• Published 9th Sep 2012
  • 7,056 Views, 2,699 Comments

Pony POV Series Season Six: Dark World/Shining Armor - Alex Warlorn



Twilight tries to remember herself after 1K years of chaos/Shining Armor awakes on his promotion day

  • ...
34
 2,699
 7,056

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 103: (Dark World) "My Little Alicorn"


(Art By Atomic-Chinchilla)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Pony POV Series
Dark World Part 26 "My Little Alicorn"
By Alex Warlorn

My front claw shaking, 'Caravel Cat vs. Ponyville' played on a turntable next to my throne, I snaps my fingers, I instantly broke into a coughing fit.

The two purple plastic music box ponies in a puff of purple smoke transformed into a real-life full-sized flesh and blood purple mare and a purple filly with white and purple makes, they both had completely insane eyes and expressions. They instantly stood at attention and saluted their lord and Master, me. Didn't make me as proud as it used to. "Mad Tiara and Screwball reporting for duty!"

Then they gasped in shock seeing me in such a state. Screwball spun her beanie and floated up to my shoulders. Mad Tiara climbed up my throne's arm rest. Both looked in dismay at the giant hole in me, and shuddered afraid of what they saw inside. Screwball took a huge band-aid out of her mouth and stuck it over the hole. Mad Tiara reached inside her mouth and took out a finely crafted bottle marked 'phoenix tears' and gently dropped some on the stone bits. They fixed nothing.

"Heh. My self-centered daughter. I can't believe she forgot your names. I should have realized you had already been around before I asked that, then again, it's hard to keep it all straight. Hard to keep anything straight really. Or maybe she didn't really forget. I can't be sure anymore."

The two purple mad-ponies looked at each other confused and concerned.

"It's alright. I take it you two enjoyed your retirement after I gave my daughter and the rest your old jobs?"

They nodded together eagerly.

"Good to know...heh. Everyequus else is gone."

They tilted her heads, confused.

"It's...not important. The point is, this place isn't safe for your retirement anymore."

Mad Tiara giggled.

Screwball laughed. "Good-good-good one, Master! That's silly! You're so-so-so silly!"

"I'm afraid just this once, I am being completely serious."

The purple ponies gasped together.

I tell them that the Chaos Six are gone, that the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony would be here soon. And that will be the end of it.

Mad Tiara is holding a spiked chain mace while Screwball is holding a giant spiked club with grim determination on their faces. Should have known.

"All you're going to do is lose. And it won't change how much time I have left in the slightest."

"NOW HOLD ON!" Mad Tiara snapped, "YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST GIVE US A CHANCE! We'll protect you, Master! To the end! We'll show those wannabees what the Purple Pair can do! And they'll run away crying for their mommies!"

"I command you to be silent, Mad Tiara."

She shut her mouth. With a zipper.

Screwball knew down. "Master, we've always-always-always been there for you. We helped with the aliens, we helped with Grogar, we helped with the dragons, we helped-help-help with the changelings, with Ponythulu's surprise birthday party-"

"And thank you for that one, Screwball."

"You're welcome, Master. And we acted as nannies when you turned yourself and your Six, and the dragon, into hatchlings and fillies that one time. We had help from Miss Smarty Pants but still, we-we-we have-have-have always come through for you. Why do you think we can't help you now?"

"Because...because...I don't wish to lose you too."

She looked sadly up at me, "Master..."

"Mad Tiara."

"Yes, Master?"

"Protect your mother."

"Yes Master."

"Screwball."

"Yes Master?"

"Protect your daughter."

"Yes, Master."

"...There is a castle I've been restoring. It belonged to my mother and a great ancestor of yours. I've already ordered the staff there after they're done at Ponythulu. You outrank them, they will already recognize you as the new Masters of the castle...." I was amazed I had managed this speech so long, I guess my lungs must be gone. Doesn't make sense...since when have I ever cared? "There are spell gates in the castle that lead to Amazon Island and to Sky Ocean that'll change you into one of them until you leave. They will now recognize you as masters."

"YOU ARE MASTER!" Mad Tiara screamed.

"Not for much longer. You both carry my mother's blood. My Kingdom Of Chaos will belong to you. If, there is anything left."

"Don't say that, Master," Screwball said. "Your Kingdom of Chaos is going to last forever! Just like you!"

"Heh...I'm afraid forever is just about over."

Blast it. They've started crying now.

(For the love of everything, this is absurd.)

Says you.

(Pretending your choices can effect anything.)

I'm sick of this. I've seen Cruelty die, I don't want to see the last two members of my family throw their lives away.

