• Published 12th Aug 2021
  • 1,792 Views, 81 Comments

The First Equestria Girl - Mani-Roar



The origin of Sunset Shimmer and her quest into the human world (EqG not IRL)

  • ...
1
 81
 1,792

The First Equestria Girl: Ch. 1

A blinding red light illuminated the Canterlot night sky. The stars vanished in wake of the massively expanding light pollution as a thunderous boom rattled the halls of the stone castle kingdom. The explosion lasted barely a moment but caught the eye of everypony in Canterlot. Especially Princess Celestia.

In that brief moment, the clock turned back to sunset as red and orange hues mixed throughout the Canterlot horizon. The streets and city blocks were set ablaze by this warm glow for a few seconds. Then the stars returned to the night sky along with the soft light of the moon.

Celestia sat on her royal throne pondering this unexplained phenomenon. She was up unusually late for her. Even after nearly a thousand years of raising the sun and moon alone, the burden of the duties of two princesses was never something she had become fully accustomed to. Perhaps that was by choice, however, as she never wanted to let herself forget the failure of losing the pony she cared more about in all of Equestria.

Even without an official report, Celestia could tell that the explosion didn't do any real damage. Nothing about the spell struck her as malicious or threatening. Nonetheless, the power behind it was enormous. She shuddered at the thought of what such capable power could do in the wrong hooves. Her throne room remained quiet and serene for the next several minutes. A brief reprieve as she knew the castle night watch was most certainly scrambled in an uproar over the mysterious disruption.

A stout pegasus guard burst through the doors of the grand hall and galloped to the foot of the throne where Celestia sat. She knew he was there but her gaze was fixated on the stained-glass windows where moments ago a fierce power had shown itself glowing through their transparent images. She could still feel the rumbling of magic in her hooves.

"Princess!"

Celestia turned to face the Captain of her royal guard. He was fully clad in golden armor with his helmet tucked under his left shoulder. A pale scar that matched his dull beige fur ran from the top of his forehead down underneath his left eye.

"Canterlot is under attack." His voice was urgent and rough. She could tell he was afraid but refused to let that fear slip into his voice which sounded more angered than startled.

Celestia glanced back to the stained-glass windows which depicted some of the most honored and triumphant moments in Equestria's storied history. She half expected more similar explosions to follow, but the room remained silent. She turned back to the captain to fill the dead air.

"One single explosion, not much of an assault wouldn't you say, Archer?"

Captain Archer furrowed his brow.

"That is to be seen, princess. My colts should be swarming the scene as we speak. Please forgive our delayed response. Clearly we have gone soft and complacent in peacetime." He bowed his head all the way down to the purple carpet on the floor.

Celestia frowned slightly. She moved her translucent bangs away from her face with her golden crowned hoof.

"I don't think now is the time for a performance appraisal, Archer." The magical explosion was indeed powerful, but Celestia knew there was a personal nuance to magic that was difficult to explain to non-unicorn ponies. This "attack" felt more like a cry for help to Celestia, almost a whimper. But what in Equestria could produce that kind of power so meekly?

Another guard ran into the grand hall, bowed to the princess, saluted Captain Archer, and delivered his report.

"Captain, we surveyed the scene. We can't find any trace of the perpetrators or what direction they may have headed to escape." The guard was a dark brown earth pony who had a few inches in height and bulk on the Captain. Despite his superior size, he spoke his report with audible trepidation.

"What do you mean you found nothing? That's unacceptable, nopony attacks my city on my watch and just disappears." The captain sighed and donned his helmet, "Was anypony hurt? Please tell me casualties are at a minimum, at least."

The silver armored soldier saluted again.

"Sir, the alley where the attack occurred was apparently mostly empty."

The Captain raised an eyebrow.

"Mostly you say?"

The soldier nodded.

"The only pony we found was a small unicorn foal. She appears unharmed but is understandably shaken up."

Celestia's eyes went wide.

"Archer, take me to the alley at once." She stood up from her throne. She was massive and foreboding from her raised royal platform. The captain shook his head vigorously.

