• ...
 2
 622

Chapter 12: Issues

It has been two years since that fateful day where I got kidnapped. Graduation was right around the corner, and I was excited to start on a new chapter of my life. Oak and I had been going steady for the two years, and we were going to move in together after graduation. I already secured the deposit for a condo close to the campus, and we would both be going to Canterlot University. He will be studying business management while I study criminal psychology and forensics.

I was on my way to school, happy that we were not living in that run down apartment anymore. My parents had bought a house in one of the nicer suburbs shortly after my sixteenth. I was driving my gleaming, silver and blue GT500, still exciting to drive, even after two years. I had put on a twin-screw supercharger and upgraded a lot of the engine components. She now pushed out about six hundred horse power. I didn't always drive her, preferring most days to drive the compact SUV I bought a year and a half ago. I turned onto the street that the school was on, and spotted the school in the distance. I pulled into the parking lot, and saw Oak standing by his truck, an old Ford F100 pickup, next to an open space. He had been doing that for the past two years, always making sure to save me a parking space right next to his car.

I pulled my car into the open space, and cut the motor. I climbed out, wearing the Stetson I had bought two years ago. It had come in handy, working the orchards with Mac and Oak. So many times I had gone home with sunburn. In hindsight, I could've combatted it with sunscreen, but I never thought that far. I went over to Oak.

"Hey, babe. How was your weekend?" I asked. Oak had been visiting Mac less and less over the last couple of months, saying his parents wanted him to study more.

"Hey, darlin'. It was boring as hell, without you and the others." he replied, giving me a kiss. I kissed him back. With that, we walked into the school. My first class was drama, which I shared with Candy, Pear Butter and Luna. Celestia graduated a year ago and was studying education at Canterlot University.

"Have you met his parents yet?" Candy asked me while we were waiting for the teacher to arrive. I looked down in embarrassment.

"No, not yet." I replied.

"Seriously, you've been dating a little over two years and you haven't met his parents." Luna said in exasperation.

"Yes. I'm sure I'll meet them in due time. I mean, we are moving in together this summer, surely that isn't a secret he's keeping from his parents." I tried to explain, though I couldn't help the feeling of sadness that had crept in after Candy's question. "I feel like I should corner him about it, get the truth, you know." Tears were now starting to form in my eyes.

"No. Just leave him be. Ah know his parents, and they're a might old fashioned. He doesn't want ya ta feel uncomfortable around 'em." Pear Butter said, concern in her voice. "Jes give him time."

"You're right. But I still can't help it. I really wanna meet his parents." I said.

"Ah'll talk to him later. We're in the same class next." Pear Butter replied, a warmhearted smile on her face. I smiled in return.

"Thanks Pear Butter." I said.

"No problem, Vi. It's what friends're for." she replied just as the teacher walked in.

__________________________________________

Lunch rolled around sooner than I expected, the morning passing by in a breeze. I made my way to the cafeteria, anxious for the talk I knew was coming. I saw Oak sitting at our usual table with Mac and the others, but Oak looked a little miffed. I avoided going directly there and went to grab some lunch instead. Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Oak standing behind me. I tried to give him a hug, but he pushed me away.

"Vi, can we go somewhere ta talk?" he asked.

'Oh crap. Here it comes' I thought to myself as I nodded. He led me out of the cafetaria and towards the stairwell close to the library.

"What is it, Oak?" I asked as we came to a halt on one of the stairwell landings.

"Why did Buttercup ask when I'm gonna introduce ya ta mah parents?" he asked in reply.

"It came up when we were waiting for our drama teacher this morning. Candy asked, and you know I don't like lying. I had to tell them the truth." I said, tears beginning to form in my eyes.

"Well, jes gimme some time, that's all Ah ask of ya." he snapped. What he said took its toll on me, as I broke down at that moment. Just over two years since we started dating, and this was our first fight. He could probably see the hurt in my eyes, because he tried to embrace me. I pushed him away and ran, Oak calling after me the whole time. I just ignored him and ran to the nearest bathroom, where I could cry in peace.

__________________________________________

'Aw shit. Now you done gone and done it. Ya made her cry.' I thought to myself as I watched my girlfriend run away, tears in her eyes. I just dug my hands into my pockets and returned to the cafeteria, trying hard not to cry myself. I got to the cafeteria, sat back down in my seat, and proceeded to continue to pick at my food, all traces of an appetite gone. Pear Butter looked at me.

"Oak, are ya doin' okay?" she asked, concern in her voice.

"No. Ah'm not. Pardon mah language, but I think ah fucked up." I said in reply, trying hard not to lose my last shred of composure.

"Ya snapped, didn't ya." Mac said, receiving a slap from Pear Butter in response.

"Yeah. Ah did. Now she wants nothin' ta do with me." I replied.

"Just give her time to clear her head." Luna said. "If you truly want to make things right, start by doing the very thing that started this whole mess in the beginning." I hated to admit, but Luna was right.

"Alright." I replied. "Ah'll do it."

__________________________________________

I stayed in the bathroom for the rest of the day, not bothering to come out until the bell was about to ring. I couldn't stand to see Oak angry at me, so I made sure to leave just before the bell was due to ring. I got to my car just as the bell rang, climbed in, and sat alone for a few minutes. I needed to clear my head, as I was thinking some very dark thoughts, thoughts that hadn't occurred since my father's accident. I started my car and headed towards Sweet Apple Acres, the only place that seemed to be a refuge from all these thoughts.

__________________________________________

I got outside to the parking lot, a little worried about Violet. She had missed the last class, one that we happened to share, along with Mac and Candy. They shared classes with her before that, and they told me she didn't show up to those classes either. I got to where we had parked earlier, hoping to catch Violet before she left, but her car was gone before I got there. I got into my car and headed toward her house, hoping to catch her there.