(Oh you have my sympathy, oh wait, no you don't! And neither does your family, really! After all, weren't THEY the ones that sent you Rancor?)

Heh. You're right. Except, maybe that means they do care.

"Mad Tiara, Screwball."

"Yes Master?" They asked together.

"My daughter, Fluttercruel, I've lost any right to call myself her father. My own magic she was born with censored her mother. I never knew, because I never checked, I respected her privacy, but it was my responsibility as her father to know. At least she's free and with the only one who loves her as much as I do. And will do a better job than I did. As the two who serve me of their own will, I give you that confession."

"You brought me and mom back together, Master," Mad Tiara said.

"How can we not be indebted to you Master? You made the world where everything makes sense at last," Screwball said.

The two hugged in front of me, two peas in a pod, they were adorable.

I sighed. At least I had always kept them away from anything too bloody during their time as my 'elite guard.'

"Mad Tiara, Screwball, I know I didn't show it for a long long time, and it took me a long long time to realize it, it had to be hit over my head many, MANY times, but you're also my family, and I love you too....And know that I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what, Master?" Mad Tiara asked, those crazy eyes of her innocently asking.

"Never mind. I don't have the magic to teleport you there. So take the Inverse Vortex there. Close it behind you. Be as fast as you can, don't take anything with you."

"But Master, we don't want to leave you, I don't want to leave you." Screwball pleaded.

"I command you."

They shuddered. And sadly nodded their heads.

"I obey, Master."

"I obey, Master."

"And one more thing...The Elements of Harmony are NOT my killers, nor will they have the chance...You are not to under any circumstances seek vengeance on them or confront them in any way from this day forwards, understood?"

"...Yes Master."

"...Yes Master."

Screwball pulls a portable hole out of her mouth and placed it on the floor.

"Love you too, Master." Screwball said.

"Master, Mad Tiara love you too," Mad Tiara nodded.

They both blew me a kiss fair well. I wave them goodbye.

(There's nowhere for them to run.)

For once, you don't know that.

The two jump down the hole to the floor below, taking the hole with them, and towards the Inverse Vortex. I force my flickering big screen TV to stay focused on them until they've safely left. I'm going to miss them. They were always fun. I regret I fixated so much on Fluttercruel that I didn't recognize how much they loved me too. Concepts aren't supposed to be able to regret, I really am dying. Something new. I almost feel giddy about it.

I lay back and rest up for my grim reapers.

++++

I knew the patterns of Master's, Discord's, our castle better than the rest of us, after all, I had been the leader among his six...enforcers? Minions? Slaves? Toys? Pets? Yes, pets. We had been pets. Animals he kept around to amuse him. After all, since when did Discord NEED underlings? It had all been for his entertainment. Well not anymore.

Our small army gallops into the last place I expected (hoped) to find, the art gallery. AJ immediately glanced at what all I saw was a solid wall.

None of dared look at an empty pedestal that read 'Sparkler.'

But it seemed life was determined to throw one confusing mess of a complication after another in our path this evening, before our final showdown with Discord.

The Princesses were safe. A solid gold statue of a large Alicorn that shines like the sun, and a smaller silver one that shimmers like the moon. This time I understood why my eyes were misting over.

"Is it really them?" Derpy whispered. I nodded. Now her eyes are misting up, as well.

Even Apple Pie seemed amazed at their beauty. Then she turned, looking at the complete stranger who was already in the room.

"But...Ah was always told the seaponies were ugly mishmashes of fishes like... how'd Minty Pie put it? Like the aquatic version of Big Underbite Discord," Apple Pie whispered.

For the record: the seaponies of Sky Ocean are NEVER malformed or ugly. They are simply a VERY diverse species to the point that no two seaponies are exactly alike. It agitates me to say so, but each of them is easily the most beautiful thing, alive or otherwise, that my evil former Master created.

Now that I knew what to look for, I magically scanned her in a heartbeat. No, it wasn't Cruelty, Discord, OR Rancor in a new stolen body. And yes, no bomb in her stomach either. Her lower body resembled a dolphin's, her coloring a mix of blue and sea-green, she had a pony's upper body, but had fins along her fetlock, and a crest going along her back where her long flowing mane ended. Her cutie mark was a ripple in a pond, what did that represent?

And what was a sea-pony doing outside of Sky Ocean? Her presence felt alien, unnatural, and jarring. She was happily humming to herself and hadn't noticed us yet.

Then I noticed she was getting around via some form of hydrokinesis. A mass of seawater followed her around, keeping her body hydrated, floating around her lower body and forelegs. Then she finally notices us. She's on the floor bowing to us in seconds.