"I cannot recommend that, princess. The attack may not be over and the danger is…"

"Your recommendation is noted. Now take me there." She looked defiantly at her own troops. The captain and his subordinate exchanged an uneasy glance but then nodded to each other in agreement.

"As you wish, my princess. Please follow us, with caution."

They turned to face the exit of the grand hall.

"Naturally," Celestia agreed as she descended the throne room steps.

"Oh and princess, if I may." Archer spun his head back to face Celestia, "Please refer to me by my title while on duty."

Celestia smiled softly as they exited the Castle, "Of course, Captain."

By the time they arrived at the alleyway, nearly the entire platoon of the royal guard was walking alongside the princess. They weren't taking any chances of something happening to their one and only ruler.

The alleyway was dark and dreary even for the night time. Most of the street lamps were too far away or not properly lit to provide sufficient illumination to this sequestered area. There were scuffs and singe marks on the walls, evidence of the recent burst of magic. However, even without the mild damage, Celestia could see that this was a blind spot in her otherwise gorgeous Canterlot Metropolis. Mold and grime were built up where the pavement met the buildings. The floor was littered with trash overflowing from a clearly undersized dumpster. Celestia lit up her horn, giving an almost painful amount of light to the depressing alley, revealing a graffitied image on the stone wall. It was an unflattering portrayal of Celestia in a compromising pose and an unsavory expression on her face.

"I'll… I'll have that removed and looked into immediately, princess…" The Captain blushed as he spoke.

"I don't care," Celestia responded flatly. Her attention was occupied by the tiny figure wrapped in a blanket in the middle of the alleyway floor. It was an auburn-colored unicorn with a red and yellow mane that reminded Celestia of a late afternoon sunset. She was shaking in her blanket of either fear or cold or both.

"This is how we found the scene, princess." The bulky brown stallion spoke up. "This seems to be the epicenter of the explosion. No sign of the perpetrators anywhere. The alley was empty except for the child. She appears to have been abandoned here without even a blanket on such a cold night. We provided the blanket, your highness."

Celestia's heart grieved for the lost child. Everypony was understandably preoccupied with the details of the magical discharge. All she could think about was the sort of monster that would abandon their young like this.

"Have you considered that this child is the source of the explosion?"

The guards looked shocked and perplexed. They turned and murmured to each other. Exclaiming that "it was impossible" and "how could a child have that power?" and other variations of the same sentiment.

"Atten-TION!" Captain Archer barked. His soldiers snapped to attention and saluted. The chatter was replaced with a deafening silence. The captain knew the princess could be flippant at times, but she would never joke about something this serious.

"Ma'am," he broke the silence, "Are you certain?"

Celestia looked up to the moon. It was three quarters full and she could see the spotted, silhouetted figure of her fallen sibling in it.

"What do you think, sis?" She asked the pale lit moon.

The guards ignored this display waiting for their ruler to reveal her actual answer. She motioned to the singe marks on the walls.

"The residual magical energy from the blast matches the aura of this little pony." She turned to the nearest unicorn in the crowd of guards that she could find.

"Can you feel it?" She looked directly at him. His eyes shot wide and then closed shut as his horn glowed slightly. He concentrated deeply for a moment.

"Yes, princess," he exclaimed as he opened his eyes. "You're right the energy matches her aura… I… I don't know why I didn't notice…"

Celestia cut him off.

"You weren't open to the possibility, and therefore blind to it." The unicorn guard hung his head in shame.

Captain Archer cleared his throat.

"Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even though she is a minor and may have acted unintentionally I'm afraid she will still have to be taken in and charged with…" He trailed off and stopped as Celestia just glared at him.

"Or…" he continued less confidently, "Considering how minor the damage is and the fact that nopony was harmed in the assault… erm… accidental discharge, I suppose we can overlook it and take her to the local orphanage…"

Celestia cut him off again.

"Bring her to the Castle, give her the guest room closest to my quarters, and charge my servants with taking care of her every need."

The Captain looked shocked.

"But Princess, that room is meant for visiting royal dignitaries."

Celestia frowned at him.

"Thank you, Captain, I know what the rooms in my castle are meant for."

Captain Archer shuffled and grunted uncomfortably.

