it was strange she should put her personal study in one of the more busy parts of the castle rather than adjacent to her room, much like Princess Celestia.

As anypony who looked would realize however, both the office and her bedroom had large windows and good lines of flight between them. Getting between them (especially from bedroom on the fourth floor to study on the ground) was quite honestly fun for her. Also, by being in the admin area, she provided herself quite a bit of protection. More than once, a few ponies upset that Princess Celestia could not see them had instead sought her out. And wouldn't you know it, the civil service and the ministers floating around had this dashed habit of finding just the right pony to help the petitioner out... It actually benefited the ponies in question as much as it did Cadence.

Cadence opened the locked door with a glow of her horn.

"I don't imagine there's much point in you learning the spell to open it, it'll be at least two years before we'll be back in here anyway." She noted as we entered.

It wasn't a big study. Two writing desks sat within, one with the back to the window and another looking somewhat more temporary in nature in the corner, piled with files and letters.

"The files are at that desk... The gold file should have the ones that Price recommends, about sixty applicants. The scroll should... Wait, there wasn't a scroll this morning. It's for you."

I gave it a once-over with a quick scanning spell. A scroll could hide all sorts of surprises. A Neighponese exploding tag, a more conventional concealed gunpowder charge, a tax bill...

"...Princess Celestia sent it. She's advising me of four particular volunteers in the list." I sighed.


I had a messenger send for the three of them available. Sergeant Thunderhead, Private Captive Audience, and Private Running Gag. Lance-Corporal Apple was of course at a reunion, so I sent him a letter to tell him he had been accepted into the new unit. I left the door open at Cadence's request, as she felt the study had become a bit stuffy and wanted the air to circulate.

It also meant I could see anypony coming from where I was sitting instead of having to try getting that see-through vision spell to work properly. I've never really mastered it. Then again, used like that it would have the nasty side effect of seeing the parts of the pony if someone walked across my vision. I had no further desire to see a sentient creature's lungs again even if this time they would still be inside him or her.

I waited a short time, looking through the files quickly. A decent number of them came highly recommended by their own officers according to Price's notes, and their files looked promising too. Two more troopers were selected by the time the first three arrived, heralded by voices echoing down the corridor.

"...So he says to him 'A purple box? Well, that's a ten minute joke with no punchline.'"

"I don't get it."

"I did, but I regret having the cognitive ability to do so now."

The three then came into view. I had them enter, where they bowed to Cadence, even as confusion or dismay at one of Running Gag's notoriously terrible jokes reigned supreme.

"Okay, gentlecolts, you obviously knew beforehoof that I was getting this job. How?" I asked, giving Thunderchild a glance.

"Well, sir, a little bird told me. That is to say not that little a bird at all, actually quite a regal-sized one if you catch my meaning."

"My Auntie Celestia told you. Why couldn't you just say that?" Cadence pondered.

No one brought up the point that Thunderchild would never refer to Celestia as "Cadence's Aunt" or indeed as his own aunt as an exact repetition of her words would have then indicated.

"Indeed, Your Highness, Her Highness spoke to me two weeks ago when the volunteers were being sought. She advised me to tell trusted troopers the true nature of who would be the most likely commander, but noted confirmation would be last-minute for a few reasons."

"I see. Why did Ellis go to his family reunion for the afternoon instead of waiting on news he'd been accepted or denied?"

"Well, he bought the train ticket to Ponyville three weeks ago, sir. "

"Ah, right. Wait, Ponyville?"

"Before you mention the chariot your sister took, sir, he did have the train tickets and some sort of brunch to avoid. I think your sister probably did not avoid it if I have my timing right..."

"What would she have to do with Apple's family reunion?"

"He told me they're handling the catering and said his family tends to be too helpful in making sure everypony leaves full."

Oh well, it'd make up a bit for all the times she forgot to eat while she was studying.

"Very well, Sergeant, you four are the first members of Cadence's Guard. That means you three that are here get to run messages. I'm going to send out letters to the commanding officers of the ponies I accept to formally ask for permission, even though it's already been granted in most cases except four of them that apparently had an executive order sneakily overrule their CO..."

Three pairs of eyes under golden helmets avoided looking at me.

"Gag, Audience, you two are the runners, and Thunderchild, you're standing guard outside."

"Yes sir," All three replied.

"Wait a second, what was that about Twilight and a chariot?" Cadence asked.

I decided to explain while I handed a letter each to Gag and Audience. She seemed pleased too.

"That should be good for her. She's never really been outside Canterlot, and to be given an important job like that as well. Was she nervous about it?"

"She seemed more worried about the legend of the Mare in the Moon than the job she'd been given, to be honest."