"Lady Twilight Tragedy The Wise,
"Dame Traitor Dash The Brave,
"Lady Liarjack The Eloquent,
"Lady Rarigreed The Protective,
"And this must be Master Discord's Noble Steed Spikey-Wicky The Cute,

"It is an honor for me to finally meet you personally. If only we could accompany and serve Master Discord as you are allowed to." She saw the sour look on Spike's face. "I'm SO SORRY! I mean no spite or envy for your sacred position, Noble Steed."

Spike cringed in embarrassment. "It's, it's okay. Please don't worry about it. Please."

"Thank you for your forgiveness, Noble Steed." She looked at me. "Lady Twilight Tragedy The Wise, if I may be so bold, where is Lady Angry Pie The Mighty and Lady Fluttercruel The Joyful? And may I ask who the Pegasus and ground filly are?"

Oh great. "This is Ditzy Doo, she is Traitor Dash's understudy," I explain. "And this is Maple Pie, is she part of Angry Pie's family. We're babysitting her for Angry Pie."

"But where are Lady Angry Pie The Mighty and Lady Fluttercruel The Joyful? Oh and Lady Rarigreed The Protective, if I may dare ask, how is Little Miss Ruby doing? I think she truly enjoyed our performance if I dare be so presumptuous."

Now Rarity spoke. "She is doing fine, better than ever. And yes, she did enjoy your play. She mentioned it several times during my last Gala she attended. She is with Fluttercruel and Angry Pie. They have gone on ahead of us. She has been kept cooped up inside for so long she needed to be free. I best not tell you where, but know they are likely safe and happy as we speak."

"Thank you, Lady Rarigreed The Protective."

"What is your name? What are you doing here?"

"My name is Aquamarine, Lady Rarigreed. Since my talent is telling stories, I volunteered to come here. Our school could endure if I was lost, and I would have so many stories to tell if I make it back alive!"

Everyone tensed at the outburst, wondering if Aquamarine was some new homicidal lunatic of Discord's meant to delay us a few minutes more.

"Lord Discord visited us recently. He did not look well. He said today is the Day of Vanishment."

"Vanishment?"

"Yes. Everything will vanish soon: all of this world, and Lord Discord himself. Only Sky Ocean will be spared. He wanted to make sure we had our own sun and moon before the destruction occurred. He said one feather each from these magic statues could grant us this boon."

Rarity's eyes widened. Apple Pie didn't connect these statues with the Princesses we told her about, they were just pretty to her but began to realize. AJ looked sadly. Rainbow Dash looked confused, as did Spike.

My head was spinning.

"Destruction? How?" Derpy asked.

"Lord Discord says an Alicorn Witch will destroy this world soon, him, and everypony else. Little-Ocean-Heart and Sea Apple of course haven't told Waterflower, she kept insisting that she tag along, thankfully we...we promised her she could try it later I made sure it was a safe and she was a little bigger. Seawing and Octotavia have been calming the theater and band members. The seaglow ponies have been saving up their power to...to give us light for...after it happens and we can give birth to our new sun and moon. I'm...I'm sorry Lady Angry Pie The Mighty isn't with you, Sea Cakes was hoping to be able to sing to her idol one last time..."

Sea Cakes. Oh. Right. I remember. That seapony who declared herself Angry Pie's number one fan actually made her mane the same as hers. She had actually gotten along well with Apple Sauce, Angry Pie latest and now last adopted foal. Sea Cakes was probably the one pony Angry Pie had tolerated being near one of her foals besides her, Liarjack, or another one.

It felt like sacrilege, that this seapony was taking feathers from the sisters when they were reduced to Alicorn-shaped pieces of gold and silver. 'Calm down Twilight, she's just a seapony, she doesn't know any better. She thinks Alicorns are monsters because of the lies Discord's fed her. She thinks Discord is the hero, and so are we because we work with Discord. But why would Discord tell them that doing this would help them? Why would he at all?'

"Can you," Derpy said, "Can you tell the...sea-glow ponies that I've always loved their lights?"

"I shall do as you ask Dame Ditzy Doo," the seapony bowed.

Rarity asked the next question. "How are you manipulating the water like that?"

"Master Discord gave me water magic as a gift to be able to explore and interact with the dangers of the environment underneath our sea. He says any seapony can learn it. So it must be so. He says if the world still exists, then it might finally be safe for us to leave Sky Ocean after the Alicorn Witch is defeated."

(Kill her.)

What?!

(Can't have her stealing part of Luna and Celestia's power when they need it!)

