• Published 13th Aug 2021
  • 2,233 Views, 26 Comments

What If...? - Fanfic27



One small change....changes everything.

  • ...
1
 26
 2,233

What If....Nightmare Moon Won?

As Princess Twilight and her older friends watches her student Luster Dawn and her friends explore Ponyville the original main six story has come to a close, but just as the book was about to close a mysterious voice spoke up.

"Time. Space. Reality."

As this mysterious voice spoke we are taken all across Equestria viewing the lives of many familiar faces, such as Trixie, Ember the Dragon Lord, and even Tempest Shadow. but just as we returned to the main six the entire fabric of reality shattered into glass showing glances at familiar events but ending in a different way then it did in the main timeline. As we viewed these events the voice spoke up again

"It's more than a linear path. It's a prism of endless possibility, where a single choice can branch out into infinite realities, creating alternate worlds from the ones you know."

Then all of a sudden were shown an old pony who has been alive since the beginning of existence. The pony fur was as white as Celestia, but had no mane nor a tail, and it's eyes held no pupils as it blank eyes shine with wonder, he wore a blue collared cape with a cutie mark of a clock with both hands pointing at what would've held the number 12. And then he spoke up once again.

"I am the Watcher. I am your guide through these vast new realities."

As he spoke we are once again shown different realities where different events transpired.

"Follow me and ponder the question...

"What If?"


"What If... Nightmare Moon Won?"

The Watcher spoke up "Let's go back to the very beginning to see how one small change altered the course of everypony's destiny."

"Equestria October 10, 2010. Nightmare Moon has returned after being imprisoned for over a thousand years. In one reality a brave group of six ponies stood against her and by unlocking the power of the Elements of Harmony defeated her and turned her back into the kind and loving Princess Luna, but in another reality a single choice changed everything." The Watcher spoke.

Castle of the Two Sisters, October 10, 2010

As Twilight and her new found friends stood against Nightmare Moon, Twilight and her Friends have successsfully acquired the elements of harmony but as they were charging them up, Twilight knew in her head that this was the only wayb to stop her but something inside her made her think that their was another way to defeat her.

"There might be another way to defeat her that might not require the elements of harmony" Twilight thought.

The Watcher then interrupted this by saying "This was it, this moment of hesitation will lead to a whole new world."

But as the Elements were powered up all of a sudden they powered down just as quickly. Confusing everypony including Nightmare Moon.

"What?" Fluttershy said

"What Happened?" asked Rarity

"Yeah I thought we were about to defeat her?" Rainbow Dash said

"Phooey." Pinkie Pie said.

"What in the hay?" asked Applejack.

"What...Happened?" Twilight asked confused about what happened.

"HAHAHA!" NIghtmare Moon laughed "The Elements responds to your emotions and so your one moment of hesitation cause them to go out of sync with one another. Which means..."

"Which means they are out of sync with these ponies." a voice spoke throughout the room.

They all turned to see Princess Celestia standing there with and angry look on her face.

"PRINCESS CELESTIA!" The main six exclaimed

"Well well isn't it my big sister." Nightmare said in a mocking tone to her.

"Stop this Luna please your my sister I still love you." Celestia said as she tried to pleaded to the pony who was once her little sister.

"Your precocious Luna, is gone she was weak and foolish like her sister and I Nightmare moon will rule over the nights forever." Nightmare said with and evil smile on her face.

Suddenly the elements reactivate but instead of activating with the chosen ponies the elements, the elements then were guided into the possession of nightmare moon. Nightmare then started to charge up the elements and aimed her targets on those who tried to defied her.

Celestia then activated her magic to toss her student Twilight out of the way, but she was too late in doing the same for the others. The Elements powers the wrapped around the ponies and turned them into statutes forever

"NOOO!" Twilight cried out as tears fell down her face

As the deed was completed, Nightmare Moon walked towards Twilight who still had tears in her eyes, Nightmare then put her hoof under twilight's chin to guide her face to be looking at Nightmare herself.

Nightmare Moon had a gently almost motherly smile on her face and said to twilight "You have so much potential in you, I can see you do even greater things than my sister could ever have teach you, let me become your new mentor and I'll show you that you can achieve more by yourself than any friend in Equestria."

Nightmare then held out her hoof and after thinking it over realized that nightmare was right and so twilight took nightmare's hoof and said to her "Teach me."

Nightmare smiled kindly at her new student and as the time came for the sun to rise it never came and it never will again as the nights will remain forever just as Nightmare promised her sister.



