• ...
 2
 622

Chapter 5: Day

I woke up the following morning to an empty bed. The side where Oak was sleeping was still warm, so he couldn't have been gone long. I looked at my nightstand clock and gasped. It was half past seven. I was running late. I got up and ran to my closet. I grabbed a clean shirt and a pair of jeans and threw them on. I didn't even bother with brushing out the bed head as I ran to the kitchen and was met with the smell of bacon and eggs frying. Oak looked up from where he was cooking and laughed.

"It's not funny, Oak. Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked. More than a little miffed.

"Well, fer starters, you were sleepin' so peacefully, I just couldn't wake ya. Secondly, Ah was up at six, so I cleaned up a bit and decided ta make breakfast." he said, matter of factly. "By the way, how do ya take yer coffee?"

"Black, strong as hell, with two sugars." I replied. "Listen, sorry I snapped at you."

"It's alright, darlin'. No harm no foul." he said. "Sorry Ah laughed at ya." He started pouring us each a cup of freshly percolated coffee, adding cream to his, and two sugars for each of us. He handed me one and set to work dishing out the bacon and eggs. He then laid out two pieces of toast each and we sat at the kitchen table. Breakfast was passed in silence.

A few minutes later, we were washing the dishes, making sure that the apartment stayed clean for when my parents eventually returned. We then got all our school stuff ready and headed to school.

__________________________________________

The ride to school was almost fun. Burnt Oak was pushing his Pontiac as far as it could go, within boundaries. As we approached the school, I thought of something.

"Hey, babe. What do we do when we get to school?" I asked, concern in my voice. "Don't you think people are gonna ask questions. I don't usually arrive at school with you. I don't know if I'm ready to tell everyone about us, or the accident my dad got into." Burnt Oak looked over to me and smiled.

"Then we deal with it, darlin'." he said, then he smirked. "'Sides, people are gonna hafta get used ta it, 'cause I'm gonna be pickin' ya up everyday ta get ta school, 'til ya get yer own car, of course."

"Yeah, you're right. And the secret will eventually get out." I agreed.

"Well, we're here." he said as he pulled into an empty space in the student parking lot. We climbed out of the Firebird and walked into the building, hand in hand. People were whispering, and I didn't like it. Then Oak did the unexpected. He stopped, pulled me closer, and kissed me. The whole hallway erupted with cheers, but I didn't hear it. All I heard was my heartbeat quickening as the world fell away around me, leaving just Oak and I in this moment, together. One of the students, Ace Sentry, came up to us as we took a break for air and patted Oak on the back.

"Took you guys long enough." he said and turned to walk away.

"What does he mean by that?" I asked.

"Well, it's no secret that ah had a major crush on ya since ya transferred. Ah actually got teased often about havin' a crush on the prettiest, smartest, most talented girl in school." he said. "People said Ah didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell with ya."

"Well, you have me now, so you proved them wrong. When I transferred, I had a lot of boys coming to me and asking me out. I turned them all down flat. I knew I saw something in you when we first became friends, but I didn't realise that I had feelings for you 'til yesterday." I said. It was the honest truth. The people could talk all they wanted. I love Burnt Oak, and nothing will change that.

I left Oak by his locker and headed to mine. It was time to get to class. I had Art first, which I shared with Candy, the only one in our friend group that didn't know about Oak and I, but news travels fast in this school. She was bound to know.

I got to the class to see that I was the first to arrive. 'Great. It always happens." I thought to myself. To my credit, the first bell hadn't even rung to signal the start of lessons yet. I went to my desk at the front of the class and sat down. As I sat down, the first bell rang, signifying that lessons were due to begin. The class started to fill up, but I couldn't see Candy anywhere. The late bell rang, and Candy came running in. The teacher had not arrived yet, so she was safe.

I waved her over to where I was seated. She always sat next to me in the lessons we shared. She came walking over, watching where she was walking, because she had been tripped repeatedly over the three years that I had been here.

"Hey Candy. Why are you late this morning." I asked as she approached.

"Got locked in a broom closet. Don't ask how." she replied. "What's this I hear about you and Oak kissing in the hallway?" she asked, causing me to blush.

"Oh. Oak and I are an item." I replied, not looking at her directly.

"When did that happen, not that I didn't see it coming?" she asked.

"Yesterday. Before I found out my father was in an accident." I replied. Just then, our art teacher, Mr. Card, walked in. "We'll talk later."

"Alright students. No more talking. Did you all practice the shading techniques we went over last week." he asked. I didn't listen to the rest of the lesson. I kept thinking about what my father said last night. The people who did it to him are still out there. I decided then, if the people who did it are still out there, I would find them. I decided to help the detectives in any way I could.

__________________________________________

The hospital room had just been cleared of detectives and officers. I felt dead tired, but I was glad to have my wife by my side. I may not have been the best person to be around over the last three months, but having her here to support me and knowing my daughter was okay was all I needed.

"We can't keep it from her forever, Dean. We need to come clean." My wife said. I looked out of the window at the bustling traffic of downtown Canterlot City.

"I know, dear, I know. But how do I tell her the reason why the factory was condemned and so many people retrenched was me." I replied.

"We'll figure it out. We always do." she said.

"Yes, we do. We'll tell her when she gets off school. We've already told the detectives, but it would be best to tell her ourselves before they let it slip to her. At least Oak will make sure she stays safe." I said. She leaned over and gave me a kiss.

"I'm sure he will." my wife replied.