That isn't how inanimate transformation works. The transformed-state doesn't become your natural if you lose your tail for example, you just change back with out it. Not now soap boxes!

(How can you take that risk with CELESTIA? The greatest teacher who has ever lived?!)

From what Applejack told me about her redemption, Applebloom's ghost took a feather already on orders from their...Father, so it must be safe. And I'm not a murderer. That's why.

*You could just stop her from leaving with the feathers if that's the problem.*

(That's not the point! They're not alive. They're not ponies. They're not people. They're just creations of magic, the early ones using ponies as raw material. They have no experiences outside their fish bowl, so they don't count as sentient. They're only 'alive' in the sense a tumor is 'alive!' They're parasites who feed off Discord's magic. It's no more 'murder' than cutting out a cancer.)

A DNA test would show them as having DNA, like living things should.

(So would your hoof clippings! That doesn't make it alive and doesn't make them alive! They're -THINGS-. You don't think you're smashing pots when you squash clay do you?)

Life isn't about what you are or what you have. It's about what you can become. A golem can be programmed to act and react, it can be given a library, and be programmed to recite it. But it won't ever be able to -learn- how to -learn-. You can create a virus that will reproduce, have it mutate, but it'll never -grow- it'll never become -more-. A famous artist once said that the statues he created were already there, he just needed to free them from the stone blocks they were trapped in. Tom was none of these things and neither are the Sea Ponies.

Everypony else was looking at me. Ow! The ceiling? Did I get taller? Oh. That's one biiiig soap box. Just where do these keep coming from?

"Uh, Half-Light?" Apple Pie spoke.

"Lady Twilight Tragedy?" Aquamarine looked up at me surprised too.

Erm. Shoo-shoo! There. "Sorry...carry on..."

I saw the golden and silver feathers that were floating in the water around her hooves. I magically scanned the princesses. The soul-binding matrix was one-hundred present intact.

"How do you intended to leave, my dear?" Rarity asked. "Will you simply fly back to Sky Ocean?"

"Oh, I've been given a teleportation spell with two charges, one to come here, told to wait until the barrier came down, and the second to leave, set to unlock then relock the holy barrier around the castle when done...It's a one pony spell. Master Discord said you and he would try to defeat the Alicorn witch instead of taking safety in Sky Ocean.

"One of you can take the feathers to Sky Ocean in my place if you wish My Ladies." Aqua-Marine offered suddenly.

"Wha? No! Ur, yes!" Applejack declared, thankfully remembering the Sea Pony still believed she was Liarjack.

"I am so sorry! I should have known you'd never sacrifice one of us to save yourselves! I am so sorry! Forgive me!"

"Hey hey hey! It's not alright! There! Go ahead and, er, cry?...It's not okay." Applejack hugged her.

She shuddered in awe at the touch of one of her living gods. "Thank you My Lady Liarjack The Beautiful."

"Go on, go on home, we promise we're gonna let this here world vanish."

"Thank you Lady Liarjack The Eloquent."

Applejack glanced at us, almost if daring any of us to say differently. She kissed the seapony on the forehead. "Ah promise things'll turn out bad." Aquamarine nuzzled her living legend.

"Goodbye Lady Twilight Tragedy The Wise,
"Dame Traitor Dash The Brave,
"Lady Liarjack The Eloquent,
"Lady Rarigreed The Protective,
"Dame Ditzy Doo,
"Noble Steed Spikey-Wickey The Cute
"Small Lady Maple Pie."

She flashed blue, and the silver and gold feathers were gone with her.

Now just silence in this art gallery.

"Half-Light... they're not zombies. Not like Ah was always told." Apple Pie admits.

"They're just innocent." I answered. "They're the most innocent ponies in the world. Discord's done his hardest to make sure they don't know how he abuses the rest of the world. And also that they can..." It struck me, "That they could survive without him if need be."

"You must admit, that doesn't quite sound like Discord does it?" Rarity says, "But at the same time, what you just said is completely correct."

"So that was a seapony up close," Spike said, "She was...nice." Spike had never been brought to Sky Ocean.

"They really are loyal to you, aren't they?" Derpy said to us immortals.

"They're loyal to the versions of us that exist in their heads," Applejack said, relieved to be done with reverse speaking. "like foals and their idols."

Rainbow looked thoughtful. "Hey...I know Discord's a master at confusing us, but...What about the Alicorn Witch she mentioned?"

"It's possible he meant the Princesses," Derpy suggested. "They're Alicorns, the Sea Ponies think Alicorns are the bad guys, and it would 'destroy' his world if they returned."

"Maybe...but why would he say witch? Not witches?"