Two Years Later

As Nightmare moon sat on the throne in Canterlot, bathing in the glorious moonlight that shines through the glass windows, going over some royal paperwork the royal door opened, which made nightmare look up and smile at who entered the room. Her student Twilight Sparkles, who hasn't change much since that fateful day, with the exception of her main which now hangs down and covers half of her face and is now dyed a midnight black. And of course following her into the room is her loyal dragon Spike, who is still by her side in spite of everything that had happened and has been a beacon of support for Twilight during the few months that were extremely rough on her personally. As they approached the throne the both bowed to Nightmare as she descends the steps to greet her student. As Twilight rose up and face her mentor she then went and hugged her.

"Mother." Twilight said as she hugged Nightmare Moon

"I've missed you too my daughter." Nightmare said as she smiled and hugged her back.

After what happened in Ponyville Twilight's parents and brother disowned her and Nightmare Moon soon adopted her. and from that point on they were not just teacher ans student but mother and daughter as well. Her sister in law Princess Cadence still supports her and they regular writes letters to one another. Then Nightmare and Twilight walked out of the castle and started to walk through the gardens that lay outside.

"How did things go with the treaty talk with the crystal empire." Nightmare asked Twilight.

"Good after most of there empire was destroyed by King Sombra, who was defeat shortly afterwards, Prince Shinning Armor begrudgingly agreed to our terms as long as the support you we will send supply and food to them whenever they need them. While Princess Cadence supports us fully." Twilight said to Nightmare.

"That's good to hear." Nightmare said then a small smile came on her face "So.. how are you and your marefriend Starlight doing?" she asked teasing her daughter a little.

Twilight blushed and said "We're doing good you know."

Five months ago Twilight stumbled upon a small town outside of Canterlot and met Starlight Glimmer who she found that she had great potential as a student and then three months later they became a couple.

As the duo walked throughout the Canterlot garden the then entered the statue area and stopped in front of a group of statue that looks very familiar to the both of them. As Twilight looks at the statue with some sense of guilt in her eyes. Nightmare sees this.

"I hope your not regretting your decision." Nightmare said as she puts a hoof on the shoulder of her student

"I made my choice back then and I do not regret it." Twilight said as she looked at the statutes of her former "friends".

"Neither do I my daughter." Nightmare said as they hugged in front of the statute of her former sister.

The watcher the spoke up once again and said "Her one choice gave birth to a whole new history and gave the multiverse a new princess to rule over Equestria. As for me, these are my stories. I observe all that transpires here, but I do not, cannot, will not interfere. For I am... the Watcher."

THE END

Author's Note:

Next Time: What If... Sunset Shimmer Never Left Equestria?

Comments ( 26 )

Alas poor Elements, we knew thee well. On another note I am so looking forward to the next chapter.








Also first comment

What If....Nightmare Moon Won?

Didn't The Cutie Re-Mark already answer that question?

10936322
Doesn't mean can't get new interpretations of the concept. I mean, come on, there were plenty of fan fics exploring it before the show did. That's hardly to change.

What if Twilight wasn't able to fix the timeline when Starlight shattered it?

This... uh...
The "What If?" premise has been done multiple times before (yes, lookin' at you, 10936355 :trixieshiftright:), but while I'm not saying you shouldn't try your own interpretations, because everyone always has a bunch of different ideas...
This reads like an absolute train wreck. :facehoof:

10936426
i have been noticed 👀

overall though, yeah, story flow is kinda chunky at best. I'd recommend watching word choice and tense, and definitely commas as well.

10936357

Then everypony will probably die from the space-time continuum?! All because Starlight lost a frickin friend ( Sunburst )???!!!

Hope she cease to exist for this massive screwup.

Very nice so far, one of my requests are, what if Starlight never held a grudge.

What if the powers of unicorns and Discord were swapped?

oof ouch no updates for almost 2 weeks now

Here's a Chapter: What if...Twilight's reign ended before it began?

In it, somepony feels betrayed by the uselessness of the Royal Sisters and thinks Twilight will be just as worthless. So just before Twilight is dressed and goes out, he/she puts poison in a quick drink Twilight is given.

What if Celestia had 2 students...AKA what if Celestia found Fizzlepop instead of the Storm King

Jeffery Wright
Tara Strong
Ashleigh Ball
Andrea Libman
Tabitha St. Germain
Cathy Wesluck
Nicole Oliver

welp, rip this story. author's been offline for almost a month. :P

This... Is... Amazing!!! Please continue and will there be a "Ultron" in your What if...? Series? I mean a villain that wins and spreads throughout the multiverse

What if.... Thorax was Evil?

I hope this story continues.

please start updating this again please

Comment posted by 23vanmaastricht960 deleted February 11th
Comment posted by 23vanmaastricht960 deleted February 11th
Comment posted by 23vanmaastricht960 deleted February 11th
Login or register to comment