"Ah. So she's off to do her job in confidence."

"Er, no, she is genuinely worried about the Mare in the Moon."

"...What?" Some more explaining to do.

After that, the next hour or so was a routine. Soldiers would be selected, and the two messengers would run off to inform the troopers and their commanders of their selection. I planned to inspect the troops after Cadence inspected the ships, after which they'd likely all embark their gear and belongings aboard. In that hour though I had picked out ten troops, counting the four that I already had at the start, technically.

The routine was only broken when Cadence decided it was time for lunch. Or rather, when Cadence groaned and rubbed her head with a hoof.

"Ugh, I'm glad I'm almost ready to go on this trip and be done with reading files on ponies. And donkeys and zebras and griffins. Pretty sure one was a minotaur as well. The worst part is I have no idea who the minotaur was and it's not like there's dozens of minotaurs around the castle. I know there's a minotaur in the Guard but it's not him..."

"Corporal Will?" I suddenly recalled that mighty set of pipes.

"He won't be here much longer, sir. He's not re-joining. He said something about taking up motivational speaking I think," Thunderchild noted.

"Well, the only thing more awe-inspiring than his muscles is his voice. Anyway, gentlecolts, I think it's lunchtime."

Private Audience was then surprised to be ordered to head to a small salad and beanburger stall not too far from the castle walls. I recognized it.

"So, Your Highness, Twilight rubbed off on you a little, did she?"

Cadence laughed at that.

"Well, to be honest, you just don't get good hayfries at the average dinner here in the castle. Usually my hoofmaiden Sunset goes but she's visiting her mother before we set off."

"Don't you have more than one?"

"Yes but I made the mistake of letting them each decide if they wanted to come and they're out discussing it with friends and family. Doesn't help they were all at a birthday party today."

She paused for a second.

"Mind you it does have me thinking. You can't keep fruits and vegetables fresh forever and be sure of collecting more. After all various countries we'll visit have meat-eaters or other foods we ponies might find odd. Meat might be put on the menu just to test us."

"Have you ever eaten any form of meat, ma'am?" Thunderchild wondered.

"...Yes. Fish and chicken as part of my diplomatic etiquette lessons. I managed to avoid anything that might have been able to speak..."

This alluded to the fact that some Griffins ate beef. They claimed it was from a subspecies incapable of speech and showing no signs of sapience. That hadn't stopped some Griffin nations outlawing beef entirely. In fact, it's widely expected that beef embargoes may be the cause of the next war between Griffin Nations. Reminded me how some ponies thought eating eggs was in violation of the traditional pony vegetarian edict.

"Princess, every soldier in the Royal Guard is trained that in emergencies where the correct food is unavailable, that fish and chicken are viable emergency rations. And I think most larger airships actually carry a small towed launch that is designed to obtain food from the sea."

Mostly seaweed, actually, but yes, in an emergency fish is viable. The trouble is with everything being so salty, and with most everypony aboard being ponies... You can imagine.

"I see. That makes sense." Cadence nodded.

"There was this one trooper that was kind of odd about it on my part of that training, sir. All he ever ate was fish and chicken even when they had hay and flowers available..." Private Gag began.

"He was a griffin, wasn't he?" Three voices said together.

"...Aw, you've heard that one."

"Yes, we have. And for the record, Corporal Griffen would appreciate if you stopped using that gag about him."

Cadence blinked.

"Wait, his name is Griffin? Is he an actual..."

"Yes. He's a Griffin named Griffen. With an E." I said.

"Oh. Like some ponies have the second name Pony."

I looked back at the list of soldiers. As it happened there were actually two troopers called Pony, and Corporal Griffen was on the volunteer list. One of the Ponies seemed promising, so a Pony called Pony and a Griffin called Griffen wound up added to the unit. Griffen was also a good choice because we'd travel to several Griffin Kingdoms, and his knowledge of their culture would be invaluable (textbooks could tell you a bit, but having a native of the country was always preferable, thus why I also tried to place a Zebra on the crew as well).

Lunch and the next few hours were uneventful. I filled in the blanks, as Cadence finished her own work and moved to the general day to day work of a Princess.

"...Gha, where were you five minutes ago, L-Block?!"


Eventually, it was Inspection Time. This meant that first, Princess Cadence and I would wander around looking at airships.

"...Your Highness, which ships will make up the Flotilla?" I wondered, as we began walking to the Airship docks.

Airships I knew almost nothing about.

"Oh, I forgot to say, didn't I. It's the Frigate HHS Invincible, the Scientific Survey Corvette HHS Enterprise, and the Gunship Corvettes HHS Dreadnought and HHS Falcon. The ranking Air Naval officer is Commander Shepard. You'll meet her later when we inspect the ships."