Applejack looked like she was confused. "...Maybe it was Nightmare Mirror."

Everyone looked. "What?"

"Remember how Ah said Ah went into the truth and all that? Well at the end meh and five other mehs ended up stoppin' ANOTHER Alicorn meh that was going around turnin' all the Elements of Honesty in the multiverse into copies of her and absorbin' em. She could make yah face the worst truths about yah simply by lookin' in her eyes...Ah think THAT would fit the description. Maybe Discord found out about her somehow and just doesn't know she's not comin' anymore."

Silence.

"She's telling the truth," Rarity said finally. "It makes sense as much as anything else. We can't be worrying about a foe that MIGHT exist before we deal with the one that DOES."

"If I have to hear one more crazy-yet-true thing today I am going to drill a hole in my head to drain out the crazy," Rainbow Dash cried out.

"I'll help you," Spike said.

I looked at the two statues. There is no decision at all.

"Everypony, no questions asked, formation!"

The looks I gave the entire team left no room for debate.

Rainbow Dash was reduced to playing lookout as we charged up the Elements. Using the Elements yet again might have been tiring, but I no longer cared. I couldn't care. I didn't want to care. If I couldn't do this with the Elements, after Discord's been broken and depowered, then what was the point of even having them? I had failed my Princess, my Teacher, my Mentor, my, my Mom, but I wouldn't cower from this! I'd accept any punishment she'd give me! As was her right! I wouldn't back away from this! Nor would I let them suffer a moment longer! Not now! Not again!

Forgive me if I skip over the feeling of peace and harmony as our souls linked together and became one, and we gave birth to the Rainbow of Light, and with its power, the light washed over the two Princesses who had ruled Equestria with compassion and wisdom.

I could never undo all my mistakes, and I wouldn't destroy myself with trying, but this wasn't about me this was about all of us and restoring the day and the night we loved so dearly themselves to their proper places.

Everything became the most beautiful white light I have ever seen in my entire life! We seven heroes surrounded the two former statues.

"Princess Celestia!" I shouted. "Princess Luna!"

The holy light faded.

A little white Alicorn filly looked at us, she had violet eyes and a rose-colored mane. She had a familiar sun cutie mark.

"Uh, my name is Celly. Uh, who are all of you?"

My jaw dropped. My heart nearly broke in two.

"TWILIGHT SPARKLE!" Another filly gasped, her coloring was very familiar, dark and light blues, with green eyes. On her rump was a black splotch centered around a crescent moon. "THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU! YOU HAVE THE GRATITUDE OF THE NIGHT ETERNAL!!!"

I couldn't stop the selfish thought. I tried so hard, but I couldn't. I wanted Princess Celestia to be the one who remembered and Princess Luna to be the one with apparent amnesia.

"CELESTIA!" Luna hugged her, "FOR ALL THE GLORIES AND SONGS FROM MY STARS ABOVE! TO TOUCH AND EMBRACE YOU AGAIN SISTER IS A THOUSAND AND ONE JOYS!"

"LULU! LULU! Stop hugging me! Stop shouting so loud! What's going on?! Where are we? Where's Dissy? Where's mama? Where's Surprise and Posey?"

Rarity startled at the names.

I looked at everypony and dragon. "Everypony on your knees! You're in front of your Princesses!"

"Twilight..." Rarity began.

"On your knees," I commanded darkly.

They obeyed.

"Oh...why is everypony bowing at us? Whao! Big dragon! Can I ride you?"

"Princess Celestia," Twilight whispered.

"Sister...has your mind really faded along with your body?"

"Whaddya mean faded? Am I invisible now? No, I don't think so, or can invisible things see invisible things?"

"No sister that is not what I..." The filly Princess Luna sighed. "Worry not, elder sister, worry not."

"Uh, okay, but...where are we?! What's going on?! I was with everypony at Paradise Estate and now I'm here! And Dissy was acting real funny, kinda sad. He wouldn't tell me what. Mommy-Star-Maker was there, and mommy-Mimic, and mommy-Plow-Harness-"

"That's a lot of mommies." Apple Pie said.

I glared at her, she's now quiet.

"Celestia, they are-" Luna began, then stopped herself, she looked into those big violet innocent eyes. "They've had to go away for now and couldn't take them with us. Don't worry we'll see them again soon."

"But how did we get here?!"

"You've been asleep, Celly. We...nopony was able to wake you up before. But these nice ponies, and dragon, were able to wake us up."

"Did they have Dissy kiss me?"

"WHAT?! NO!"