"Of course, princess. I'll see to it."

"Thank you, Archer." She smiled and knelt down slowly in front of the frightened filly. She dimmed her horn's glow so as not to harm the child's fragile eyes.

"Hello little one," She spoke in a tender, motherly tone, "What is your name?"

The little pony stared back at Celestia's warm smile and appeared to be more at ease.

"S-sunset Sh-shimmer." She squeaked. She was barely old enough to speak, much less perform powerful magic.

"It's all right my dear, nopony is going to harm you. Come on home with me and let's get you warmed up and ready for bed."

The child's eyes glistened as if she may cry tears of joy.

"M-mommy?" She spoke hopefully.

Celestia felt her heart melt. She looked up at the moon again.

"Oh sis, what have I gotten myself into?"

****

Celestia let out a noisy yawn in her study. Seated at her old-fashioned style desk, she looked down at her half-written correspondence. The letter to Saddle Arabia would have to wait until tomorrow. Her single candle flickered gently as she noticed the light from her window dim ever so slowly as she laid the sun down for bed. Raising the sun and moon had become such a common routine for her that she didn't even consciously cast the spell anymore. It just came out of habit so naturally that the sunset would often catch her by surprise just like it could for any other pony. This was for the better as focusing on the moon rising only reminded her of Luna and all of her past mistakes.

Her thoughts were interrupted by yet another Sunset catching her off guard. She turned her head and looked down at the sound of a large book falling to the floor with a loud *thunk*. Standing over it was the little fireball that had been an extended guest in the castle for the last several months. Celestia smiled.

"What are you doing here, little one? You're supposed to be in bed."

Sunset Shimmer puckered her lips into a pout. Her fuzzy auburn fur created a floof under her chin and forehead. It looked like she hadn’t been groomed in days after only a few minutes of bedroom hair.

"I couldn't sleep, will you read a bedtime story?"

Celestia could hear her chief advisor's voice in her head.

Don't coddle her, don't give her everything she wants. You must be firm but fair. If she's going to stay here you must commit to a proper upbringing.

Celestia shook her head. Surely a single bedtime story couldn't hurt. She raised the book with her magic and Sunset's expression was already elated.

"Which story would you like me to read, my child?" Celestia flipped through the pages, eying the potential titles to delight the young filly with.

"The Princess and the Pauper," Sunset declared enthusiastically. She spun in a circle and jumped in the air but missed her landing, ending up prostrated on the floor. Undeterred, she got up to a sitting position. Celestia raised an eyebrow.

“Again? We’ve read that one so many times. Wouldn’t you like to hear a new story?”

Sunset shook her head vigorously.

“No that one, that one, that one,” she demanded.

Celestia got up from her desk and sat on the floor next to Sunset. The tiny unicorn scooted into Celestia’s side as the princess ran her hoof through Sunset's disheveled red and yellow mane.

“Alright since that’s your favorite one, I suppose we can read it one more time and then straight off to bed with you.”

“Ok Mommy,” Sunset cooed and rubbed her head against Celestia’s shoulder.

Celestia instinctively pulled back. Her eyes went wide as her magic paused, causing the book to slam onto the floor. Sunset shied away from her and dropped to a prostrated position again, this time intentionally.

“I’m sorry, princess. I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry.” Tears were welling up in the young foal’s eyes.

Celestia’s advisor, Madam Bishop, had been more than clear on this point.

You are not her mother. You cannot be. It’s improper, it’s indecent, it’s scandalous. A supreme ruler cannot adopt a commoner. If she is raised as your daughter, society will reject her, scorn her. When she is old enough, she will be your student and nothing more. This is the way of things.

Celestia did not appreciate being lectured on “the way of things” by pony advisors not even a fraction of her age. However, she knew she could not just ignore her either. Bishop was right, in a way. Pony society could erupt in controversy over a perceived heir to her throne. The question of Sunset’s place and princesshood could tear her kingdom apart. Celestia needed to hone and guide the unfathomable magic potential in this young unicorn, and a “student” was the only socially acceptable relationship according to her advisor.