"I see."

I'm not in the Air Navy wing of the Royal Guard, so I didn't know the ships intimately just by their names. I knew HHS meant "Her Highnesses Ship", I knew that Corvettes were bigger than Patrol Craft and Attack Boats, but smaller than Frigates which were smaller than Destroyers, Cruisers, Pocket Battleships, Battleships, and Patrol Craft Carriers. I knew that Invincible was also the class of Frigate, so she was the lead ship of her class.

I knew that if you put my sister aboard anything called a Scientific Survey anything she'd likely never leave, but that was about it for the Enterprise. The other two Corvettes, I'd never heard of.

Commander Shepard outranked me due to the fact a naval commander is actually equivalent to a lieutenant-colonel on land. Yet oddly because she was in charge of a ship she was a captain, and because I, a captain, was in charge of an entire branch of the Royal Guards I was a commander.

However, in the grand scheme of things our jobs at this point were to ignore each other. She would show Cadence around her ships, and I was merely there to keep an eye on Cadence, as well as maybe pick up a few facts about the ships that would be my home for the next two years.

However, there were some interesting things aboard the ships.

"... Invincible has thirty guns of various types and calibers, spread over the broadside decks, facing upwards and downwards from the belly/bombardment gun decks, as well as two rocket torpedo bays. We also have a half-dozen ballistas and catapults to conserve gunpowder and numerous firing ports for unicorn horns around the ship. Every one of the guns can be armed with Party loads of confetti and streamers..."

What? I'm a Stallion. Explosions are awesome, guns make explosions, therefore guns are awesome, Q.E.D.

You'd be surprised how much the average Equestrian is surprised at ever finding out the Navy's airships had weapons. Let alone finding out swords were meant for more than fancy ceremonies in this enlightened day and age.

Anyway, that was it. Not much to learn except that Cadence would be living aboard Invincible, the Frigate with a crew of three hundred and fifty, a top speed of a hundred and ninety knots given by her mag-rotor engines, fed from a magical fuel source supply that would last up to five years of normal operations giving it a theoretically limitless range apart from the pesky need to feed the crew and get more gunpowder every now and then.

Oh, and that we would likely travel at a hundred and thirty knots so that the whole flotilla could stay together as Enterprise was a little bit slower.

After that there really wasn't much to say. I inspected the troops, now with added Lance-Corporal Ellis Apple. I told them they were joining a new branch of the Guard, that they were each to be diplomatic and give their young unit reasons for pride in the future, and then Cadence spoke to them for a short while.

This would normally be when we'd be infused with Cadence's essences, but as we found out at this point, Cadence did not know how yet (something she blushed a bit when recounting), and thus us former Day Guards would keep Celestia's inside us.

They began to board the ships, the Air Naval guard finding places for them and the diplomatic parts of the entourage.

We saw Prince Blueblood overseeing his own ship getting ready, and Cadence decided to go over for a short chat and so my brain decided to shut down for a bit. About all I recall was he seemed genuinely happy just at the prospect of flying his airship, which I would later learn was one of his most beloved hobbies right after acting like a complete fool.

Okay, in all fairness, it's a crying shame he never joined the Air Navy as he probably would have made a decent navigations officer there. And not just because he'd be on a ship far from Canterlot up to nine months a year.

But yes, that was really it. The evening was uneventful. I readied for dinner, putting on my red Dress uniform that was now back from the tailors and one of the few things I hadn't had boxed up and put aboard the ship. I sent a letter to my parents, who it turns out were away on a vacation at the time and replied soon after, pleased for me and telling me to be careful. I considered a letter to Twilight, but thought against it.

The dinner consisted of me largely being quiet and answering the occasional question directed at me, but Cadence was the center of attention when it wasn't on Celestia. It wasn't really terrible - I'd been to a number of formal dinners like that before, except this time I was actually at the table rather than standing around at the back. Fortunately a few Generals, Admirals, and Brigadiers were floating around so I didn't stand out as the only idiot in red in a room full of black tuxedos.

After that, a fairly hasty change to armor to match the rest of the Guard I commanded, and then boarding the ship. Princess Celestia bid farewell to Cadence, and we were almost delayed when the Alicorn of the Sun was reluctant to release the hug. In hindsight I should maybe have been noticing the act was a little bit more than a sign of how close Celestia was to her niece, and maybe noticing an element of genuine worry.

She then got a hug from each of her parents, Blue Song and Bright Blood, the latter of which giving me the typical parental warning given when handing their daughter's safety over to somepony else about how much trouble I'd be in if I let anything happen to his daughter.