She blushed, "Well," She tapped her front hooves together looking down, "The prince always wakes up his princess with a kiss, and they're calling us princesses, or I think they are, so-"

I needed a memory erasure spell. Wait.No I don't!No I don't!No I don't! WHAT WAS APPLE PIE DOING?!

"Howdy, Ah'm Apple Pie, Ah've heard all about ya from Half-Light, it's great to meetcha Celestia, Ah mean Princess Celestia!" She was NOT shaking hooves with Celestia!

"Oh please I prefer Celly, nice to meet you too." The sun smiled back and returned the shake.

"And yer Princess Luna, right? I've heard about you too."

"'Too,' eh? I guess some things NEVER change." The filly sighed sadly.

"Huh?! Come on! Ah ain't mean nothin' by that! Come on, ya've got gotten free after, how long did Half-Light say? A thousand years! You should be happy!"

"I suppose it's an improvement over the LAST TIME I was imprisoned for a thousand years."

"This has happenin' ta ya before?! That's just mean!"

Celestia looked right at her sister, "WHO WOULD DO SUCH AN AWFUL AWFUL THING? TELL ME WHO DID IT LULU! I'LL GIVE'EM MORE THAN A PIECE OF MY MIND!"


+++

My pink haired sister's attack hit hard, cracking my armor. I instantly shift back into my form of Princess Luna.

"Celly! Please don't!"

"Luna?"

I turn on the waterworks.

"Oh Celly! We created Nightmare Moon as an imaginary friend! An avatar! But now she's gained control! Help Us!" I lie perfectly, when I wielded the Element of Honesty, I knew all the finer points of lying and tells to better see them.

"Oh Luna...I knew there was no way that thing could really be you! Come on! Let's get you to the medical lab, maybe we can-" she turned around. I instantly charged my horn to its maximum and fired my most powerful disintegrate spell.

"PRINCESS CELESTIA!" Some faceless, nameless Day Guard threw himself in my horn and got hit instead.

"MISSED!" I cursed.

"Golden Armor! Luna! Fight her!"

I rolled my eyes. "Big sister, thou'll believe anything."

Oh dearest sister, we envy thee, why did thou have to be freed of the memories of my sins and not ourselves?
+++

"It's...it's okay, Celly, I, I deserved it THAT time."

"No way you could EVER DESERVE THAT, Lulu." Celly nuzzled her. Princess Luna shook as she returned the nuzzle.

"Thank you Celly."

Luna looked at us, "Elements of Harmony, I've beheld all that you've done. While my body was trapped, my mind and senses were not. For a thousand years my consciousness has been alongside you, watching you. I shan't deny it has been depressing in the extreme... up until these recent days. I am very proud of you all for climbing out of the darkness Disc... that you were thrown you into. Now twice do I owe you for saving me. And one more for saving my sister."

"Lulu, did you get into some of Surprise's extra-special cooking? Or those mushrooms Posey is always saying aren't for eating?"

"No, Celly. I did not."

"Okay. But, is Dissy doing okay?"

"I'm...I'm certain he's fine."

"Okay sis," she smiled, and hugged her.

Celestia eyed me and fluttered up to my face. I froze. "Hey, are you okay? You look sad. Are you hurt? Are you lost too? Lulu says I was asleep and you woke me up, so thank you for that. Very much!" She wing hugged me. My goddess was wing hugging me!

After a thousand years...it felt just as wonderful. I knelt into the little hug. It was beautiful. Then her horn magic flickered out and she fell since she was using her wings to hug me. I caught her as once and continued to hug her. "Are you okay Princess, er, Celly?"

"I'm, I'm okay, I just think I'm really low on magic, I didn't think my magic could be this low."

"I sadly too must concur that my own magic is at its threadbare minimum." Princess Luna says. "I am afraid, for the task ahead of you, Twilight Sparkle, we shamefully shall not be of much aid to ye." She hung her head low, "I am sorry that you've wasted your time with us."

?! Rarity DID NOT just...she did not just-!

"YOU ARE NOT A WASTE OF TIME, LITTLE FILLY!" Rarity said to her face at the shocked Alicorn holding her cheek throbbing. "You and your sister are not a waste of time! Understood?! You are the moon! Your sister is the sun! You are NOT a waste of time! The day and the night are NOT a waste of time! You've been watching us this whole time? Two of our friends are NEVER EVER A WASTE OF TIME! Just because you're incapable of fighting doesn't make you a waste of time! Just imagine a world full of nothing but soldiers, warriors, ninjas or whatever! It would be completely pointless!"