But she also couldn’t stand the look in Sunset’s eyes. Especially the way they looked at her. None of this was right or fair to the little foal. Celestia extended her wing around Sunset’s waist and pulled her back into her embrace. Sunset reluctantly relented to the princess’s physical guidance, still fearing a reprimand.

“No, I'm sorry. I overreacted.” Celestia cooed gently.

Sunset sniffled and frowned up at Celestia. The princess towered over the little filly, but her wing was soft and her voice inviting.

“Everypony needs a mother. Somepony to love and guide them. It’s not fair for you to be denied that. You deserve a family just like everypony else.” Celestia’s gaze turned to the partially opened door in her study. It would be embarrassing if somepony heard what she was saying. She knew her guards would be nearby but were they in earshot?

“But it’s not allowed. Mad-Mare-Bee-Show said so.”

Celestia stifled a laugh at Sunset mispronouncing her head advisor's name.

“Well she’s not here right now." Celestia considered her words carefully before continuing. "I tell you what, Sunset, you can call me ‘Mommy’ but only when nopony else is around ok? It will be our little secret.” She winked at Sunset. Sunset’s eyes were radiant with glee at the thought of calling Celestia mommy, but also being entrusted with a secret.

“Really?” Her smile was wide and toothy. Celestia nodded at her.

“As long as you keep your promise, yes.” Celestia sighed as if a weight had been removed from her shoulder.

“Thank you, mommy,” She leaned her head into her new Mommy, cozy and comfortable as can be.

“Now where were we?” Celestia lifted the book with her magic and opened it up to the worn and marked first page of “The Princess and the Pauper.”

“Once upon a time, there was a poor pony with nowhere to call home…”

Sunset’s eyes were already glazed over as she began to drift off to sleep.

****

Sunset stepped cautiously through the doorway to her classroom. She had spent the last few years by Celestia’s side and her aids. This was the first time that she would interact with her peers and the thought was intimidating to say the least. Her mane was perfectly styled and her fur was almost glowing with a gentle radiance. The castle caretakers that Celestia tasked with watching over her everyday had been particularly meticulous with her grooming this morning. Using weird bottles of smelly hair care products. Pulling her mane with brushes until her scalp was sore. Blow drying for what felt like hours on a setting that was way too hot. All to make sure she looked "Princess Perfect" on her first day of magical kindergarten. Celestia saw to it that Sunset was enrolled in her honorary prestigious school for gifted unicorns and chose to walk Sunset to her first lesson with her new classmates and head instructor.

When Celestia opened the door, the entire class was already in their seats. Four rows full of young fillies and colts turned simultaneously to see Sunset standing in the doorway. Seeing all their eyes staring directly at her made Sunset's heart race. She didn't even feel her brown satchel backpack slip off of her shoulder. It bounced on the floor and sent all of her school supplies scattering across the room. Quills, ink bottles, parchment, books, spell components, and her bagged lunch laid out for all to see.

"Sunset Shimmer!" A shrill, sour voice rang from the front of the classroom. A wrinkly pale blue mare with a salt and pepper black and white mane tied up in a bun scowled at the nervous filly.

"Not only are you tardy, but you have chosen to disrupt my classroom." With her magic she slapped her wooden pointing stick against the black chalkboard. The snapping sound rang in Sunset’s ears.

"No, no it's my fault, Madam Bishop," Celestia stepped elegantly into the room and the students collectively gasped at the sight of the princess. She began collecting Sunset’s spilt belongings with her magic.

"I wanted to see Sunset off on her first day and we kept getting stopped in the hall by my staff with questions about duties I'll be attending to today, and I just lost track of time."

Celestia opened Sunset’s backpack and gently placed the items back inside.

"Could you please excuse Sunset just this time?"

She refastened the bag and tucked it over Sunset’s shoulder. The poor filly hadn't moved an inch during the whole ordeal. Madam Bishop squinted her eyes at the princess, nonplussed.

"Princess Celestia, what did I tell you about coddling young Miss Shimmer? We do not accept excuses in this school. You of all ponies should know, seeing as your name is in the title."

The student's mouths were agape. They could hardly believe somepony could speak to the princess like that. Celestia stood up straight and let her chest puff out a bit.