At the time though I was just regretting to myself that I wasn't able to hug anypony to see me off. My sister was in Ponyville and for the next two years I was simply going to be moving further and further away from her.

"Feeling all right, sir?" A voice broke me from my contemplation.

"Hm? Oh, yes, Sergeant. Just lost in thought."

"Probably a bad idea, sir. Very difficult to find a map of thoughts and far harder to send scouts on ahead. Anyway, I checked your room as you asked, sir. Everything seems to be there fine."

"Very good." I nodded, as Cadence boarded the ship. She was wiping her eyes as she did so.

"Are you okay, Cadence?" I said without thinking.

She nodded, missing my slip.

"Yes, I'm fine, Shining, thank you. Just a little sniffly. Auntie and my parents seemed more upset than I am really."

The ship lurched slightly, and began to lift away from the docks. Princess Celestia stood watching with Blue Song and Bright Blood, and the other three ships in our little flotilla began to lift off too.

"Oh, Shining? Can you please call me Cadence when we're in situations like this rather than 'Ma'am' or 'Your Highness'? "

"Certainly, Ma'am" I said, grinning.

She got the joke and smiled herself.

"...Anyway, Commander Shephard invited me to the bridge after we took off. I think I'm going to head to my room first. Could you meet me at the bridge in five minutes?"

I nodded, and she left.

"Do any of you have any smart remarks to possibly remove from your systems?" I asked the four enlisted ponies.

"Uh, no, sir. In fact I wager all we have are stupid remarks." Lance-Corporal Apple answered honestly.

Naturally everypony looked to Running Gag, who sighed and assured us he had none...right now.

"Good. See you later, Gentlecolts."

By the time I was at the bridge to meet Cadence, we had rose and moved away until Canterlot was like an ant hill. We could see Cloudsdale floating over behind a cloud. We could see train lines crossing the plains, see little towns and villages dotted around. We could see some of the vast expanse of the Everfree Forest. We would pass Manehattan at about half past nine, and be over the sea heading for our first destination.

A Griffin Republic, where our arrival was to be timed to ensure Cadence would attend the inauguration of a new President. A fairly simple start to the tour, I thought.

Remember what I said about thinking about things like that?


The Summer Sun Celebration? Did I see anything unusual? Well... There was Nightmare Moon I guess.

Oh. You mean before it? Uh, no, everything was actually pretty normal.

...Well, there was this one weird thing the night before Princess Luna came back. It was late, but I was going to see my big sister that evening, about an hour after the weather team had got rid of the short shower they'd scheduled. She was excited about her job for the summer sun celebration. She was really looking forward to working on the decorations, but she was only supposed to start the next day - you know, right before the celebration? It's some ceremonial thing, apparently all the preparations need to be done under the light of the previous day's sun or something.

But anyway, when I was getting near her house, I realized there was this... weird shape following me. It looked like a big dog, or a wolf. It might have had a horn in it's head, but I wasn't sure. But... It seemed kind of see-through.

"Uh... Hi, doggie?" I said to it. It walked over, and it sniffed me for a moment.

The creepy thing was, my hoof prints the way I'd came behind it were gone. Not one mark in the damp mud at all.

It growled, and I nearly jumped back. But I remember Fluttershy came to the school a while ago and told us all that if a dog or an animal is turning violent you don't make sudden movements or break eye contact. So I tried to do that.

Like a camera flash I had an image in my head of myself living with those two mares Lyra and Bon-Bon, and that filly named Tootsie Flute, a, my (?) sister? But it felt, wrong, not just 'cause that never happened, more like, it was wrong for it to happen, like it was a half finished script that got rejected. And I a part of that rejected image. I don't, I'm n-t, I w-sn't- "

My memories of Rarity and mom and dad flashed through my head like tiny soldiers coming to the front to separating me from the picture.

And then I could swear it spoke. But it sounded... weird. Like it was speaking backwards or something.

"...nO. supposeD tO exisT. noT wronG."

And then it walked away slowly. I blinked and... It was gone.

"Hey... Where'd you go?"

Then I head a voice shouting behind me.

"Ah, there you are Sweetie Belle! I couldn't recognize you in the dark! What were they thinking? Mother said you'd be here late but she didn't say this late. You could have gotten lost! You're lucky I thought to look for you!"

Didn't recognize me in the dark? On a full moon? "Oh, hi, sis... Did you see a dog here?"

"What? No, dear... but you seemed to be looking off into space. Is something wrong?"

I shook my head.

"It's probably nothing."

And... that was about it.

...Huh, you know what's really weird?

I think I actually forgot about that whole thing until... Until you guys reminded me.

PreviousChapters Next