"But I'm of no use to you now so-"

"Twilight didn't rescue you so you and your sister would be 'of use' to her! She saved you because you both mean the world to her, because she didn't want you to suffer for a moment more! Both of you are the holy, hallowed champions of a brighter age when love and sanity ruled... a state we are fighting to bring the world back to! Warriors or no, we're ONLY SORRY that it took us this long to free you!"

"Lulu, what's wrong?" Celly asked, as her sister shed tears.

"Nothing, I'm just so happy." She looked at us, "Thank you all, Twilight, Apple Pie, Spike, Derpy Hooves, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash." 'And thank you Trixie, Magica, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy.'


"Where's Philomena?" asked Celestia, looking around for her pet.

Philomena had been one of the first that Twilight the Unicorn had freed... even before teaming up with Applejack. How could she explain to this filly that her pet had spent the last thousand years baked into a clay pot?

"Don't worry," she decided to say. "She should be safe and sound right now, I... made sure she was taken care of."

By which Twilight meant that she had released Philomena into the sky the moment she'd restored her to her phoenix form. The firebird had gone off like a shot -- and Twilight had never seen her again since.

"Aww! Thank you!"

Wherever Philomena actually was... Twilight was sure that if she and Celestia were meant to reunite, Celestia could make it happen. After she'd caught up on quite a few history lessons.

"You have some important business to take care of." Princess Luna said to all of the Elements. "You had best get going. I believe you've kept the world waiting long enough."

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash, then the little Alicorns.

"Rainbow Dash? I have the most important mission imaginable for you."

A few minutes later, Rainbow Dash was flying away from Chaos Castle back to Sweet Rock Acres, with two alicorn fillies in tow. To her credit, the pegasus was doing a commendable job hiding how miffed she was about the fact.

"Are you sure this is wise, Twilight?" Rarity asked. "I mean... it's one thing to prevent two helpless fillies from participating in this battle... but to deprive us of a powerhouse like Rainbow Dash? NOW? Couldn't we have simply shut the princesses in an empty bedroom, and have them stay put 'til the dust settled?"

"I wouldn't trust Their Majesties safety to ANY PART of Discord's lair, no matter what kind of neutrality agreement we have with it!"

"You could have asked ME to bring them to the farm and take care of them." Derpy suggested. "They all say I'm not unkillable... but Dashie definitely is! Wouldn't she be...?"

"I chose Rainbow Dash because she's unkillable. Imagine if we're all annihilated in this final fight. What then? Well, with Luna and Celestia, we at least have a Plan B, of sorts. They've both acted as Element Bearers themselves. True, it'd be quite a hassle... building themselves back up to maximum strength, reclaiming the Elements of Harmony from Discord... but, there you have! Plus, they'll have Unkillable Rainbow Dash as their guardian and mentor. And if Dash truly IS the embodiment of Free Will now, she's the one being who's now more immune to Discord's mind games than anypony. I couldn't choose a better protector."

Derpy nodded, "That makes sense!"

(Finally using your common sense.)

*Agreed.*

"Rarity, Applejack, check those stairs behind the doors on the other side of the gallery. Are they infinite?"

"No." They said together.

"Good. Time to pay one last visit to Master."

++++

Paradise Estate looked so pretty next to Unicornia, Old Ponyville, New Ponyville and Butterfly Island.

Two Pinkie Pies played cream pie chess.

Scootaloo and Scootaloo practiced downslop go-kart racing, getting a few bruises along the way.

Cheerilee and Cheerilee compared the virtues of different styles of teaching.

Gingerbread and Bon-Bon traded cooking secrets.

Rarity made dresses for Princess Rarity.

Rainbow Dash made dresses for Rainbow Dash (Rainbow Dash wanted to race with Firefly instead, but Rainbow Dash told Rainbow Dash it was best Rainbow Dash learn how to make dresses too).

Spike was playing cards with Spike and Spike (Spike and Spike were fairy certain Spike was cheating).

Oh and Applejack was trouncing Applejack and Applejack at hoof wresting (again, Applejack and Applejack really needed to stick to baking and comedy).

Everything was okay, everything was happy. Every day was something new to uncover and learn and Celly loved it that way. Even when things looked their darkest, things always turned out okay.

Entire herds worth of ponies continued to happily live their lives, all of them of course knew who Celly was. Why shouldn't they? Celly was best pony. Oh her and her sister were both best pony of course. Silly her.

They always had something to speak with her about or something to give her or simply to just sit around quietly and just enjoy each other's company. The smiling sun beamed down and waved at Celly who waved back.

She wondered if Toola-Roola was done with that painting of her yet.

"Hey, Celly."

She saw her best friend in the whole wide world. "DISSY!" She flew up and hugged him. "It's great to see you! Where have you been?"