"You are right, Madam Bishop, no excuses. But please recognize that this is my tardiness and not Sunset’s."

Madam Bishop narrowed her eyes. She appeared to grow a few extra wrinkles as she pursed her lips.

"Princess, did you not state that you had duties to attend to?"

Celestia sighed.

"Indeed I do. It looks like I'm going to be late twice today." She turned to address the class, "Have a good day, everypony. Be sure to mind Madam Bishop well." She smiled brightly, her voice filled with genuine warmth. Celestia began walking out of the classroom but turned back towards Madam Bishop.

"Oh and Bishop," she added, dropping her tone slightly, "Don't let me hear any stories of you being unfair to anypony." Celestia glanced at Sunset one more time and then exited down the hallway. Sunset looked after her. Longing for her not to leave. She jolted when Madam Bishop struck the chalkboard again.

"To your seat Miss Shimmer," she demanded.

Sunset sheepishly walked to the one open desk near the back of the class and quietly crawled into it with her head down. She began looking through her bag to pull out ink and quill.

"Where is my favorite phoenix feather quill?" She whispered as quietly as she could.

"Psst," a young filly replied from the desk next to hers.

Sunset looked up to see the blue filly who made the noise. She was holding a fire red phoenix feather quill with her magic. Sunset took it from her with her own magic. The sky blue filly had a snow white mane that gave her a majestic color scheme like that of a snow covered mountain. However, her facial expressions didn't match that majesty as she preferred to maintain a casual and goofy look.

"Thank you," Sunset mouthed, afraid to make any more noise.

"Don't mention it," her classmate winked at her, "My name's Tempest Dream." She introduced herself a little bit too loudly. Madam Bishop came and stood between their two desks.

"Miss Shimmer since you insist on further disrupting my class, perhaps you would like to answer today's topic questions."

Tempest Dream raised her hoof.

"I'm sorry, Madam Bishop, that was me talking not Sunset."

Bishop spun around and tapped her wooded pointer on Tempest's desk like a snare drum paradiddle.

"Young filly, you will speak up only when addressed. Is that understood?"

Tempest slowly lowered her hoof back down and sunk back into her seat.

"Yes, Madam Bishop." Her eyes glanced back at Sunset as if to say, 'Sorry I tried.'

Bishop looked down at Sunset’s desk again. Sunset was trying to stop herself from hyperventilating, terrified that any sound she made would set this crazy mare off.

"Component magic has three major differences to conjuration magic, what are they?" Bishop's gaze locked onto Sunset.

Sunset had done some reading and studying with Celestia, but that had been more stories about great unicorns and magic history. She hadn’t learned much of the technical aspects yet.

"Um," Sunset fiddled with her bangs. She could feel herself creating split ends in her meticulously groomed mane. "Components, and um… um…"

"And?" Bishop demanded, "You got the easy one, what are the other two?"

"I… I don't know…" Sunset couldn't stop herself from panting.

Madam Bishop scoffed out loud.

"You don't know. Well let me tell you something that I do know. Every student in this school earned their place in it except for you. If it weren't for the princess’s interference, you would be at an orphanage boarding school with the rest of the mediocre unicorns."

Sunset could feel her chest heating up. Her panting became deeper and more deliberate. Her mind was swimming in such intense anger that it blurred her vision for a moment.

Bishop continued, "So before you go whining to the princess about fairness, remember how privileged you are to even be here in the first place and ask yourself if that's fair to the rest of your classmates?"

She walked away from Sunset back towards the chalkboard. Sunset's anger was so intense she was gritting her teeth.

How dare she say that. How dare she talk about my mom that way. If only she knew, if only any of them knew.

But she couldn’t tell them. No pony could know she called the princess "mommy" behind closed doors. Her magical energy was welling up inside her. Her horn lit up, increasing in intensity every second. She could no longer think straight. She just wanted to make Madam Bishop shut up.

"Don't worry about her, she's always like that."

Sunset had been a split second away from releasing her magic in the direction of Madam Bishop. She looked over to Tempest Dream who rolled her eyes and nodded her head towards the teacher. Sunset's horn powered down and she felt a tingling release throughout her body as if water was flooding out of her hoof tips. She was dizzy from the sudden mood swing and embarrassed that she almost lost her cool. She looked around the room to see if anypony had noticed her near outburst, but saw no reaction from the class. Tempest stuck out her tongue and made a scrunchy face. Sunset covered her mouth with her hoof to giggle silently.

"Now everypony that wants to earn their grades, open to chapter four of 'Basic Magic Components.'"

Sunset obediently pulled out ink and parchment and opened her book to chapter four. She was ready to earn her grade by any means necessary.

****

Sunset and Tempest scurried down the halls of the Canterlot School for Gifted Unicorns. Lessons had ended for the day merely seconds ago and the two fillies wasted no time giggling and horsing around the campus hallways. They had spent the majority of the semester attached at the hip and were virtually inseparable. Often lectured or even scolded, their behavior was sometimes viewed as "unlady-like" and unbecoming for young unicorns of their stature. In addition to their studies, the notorious pair had spent the semester learning to hide their youthful enthusiasm from the eyes of boring adults and passerbys. One moment they would be chuckling and carrying on and the next walking upright and silent with their heads held high. It became a joke within itself to "act adult" in the presence of an authority figure. Especially if that authority happened to be Madam Bishop.

As the girls turned a corner, Sunset saw Celestia at the end of the next hall and nearly called out to her. When she saw Madam Bishop approach her adoptive mother she shied away and hid behind the corner, out of sight. Celestia and Bishop were only a few meters around the corner and down the hall. As far as she could tell she hadn't been spotted. Tempest joined Sunset and both girls were comically pressed up against the side of the school walls. Cold white painted concrete bricks pressed against their hides.

"Why are we hiding?" Tempest whispered, playing along with Sunset's spontaneous game of incognito. It was a good question. One that Sunset didn't have a good answer for.

"It's Mad Mare Bishop," was all Sunset could think of to justify her sudden actions.

"Oh," Tempest slowly nodded her head in agreement as a look of confusion persisted on her face. "But we haven't done anything."

Sunset shrugged her shoulders.

"It's Bishop, she'll think of something to yell at us for."

Their discussion stopped as Bishop rather loudly addressed the sovereign ruler of Equestria.

"There you are, Princess. I was just looking for you. I have an urgent matter to discuss." Bishop stood directly in Celestia’s path and the Princess had to stop abruptly to avoid bumping into her. Standing next to each other, Celestia was nearly double the height of the stout advisor.

Celestia audibly sighed, probably louder than she should have for politeness sake.

"Can it wait, Madam Bishop? I was on my way to…"

"I'm afraid this matter is of the utmost importance, my princess." Bishop interrupted. She bowed her head slightly but held a firm, accusatory stare at Celestia.

Celestia said nothing. She simply offered her full undivided attention. Yielding control of a conversation was a diplomatic tactic that the princess often wielded.

"I witnessed you and Miss Shimmer in the Canterlot Gardens yesterday. It appears to be a frequent spot for the two of you." Despite looking up at Celestia through her wire rimmed lenses, Bishop was clearly talking down to the Princess.

"Well yes, we do have private study together. And I find the Gardens a pleasant and suitable place to hold our lessons. Do you disagree?" Celestia cocked her head to the side. Bishop pursed her lips.

"It's more than just private lessons in the Gardens. I see you around court with Miss Shimmer on nearly a daily basis."

Sunset felt like a hole was being drilled into her stomach. It wasn't enough that she was constantly being reprimanded by Bishop. She had somehow managed to get the princess in trouble this time. Celestia rolled her eyes.

"Are you spying on me, Myrtle?" Celestia spat back lightly, but clearly annoyed. Sunset and Tempest stifled giggles at the sound of Bishop's first name. They had never heard it said out loud by anypony and it sounded just as lame as they thought.

"Spying huh," Myrtle let out a chuckle. "Spying requires intent and skill. The entire court can see you prancing about everywhere with the child and the favoritism does not look good."

Celestia remained silent. And Bishop continued.