"Just...taking care of things."

"That's what you always say."

"I know it's just-Hey! Watch it, Surprise!"

"Sorry! Tee-hee!" Laughed the white pegasus flying away with a now spilled large tub of water (guess she'd have to go get another one for Gummy's bath).

"Heh, surprise," Celly said kindly wiping his wet mane out of the little draconequus' eyes.

Dissy looked at the world, everypony happy and interact with each other, no need to fight monsters here to form bonds. No need for monsters. No need for monsters at all.

"You know, Celly, I think being here with you, it's the only time I think I can remember smiling my best smiles."

"Oh, you're sweet!" The pink hair filly kissed him on the cheek.

Dissy blushed. And sighed. This was harder than it should have been.

"Celly, I...I don't know if I'll be able to visit you anymore."

"What?" Celly stopped dead in her tracks, and almost fell off the cloud they were on. "Is something wrong? Has something bad happened?"

"...No. Nothing like that. I just don't know if I'll be able to anymore. Some, very big things are happening outside of Equestria and...I think they might been keep me away for a long long time."

"But...you'll come back right? When you're all done."

"I don't know if I'll be able to."

"Oh come on! Don't be silly! You're Dissy! You can do anything!"

"Except beat you at Super Smash Ponies, it seems."

"Oh don't give up. You almost beat me last time, HEY! Don't change the subject!"

"Sorry, force of habit."

"Now how can you just say you won't be coming here anymore?"

"I...I'm sorry."

"Now you see here! I dunno what this 'big business' out of Equestria is! But I want your promise! If everything turns out okay you'll come back and visit me! Like you always do!"

"Celly...please I can't..."

"PROMISE!"

"I...I promise." He looked like he was swallowing bad tasting medicine. "And Celly?"

"Yeah?" She turned to him. She didn't see the sky turning a bunch of rainbow colors.

He hugged her tight. "YOU'RE my very best friend!"

"We're very best friends." She hugged back.

Without a moment to spare she vanished into sparkling rainbow lights.

Dissy sat on his rear, looking around at Equestria.

(Just how were you able to hide a place like this from me for so long?)

Dissy forced himself not to cry, he knew it didn't make a bit of difference, but he wouldn't give her that satisfaction, not here, not in Celly's special place!

*Because you didn't want to see it. You didn't want to believe Discord would make Celestia's imprisonment her own personal paradise. Because that would mean he cared about her. And you couldn't bear that, could you?*

(Who are you? Could you be...? Heh. Now I know nothing can go wrong. So get off your high horse. Clearly Discord was just waiting to turn this utopia into a nightmare when Celestia's happiness hit its peak. Idiot.)

"That's enough lies," Shady said, his mother trotting on the cloud even though she was an Earth Pony (and legendary for her physical inability).

"Hello mother," Discord said, not being able to face her. Facing the statues was bad enough.

"Discord, it's time to let go," Shady said to her child.

Discord looked up apologetically at his mother, "I'm sorry, mama...but I can't." The little draconequus shuddered.

"Do you think my son is going to learn his lesson now?"

(...Get your head out of your flanks. This was NEVER EVER about reforming 'your son.' It's about punishing him, pure and simple. Eternal Damnation.)

( Eee
Tern
Nal

Damn
Nay
Shun. )

"...I used to think you're what my son needed. Maybe you were. Maybe you still are. I'll tell you this, though: there is nothing righteous about you. Many ponies have called my son the devil. I have no way to argue that they're wrong. But you...you're WORSE than my son!"

(Oh my. I am being judged by one random pony who had the bad luck of being Discord's gateway into the mortal world. How shall I ever live with myself? Very easily.)

Discord didn't stop himself from crying now, maybe Celly would forgive him for crying in her kingdom as long as it was in front of his mother.

The earth pony hugged her son. The various ponies of Equestria below them hugged each other too.

"Discord."

"Yes mother?"

"I'm sorry for everything."

"So am I."

+++

"DISCORD!!!"

Eh?

"TIME TO FACE THE MUSIC!!"

Sigh. Here we go.

"FOR SPARKLER!"

"FOR MAH FAMILY!"

"FER MAGICA!"

"FOR EQUESTRIA! FOR THE PRINCESSES! FOR TOM! FOR FLUTTERSHY! FOR PINKIE PIE! SWEETIE BELLE! THE CHANGELINGS, HIPPIOGRIFFS, VIRGACORNS, AND ALL OTHER LIVING BEINGS!"

I see the surprise in their eyes. I'm not what they're expecting. But they keep it together.

They're about to save the world, after all.

PreviousChapters Next