"Need we go over this again, princess? Noble families, elected officials, esteemed royal appointees, ponies who have earned their place and esteem will become suspicious of you favoring the child." Myrtle adjusted her spectacles, confident in her reprimand of the princess.

Sunset Shimmer was beside herself. If Celestia wasn't allowed to be her mother, how long before she was abandoned again? It seemed nopony wanted anything to do with her no matter how hard she tried to be a good filly. Even if she grew into a polite and respectable mare, it wouldn't be good enough.

Her shoulders slouched as she let her head sink towards the floor. She was pressed up against the wall but now let herself slide down little by little. If she wasn't careful, she might slip off the wall and into view of Bishop. But what did it matter? Her very existence was apparently an offense.

"And what if I do favor the child? Is that so wrong?" Celestia snapped back. Her voice was calm and even, but the indignation in her tone was palpable. Madam Bishop gasped. Her voice lowered.

"My great and auspicious Princess, you have ruled peacefully and righteously for nearly a thousand years. Yet if I didn't know better, I would think that you want to start a succession crisis." Bishop's whole body jerked when she emphasized the word "want."

"Not everything is about power, Madam Bishop. Sunset Shimmer deserves family and friendship. Just the same as any other pony." Celestia's eyes wandered to the ground. She hated speaking about anypony as if they were an object.

"A princess cannot be family with a commoner. It would be disastrous for all of Equestria." Bishop shook her head in disapproval.

"I know that all too well." Celestia lifted her gaze to the ceiling.

"Then frankly, Princess, you should act like it." Bishop pursed her lips and bowed to Celestia. She calmly walked around her ruler and carried on down the hallway. Fortunately, she headed straight in the direction Celestia had come from and didn't turn to head towards where the two sneaky fillies hid.

Celestia betrayed no emotion. She didn't even turn to watch Bishop walk away. Instead she simply continued onward as if the conversation never happened.

Sunset and Tempest were once again alone in the school halls. Sunset tried to collect herself but found that she could only look at the floor. She feared that if she picked her head up she might start crying. Celestia was the only family she knew and she wasn't allowed to have it.

But then a new feeling took over Sunset. A sense that burned all throughout her veins and tightened in her chest. She was enraged. It was bad enough if Bishop didn't want her and Celestia to be close, but apparently all of pony society would reject it as well.

Why?

Why was it so bad for her adoptive mother to be her mother?

"D-do you still wanna come over to my house and play?" Tempest's voice broke through the surging cloud in Sunset's mind.

Sunset's rage was written all over her face. She looked like she was going to pounce on the nearest pony which happened to be Tempest at the moment. Feeling a little embarrassed, Sunset took in a deep breath to collect herself. Her head dizzy from de-escalating rage.

"I-I don't know." Sunset hung her head, her rage had boiled over and left her with frustrated tears stinging her eyes and an empty feeling of sadness that made her want to crawl away from the rest of the world.

"I think you have the coolest mom in Equestria." Tempest gently placed her hoof on Sunset's shoulder. Her smile was soothing for Sunset, nevertheless she shook her head in shame.

"But, you heard Mad Mare, she's not allowed to be. It's not fair!" Sunset's eyes went wide as she realized what she just admitted out loud. She shoved her hoof on top of her own mouth but it was too late.

"Nopony is supposed to know that. I'm not allowed to tell." Sunset had broken her promise to Celestia. And now both of them were at risk of getting in even more trouble. She could feel more tears welling up in her eyes, threatening to spill over, and there was nothing she could do to stop them.

Tempest leaned in close to Sunset's face until her muzzle was right in front of Sunset's nose.

"Tell me what? I didn't hear anything. La la la." Tempest gently squeezed Sunset's shoulder as her smile turned crooked into a devious grin.

Sunset chortled as only a single tear managed to escape her eye. Not wanting to say anything more revealing, she simply nodded vigorously in agreement.

"You wanna go get some ice cream?" Tempest changed the subject. Sunset felt relief trickling down her spine and into her extremities.

"Yeah… yeah ice cream sounds perfect."

The two fillies carried on giggling and smiling down the school corridors. Almost as if two secret conversations hadn't just transpired.

****